PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 7-28 Dunn, PK Brand the Horsehide; SOX 5 TEX 2 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
07-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Nice job by Humber and the pen to limit the damage even when the Rangers threatened.

Good to score five runs even with three starters ailing.

Great play by Beckham to get the second out of the ninth, and Danks had a great running catch in the deepest part of the park earlier in the game.

ChiSoxGal85
07-28-2012, 09:50 PM
2.5 games up!! Good stuff. Humber did a nice job bouncing back from his last outing.

CoopaLoop
07-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Well Humber vs Harrison certainly was the mismatch it looked like on paper!

Frater Perdurabo
07-28-2012, 09:52 PM
The bullpen is shaping up nicely. Crain, Thornton and Myers are interchangeable based on matchups in the 7th and 8th to set up Reed to close. Septimo and Jones are OK for the 6th or in extras when necessary, and Santiago is acceptable in long relief or blowouts.

JB98
07-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Well Humber vs Harrison certainly was the mismatch it looked like on paper!

Also, the Sox got this win even though three regulars are out of the lineup with assorted injuries.

CoopaLoop
07-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Gave up 5 games in 5 days to Detroit last week and made up 4 games in 5 days this week

voodoochile
07-28-2012, 09:54 PM
On a night when the Sox needed help from their big guns, that's exactly what they got. With the kittens and toons both losing again, things are looking up...

Nice job by Humber and the bullpen too...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

nofluke69
07-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Great win tonight.....

Thornton makes me nervous all the time, and consistently gets hit hard (even the outs he makes).

Does he have anything other than 94mph flat fastball?

DumpJerry
07-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Gave up 5 games in 5 days to Detroit last week and made up 4 games in 5 days this week
:scratch: We played them three times.

SoxThunder
Great sliding catch by Viciedo with 2 on, 2 out in the 7th! Great win...now let's sweep these guys again tomorrow!!!!! :D

all*star quentin
Keep Winning! :gulp:

SephClone89

Five games in five days in the standings, I'm assuming.

CoopaLoop
07-28-2012, 09:57 PM

And?

Tragg
We're back at our double high marks: 2.5 up and 10 games over.

Nice win with our "ozzie lineup"

The rotation is pitching well again; we have 4 dependable bullpen pitchers, plus Jones and Santiago.
We could use a bench bat and that's about it.

Frater Perdurabo
With Humber seemingly on the way back to being good, I am not sure the Sox need to mortgage the farm for a top notch starter. It might be almost as helpful to get a starter who can eat innings in order to give Sale and Peavy a breather.

PalehosePlanet
Great job by Humber and the pen, especially Jesse in the 7th (Welcome back Jesse!)

The O did great, considering we never hit Harrison.

So....after losing 5 games in the standings last week, we bounce back and gain 4 back this week? Wow, on Monday morning I wouldn't have put down $20 on 100-1 odds that we'd be back up by 2.5 as of Saturday night. This team has fight and heart; LOVE IT!

CoopaLoop
07-28-2012, 09:58 PM
With Humber seemingly on the way back to being good, I am not sure the Sox need to mortgage the farm for a top notch starter. It might be almost as helpful to get a starter who can eat innings in order to give Sale and Peavy a breather.

Let's not get nutty about Humber. He is an inconsistent pitcher.

Frater Perdurabo
07-28-2012, 10:02 PM
We could use a bench bat and that's about it.

Could Dan Johnson (.909 OPS at Charlotte) fit the bill? Seems like he would be an improvement over Hudson, who really isn't contributing anything.

PalehosePlanet
07-28-2012, 10:03 PM

And how many #5's around the league are consistent?

PalehosePlanet
07-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Could Dan Johnson (.909 OPS at Charlotte) fit the bill? Seems like he would be an improvement over Hudson, who really isn't contributing anything.

Absolutely, especially since he has pinch hitting experience and a left handed bat w/pop. Hudson is no longer needed.

Tragg
07-28-2012, 10:04 PM

I don't know why we haven't pulled him or someone up before now. We certainly don't need 2 utility infielders. And it would be nice to be able to PH for a guy once in a while; although the only one we'd PH for would be Beckham or all of our bench bats, which are weak.

Frater Perdurabo
07-28-2012, 10:05 PM

No nuttiness. He's a fifth starter, but he's one of the better fifth starters in the majors. He'd be a #4 on a lot of teams.

JB98
07-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Great win tonight.....

Thornton makes me nervous all the time, and consistently gets hit hard (even the outs he makes).

Does he have anything other than 94mph flat fastball?

The double by Murphy was on a hanging slider.

Tragg
07-28-2012, 10:06 PM
If you really want to roll the dice on a pitcher, see if the Cubs will take 2 C+ prospects for Garza.

CoopaLoop
07-28-2012, 10:07 PM
And how many #5's around the league are consistent?

Not many, but the poster I replied to stated Humber's performance should keep KW from going after a front line starter.

all*star quentin
07-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Ken Rosenthal
#WhiteSox announce acquisition of LHP Francisco Liriano from #Twins for #IF Eduardo Escobar and LHP Pedro Hernandez.

