PDA

View Full Version : KW not done yet

LITTLE NELL
07-29-2012, 04:04 PM
KW says that he is not done making moves, what more could he have up his sleeve?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-williams-sox-not-done-with-moves-20120729,0,2563686.story

balke
07-29-2012, 04:14 PM
KW says that he is not done making moves, what more could he have up his sleeve?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-williams-sox-not-done-with-moves-20120729,0,2563686.story

Talk that KW is in on Brandon League.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2966167#post2966167

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/mariners-close-to-trading-brandon-league.html

shenk16
07-30-2012, 10:10 AM
So what utility guys are out there that would be worth going after?

delben91
07-30-2012, 10:41 AM

I'd say focus on adding one more arm to the bullpen. Probably be utility guys on the waiver wire in the coming weeks that the Sox could get for nothing.

kittle42
07-30-2012, 10:54 AM

I can't imagine they are targeting UT guys. They're a dime a dozen.

SOXSINCE'70
07-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Can Billy Pierce still pitch??:roflmao::rolling:

siugrad25
07-30-2012, 11:14 AM
As much as I love this time of year, what could Kenny be looking to upgrade?

1) Additional bullpen arm
We've read in posts here and on various websites that the team has interest in Seattle's League but bullpen help is always a welcome relief come Aug/Sept/Oct. :D:
2) Utility infielder/outfielder
It would make sense if Kenny wants to add some depth to the roster but these pick-ups don't necessarily need to be done by tomorrow.
3) Another SP (if Floyd/Humber traded/removed)
As much as I love Kenny's trade to get Liriano, it wouldn't surprise me to see him trying upgrading further for another starter. However, I would think another SP roster move would mean the end of Floyd/Humber.
4) Upgrade at 2B?
I like Beckham but would Kenny trade Gordon at the deadline for another two-bagger?

I love the position the White Sox have put themselves into heading into the final two months of the season. Any trade above and beyond what they've already done (to me) is icing on the cake.

Tragg
07-30-2012, 11:18 AM

Thank You

And to find a 2B that has a .340 obp and who doesn't downgrade our defense would cost an enormous amount. 40 points in a batting average is 4 hits in 100 at bats. Defense prevents that many hits...do not downgrade it.

siugrad25
07-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Thank You

And to find a 2B that has a .340 obp and who doesn't downgrade our defense would cost an enormous amount. 40 points in a batting average is 4 hits in 100 at bats. Defense prevents that many hits...do not downgrade it.

Agreed. :)

Madvora
07-30-2012, 11:35 AM
I don't think any team who has a good 2B would be willing to trade him for Beckham. There would have to be a lot of other pieces involved, which I'm not sure the Sox have.

EDIT - missed the word "don't"

voodoochile
07-30-2012, 11:50 AM
I think any team who has a good 2B would be willing to trade him for Beckham. There would have to be a lot of other pieces involved, which I'm not sure the Sox have.

The way the infield defense is playing, I'd be loathe to mess with it personally, but I can understand the desire to see an offensive upgrade at second if the guy they get back can play the position close to as well.

WhiteSox56
3) Another SP (if Floyd/Humber traded/removed)
As much as I love Kenny's trade to get Liriano, it wouldn't surprise me to see him trying upgrading further for another starter. However, I would think another SP roster move would mean the end of Floyd/Humber.

maybe Beckett?

kittle42
I think any team who has a good 2B would be willing to trade him for Beckham.

Why would you say that?

Madvora
07-30-2012, 12:14 PM
The way the infield defense is playing, I'd be loathe to mess with it personally, but I can understand the desire to see an offensive upgrade at second if the guy they get back can play the position close to as well.
Why would you say that?

Whoops, I meant to type "don't think."
My point was that it's not likely someone will swap a 2B for a 2B.

Lip Man 1
07-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Like Gonzo said, they are looking for a back up infielder and a left handed relief guy.

Lip

KyWhiSoxFan
07-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Like Gonzo said, they are looking for a back up infielder and a left handed relief guy.

