PDA

View Full Version : Selig On Changes To Instant Replay

#1swisher
07-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Plans on adding trapped balls in the OF, and bullets down the LF/RF line.
There is no timetable, but the Commissioner said in Jan. it won't happen during the 2012 season or postseason.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120727&content_id=35684736&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb&partnerId=aw-5221471685151065363-996

SaltyPretzel
07-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Couldn't they do something like they have in tennis for fair and foul balls down the line?

Nellie_Fox
07-29-2012, 01:10 AM
Plans on adding trapped balls in the OF, and bullets down the LF/RF line.
There is no timetable, but the Commissioner said in Jan. it won't happen during the 2012 season or postseason. I can't wait to see how they handle it when a ball that was ruled foul is found to be fair, or a ball that was called a catch is ruled a trap on replay. How will they know how far base runners would have advanced? After all, once the "foul" or "out" call is made, they'll stop running and go back to their bases. The arguments ought to be amazing.

SBSoxFan
07-29-2012, 07:44 AM
I can't wait to see how they handle it when a ball that was ruled foul is found to be fair, or a ball that was called a catch is ruled a trap on replay. How will they know how far base runners would have advanced? After all, once the "foul" or "out" call is made, they'll stop running and go back to their bases. The arguments ought to be amazing.

It would probably be easiest to handle it the same way a ground-rule double is handled vs. fan interference. The former is a 2 base advance while the latter is subject to umpire discretion. Most traps occur when an outfielder is coming in for a ball. So, that would be 1 base while a ball down either line would be 2 bases.

After seeing Flowers throw out two Ranger base runners last night, I'd like to see steal attempts added to the list of reviewable plays.

Scottiehaswheels
07-29-2012, 08:23 AM
I still don't understand why the official scorer can't be used to relay correct calls down to the umps for all calls that are incorrect.

Nellie_Fox
07-30-2012, 02:11 AM
I still don't understand why the official scorer can't be used to relay correct calls down to the umps for all calls that are incorrect.Because the official scorer is provided by the home team.

NardiWasHere
07-30-2012, 03:20 AM
I still don't understand why the official scorer can't be used to relay correct calls down to the umps for all calls that are incorrect.

Because the official scorer is provided by the home team.

If you want replay, just hire an extra ump and sit him next to the scorer and a television set and have him point out obvious mistakes. Anything else sucks. Hell, you could put a few guys in a room in NYC watching a bunch of games at once to do the same thing to save $.

I hate replay in sports.

chisox59
07-31-2012, 01:54 AM
I can't wait to see how they handle it when a ball that was ruled foul is found to be fair, or a ball that was called a catch is ruled a trap on replay. How will they know how far base runners would have advanced? After all, once the "foul" or "out" call is made, they'll stop running and go back to their bases. The arguments ought to be amazing.

They'll basically be going from one judgement call to another and that will create just as much controversey. Maybe they'll decide to work it like we did as kids and have a "do over". We all know the biggest difference makers in the game are the ball and strike decisions but I don't want electronic umpires. We've lived with human error for 100+ years in this game and we can keep on living with it. I'm getting a bit tired of this sport trying to mimic what they do in football. It's a different game.

central44
07-31-2012, 07:13 AM
We've lived with human error for 100+ years in this game and we can keep on living with it.

I'm in the camp that wants to see the correct call every single time, if possible. In the early 1900s they had no choice but to live with human error--nowadays the technology to move away from that is all there, we just choose not to use it. For instance--we see the pitch tracker after every single pitch and can immediatly tell whether it was a ball or strike.

Personally I think the botched call that cost Detroit a perfect game a few years back was the beginning of a movement that will eventually result in a dramatic shift as to how games are officiated. If a missed call ever dramatically impacts a World Series, things will get very interesting.

Irishsoxfan
07-31-2012, 09:20 AM
I'd rather have no technology than risk moving towards a scenario where balls & strikes are called by pitch trax or similar. My worry is that each year another human element to the game will disappear. The fact that mistakes are made (or not made as the case may be) is why some games are still talked about years later.

#1swisher
08-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Source: MLB owners approved the trial of two advanced instant-replay systems to be used in games beginning next week.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120817&content_id=36851972&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

FielderJones
08-17-2012, 07:21 PM
I can't wait for the day when balls and strikes are called electronically, and element of the vindictive umpire is removed from the game. No teal.

RKMeibalane
08-17-2012, 08:10 PM
I'm in the camp that wants to see the correct call every single time, if possible. In the early 1900s they had no choice but to live with human error--nowadays the technology to move away from that is all there, we just choose not to use it. For instance--we see the pitch tracker after every single pitch and can immediatly tell whether it was a ball or strike.

Personally I think the botched call that cost Detroit a perfect game a few years back was the beginning of a movement that will eventually result in a dramatic shift as to how games are officiated. If a missed call ever dramatically impacts a World Series, things will get very interesting.

