PDA

View Full Version : Wee Willie Scouting Report?


DrCrawdad
07-26-2002, 11:57 AM
Wee Willie Scouting Report?

We all will soon enough see for ourselves Wee Willie on a regular basis, but I was wondering what the experts think of the Wee Willie.

What do you think of Wee Willie's hitting? Base running? And is Wee Willie a decent defensive 2nd baseman? Better than Ray (I hope)?

:weewillie
:ray
I'll call him Minnie Me.

hold2dibber
07-26-2002, 12:18 PM
I have no scouting info, but his stats are only so-so at Charlotte:

Avg: .287
OBP: .345
SLG: .397
HR: 5
RBI: 33
BB: 43
K: 61
SB: 33
CS: 14

I do believe that Durham's MLB numbers this year are better than Harris' AAA numbers in every category except SBs. Thus, I for one would not expect Harris to be better than, or even close to as good as, Durham, at least not this year (or ever, actually). Also, keep in mind that the Orioles trade Harris despite the fact that their current 2B is Jerry Hairston, Jr., who's not exactly Honus Wagner at 2B.

guillen4life13
07-26-2002, 12:36 PM
that 14 CS's is also very worrying, but I think that willie will come through.

DrCrawdad
07-26-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I do believe that Durham's MLB numbers this year are better than Harris' AAA numbers in every category except SBs. Thus, I for one would not expect Harris to be better than, or even close to as good as, Durham, at least not this year (or ever, actually). Also, keep in mind that the Orioles trade Harris despite the fact that their current 2B is Jerry Hairston, Jr., who's not exactly Honus Wagner at 2B.

I wonder what kind of numbers Ray put up at AAA.

Hairston is a much, much better fielder than Ray. Hairston is not close to Ray offensively though.

DrCrawdad
07-26-2002, 02:19 PM
Comparison of the AAA numbers of Wee Willie Harris to Cub Uber-Prospect Bobbie Hill.

Harris 24 yrs old.
Bobby Hill is 24 yrs old.

Player G AB R H 2B 3B HR TB RBI BB SO SB CS AVG
Harris 89 360 54 102 16 5 5 143 33 33 61 32 14 .283
Bo Hill 65 246 54 68 13 3 4 99 23 32 47 19 4 .276


K/AB
Harris 17%
Hill 19%

Success rate of SB
Harris 70%
Hill 83%

(Sorry but I'm not quite sure how to get the numbers to line up.)

steff
07-26-2002, 03:10 PM
He'll go down with a bum leg.

steff
07-26-2002, 03:14 PM
And.. he'll be a little f'er in the clubhouse too... with his "woo hoo, look at me Mr. Bigleager".

duke of dorwood
07-26-2002, 03:23 PM
By playing both center and second, he probably isnt great at either one. He will put up Ray-type error #.

MisterB
07-26-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad


I wonder what kind of numbers Ray put up at AAA.


Knew that '95 Sox program would come in handy someday...

Ray Durham - '94 Nashville Sounds (AAA)

.296/.364/.495, 89 runs, 33 doubles, 12 triples*, 16 HRs, 66 rbi, 46 bb, 91 k, 34 sb, 11 cs, 19 errors*

*= led or tied for league lead

Randar68
07-26-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
By playing both center and second, he probably isnt great at either one. He will put up Ray-type error #.

Willie is by far a better defensive 2B in terms of consistency.

DrCrawdad
07-26-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Randar68


Willie is by far a better defensive 2B in terms of consistency.

I'm glad to hear that.

Ray frustrated me continually with his gaffes and errors at 2nd.

DrCrawdad
07-28-2002, 11:37 AM
I saw a link to this article. I believe it's written by an Oriole fan. It's interesting perspective though.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/minors02/Willie_Harris01.htm