07-25-2012, 04:11 PM
What say you?

Marqhead
07-25-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm out of my element.

SephClone89
07-25-2012, 04:17 PM
1. It's stupid.

2. He's been saying it since at least last year; maybe even 2010.

spawn
07-25-2012, 04:18 PM
1. It's stupid.

2. He's been saying it since at least last year; maybe even 2010.

He's been wearing it out lately, though.

Boondock Saint
07-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Hawk gets hipper by the day. It's only a matter of time until he opens the broadcast with "What it do, fam?"

I voted churros.

thomas35forever
07-25-2012, 04:26 PM
He's been saying it since at least last year; maybe even 2010.
Why am I just noticing it now then?

WhiteSox5187
07-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Why am I just noticing it now then?

It seems like he has been saying it more of late, he was saying it last year and had a tendency to say it just before something bad would happen.

slavko
07-25-2012, 04:39 PM
An old mainstay of Dan Jiggets. I hope Hawk has permission. Oh well, if DJ can use Lou Boudreau's "kiss it goodbye," all is well. Or should I say "it's all good?'

jdm2662
07-25-2012, 04:43 PM
I missed the entire rally last night. After the botched trap call, I couldn't take Hawk. I changed the channel and watched Baby First TV. While I agree over turning the call was bad, he thought the ball was caught in real time. Until he got to see super slow motion in HD, he realized it wasn't caught. Retire old man already.

sullythered
07-25-2012, 04:49 PM
It's just like all of Hawk's zillion catchphrases. He says it once in a while for a couple years, then BAM, he starts saying it every five seconds.

BringBackBlkJack
07-25-2012, 04:55 PM
I voted to keep it, with the added stipulation that he never use "A-Bomb" again. For some reason, that one really gets on my nerves.

Crooked Number
07-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Retire old man already.

Yer what hurts??!

SI1020
07-25-2012, 05:07 PM
An old mainstay of Dan Jiggets. I hope Hawk has permission. Oh well, if DJ can use Lou Boudreau's "kiss it goodbye," all is well. Or should I say "it's all good?' Bob Prince, long time radio and TV announcer for the Pittsburgh Pirates was the first one to use the phrase attributed to Boudreau. His exact words were "you can kiss it goodbye". "Can of corn" is his also.

PatK
07-25-2012, 05:16 PM
Next thing you know, Hawks gonna start wearing skinny jeans and grow an ironic beard

voodoochile
07-25-2012, 05:19 PM
:hawk
"Sol Goode? That man could sit on a curveball better than any player in history. I tell you what. He just crushed it. I remember one time when we were playing the Yankees and I was in a horrible slump. Bases were loaded and nobody out and I simply crushed this pitch, but Clete Boyer flat robbed me. I'm walking back to the dugout head down, mumbling to myself and Sol is heading to bat and he pats me on the shoulder and says, "I got it Hawk." First pitch was a hanging curve and Sol hit one I swear hasn't landed yet. The Mick had nothing on Sol. He's the reason I use that expression to this day. In fact I invented the expression "It's All Good," by accident that very day and the rest is history."

Irishsox1
07-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Hawk said on the air he's totally stoked to see Tame Impala at Lollapalooza on August 3rd.

soxinem1
07-25-2012, 05:23 PM

Very true on this one. This and 'We've got a man there' can go.

FreeBuck12
07-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Hawk gets hipper by the day. It's only a matter of time until he opens the broadcast with "What it do, fam?"

I voted churros.

:hawk
"Sol Goode? That man could sit on a curveball better than any player in history. I tell you what. He just crushed it. I remember one time when we were playing the Yankees and I was in a horrible slump. Bases were loaded and nobody out and I simply crushed this pitch, but Clete Boyer flat robbed me. I'm walking back to the dugout head down, mumbling to myself and Sol is heading to bat and he pats me on the shoulder and says, "I got it Hawk." First pitch was a hanging curve and Sol hit one I swear hasn't landed yet. The Mick had nothing on Sol. He's the reason I use that expression to this day. In fact I invented the expression "It's All Good," by accident that very day and the rest is history."

Oh my Gosh... I am cryin laughing over here. Well played guys.

Also I dunno if anyone saw this via twitter but i officially outlawed "its all good" from the hawkisms dictionary last night. And since I believe that whatever I say goes... well... theres your answer ;)

kobo
07-25-2012, 05:39 PM
It's a toss up between It's All Good and Don't Stop Now Boys for phrase I wish Hawk would never say again.

slavko
07-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Bob Prince, long time radio and TV announcer for the Pittsburgh Pirates was the first one to use the phrase attributed to Boudreau. His exact words were "you can kiss it goodbye". "Can of corn" is his also.

I should have figured. I loved the guy, but Lou's broadcast skills were in Pizza Man territory. I could swear Can Of Corn was even more ancient than Prince.

Edit: Can of Corn is 19th century. Look it up.

BigKlu59
07-25-2012, 05:57 PM
:bandance: If he's using it things are on the upside on the southside... I hope he wears it out untill after the trophy ceremony in October...:bandance:

BK59

Crooked Number
07-25-2012, 05:58 PM
It's a toss up between It's All Good and Don't Stop Now Boys for phrase I wish Hawk would never say again.

Dsnb is great. Especially with the inflection he uses, which makes it extra cringeworthy, and I mean that in a good way. Thats what makes a lot of them so enjoyable to me, how some get so upset and irritated with him over some silly sayings.

