PDA

View Full Version : Zach Grienke goes to LAAA

soxinem1
07-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Looks like KW's fav is no longer available:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/angels-close-to-acquiring-zack-greinke.html

And I'm kind of glad because we do not need another over-paying fiasco like with Swisher and Jackson for a guy who turned down $100 million to stay in MIL.

WhiteSoxOnly
07-27-2012, 06:34 PM
****...anytime the Sox go up against LAA for anybody we seem to come up short. Torii Hunter, Abreu i think. Now Greinke. Sigh.

SoxFanCPA
07-27-2012, 06:38 PM
****...anytime the Sox go up against LAA for anybody we seem to come up short. Torii Hunter, Abreu i think. Now Greinke. Sigh.

Paul Konerko

WhiteSoxOnly
07-27-2012, 06:42 PM
Paul Konerko

Ah yes, thanks pal i needed that. :wink:

wsoxfan
07-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Anyone else think KW goes stealth mode and try to get Felix Hernandez now? We know he loves the splashy moves. And yes, I am just guessing/wishful thinking but with KW you never know. I don't even know if the Sox have the talent to send the Mariners to make that trade but we all know KW doesn't like to sit on his hands, especially during this time of year. Just my 2 cents...

DSpivack
07-27-2012, 06:46 PM
Anyone else think KW goes stealth mode and try to get Felix Hernandez now? We know he loves the splashy moves. And yes, I am just guessing/wishful thinking but with KW you never know. I don't even know if the Sox have the talent to send the Mariners to make that trade but we all know KW doesn't like to sit on his hands, especially during this time of year. Just my 2 cents...

I don't think Seattle will trade him.

DonnieDarko
07-27-2012, 06:46 PM

If Williams somehow manages to get a hold on Felix Hernandez I will be ecstatic.

slavko
07-27-2012, 06:50 PM
Hollywood Zach. Has a nice ring to it.

soxinem1
07-27-2012, 06:57 PM
If Williams somehow manages to get a hold on Felix Hernandez I will be ecstatic.

I think Millwood might be a more realistic target.

Dick Allen
07-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Sox play the Angels next weekend. Crap.

central44
07-27-2012, 07:30 PM

I don't *expect* them to move Hernandez, but that doesn't mean I would be surprised to see it happen. They just traded Ichiro, who has value well beyond the baseball field due to the revenue he brings in from overseas.

Really, they have no reason to hold on to him at this point. But I do expect them to ask for a bit in return. Definitely more than Grienke would command.

sullythered
07-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Hollywood Zach. Has a nice ring to it.

Sure, if he woulda gone to the Dodgers. Ain't no Hollywood in Anaheim.

HomeFish
07-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Disneyland Zach

Tragg
07-27-2012, 08:37 PM
I think Millwood might be a more realistic target.

We have a staff full of Milwoods.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-27-2012, 08:47 PM
I'm shocked the haul the brewers got for him. 3 top 10 prospects, including 2 future gamers? Segura was the angels top guy behind trout at the start of the year. Not a bad haul for 2 months of Greinke.

Hitmen77
07-27-2012, 09:16 PM
I'm shocked the haul the brewers got for him. 3 top 10 prospects, including 2 future gamers? Segura was the angels top guy behind trout at the start of the year. Not a bad haul for 2 months of Greinke.

If that's what LAA gave up, maybe the Angels feel confident in signing Grienke an extension (that was not going to happen with the Sox).

DSpivack
07-27-2012, 09:35 PM
If that's what LAA gave up, maybe the Angels feel confident in signing Grienke an extension (that was not going to happen with the Sox).

The Angels probably could re-sign him. They have Torii Hunter and Ervin Santana, among others, coming off the books after this season.
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/?page_id=94

soxinem1
07-27-2012, 09:39 PM
We have a staff full of Milwoods.

Who are the other Millwood's?

Jake Millwood?
Chris Millwood?
Jose Millwood?
Gavin Millwood?
Phil Millwood?

SephClone89
07-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Gotta feel pretty good when Dan Haren's your fourth starter.

Lip Man 1
07-27-2012, 11:02 PM
I don't know the Angels system but I was going to post that it's amazing they got him without (according to a story on ESPN.com) giving up their top prospects.

The story doesn't think they gave up much at all for him.

