PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 7-23 Long Ball, GIDPs Bail Out Gavin; SOX 7 MIN 4 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
07-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Nice to get a win.

Lip Man 1
07-23-2012, 10:04 PM
See I told ya! 8th time was a charm!! :tongue:

Nice to score some runs for a change...nice to get a win...nice to pick up a half game.

Good night's work.

Now keep it going.

Lip

OmahaSoxFan
07-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Certainly not Gavin's best outing (outside of inducing 5 GIDP's from the Twinks), but at least the big bats stepped up and delivered some homers to give the Sox enough cushion to get the W. Nice to see the losing streak ended, and also the Sox gained back a 1/2 game on Detroit... so all in all a good night. :wink:

WhiteSoxOnly
07-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Nice to get a win.

Amen brother and we don't really care that it was against the Twins.
Ok, that's a lie.

MISoxfan
07-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Maybe its too soon to say its over, but Konerko is 11 for 24 with 4 walks going back to Tuesday.

LoveYourSuit
07-23-2012, 10:11 PM
Time to stack up wins again and put this bad streak behind us.

I hope Gavin had a case of rust and not the injury.

Saracen
07-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Nice to see Paulie coming back to life. :bandance:

JB98
07-23-2012, 10:16 PM
The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers.

SoxSpeed22
07-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Gavin wasn't good, but at least he found a way. Farmer said the team looked exhausted when they were in Detroit, and he was probably right, it looks like the crowd rejuvenated them and of course, Liriano gave them plenty of good pitches to hit. Let's get these next two.

Foulke You
07-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Sox desperately needed this one and they got it even though the pitching matchup favored Minnesota. Nice to see the Sox play in front of our own fans for a change too. You know it is a long road trip when it is jarring to hear cheers when our team does something good.:D: Need to keep it going tomorrow.

slavko
07-23-2012, 10:41 PM
We got some breaks, Twins helped us out with Pitcher's Best Friend when we needed it. Reed got hit pretty good in the 9th, couple atom balls, did K the last guy. I hope it built the team's confidence, mine's still shaky.

ChiSoxGal85
07-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Konerko looks like he's starting to come around at the plate lately. That is good news. An uncharacteristic 3 errors for the Sox today, but they pulled it off anyway. Thornton still makes me nervous.

One win at a time.

LoveYourSuit
07-23-2012, 10:45 PM
We got some breaks, Twins helped us out with Pitcher's Best Friend when we needed it. Reed got hit pretty good in the 9th, couple atom balls, did K the last guy. I hope it built the team's confidence, mine's still shaky.

I've lost all confidence in Thornton.

Reed, it's a flip of the coin right now.

I hope Crain and Myers can help take some of the load from those guys.

DSpivack
07-23-2012, 10:48 PM
The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers.

:bandance:

TDog
07-23-2012, 11:18 PM
When the Twins scored in the first without hitting the ball out oc the infield, I was relieved that it wasn't worse, but concerned that Liriano might be tough against a team that hasn't been hitting well.

When I saw on MLB that Dunn was robbed of a hit trying to hit to left (the exaggrated shift wasn't there with runners on first and second) and Konerko followed with a home run, I was confidet that the Sox would win tonight, not that Floyd was going to come back and hold the Twins scoreless, but it appeared the Sox weren't through. As it turned out they would need the two two-run homers in the third before Liriano's early exit.

Defense didn't have a great night, although the double plays were big, but if you're going to give up an unearned run, tonight was a night when you could get away with it. Then there was the run on the wild pitch. But once Floyd got the lead, he didn't give it up.

Oddly enough, during the five-game losing streak, the White Sox took the lead in every game, being the first to score. Actually, this is the first game since the All-Star break that the White Sox didn't score first.

After a very tough road trip, this felt like a big win.

beasly213
07-23-2012, 11:23 PM
The Twins blow. Sox should sweep. I hope..

Marqhead
07-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Last time I watch Liriano pitch in person he threw a terrible no-no. I liked the result much better this time. It was really hot out at the park, but worth it to see those bombs.

White Palace Grill after the game didn't hurt either. :D:

thomas35forever
07-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Just got back from the game. Gavin didn't look his sharpest, but he got the support Quintana can only dream of. The big hitters teed off on Liriano like they should have and I was very fond of it (Rios, wow!). Let's hope we'll see more of Myers like he demonstrated tonight.

