PDA

View Full Version : Sox paying $1 million to Ray?

hold2dibber
07-26-2002, 12:11 PM
According to the Sporting News, the Sox are picking up $1 million of the $2.1 million due to Ray for the remainder of the year. The article also discusses the possibility that draft picks will not be given as compensation for free agents that depart this winter and says that many in baseball think that will become reality.

http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/ken_rosenthal/20020725.html

KruseControl04
07-26-2002, 12:25 PM
I read in the paper this morning that the A's were going to pick up the rest of Ray's contract and that they sent the White Sox cash.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-26-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
According to the Sporting News, the Sox are picking up $1 million of the $2.1 million due to Ray for the remainder of the year. The article also discusses the possibility that draft picks will not be given as compensation for free agents that depart this winter and says that many in baseball think that will become reality.

http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/ken_rosenthal/20020725.html

Again, Rosenthal is not saying anything about implementing new work rules for the 2002-03 free agents. In fact, he speculates that the PLAYERS are the ones asking the compensation picks be eliminated. How does that square with the current negotiations where its the OWNERS who are demanding givebacks?

There is no deal. Rosenthal speculates that at some point in the future, compensation picks will be eliminated. It's highly doubtful this has any bearing on the Sox' situation with free agent Ray Durham.

hold2dibber
07-26-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Again, Rosenthal is not saying anything about implementing new work rules for the 2002-03 free agents. In fact, he speculates that the PLAYERS are the ones asking the compensation picks be eliminated. How does that square with the current negotiations where its the OWNERS who are demanding givebacks?

There is no deal. Rosenthal speculates that at some point in the future, compensation picks will be eliminated. It's highly doubtful this has any bearing on the Sox' situation with free agent Ray Durham.

I agree that there is clearly is no deal at this time, but he's talking about work rules for the '02-'03 free agents (the whole article is about the Phillies possibly not getting draft choice compensation if Rolen walks after this season (i.e., the same time Ray would have walked from the Sox)). Obviously, he's still just speculating that this might occur -- and of course, it might not. The question, if you're KW, is whether you're betting off rolling the dice on possibly not getting any compensation at all, or do you deal to save money and hope to find a diamond in the rough prospect.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-26-2002, 01:23 PM
...The question, if you're KW, is whether you're betting off rolling the dice on possibly not getting any compensation at all, or do you deal to save money and hope to find a diamond in the rough prospect.

Your guess is as good as mine what we might have gotten had the Sox received compensation picks.

I know this. We got Jim Parque with the compensation pick we earned after Alex Fernandez left via free agency in 1996-97. Parque was a true prospect, not the roster filler this Jon Adkins obviously is.

steff
07-26-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by KruseControl04
I read in the paper this morning that the A's were going to pick up the rest of Ray's contract and that they sent the White Sox cash.

What paper was that..? Sun Times, Trib, Southtown, and The Herald all state the Sox gave the A's cash.. which they did. Also states that on ESPN.Com, MLB.Com, and CNNSI.com.

steff
07-26-2002, 01:31 PM
According to the Sporting News, the Sox are picking up $1 million of the $2.1 million due to Ray for the remainder of the year.

From what I have been told..In addition to Oakland, the Sox will still be issuing checks payable to Ray for the remainder of the year.

The Sox royaly got screwed on this deal.

hold2dibber
07-26-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Your guess is as good as mine what we might have gotten had the Sox received compensation picks.

I know this. We got Jim Parque with the compensation pick we earned after Alex Fernandez left via free agency in 1996-97. Parque was a true prospect, not the roster filler this Jon Adkins obviously is.

I tend to agree. I would be inclined to roll the dice on getting a draft pick -- a sandwich pick would certainly be more valuable than Adkins appears to be.