Cinch hunker bow is what I like to say now when there is an 0-2 count. It's not very popular. Haha

IspepAloc
07-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Don't know why, but I'd rather listen to Hawk and all of his "unique" qualities over the radio boys.

DonnieDarko
07-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Out of all his catchphrases, I think that this one is actually not that bad. At the very least it's not his worst.

tstrike2000
07-25-2012, 06:43 PM

I voted churros.

A hipper that needs to be replaced.

soltrain21
07-25-2012, 06:59 PM
The only thing he is good at nowadays is being a parody of himself.

JB98
07-25-2012, 06:59 PM
I wonder what Yaz thinks of the catchphrase....:scratch:

SephClone89
07-25-2012, 07:02 PM
It's an absolute sham that a Chicago team has one competent commentator across both booths, and even he's lost some off his fastball.

guillensdisciple
07-25-2012, 07:03 PM
I don't have a problem with hawk but this phrase
Makes me cringe every time I hear it.

Just like any other older person trying to be cool with the times, it's okay, no one cares if you stay back with the times.

PalehosePlanet
07-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Hawk said on the air he's totally stoked to see Tame Impala at Lollapalooza on August 3rd.

I love Tame Impala, but this made laugh.

And yes, he's been saying it's all good for a few years now. I think he said it last night because we scored 2 runs even after the botched call.

Bob Roarman
07-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Same as always. Bad.

DumpJerry
07-25-2012, 07:13 PM
It has to go.

I'm also tired of diving under the bar stool or sofa when I hear him yell "watch out!" whenever there is a sharp foul ball.

PalehosePlanet
07-25-2012, 07:15 PM
I don't have a problem with hawk but this phrase
Makes me cringe every time I hear it.

Just like any other older person trying to be cool with the times, it's okay, no one cares if you stay back with the times.

But at the same time everyone bitches and moans about him saying the same things over and over again. The old man can't win.

Personally, I'd like to see him go real old school and say things like Well ain't that about a bitch? and the like.

guillensdisciple
07-25-2012, 07:27 PM
But at the same time everyone bitches and moans about him saying the same things over and over again. The old man can't win.

Personally, I'd like to see him go real old school and say things like Well ain't that about a bitch? and the like.

I agree, but i have no problem with the old stuff I really don't. I actually have always liked his old stuff.

The new stuff is not him. The nicknames are still good- I like tank. But these sayings are getting stale.

SephClone89
07-25-2012, 07:31 PM
The new stuff is not him. The nicknames are still good- I like tank. But these sayings are getting stale.

"Tank" isn't Hawk.

Tragg
07-25-2012, 07:41 PM
It's better than "don't stop now, boys".
That's about the best I can say.

thomas35forever
07-25-2012, 07:49 PM
It's an absolute sham that a Chicago team has one competent commentator across both booths, and even he's lost some off his fastball.
My buddy from college hates that the Sox don't have one pure broadcaster in the booth. He doesn't like the arrangement of all former players. Considering we haven't had one since Rooney left, I can't blame him.

As for this catchphrase, definitely better than "Don't stop now, boys."

all*star quentin
07-25-2012, 07:52 PM
At least, he stopped saying "Tanks" :redface:

spawn
07-25-2012, 08:11 PM
http://ontheoutsidecorner.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/carl-yastrzemski.jpg

It's all good!

PaleHoser
07-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Don't know why, but I'd rather listen to Hawk and all of his "unique" qualities over the radio boys.

+1

I just leased a new Buick and got XM radio for free for two years, which has been a godsend. I listen to the other team's radio broadcast on XM rather than Farmer and Jackson. It's helped me quit shouting at the radio during Sox games. Other drivers feel safe again.

I'd rather listen to nails on a chalkboard than those two (literally - no hyperbole intended).

SI1020
07-25-2012, 08:25 PM
I should have figured. I loved the guy, but Lou's broadcast skills were in Pizza Man territory. I could swear Can Of Corn was even more ancient than Prince.

Edit: Can of Corn is 19th century. Look it up. Yes the can of corn expression apparently does date back to the 19th century. Often times the local grocer would use a long stick to dislodge a can of vegetables stacked way above reach, which may or may not have been a can of corn, catching it with his hands or apron. Hell I'm old enough to remember when big cities like Chicago were dotted with corner stores and seeing the proprietor do that very thing. In any case, I believe Bob Prince was the first announcer to use that phrase describing a catchable lazy fly ball. Fans who complain about Hawk being an insufferable homer should have experienced guys like Bob Prince and Jack Brickhouse. I also liked to listen to Lou Boudreau, along with Vince Lloyd call Cub games on WGN when there was no conflicting Sox game. I didn't think Boudreau was that bad. He did get a lot of mileage out of being a local legend, one of the greatest two sports stars ever to come out of Illinois.

SephClone89
07-25-2012, 08:34 PM
I also liked to listen to Lou Boudreau, along with Vince Lloyd call Cub games on WGN when there was no conflicting Sox game. I didn't think Boudreau was that bad. He did get a lot of mileage out of being a local legend, one of the greatest two sports stars ever to come out of Illinois.

Top two? Bold claim. SI disagreed with you.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/features/si50/states/illinois/greatest/

Connors definitely belongs in that conversation--one of the top ten American males to play his sport.