The St. Louis Cardinals would like to have a word with you. :cool:

RKMeibalane
08-17-2012, 08:11 PM
I can't wait for the day when balls and strikes are called electronically, and element of the vindictive umpire is removed from the game. No teal.

You mean that people don't want to see Joe West call games? Ridiculous!

MarksBrokenFoot
08-17-2012, 08:46 PM
I'd rather have no technology than risk moving towards a scenario where balls & strikes are called by pitch trax or similar. My worry is that each year another human element to the game will disappear. The fact that mistakes are made (or not made as the case may be) is why some games are still talked about years later.

Injustice isn't a spice, it is a contaminant. I don't care how much you enjoy E.Coli on your pizza because "that's the way it's always been," I'll take my pizza made by androids with no bacteria, thanks.

SephClone89
08-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Injustice isn't a spice, it is a contaminant. I don't care how much you enjoy E.Coli on your pizza because "that's the way it's always been," I'll take my pizza made by androids with no bacteria, thanks.

Awesome.

Irishsoxfan
08-18-2012, 04:27 AM

That's not what I said, I'm not against change in baseball. I said I prefer the human element in officiating over an electronic one with a particular emphasis on the calling of balls and strikes.

Red Barchetta
08-18-2012, 11:10 AM

Exactly, and how many times have the umpires decision to call the pitch a ball or strike was different than what the pitch tracker displayed?!

I hate seeing replay get involved in baseball. Over the years we've seen human error cost games and perfect games from being pitched. That's part of the drama. With football and basketball, there is a time element where electronics comes into play in order to manage the games and so replay is now a natural part of that evolvement. Baseball has no such requirements.

If anything, as mentioned, add another umpire up in the press box who has access to replay and can overturn a field umpire's decision (non balls/strikes) only when requested by the crew chief. Perhaps limit the amount of requests per team, similar to NFL red flags.

If replay is used when base runners are involved, the same out of bounds rules should apply.

MarksBrokenFoot
08-18-2012, 12:40 PM
That's not what I said, I'm not against change in baseball. I said I prefer the human element in officiating over an electronic one with a particular emphasis on the calling of balls and strikes.

That's what I said. You prefer mistakes because you view mistakes as a spice. I view mistakes as mistakes. If the machine is 100% accurate, why do you want the human element? Ok, it's not because you fear change, you just really, really enjoy seeing people get screwed. I don't find that to be a compelling reason to keep the human element.

Frater Perdurabo
08-18-2012, 01:01 PM
I want automated ball and strike calls. I detest double standards.

At a minimum, I want computers to determine if the pitch is over the plate. I understand that high and low may be a judgment call because different players have different stances and heights, and even the way their uniform fits. But the ball is either over the plate or it is not.

Or would someone like to explain why baseball is better when an egotistical prick like Joe West unnecessarily inserts himself into the game, or exacts revenge for the heinous crime of having the unrepentant gall to question his flawed, biased judgment, by giving one team's pitcher a strike that is even an inch off the plate, while squeezing the less-favored opposing pitcher?

Because if you favor "the human element," you necessarily and by definition prefer a system in which Joe West can do and does just that.

amsteel
08-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Baseball has to be one of a few (only?) professions where human inaccuracy is accepted, even celebrated.

As an analogy: If I designed a levee system and in doing so ignored all the technology available to me, and when it inevitably failed I blamed it on the human element, I would be in jail for a good long while.

Give umps a 10 year ultimatum, pay them off handsomely and bring in the robots and lasers that will make us question why we didn't bring them in sooner.

Irishsoxfan
08-20-2012, 07:39 AM
I spent quite some time reflecting on this during the course of two games yesterday - I was in right field so I had some free time. The umpires on the day were decent, not exceptional but they did adjust over the course of the day. Ultimately both games ended fairly and the umpires were never the talking point. I asked myself would either of the games be improved by some Joe West theatrics and the honest answered was no. We have umpires that make Joe West look good so I take the points made earlier and accept my initial stance was flawed. I still do have a preference for the human element in officiating. In that regard I wish MLB had a standard that was above the Joe Wests of this world and adhered to it. I think baseball has many nuances that a computer would remove from the game - hitters adjusting to a particular umpires zone being one example that makes playing the game more challenging.

SOXSINCE'70
08-20-2012, 10:21 AM
You mean that people don't want to see Joe West call games? Ridiculous!
Don't forget this one:

:hawk

"You gotta be beepin' me!! What are you doing,Wegner?!?!?"

#1swisher
11-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Joe Torre, executive vice president of baseball operations told reporters on Wednesday after the first day of the annual General Managers Meetings at the Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort.

Both the replay and roster issues were discussed, as the three days of meetings opened. They've also been discussed at the league level by Commissioner Bud Selig's select 14-person committee that studies potential on-field changes to the game. Torre is a member of that committee.

Torre said he decided to discuss further expansion of replay after calls in this year's postseason were considered questionable. MLB also is reviewing the rule that allows active rosters to expand from 25 to as many as 40 players between Sept. 1 until the end of the season.