Lip

I can see the need for another LH reliever. Thornton makes me very nervous.

Tragg
07-30-2012, 01:38 PM

Lip

To use significant resources on either of those is dubious.

People don't trust Thornton? Really? But you'd trust the LH middle reliever on another team? They are middle relievers for a reason.

Santiago has been pretty good - a couple of bad outings inflated his stats, which aren't bad anyway. Septimo is inconsistent but not bad for a guy to be brought in to get a K.

We traded Swisher, essentially for a utility infielder and marginal pitching prospect. Don't over value back of roster players.

doublem23
07-30-2012, 01:49 PM
To use significant resources on either of those is dubious.

People don't trust Thornton? Really? But you'd trust the LH middle reliever on another team? They are middle relievers for a reason.

Santiago has been pretty good - a couple of bad outings inflated his stats, which aren't bad anyway. Septimo is inconsistent but not bad for a guy to be brought in to get a K.

We traded Swisher, essentially for a utility infielder and marginal pitching prospect. Don't over value back of roster players.

Good gravy, why don't you settle down a little bit? Maybe wait and see what KW does before jumping down his throat? Outside of the guys on the ML roster, who KW apparently balked at dealing for the #1 pitcher he coveted, the Sox don't even have much in the way of "significant resources." Can't spend what you don't have.

TheVulture
07-30-2012, 01:59 PM

The Sox need someone off the bench who can hit. I've never seen a bench hit worse than this one.

TheVulture
07-30-2012, 02:03 PM

As far I'm concerned, you'd have to be nuts to break up a double play combo the caliber of Beckham and Ramirez on a 1st place team. There's a number of reasons the Sox are in the position they are in, and that is one of the first to spring to mind. I don't think you have starting pitchers having the kind of seasons Peavy, Quintana and Sale are having without the defense these guys are providing.

Madvora
07-30-2012, 02:05 PM
The Sox need someone off the bench who can hit. I've never seen a bench hit worse than this one.
Danks is a pretty good player all around, but Hudson and Flowers can't hit.

TheVulture
07-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Danks is a pretty good player all around, but Hudson and Flowers can't hit.

I'm not convinced. Danks surely wouldn't be the guy I'd want to send in the 8th inning to face a top shelf set up man in a game breaking playoff moment. Did you see him against Ogando? He looked like had about as much chance as a high school utility player against Randy Johnson in his prime.

doublem23
07-30-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm not convinced. Danks surely wouldn't be the guy I'd want to send in the 8th inning to face a top shelf set up man in a game breaking playoff moment. Did you see him against Ogando? He looked like had about as much chance as a high school utility player against Randy Johnson in his prime.

FWIW, Ogando has a .190 BAA so far this year and strikes out about 25% of the batters that step into the box to face him, so it's not like Danks is alone by being dominated by him.

Madvora
07-30-2012, 02:46 PM

If you're talking about a Warren Newson type, then yeah, they could use that.

kittle42
07-30-2012, 03:36 PM

Escobar was not one of those guys, either. If not saying that you're saying he was, just making a point.

mahagga73
07-30-2012, 05:42 PM
As far I'm concerned, you'd have to be nuts to break up a double play combo the caliber of Beckham and Ramirez on a 1st place team. There's a number of reasons the Sox are in the position they are in, and that is one of the first to spring to mind. I don't think you have starting pitchers having the kind of seasons Peavy, Quintana and Sale are having without the defense these guys are providing.
This talk of replacing Beckham is insane for the above reason and the fact there is a dearth of good hitting second baseman anyway. Gordon's glove is worth several runs a year. The Sox aren't going to deal him anytime soon. As soon as they do he will come into his own and start hitting like he should be.

palehozenychicty
07-30-2012, 07:50 PM
This talk of replacing Beckham is insane for the above reason and the fact there is a dearth of good hitting second baseman anyway. Gordon's glove is worth several runs a year. The Sox aren't going to deal him anytime soon. As soon as they do he will come into his own and start hitting like he should be.

Exactamundo. I don't see anyone like Utley or Cano laying around to take his spot.