On another note, I hated being in the section that started a successful wave and the people cheered themselves for it during the sixth inning. With runners on compliments of two Youkilis errors and a base hit, not exactly the right time to get rowdy. I know more people were present because of the lowered prices tonight, but God, it sounded like the Wrigley bleacher atmosphere I try to get away from on the South Side. I hated it. And of course they were gone by the eighth inning. True baseball fans for ya.

Sorry, but I just had to rant on here.

SephClone89
07-23-2012, 11:56 PM
On another note, I hated being in the section that started a successful wave and the people cheered themselves for it during the sixth inning. With runners on compliments of two Youkilis errors and a base hit, not exactly the right time to get rowdy. I know more people were present because of the lowered prices tonight, but God, it sounded like the Wrigley bleacher atmosphere I try to get away from on the South Side. I hated it. And of course they were gone by the eighth inning. True baseball fans for ya.

Sorry, but I just had to rant on here.

I was going to complain about the wave too.

FielderJones
07-23-2012, 11:57 PM

On half-price night you're going to have that casual fan element. Maybe Kenny can do something with their money.

MeteorsSox4367
07-24-2012, 12:16 AM

Yep. I was there and my friend mentioned to me that he wished people would watch the game for the game's sake and not need the damn wave to entertain themselves.

Oh, well. A hot, moist, uncomfortable night at the park, but the Sox won. That makes up for everything.

CoopaLoop
07-24-2012, 12:24 AM
A lot of scouts in attendance for this one :rolling:

October26
07-24-2012, 06:30 AM
Konerko looks like he's starting to come around at the plate lately. That is good news. An uncharacteristic 3 errors for the Sox today, but they pulled it off anyway. Thornton still makes me nervous.

One win at a time.

My thoughts exactly. Sox got the win despite sloppy play. There were three impressive homers from Dunn, Konerko, and Rios last night. And I saw that Robin used Thornton in the 7th inning which was good. No more Thornton as closer, please. A win is a win; I'll take it! :bandance:

doublem23
07-24-2012, 07:15 AM
On half-price night you're going to have that casual fan element. Maybe Kenny can do something with their money.

Bingo

Bucky F. Dent
07-24-2012, 07:54 AM
We need to sweep these bums and get ourselves back on a positive roll!

siugrad25
07-24-2012, 09:01 AM
The Sox were bound to have a clunker of a series and it finally happened in Detroit. Unfortunately, it knocked them out of first but it could recharge them moving forward. This is a series where the Sox should get back some of their lost mojo. Hope the Tribe have some life left in them this week.

amsteel
07-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Not exactly a clean victory, Minnesota had 18 baserunners last night. Tough to tell if the Sox played better or just happened to play a terrible team.

Luckily, all wins end up in the same column.

doublem23
07-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Not exactly a clean victory, Minnesota had 18 baserunners last night. Tough to tell if the Sox played better or just happened to play a terrible team.

Luckily, all wins end up in the same column.

Little bit of column A, little bit of Column B

WLL1855
07-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Very hot and sticky at the park tonight but if the Sox end up winners I'll gladly tolerate it.

I have to give Gardenhire credit. Most of his offense can't hit the ball out of the infield but they do know how to lay down a bunt. Way to make lemonade out of those lemons.

SOXSINCE'70
07-24-2012, 09:47 AM

You're not alone. "The Wave" makes me sick to my ****ing stomach.You paid all this good money to get these seats ata baseball game, PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT'S HAPPENING ON THE FIELD!!:angry:

Quentin08
07-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Crowds at almost every sporting event these days do the wave. I was at a Carolina Panthers game last year, and they did the wave. At Fenway, they did the wave. Basically everywhere you go where there's a packed stadium, you'll see the wave. For a lot of people, it's the best part of the game. If it keeps em coming to the ballpark, I'm all for the wave every time.