SI1020
07-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Top two? Bold claim. SI disagreed with you.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/features/si50/states/illinois/greatest/

Connors definitely belongs in that conversation--one of the top ten American males to play his sport. Boudreau starred in basketball at Thornton HS where his team appeared in three straight IHSA championship games, winning the first one. He excelled in basketball and baseball at the University of Illinois. He was a star in both sports, all I meant and thought I was clear on that. If not then hope this works better. By the way, when SI came out with those all time lists by states, I spent a lot of time pouring over them. Now I shall do so again.

JB98
07-25-2012, 09:00 PM
http://ontheoutsidecorner.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/carl-yastrzemski.jpg

It's all good!

:kneeslap:

fisk4ever
07-25-2012, 09:11 PM
It's just like all of Hawk's zillion catchphrases. He says it once in a while for a couple years, then BAM, he starts saying it every five seconds.
Exactly!

chisoxfanatic
07-25-2012, 09:35 PM
I love Hawk, along with all of his catch phrases. I totally dig it!

fisk4ever
07-25-2012, 09:45 PM
Today I couldn't hang wiffem any longer. Muted the last 2 innings. Stone is occasionally explaining an interesting facet of the game, which I would enjoy hearing, but it is not worth listening to Hawk wear out every cliche he has heard in his blah blah years in the game. Seems like he can't even be bothered to describe the action. His homer-ism doesn't bother me, but his style is wrong shape, wrong size.

October26
07-25-2012, 09:49 PM
I love Hawk, along with all of his catch phrases. I totally dig it!

Me too! I will love Hawk forever.

chisoxfanatic
07-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Me too! I will love Hawk forever.
I like the Sox. But, having Hawk makes White Sox baseball even more fun. I don't know about you. But, to me, Hawk IS White Sox baseball!

Here in Chicago, we are so spoiled to have guys like Pat Foley, Jeff Joniak, and Hawk Harrelson.

October26
07-25-2012, 10:00 PM
I like the Sox. But, having Hawk makes White Sox baseball even more fun. I don't know about you. But, to me, Hawk IS White Sox baseball!

Here in Chicago, we are so spoiled to have guys like Pat Foley, Jeff Joniak, and Hawk Harrelson.

Absolutely. I've been watching and listening to White Sox baseball for 40 + years, and in that time, many Sox announcers have come and gone. Hawk has been a constant voice for over 25 years; I appreciate Hawk's love and passion for White Sox baseball.

And you make a great point about the other Chicago announcers. We are very spoiled.

vinny
07-25-2012, 10:05 PM
I haven't even heard it yet and I hate it.

PRH_ibs7o34

Brian26
07-25-2012, 10:13 PM

I've watched almost every game this year. I haven't heard him use it in a long time until last night, and the situation he used it was perfect (Sox comeback after they got ripped off on the Angel Hernandez trap-reverse-call in rightfield). How he used it last night was appropriate. Now, if he starts using it every night, that would be lame.

amsteel
07-25-2012, 10:33 PM
When did he stop calling Konerko "The Professor"? I really liked that one.

ChiSoxGirl
07-25-2012, 11:03 PM

Absolutely!!!! Where else can you go and hear your radio broadcast team talk about tinkle? :rolleyes: Yes, a couple weeks, ago DJ was talking about tinkle.

Forget this catchphrase. What about my personal favorite? "My behind was so tight, you couldn't pull a greased tee outta there with a pair of pliers!" :lol:

thomas35forever
07-25-2012, 11:49 PM
Yes the can of corn expression apparently does date back to the 19th century. Often times the local grocer would use a long stick to dislodge a can of vegetables stacked way above reach, which may or may not have been a can of corn, catching it with his hands or apron.
I used to hear Buck Martinez explain this often when I played Triple Play 2000, so hearing Hawk say it was nothing new to me.

TommyGavinFloyd
07-26-2012, 01:43 AM
Pretty funny seeing people bitch about Hawk's "tired act" in the same thread where people make Yaz "jokes" and the poll has churros as a choice.

Crooked Number
07-26-2012, 01:52 AM
Absolutely. I've been watching and listening to White Sox baseball for 40 + years, and in that time, many Sox announcers have come and gone. Hawk has been a constant voice for over 25 years; I appreciate Hawk's love and passion for White Sox baseball.

And you make a great point about the other Chicago announcers. We are very spoiled.

I am also a huge fan of Harrelson (see: User Name) and I wan't to throw the guy some praise as well. He has an immense number of detractors, especially on this board. Which is fine of course, every one is entitled, but man it puzzles me that his work in the booth actually makes people tune out or mute the game :scratch: Seems a bit extreme to me, as I love the Sox and I want to hear the ambiance and the sound of the bat etc...

Just a few of my favorite Hawk moments:

In regards to talking about George Brett's *ahem* Hemorrhoids issue (It was a game in KC long ago, and I forgot how this even came up)...but DJ was obviously repulsed and cut Hawk off. There was about 10 seconds of dead air, then Hawk says "...Everybody gets Hemorrhoids DJ" with about 15 seconds of dead air. I was dying. Still makes me chuckle when I think about it.

Also, I think it was in 2003 Sox were in LAAAAAA and Figgins was up. He was new to the league and Hawk says "and here is the 2nd baseman Chone Figgins" (Hawk said it phonetically cha-own) and again like 10 seconds of silence) finally Hawk chimes in "My partner DJ informs me that's pronounced Shawn" - Haha i just love that one for many reasons.