Lip

SOX ADDICT '73
07-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Sox play the Angels next weekend. Crap.
Greinke's record against the Sox, as I recall, is not so good - especially at USCF.

DSpivack
07-27-2012, 11:09 PM
I don't know the Angels system but I was going to post that it's amazing they got him without (according to a story on ESPN.com) giving up their top prospects.

The story doesn't think they gave up much at all for him.

Lip

Segura was their top position prospect according to this ESPN story.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/8207299/milwaukee-brewers-trade-rhp-zack-greinke-los-angeles-angels

And Keith Law thinks the Angels paid a significant price.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/reactions-to-the-zack-greinke-trade.html

Tragg
07-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Angels also have their middle infield signed for extensions for several years.

Hopefully we'll get our system loaded with high ceiling players so that we can afford to give up a few of them in a trade like this.
But for now, I'm glad Kenny has been able to accumulate some low ceiling pitchers but who can pitch in the majors, as we've needed and used them.

PeteWard
07-28-2012, 12:47 AM
If he does well, and Det pulls ahead, this could hurt the Sox for the wildcard chase. I have a feeling he will be just average.

sullythered
07-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Gotta feel pretty good when Dan Haren's your fourth starter.

Yeah, though our fourth starter is having almost exactly the same season (slightly better).

Dan Haren: 8-8, 4.59 ERA, 1.37 WHIP, 95 SO, .286 BAA
Gavin Floyd: 8-8, 4.46 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, 92 SO, .257 BAA

Dick Allen
07-28-2012, 09:22 AM
Greinke's record against the Sox, as I recall, is not so good - especially at USCF.Where he shut them out a month or so ago.

Tragg
07-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Who are the other Millwood's?

Jake Millwood?
Chris Millwood?
Jose Millwood?
Gavin Millwood?
Phil Millwood?
Dylan Milwood
Phil Milwood
Gavin Milwood has more stuff but similar results.
Milwood has made a nice living as a back-end starter on good teams.

Lip Man 1
07-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Angels - Rangers is becoming the new Red Sox - Yankees as in getting every available talent on the market that they can regardless of cost.

TV rights money is fueling this.

Lip

SOX ADDICT '73
07-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Where he shut them out a month or so ago.
And where, until that game, he was an impressive 1-7 with a 6.48 ERA.

Soxman219
07-28-2012, 12:49 PM

I'd make the call for World Series tickets if the Sox get King Felix.

Lip Man 1
07-28-2012, 03:46 PM
For what it's worth department.

Was working on the kitchen listening to ESPN radio. Buster Olney was talking about the Grienke deal.

He said the Angels are "all in" this year to win, money is not an object with them. Thinks they have a great shot to sign Grienke to a long term deal.

Regarding the prospects the Angels gave for a potential #1 starter, he said Segura (sorry about the spelling) is a good prospect but strikes out to much and his future is probably going to be at second base. Regarding the two pitchers he said they are not "blue chip" prospects or guaranteed to make the big leagues. He said there was nothing special about them at this time.

At least according to what Olney is saying it looks like the Angels might have got him for relatively little even if it's a two month rental.

Wonder what Kenny offered?

Lip

CoopaLoop
07-28-2012, 04:25 PM
For what it's worth department.

Was working on the kitchen listening to ESPN radio. Buster Olney was talking about the Grienke deal.

He said the Angels are "all in" this year to win, money is not an object with them. Thinks they have a great shot to sign Grienke to a long term deal.

Regarding the prospects the Angels gave for a potential #1 starter, he said Segura (sorry about the spelling) is a good prospect but strikes out to much and his future is probably going to be at second base. Regarding the two pitchers he said they are not "blue chip" prospects or guaranteed to make the big leagues. He said there was nothing special about them at this time.

At least according to what Olney is saying it looks like the Angels might have got him for relatively little even if it's a two month rental.

Wonder what Kenny offered?

Lip

The Angels gave up two prospects in the top 100 of baseball and three from their own top 10. That is a good haul for any rental with no compensation pick anymore.

Lip Man 1
07-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Coopa:

Just telling you what the man said... apparently he disagrees with your assesment.

I have no idea who's right in this just passing on the info.

Lip

kittle42
07-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Coopa:

Just telling you what the man said... apparently he disagrees with your assesment.

I have no idea who's right in this just passing on the info.

Lip

Actually, he could still be right and not be in disagreement.