chisoxfanatic
07-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Crowds at almost every sporting event these days do the wave. I was at a Carolina Panthers game last year, and they did the wave. At Fenway, they did the wave. Basically everywhere you go where there's a packed stadium, you'll see the wave. For a lot of people, it's the best part of the game. If it keeps em coming to the ballpark, I'm all for the wave every time.
I've been to a couple hundred Blackhawks games and have only seen the wave done once. I also don't really see it at other hockey games. In this country, baseball games are where the most waves happen. I think it has something to do with the amount of "down" time at baseball games. I'm not condoning the wave...I think it's stupid. But, I'm just thinking of a possible reason for why it's so present at baseball games.

doublem23
07-24-2012, 10:18 AM
I've been to a couple hundred Blackhawks games and have only seen the wave done once. I also don't really see it at other hockey games. In this country, baseball games are where the most waves happen. I think it has something to do with the amount of "down" time at baseball games. I'm not condoning the wave...I think it's stupid. But, I'm just thinking of a possible reason for why it's so present at baseball games.

I really don't think I've ever seen the wave at a basketball game, either. Maybe it's not an indoor thing?

SOXSINCE'70
07-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Thornton still makes me nervous.

Ever since he gave up a 3 run double to Brian McCann at the ASG in 2010, Thornton makes me nervous.Ohhhhhhh,for a 1-2-3 inning.:praying::praying:

Tragg
07-24-2012, 12:06 PM
It was a good night to have the Twins as the opponent. 3 Errors, tons of Walks, and we still win easily.

JB98
07-24-2012, 12:34 PM
I really don't think I've ever seen the wave at a basketball game, either. Maybe it's not an indoor thing?

Now that you mention it, I don't believe I've ever seen the wave at a basketball game or a hockey game -- and I've been to dozens and dozens of both. Baseball and football, I see it all too frequently. I also believe it is dumb, but as somebody else noted, lots of casual fans at the ballpark on half-price Monday.

The good news is the casual fans' money counts just as much as any of ours. I'll put up with the wave if KW uses that dough to improve this team.

doublem23
07-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Now that you mention it, I don't believe I've ever seen the wave at a basketball game or a hockey game -- and I've been to dozens and dozens of both. Baseball and football, I see it all too frequently. I also believe it is dumb, but as somebody else noted, lots of casual fans at the ballpark on half-price Monday.

Probably too loud indoors to get enough people's attention to ever start it. I've been to Hawks and Bulls games at the UC with a packed house, even with no canned music or guy yelling on the PA, the noise level of just 20,000 people in one building is pretty loud.

JB98
07-24-2012, 12:43 PM
Probably too loud indoors to get enough people's attention to ever start it. I've been to Hawks and Bulls games at the UC with a packed house, even with no canned music or guy yelling on the PA, the noise level of just 20,000 people in one building is pretty loud.

The action is more continuous with hoops and hockey also. With baseball, you've got down time in between pitches. With football, you've got down time with huddles in between plays. With the indoor sports, you're more likely to miss something if you're screwing around trying to start the wave.

Lip Man 1
07-24-2012, 01:09 PM
They've done the wave at Idaho State basketball games during media time outs.

Lip

thomas35forever
07-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Crowds at almost every sporting event these days do the wave.
It seems like every Sox game I attend, someone in the upper deck tries to start it during the later innings. I suppose by then, they're bored enough to realize they have to do something. "We like baseball, but we like to have fun all the time! The pace is too damn slow for us to be fixated on the field 100 percent of the time! The wave rules, bro!"

And with it being half-price night, most didn't exactly pay "good money" to sit in the seats.

Harry Potter
07-24-2012, 02:02 PM
It seems like every Sox game I attend, someone in the upper deck tries to start it during the later innings. I suppose by then, they're bored enough to realize they have to do something.

It must be in protest of not being able to access the 100 Level

FoulTerritory
07-24-2012, 03:35 PM
I used to get bent out of shape about the wave, but there is so much annoying peripheral crap going on at the ballpark these days that the wave seems pretty harmless to the atmosphere and a little old school.

doublem23
07-24-2012, 03:37 PM
I used to get bent out of shape about the wave, but there is so much annoying peripheral crap going on at the ballpark these days that the wave seems pretty harmless to the atmosphere and a little old school.

I don't know what you're talking about, my grandpa Zwybee used to regale all the children with tales of him trying to do The Worm on the Sox dugout to canned, 80s dance songs for a chance to win a free Da Burger.