And who could forget the absolute instant classic in Seattle earlier this year:

"Sacks packed with Seamen...............Mariners"

There is much more to Hawk than just worn out catch phrases, he is immensely entertaining. Sure he talks about Yaz too much and repeats stories, but you cannot deny the man lives baseball. Did anyone watch the CSN special on Hawk? He actually acted out how he wants to die on the air, mid play while calling a Sox game. Mercy! :gulp:

spawn
07-26-2012, 06:50 AM
I've watched almost every game this year. I haven't heard him use it in a long time until last night, and the situation he used it was perfect (Sox comeback after they got ripped off on the Angel Hernandez trap-reverse-call in rightfield). How he used it last night was appropriate. Now, if he starts using it every night, that would be lame.

Oh, so then you obviously heard it when he said it after both Viciedo and Rios' homers yesterday.

October26
07-26-2012, 07:43 AM
I am also a huge fan of Harrelson (see: User Name) and I wan't to throw the guy some praise as well. He has an immense number of detractors, especially on this board. Which is fine of course, every one is entitled, but man it puzzles me that his work in the booth actually makes people tune out or mute the game :scratch: Seems a bit extreme to me, as I love the Sox and I want to hear the ambiance and the sound of the bat etc...

Just a few of my favorite Hawk moments:

In regards to talking about George Brett's *ahem* Hemorrhoids issue (It was a game in KC long ago, and I forgot how this even came up)...but DJ was obviously repulsed and cut Hawk off. There was about 10 seconds of dead air, then Hawk says "...Everybody gets Hemorrhoids DJ" with about 15 seconds of dead air. I was dying. Still makes me chuckle when I think about it.

Also, I think it was in 2003 Sox were in LAAAAAA and Figgins was up. He was new to the league and Hawk says "and here is the 2nd baseman Chone Figgins" (Hawk said it phonetically cha-own) and again like 10 seconds of silence) finally Hawk chimes in "My partner DJ informs me that's pronounced Shawn" - Haha i just love that one for many reasons.

And who could forget the absolute instant classic in Seattle earlier this year:

"Sacks packed with Seamen...............Mariners"

There is much more to Hawk than just worn out catch phrases, he is immensely entertaining. Sure he talks about Yaz too much and repeats stories, but you cannot deny the man lives baseball. Did anyone watch the CSN special on Hawk? He actually acted out how he wants to die on the air, mid play while calling a Sox game. Mercy! :gulp:

Terrific post. Thanks for sharing all of these great Hawk moments. Reading them this morning on my way into work put me in an even better mood than I was already in. (I'm still smiling after yesterday's Sox sweep of the Twins.)

Yes, I watched the CSN special on Hawk and loved his acting out how he wants to die on the air, mid play while calling a Sox game. :lol: Only Hawk would want to do something like that. Oh and, btw, your user name is one of my favorite Hawkisms ever. :D:

nsolo
07-26-2012, 08:26 AM
Pretty funny seeing people bitch about Hawk's "tired act" in the same thread where people make Yaz "jokes" and the poll has churros as a choice.

What he said.

Chez
07-26-2012, 09:03 AM

Pfft. Hawk would never go to Lollapalooza. He's MC'ing the Hideout Block Party.

Procol Harum
07-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Yeah, tired of it--he's sounding like a wannabe doofus hipster which is as bad as being a doofus hipster, and that's bad.

But, churros? eee-Yeeeessssssss!!

Frontman
07-26-2012, 10:25 AM
It's Hawk. Zero problem with it, as its just Hawk.

I'd rather have a silly catchphrase versus him being silent after the Sox giving up a run.

doublem23
07-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with being a hipster?

SI1020
07-26-2012, 10:36 AM
Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with being a hipster? Perhaps OK if someone is your age, and definitely not if you're as old as Hawk.

voodoochile
07-26-2012, 11:45 AM

Old people aren't allowed to be cool. They should all go lie in a bed and die gracefully and quietly. Young people are the only ones allowed to use newer phrases and enjoy new music. Old folks should only wear basic colors and never laugh or have fun. It gives the young cool kids a sad...

WS in 05
07-26-2012, 11:46 AM

Spoken like a true hipster.

spawn
07-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Old people aren't allowed to be cool. They should all go lie in a bed and die gracefully and quietly. Young people are the only ones allowed to use newer phrases and enjoy new music. Old folks should only wear basic colors and never laugh or have fun. It gives the young cool kids a sad...

Using newer phrases is fine. Abusing them because you're trying to hard to be hip and cool is another thing altogether. My grandfather when he was alive would keep up with the "cooler" phrases, but he never did it to appear "hip", and he never abused them.

CoopaLoop
07-26-2012, 12:34 PM
I laughed at how terrible it was the first time, I cringe every time I hear it now.

Carneyman14
07-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Hate watching Sox games when Hawk isn't the announcer. It's all GOOD! :bandance:

MikeKreevich
07-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Lately Hawk has been mentioning his Ipad so he's got to be a hipster. Hawk gets on some people's nerves because he is so repetitive. Maybe we could help him out by supplying some new catch phrases. I'll start it off with one my dad used to use. When talking about someone's inability to hit, he would say, "He couldn't hit a bull in the ass (hawk would substitute butt) with a bass fiddle". Anyone else got one?

fisk4ever
07-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Lately Hawk has been mentioning his Ipad so he's got to be a hipster. Hawk gets on some people's nerves because he is so repetitive. Maybe we could help him out by supplying some new catch phrases. I'll start it off with one my dad used to use. When talking about someone's inability to hit, he would say, "He couldn't hit a bull in the ass (hawk would substitute butt) with a bass fiddle". Anyone else got one?

