PDA

View Full Version : Sox option Santiago

siugrad25
07-30-2012, 01:47 PM
According to rotoworld.com, the Sox optioned Hector Santiago to Charlotte and filled his spot on the roster with Francisco Liriano. Don't know if this was posted elsewhere.

Noneck
07-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Makes sense, a young guy who is regarded by organization. He wont get much of a chance now , so let him work things out in the minors.

Chez
07-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Surprised they chose to keep Septimo over Santiago.

TheVulture
07-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Surprised they chose to keep Septimo over Santiago.

Take away his appearance against Boston and Septimo has allowed two hits, two walks and one run in eight innings. Of course, Santiago really hasn't done too bad himself. He's only allowed one of sixteen inherited runners to score, can't get much better than that.

SoxSpeed22
07-30-2012, 02:13 PM
At least he will get more playing time and working on that breaking ball is a must.

Lip Man 1
07-30-2012, 02:13 PM
This surprises me. I'm not a big fan of Septimo myself.

Kenny may be wanting to get Santiago work until the September 1 call up's and he may be looking for another left handed relief pitcher, we'll see.

I've been told Cooper is Septimo's biggest supporter in the organization.

Lip

doublem23
07-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Take away his appearance against Boston and Septimo has allowed two hits, two walks and one run in eight innings. Of course, Santiago really hasn't done too bad himself. He's only allowed one of sixteen inherited runners to score, can't get much better than that.

Yeah, bingo. Dude has an electric arm.

Also wouldn't shock me if the Sox wanted to get Santiago back to the minors so they could strech him out for a spot start/back-up in case of ineffectiveness/injury.

voodoochile
07-30-2012, 02:23 PM

Plus with 6 starters, there's less need for a long relier and Septimo fits the bill for LOOGY. Santiago has a decent long term upside and he just won't get many chances with the big club anymore.

LoveYourSuit
07-30-2012, 02:24 PM

Also wouldn't shock me if the Sox wanted to get Santiago back to the minors so they could strech him out for a spot start/back-up in case of ineffectiveness/injury.

That's exactly my tought.

kevingrt
07-30-2012, 02:27 PM

Plus Septimo's splits have been way more favorable for L/L match-ups then what Santiago was doing to lefties.

BigKlu59
07-30-2012, 02:31 PM
This surprises me. I'm not a big fan of Septimo myself.

Kenny may be wanting to get Santiago work until the September 1 call up's and he may be looking for another left handed relief pitcher, we'll see.

I've been told Cooper is Septimo's biggest supporter in the organization.

Lip

You got peek at Master Robin's stretch run war plans, Coach Lip. Coop must see something in Septo and the fine tuning process is in effect..

Dont let go of the bar on the roller coaster... We're in for quite a ride these next couple of months..

BK59

thomas35forever
07-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Too bad. I liked him. Hope we see more of him in the future.
:bandance:Post number 21,000!:bandance:

Tragg
07-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Too bad. I liked him. Hope we see more of him in the future.
Me too.
Wouldn't mind seeing him converted back to a starter either.

asindc
07-30-2012, 03:03 PM
I like this move. He has the right stuff, but he has to refine his location and learn how to trust his breaking stuff more.

TaylorStSox
07-30-2012, 03:50 PM
I'd prefer Veal over both. Dude's nasty!

SephClone89
07-30-2012, 03:51 PM

Read that as "tasty."

PalehosePlanet
07-30-2012, 03:54 PM

I hope Coop takes the time after the season to teach Hector a good changeup to replace the scroogie -- which he couldn't get going all year long. If he had a good changeup he'd make a solid starter.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Septimo is also out of options and they likely would have lost him had they demoted him, so this move makes sense. Santiago needs more work and a lot of innings. Making him a starter in Charlotte would help his development.

mahagga73
07-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Then why does it seem like he gives up a home run every time out ?

kittle42
07-30-2012, 04:53 PM
Then why does it seem like he gives up a home run every time out ?

Human psychology. Very interesting, memory is.

He has given up 7 homers in 32 appearances. In one of those, he gave up 2, so he has given up a homer in 6/32 appearances.

hawkjt
07-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Hector needs to work on his offspeed stuff.
Septimo is the right choice for this role,right now.

Axelrod? Is he still here? Could he get a spot start soon,with Sale shut down?

Foulke You
07-30-2012, 05:11 PM

Agreed. The screwball is what made him so effective at the end of last season and won him the closer job in Spring Training. He needs to find the feel for that pitch again because it seems to have left him and he had to rely more on his fastball through the course of the season.

JB98
07-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Human psychology. Very interesting, memory is.

He has given up 7 homers in 32 appearances. In one of those, he gave up 2, so he has given up a homer in 6/32 appearances.

Not to mention, four of those seven homers were allowed in April. Santiago has not allowed a home run in July.

It's funny how first impressions are last impressions for many fans.

JB98
07-30-2012, 05:19 PM

No, Axelrod was optioned when Crain came off the DL. No need for him to make a spot start with six starters on the roster: Sale, Peavy, Floyd, Quintana, Liriano and Humber.

Even if Sale takes a week off, you still have five others ready to go.

kittle42
07-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Not to mention, four of those seven homers were allowed in April. Santiago has not allowed a home run in July.

I *still* think Robin Ventura will never get a hit! :redneck

Foulke You
07-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Kip Wells is a future #1 or #2 starter.:tongue:

JB98
07-30-2012, 05:40 PM

Somewhere on the North Side, there is still someone who believes Fukudome is good because he hit a home run off Eric Gagne in his first MLB game.

thomas35forever
07-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Somewhere on the North Side, there is still someone who believes Fukudome is good because he hit a home run off Eric Gagne in his first MLB game.
That same person will tell us to quit living in the past regarding '05.

Brian26
07-30-2012, 07:03 PM

Number sometimes lie, too. Santiago's offspeed stuff has been tattoed all over the field in recent appearances. Warning-track outs and screaming liners leave an impression for people actually watching the games. Not talking to you directly JB, but to argue that Santiago has been effective lately is misleading.

WSox597
07-30-2012, 07:15 PM
That same person will tell us to quit living in the past regarding '05.

All the while babbling about "20 strikeouts in one game, dude!!'

SI1020
07-30-2012, 10:08 PM
Kip Wells is a future #1 or #2 starter.:tongue: I liked Kip Wells. A lot. I liked Chris Singleton too. Baseball is a very tough sport.

soxinem1
07-31-2012, 07:49 AM

I'm kind of surprised no one has really noticed this. Even though he has a history of wildness, he looked really good up here. He definitely falls into that 'always had good stuff, just never knew where it was going' category.

I hope they bring him back when needed.