Posted in this thread: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=135316

guillensdisciple
07-28-2012, 10:14 PM

Baseball is a strange game.

We are now 8-7 since the all star break.

Tragg
07-28-2012, 10:17 PM
No nuttiness. He's a fifth starter, but he's one of the better fifth starters in the majors. He'd be a #4 on a lot of teams.
Exactly.

Frater Perdurabo
07-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Exactly.

And now he's a sixth starter.

cards press box
07-28-2012, 10:57 PM

And now he's a sixth starter.

Always nice when the Sox 5th/6th starter beats the Rangers' All-Star starter, in their ballpark no less!

:winner

Lip Man 1
07-29-2012, 12:02 AM
Humber pitched very well tonight (maybe the reports which have now happened, about the Sox getting a starter were motivation...)

The five game losing streak has been made up and as it turned out they only lose one game in the standings and chop games off the schedule.

Nicely done, this could turn out to be a good road trip.

Lip

johnnyg83
07-29-2012, 12:16 AM
We are now 8-7 since the all star break.

Not so bad considering we've had just 3 of the 15 at home.

LITTLE NELL
07-29-2012, 06:42 AM
This team has cojones, after the tough loss in Boston and then losing 3 straight to Detroit they come right back and win 5 in a row and now hold a 2.5 game lead. This time they just might keep it going all the way to October.

palehozenychicty
07-29-2012, 07:55 AM
Just looked at the box score. This is a nice win. Harrison had given them fits, and that place is tough on any opponent.

If Liriano can throw well, we may have a chance in the end.

October26
07-29-2012, 08:30 AM
Great sliding catch by Viciedo with 2 on, 2 out in the 7th! Great win...now let's sweep these guys again tomorrow!!!!! :D

:thumbsup: to your post and Viciedo's catch.

I will say that seeing Viciedo make these sliding catches and land on his wrist or shoulder (he's made several of these this year) makes me nervous as I fear he will be injured. I have to give Tank an "A" for effort, though, he's played great this year. :D:

I'm glad other posters mentioned Hudson. I had forgotten that he was still on the Sox. :redface:

Big game tonight. Get the sweep and keep on winning, White Sox!

slavko
07-29-2012, 09:20 AM

I will say that seeing Viciedo make these sliding catches and land on his wrist or shoulder (he's made several of these this year) makes me nervous as I fear he will be injured. I have to give Tank an "A" for effort, though, he's played great this year. :D:

I'm glad other posters mentioned Hudson. I had forgotten that he was still on the Sox. :redface:

Tank's idea of sliding is my idea of being mugged. :D: I'm with you that Hudson's a utility infielder, remember, guys? Morel's being promoted. He'll be here before too long. If his back is good, he'll hit this year's last 6 weeks like he did last year's last 6 weeks.

LongLiveFisk
07-29-2012, 10:07 AM
This team has cojones, after the tough loss in Boston and then losing 3 straight to Detroit they come right back and win 5 in a row and now hold a 2.5 game lead. This time they just might keep it going all the way to October.

It's definitely nice to see them bounce back. I think Robin has a lot to do with that. :cool:

voodoochile
07-29-2012, 11:18 AM

Tanks seems to be one of those natural athletes. A guy who doesn't always look graceful but makes things happen. To use a phrase I remember from when Fridge was drafted - he's a knee bender.

voodoochile
07-29-2012, 11:19 AM
It's definitely nice to see them bounce back. I think Robin has a lot to do with that. :cool:

Agreed. Can anyone picture how the ultra-emo Ozzie would have reacted after last week? Robin just keeps on keeping on and his team does too.

kufram
07-29-2012, 12:05 PM

Viciedo definitely gets an A for effort. Also, Viciedo and Beckham were not spectators when TCM and De Aza collided. They were both right where they were supposed to be and were able to get an out ... that is what a good defensive team does.

Hitmen77
07-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Yesterday was the 100th game of the season. I hope the Sox can stay on top of the Central for the last 62......and then add 11 post season wins after that!

October26
07-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Tank's idea of sliding is my idea of being mugged. I'm with you that Hudson's a utility infielder, remember, guys? Morel's being promoted. He'll be here before too long. If his back is good, he'll hit this year's last 6 weeks like he did last year's last 6 weeks.

Sounds good to me although I haven't heard any rumblings about this?

Tanks seems to be one of those natural athletes. A guy who doesn't always look graceful but makes things happen. To use a phrase I remember from when Fridge was drafted - he's a knee bender.

You're right, Tank is not graceful but he makes things happen. I enjoy watching Viciedo play.

Viciedo definitely gets an A for effort. Also, Viciedo and Beckham were not spectators when TCM and De Aza collided. They were both right where they were supposed to be and were able to get an out ... that is what a good defensive team does.

Good point - Sox defense has been terrific this year.

Noneck
07-29-2012, 05:48 PM
Morel's being promoted. He'll be here before too long. If his back is good, he'll hit this year's last 6 weeks like he did last year's last 6 weeks.

I see no need for Morel till the roster opens up. If Youk gets hurt, then things change.