Yes, the MLB app on his iPad. It's not any one phrase; it's repeated, repetitive, repetitous repetition and forced use---from the beginning cinch it up and strap it down to the last ovah. Makes me crazy as a soup sandwich.

SephClone89
07-26-2012, 02:41 PM
You could seriously replace him with a soundboard at this point and nobody would notice.

Domeshot17
07-26-2012, 03:02 PM
You could seriously replace him with a soundboard at this point and nobody would notice.

BINGO! That is the biggest problem. He is just a terribly bad announcer now who thinks which phrase to use.

This, like most of what Hawk says, just has me wishing he would step away from the booth and let someone competitent take the job. Hawk is a great guy, but is probably in the top 5 worst announcers in sports currently. It gets embarrassing sometimes.

Crestani
07-26-2012, 04:50 PM
BINGO! That is the biggest problem. He is just a terribly bad announcer now who thinks which phrase to use.

This, like most of what Hawk says, just has me wishing he would step away from the booth and let someone competitent take the job. Hawk is a great guy, but is probably in the top 5 worst announcers in sports currently. It gets embarrassing sometimes.

My bet is, the first season he is gone everyone will start clamoring...Boy I miss Hawk and all of his euphemisms....!!! (Me included):D:

SI1020
07-26-2012, 08:25 PM
So shall the we have Joe Buck, Len Kasper or one of the many blow dried *******s on Fox Sports or ESPN do the PBP?

Bob Roarman
07-26-2012, 08:47 PM
So shall the we have Joe Buck, Len Kasper or one of the many blow dried *******s on Fox Sports or ESPN do the PBP?

Uhh yeah I'll take him and Stone everyday over the Hawk. Or him and Brenly. Not even a question.

SephClone89
07-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Uhh yeah I'll take him and Stone everyday over the Hawk. Or him and Brenly. Not even a question.

Oui.

SI1020
07-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Uhh yeah I'll take him and Stone everyday over the Hawk. Or him and Brenly. Not even a question. Oh well, what can I say. Standards or the lack of them change over time. I would rather be forced to spend a day watching paint dry than listen to Len Kasper call the cows home, let alone a baseball game. Now Pat Hughes OTOH I think is a good professional broadcaster and and I can and will listen to him. I wonder how vintage Mel Allen, Red Barber, Bob Elson, Jack Brickhouse, Bob Prince, Harry Caray (with the Cards and Sox) and others would play with the younger audience of today.

Bob Roarman
07-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Just because you're used to bad doesn't make it good.

SephClone89
07-26-2012, 09:37 PM
Just because you're used to bad doesn't make it good.

Yup. On top of that, the other things that Hawk fans say: "you can't deny he lives for the game!" or "he's just like a fan sitting next to you on your couch!"

Those aren't necessarily desirable things for a professional broadcaster from the perspective of Hawk detractors...

soltrain21
07-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Yup. On top of that, the other things that Hawk fans say: "you can't deny he lives for the game!" or "he's just like a fan sitting next to you on your couch!"

Those aren't necessarily desirable things for a professional broadcaster from the perspective of Hawk detractors...

He is the annoying fan that sits next to you at the bar that eventually causes you to move.

Domeshot17
07-27-2012, 11:31 PM
If you need any more proof this one has to go...relisten to the home run call on Ramirez's homer. Just awkward and out of place!

Brian26
07-28-2012, 12:01 AM
If you need any more proof this one has to go...relisten to the home run call on Ramirez's homer. Just awkward and out of place!

It's so hokey, it's awesome.

I don't think Hawk's trying to be "hip".

EdHerman12
07-28-2012, 12:32 AM
Listen guys...Hawks was probably one of the first baseball players to be hip..I was around at the tailend of his career and I remember him wearing Nehru jackets and love beads and driving a dune buggy. The first guy to wear a batting glove...actually a golf glove...The man lives in the past...it's all good is fine...because that's what it is...all good!

Golden Sox
07-28-2012, 07:37 AM
I was just thinking. When the bad guys on the Northside lose another game their announcer can say "It's All Bad".:mad:

Milw
07-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Broadcasters I honestly, genuinely enjoy listening to:
Hawk
Stone
Kasper
Brenley
Hughes
Scully

You'll note that those guys ran the gamut from homer to "professional," old school to hip. What they have in common: They all understand baseball. At the end of the day, as long as you've got that, I say be yourself. There's room for lots of styles in the broadcast booth.

Bob Roarman
07-28-2012, 11:28 AM
What Hawk has is an "old man's" understanding of baseball. And it has nothing to do with age. People half his age suffer from it as well. And that alone makes him a worse baseball commentator than all of his catch phrases do put together.

spawn
07-28-2012, 11:47 AM
It's pretty sad that now I want to hit the mute button after a White Sox homerun.

SephClone89
07-28-2012, 12:49 PM
I was just thinking. When the bad guys on the Northside lose another game their announcer can say "It's All Bad".:mad:

Brilliant.

SI1020
07-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Brilliant. Well we can't all be you.

MarySwiss
07-28-2012, 01:02 PM

That's right. Instead of playing the banjo and writing songs, I probably should just go sit in my rocker and knit. That's if I had a rocker and knew how to knit. :wink:

Frater Perdurabo
07-28-2012, 01:48 PM
What Hawk has is an "old man's" understanding of baseball. And it has nothing to do with age. People half his age suffer from it as well. And that alone makes him a worse baseball commentator than all of his catch phrases do put together.

Yes, exactly, I want to hear statisticians and computer programmers talk regression analysis because it's "cutting edge." In fact, let's fire the old men and let Siri regurgitate equations for us.

I'd love it if baseball telecasts would give us advanced situational statistics in real time text on the bottom of the screen, but I still want the announcers to tell me about what the numbers cannot show.

SephClone89
07-28-2012, 02:33 PM

You're part right, but I think I can put up with an "old man"'s view of baseball as long as they're actually a competent broadcaster.

Bob Roarman
07-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Yes, exactly, I want to hear statisticians and computer programmers talk regression analysis because it's "cutting edge." In fact, let's fire the old men and let Siri regurgitate equations for us.

*sighs*

As always, because I say that he has an outdated, closed minded view on the game (nothing to do with the fact he's old), it doesn't somehow mean that the extreme opposite end of the spectrum is good, to have no emotion whatsoever and that an ideal PBP guy should do nothing but list data dumps on hitters and pitchers throughout every broadcast. It simply means he adapts to the understandings that we have as time goes on about baseball and incorporates them into his narrative of the game.

But instead we get stories (usually half truth or complete lies) of what he did or saw in a baseball game 30+ years ago, an ongoing soap opera of an umpire who may or may not be having a bad game behind the plate (which happens to teams every single day of the season), worst of all, being flat out wrong in the analysis and evaluation of a lot of different plays/players throughout the course of any given game (like AJ being a "good baserunner"). I could take all the catch phrases in the world if a PBP guy doesn't bombard me with **** like that every game.

SephClone89
07-28-2012, 05:02 PM
*sighs*

As always, because I say that he has an outdated, closed minded view on the game, it doesn't somehow mean that the extreme opposite end of the spectrum is good, to have no emotion whatsoever, that an ideal PBP guy should do nothing but list data dumps on hitters and pitchers throughout every broadcast, it simply means he adapts to the understandings that we have as time goes on about baseball and incorporates them into his narrative of the game.

But instead we get stories (usually half truth or complete lies) of what he did or saw in a baseball game 30 years ago, an ongoing soap opera of an umpire who may or may not be having a bad game behind the plate (which happens to teams every single day of the season), worst of all, being flat out wrong in the analysis and evaluation of a lot of different plays/players throughout the course of any given game (like AJ being a "good baserunner"). I could take all the catch phrases in the world if a PBP guy doesn't bombard me with **** like that every game.

Well said.

Hawk, especially today, is a sub-par announcer no matter which way you slice it. And that's generous.

Brian26
07-28-2012, 05:11 PM
But instead we get stories (usually half truth or complete lies) of what he did or saw in a baseball game 30 years ago, an ongoing soap opera of an umpire who may or may not be having a bad game behind the plate (which happens to teams every single day of the season), worst of all, being flat out wrong in the analysis and evaluation of a lot of different plays/players throughout the course of any given game (like AJ being a "good baserunner"). I could take all the catch phrases in the world if a PBP guy doesn't bombard me with **** like that every game.

Would this qualify as hyperbole? Every single game? Not even close...that's just ridiculously blown out of proportion, and there have been many times this year when Stone and Harrelson have complimented the umps for being consistent.

What other analysis would be flat out wrong? Hawk's been harping on the defense and Sox ability to hit the cut-off man this year. He's been a proponent of Viciedo's arm in left and Youkilis' calming effect & leadership. I'm not listening to the same broadcast as you.

And 30 years ago, for Hawk, would be around the era of the '83 Sox. I could listen to stories all day about Fisk and Luzinski, so keep them coming if that's what he's doing.

Bob Roarman
07-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Would this qualify as hyperbole? Every single game? Not even close...that's just ridiculously blown out of proportion, and there have been many times this year when Stone and Harrelson have complimented the umps for being consistent.

What other analysis would be flat out wrong? Hawk's been harping on the defense and Sox ability to hit the cut-off man this year. He's been a proponent of Viciedo's arm in left and Youkilis' calming effect & leadership. I'm not listening to the same broadcast as you.

And 30 years ago, for Hawk, would be around the era of the '83 Sox. I could listen to stories all day about Fisk and Luzinski, so keep them coming if that's what he's doing.

Noooooo, I didn't say that happened to the White Sox every single game of the season, I said it happens to teams, meaning a single team or multiple different teams around the league, every single day of the season. And I've yet to hear comparable (and consistent) reactions to it like Hawk's anywhere else in baseball.

Look if people like that kind of reaction, because it makes him "more like you", fine. You're good because he'll be in that position until he dies in that position. But for everyone else, for everyone else that likes to hear a ****ing modern take on baseball as it is today, then it really doesn't matter who comes after Hawk, it can't be worse. Sometimes we'll get Stone trying to interject some of that into the broadcast, but it's usually met with silence, an ad read and topic change, or a ****ing irrelevant story from 50 years ago, because the Hawk can't do it. He can't navigate his iPad to sites like Baseball Reference or Fangraphs.

Mingo
07-28-2012, 05:51 PM
This stuff used to bother me about Hawk, but now I like him for it - I think it is Stockholm Syndrome or something.

RadioheadRocks
07-28-2012, 08:24 PM
That phrase is SO 1995.

MarySwiss
07-28-2012, 09:27 PM

Yep. I guess there are folks out there who don't give a crap about Sox--and for that matter--baseball history. IMO, hearing about baseball as it is today is not the be all and end all. I think Hawk mixes the past and the present well, and I'll miss him once he leaves. :D:

Frater Perdurabo
07-28-2012, 09:28 PM
*sighs*

I agree that Hawk's view of baseball is antiquated, and would appreciate it if he were to freshen his material and overall approach. So I mostly agree with you.

But I wanted to work in some shtick, and there's no teal app on Forum Runner. :)

SephClone89
07-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Yep. I guess there are folks out there who don't give a crap about Sox--and for that matter--baseball history. IMO, hearing about baseball as it is today is not the be all and end all. I think Hawk mixes the past and the present well, and I'll miss him once he leaves. :D:

That's right. Since I don't like Hawk's approach to broadcasting Sox games and over reliance on comparisons to obscure players from his playing days, I must not give a crap about baseball history.

PS I have a degree in history, and baseball books (covering everything from the dead ball era, to the so-called "Golden Age," expansion, all the way up till the present) take up more than an entire shelf in my bookcase. Though, I can't speak for Roarman's enthusiasm for baseball history.

Jurr
07-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Back to the original topic......

Hawk has lost his mind. That catchphrase really sucks.
I thought "this ballgame is OVA" was as bad as it would get.

I love the guy and will cry when he's gone, but come on, big guy!!

kba
07-28-2012, 10:40 PM
No matter what you think of Hawk's catch-phrases, I'm starting to think that age is catching up with him. More and more, he seems to be falling behind the action, and it's becoming pretty noticeable that he's having a hard time keeping track of players' names.

Tonight on the play where Escobar was thrown out at third, Hawk's call was, "He's gonna score on the double. Now he's gonna go for three. The throw. He's out, he said." Once the play started moving quickly, Danks, Escobar, and the umpire all just became "He," and Hawk didn't attempt to name any of the Ranger players who handled the relay throw or the tag. Stone had to jump in behind Hawk and fill in the names afterward.

That's getting to the point where the play-by-play isn't adding a whole lot to the video.

Brian26
07-28-2012, 11:18 PM
That's right. Since I don't like Hawk's approach to broadcasting Sox games and over reliance on comparisons to obscure players from his playing days, I must not give a crap about baseball history.

Hawk mentioned Devon White tonight. Totally honest question....What's your perception of that reference?

SephClone89
07-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Hawk mentioned Devon White tonight. Totally honest question....What's your perception of that reference?

I heard that and was actually pleasantly surprised.

Brian26
07-28-2012, 11:23 PM
I heard that and was actually pleasantly surprised.

Ok, that's fair. I don't consider that an obscure reference even though White played 20 years ago. Did you see him play?

SephClone89
07-28-2012, 11:38 PM
Ok, that's fair. I don't consider that an obscure reference even though White played 20 years ago. Did you see him play?

I'm sure I did, though I don't explicitly remember him.

I was surprised because most of his references seem to come from either his times watching as a kid (he compared someone to Ewell Blackwell last year), or guys he played with/against (comparing Aaron Harang to Dick "Turkeyneck" Hall).

It's just that he's more likely to compare a player he sees to, say, Jim Palmer, rather than Mike Mussina.

fram40
07-28-2012, 11:44 PM

didn't Devon White play for the Jays and make a spectacular catch in one of their world series games?

Bob Roarman
07-29-2012, 08:38 AM

Yeah here's an example of him mixing in with more present day baseball:

"Boy I tell you what, Tank....when he hits the ball...it explodes off his bat like it did with..... Carlos Delgado."

Keep up the good work Ken.

TaylorStSox
07-29-2012, 09:32 AM
It's better than, "Don't stop now boys." I wish there was a stat for how many rally's "Don't stop now boys" has killed.

harwar
07-29-2012, 10:14 AM
I love Hawk mostly because i'm an old man like him and us old dude's have to back each other .. However; There is no question, that he isn't the broadcaster that he used to be and i do cringe when he forces those phrases in like he's reading them off a list, but i'm still glad that he's there in the booth next to Stone,calling the game

SI1020
07-29-2012, 10:39 AM
I love Hawk mostly because i'm an old man like him and us old dude's have to back each other .. However; There is no question, that he isn't the broadcaster that he used to be and i do cringe when he forces those phrases in like he's reading them off a list, but i'm still glad that he's there in the booth next to Stone,calling the game That pretty much sums it up for me too. He really is beating us to death with "it's all good". Enough already. I would like to add that in the last few years I've had the chance to sample the Braves, Rays, Marlins, Pirates and Yankees broadcast teams. Out of all those teams the only broadcaster I can say I really like is Dave Wills. Greg Brown in Pittsburgh, Chip Caray and Joe Simpson in Atlanta are OK too. I figure the name Chip Caray might be cringe worthy to some here but I don't care. When the Braves had Skip Caray , Pete Van Wieren, and Ernie Johnson they were a great team IMHO. The Yankees broadcasters are abysmal. The Golden Age of Hawk was when he was teamed with Wimpy. I really enjoyed them. Also Harry and Jimmy, and Rooney and Farmer, who were probably my all time favorite Sox broadcasting team. Baseball broadcasters get more corporate, bland and vanilla with each passing year. Just please let up a little on the cliches Hawk.

tick53
07-29-2012, 11:40 AM
This phrase has been around for a long time but Hawk acts like he invented it. He must think it's his sacred franchise to give people nicknames and use catchphrases. He's trying real hard to give Adam Dunn the nickname, "Biggin", which nobody is calling him or wants to call him. He also uses the suffix, "meister" when his referring to Chuck Garfien and some other guys. Example, he'll say, "Thanks, Chuckmeister!". That phrase went out before Rob Schnieder left Saturday Night Live a long time ago. I'll give him credit for The Big Hurt and "put in on the board" and some others but just try calling the game without always trying to be Mr Cutting Edge. It's getting tiresome.

SephClone89
07-29-2012, 12:07 PM
PS, if the first poll option is supposed to be a Seinfeld reference, I believe the correct phrasing is "hipster doofus."

TheVulture
07-29-2012, 12:26 PM

"A hipster is someone who is smart enough to talk about philosophy, music, politics, art, etc. with you all day long, but not smart enough to see how big of a tool s/he is."

-Extracted from urban dictionary

spawn
07-29-2012, 01:18 PM
PS, if the first poll option is supposed to be a Seinfeld reference, I believe the correct phrasing is "hipster doofus."
It wasn't a Seinfeld reference.

doublem23
07-31-2012, 09:13 AM
"A hipster is someone who is smart enough to talk about philosophy, music, politics, art, etc. with you all day long, but not smart enough to see how big of a tool s/he is."

-Extracted from urban dictionary

Aw, well, everything on urban dictionary must be true.

Anyways, as long as John Sterling still has a job, Hawk's at the very least, the 2nd worst announcer in baseball...

http://deadspin.com/5930363/ichiro-hit-his-first-home-run-as-a-yankee-and-john-sterlings-call-embarrassed-everyone?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

SOXSINCE'70
07-31-2012, 05:44 PM
It's better than, "Don't stop now boys." I wish there was a stat for how many rally's "Don't stop now boys" has killed.

I literally scream "Shut the **** up,PLEASE!!!" every time I hear him say it.
"Don't stop now, boys" guarantees 1 of three things to me:

1.The next batter will ground into an inning ending double play.

2. With runners at the corners and no outs (or 1 out),they can't score the runner from third to save their lives.

3.With no outs, three Sox hitters will hit 2 infield pop ups and Adam Dunn will strike out (AGAIN). :(:

Please,Hawk,for the love of God,no more "don't stop now,boys"!! You're making my ulcer grow.:(:

Nellie_Fox
07-31-2012, 06:26 PM
I literally scream "Shut the **** up,PLEASE!!!" every time I hear him say it.
"Don't stop now, boys" guarantees 1 of three things to me:

1.The next batter will ground into an inning ending double play.

2. With runners at the corners and no outs (or 1 out),they can't score the runner from third to save their lives.

3.With no outs, three Sox hitters will hit 2 infield pop ups and Adam Dunn will strike out (AGAIN). :(:

Please,Hawk,for the love of God,no more "don't stop now,boys"!! You're making my ulcer grow.:(:Yeah, what Hawk says directly causes poor performance by the players (who can't hear him.):rolleyes:

Gammons Peter
07-31-2012, 10:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-HDNthMRww

Hawkaroo is a Dylan fan!

OldRomanPizza
07-31-2012, 10:46 PM
What throws me off when Hawks says, "It's all good!" is that he says is after something good has happened. Usually, the phrase is said when someone wants to dismiss something negative.

fisk4ever
08-01-2012, 12:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-HDNthMRww

Hawkaroo is a Dylan fan!

Thanks for that. Now I'm afraid Hawk will pick up "if they could, they would".

EdHerman12
08-03-2012, 02:27 PM
I'm waiting for the day he slips, and his patented DADGUMMIT! is replaced by what he really means to say....

GO WHITE SOX!

dickallen15
08-03-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm waiting for the day he slips, and his patented DADGUMMIT! is replaced by what he really means to say....

GO WHITE SOX!

I wish I could cuss.

Foulke You
08-03-2012, 03:20 PM

GO WHITE SOX!
I wonder if he possibly has screwed up and they catch it in time with the dump button. :cool:

bunkaroo
08-03-2012, 03:49 PM
I swear I heard him actually say "goddammit" once as he was getting away from the mic. Maybe in the '08 or '09 season.

kevingrt
08-03-2012, 11:48 PM
After tonight's walkoff I am all for the new catchphrase!

WisSoxFan
08-03-2012, 11:51 PM
Appropriate usage after the walk off!

Frontman
08-04-2012, 08:19 AM
After tonight's walkoff I am all for the new catchphrase!

Yep. It fit perfectly for the moment. Rios didn't miss a stitch on that ball.

thehawkeroo
08-04-2012, 09:29 AM
It is nowhere near as bad as DJs "We got some work to doooooooooo"

EdHerman12
08-04-2012, 09:35 AM
I'll tell you what...Hawk's call on the Rios HR was a heck of a lot more exciting that Farmer's monotone drawl of it...he sounded like he was doing radio for the Angels....

GO WHITE SOX!

Hitmen77
08-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Has Hawk stopped using his new catch phrase? :dunno:

I didn't hear it for any of the homers yesterday and today.

Hartman
08-05-2012, 06:51 PM
He must have been shaken by the poll results.

fisk4ever
08-05-2012, 06:59 PM
You guys are getting my hopes up.