PDA

View Full Version : Yankees acquire Ichiro

thomas35forever
07-23-2012, 05:13 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/yankees-acquire-ichiro-suzuki.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Think Swisher's days of starting are done or will he DH?

kittle42
07-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Won't they just move Swish to LF with Gardner out?

amsteel
07-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Expect the White Sox to pick him up for a half season in 2019

JB98
07-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Ichiro's .288 OBP helps New York how? :scratch:

RockJock07
07-23-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm not sure how much Ichiro has left but if he does then you have yourself something.

Has Jeter been leading off most of the season when Gardner was out.

PaleHoser
07-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Great deal for the Yankees. Ichiro was the only big league hitter in Seattle's lineup. He'll be rejuvenated in New York.

Read one of the stories on-line that the Yankees also received cash. Hopefully nothing more than Ichiro's per diem while he's still in Seattle for the Yankees three game series there. The fact the Yankees would get cash in any deal is absurd. :angry:

esbrechtel
07-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Sox beat writer Gonzalez just tweeted the sox were led to believe that ichiro was not available.

RKMeibalane
07-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Not a bad move by the Yankees. After everything Ichiro has done in baseball, it would be nice to see him have a chance to win a World Series. His most successful season- from a team standpoint- was his rookie season, when the Mariners won 116 games.

Lip Man 1
07-23-2012, 05:55 PM
Surprised he would agree to leave Seattle but he's got a chance to win something so why not?

Lip

RKMeibalane
07-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Surprised he would agree to leave Seattle but he's got a chance to win something so why not?

Lip

I wonder if Jeremy Reed will finally get his chance now that Ichiro is gone. :cool:

Marqhead
07-23-2012, 06:25 PM

Lip

In Ichiro's speech on MLBN he said he had requested the trade from the Ms. I thought he'd be a Mariner for life.

TDog
07-23-2012, 06:28 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/yankees-acquire-ichiro-suzuki.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Think Swisher's days of starting are done or will he DH?

I am going to guess it's Dewayne Wise who will be seeing appreciably less playing time.

Zakath
07-23-2012, 06:57 PM
In Ichiro's speech on MLBN he said he had requested the trade from the Ms. I thought he'd be a Mariner for life.

When he got there in 2001, they were a team winning divisions and contending for the AL pennant. Since 2003, they've only been over .500 twice, and haven't been to the playoffs since that 2001 season.

I'd want out of Seattle too. There's no commitment to building a winner there.

DirtySox
07-23-2012, 07:01 PM
I'd want out of Seattle too. There's no commitment to building a winner there.

Which seems a perfect fit for Ichiro considering his decline.

Frater Perdurabo
07-23-2012, 07:44 PM
I am going to guess it's Dewayne Wise who will be seeing appreciably less playing time.

Trib story reports Wise was designated for assignment to make roster space for Ichiro.

So, does anyone want to see KW take a flyer on Wise? :)

SoxSpeed22
07-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Ichiro deserves to play in the World Series at some point. That's if the Yankees can get there because the Angels look like the team to beat.

samurai_sox
07-23-2012, 08:31 PM

Losing can take it's toll on anyone.

WhiteSox5187
07-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Losing can take it's toll on anyone.

I think he knows the end is near and he wants to get to the World Series before he retires. It is too bad he is declining so rapidly, I loved the way he played the game.

RKMeibalane
07-23-2012, 08:52 PM
I think he knows the end is near and he wants to get to the World Series before he retires. It is too bad he is declining so rapidly, I loved the way he played the game.

Is he? Remember, Ichiro was twenty eight years old when he made his Mariners debut in 2001. He's in his late thirties, so it's not surprising that he's declined, though I agree that it's somewhat puzzling to see a singles hitter see such a sharp drop in his batting average. Tony Gwynn maintained a high batting average throughout his career.

Madvora
07-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Ichiro Suzuki is my favorite non-Sox player of all time, but there's only one team I care about winning a World Series. The same goes for Jim Thome. Nobody "deserves" anything. The Sox win or I don't give a ****.

WhiteSox5187
07-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Is he? Remember, Ichiro was twenty eight years old when he made his Mariners debut in 2001. He's in his late thirties, so it's not surprising that he's declined, though I agree that it's somewhat puzzling to see a singles hitter see such a sharp drop in his batting average. Tony Gwynn maintained a high batting average throughout his career.

That he is declining is not so surprising, I suppose the drop off is rather quick. But since Ichiro never walked much his batting average declining to a rather respectable .272 makes his OBP much more noticeable since it was so linked to his average.

central44
07-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Trib story reports Wise was designated for assignment to make roster space for Ichiro.

So, does anyone want to see KW take a flyer on Wise? :)

Who wants to bet he finds himself in Miami?

palehozenychicty
07-23-2012, 10:23 PM
That he is declining is not so surprising, I suppose the drop off is rather quick. But since Ichiro never walked much his batting average declining to a rather respectable .272 makes his OBP much more noticeable since it was so linked to his average.

Exactly. They held on to him too long. He should have been traded two years ago. I think they should also trade King Felix. They are more than a couple years away.

SephClone89
07-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Ichiro Suzuki is my favorite non-Sox player of all time, but there's only one team I care about winning a World Series. The same goes for Jim Thome. Nobody "deserves" anything. The Sox win or I don't give a ****.

Okay; some people feel differently than you.

kittle42
07-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Okay; some people feel differently than you.

And he seemed fine with that. He was just stating an opinion.

TheOldRoman
07-24-2012, 09:36 AM
It must have been a shock for Mariners fans who hadn't heard the news before showing up to the park. "Now batting for the Yankees, Ichiro." LOLWUT

With Ichiro's horrible contract, the Yankees were pretty much the only team that could afford to take him. He obviously won't be a $17mil/yr player for them, but I do think he will be rejuvenated and play closer to his career averages than he had this year.

doublem23
07-24-2012, 10:06 AM
It must have been a shock for Mariners fans who hadn't heard the news before showing up to the park. "Now batting for the Yankees, Ichiro." LOLWUT

With Ichiro's horrible contract, the Yankees were pretty much the only team that could afford to take him. He obviously won't be a $17mil/yr player for them, but I do think he will be rejuvenated and play closer to his career averages than he had this year.

Just getting out of Safeco and moving to that embarrassing bandbox they play in in the Bronx should help

SOXSINCE'70
07-24-2012, 10:29 AM
The Angels look like the team to beat.

The Rangers will have something to say about that as well.

SOXSINCE'70
07-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Just getting out of Safeco and moving to that embarrassing bandbox they play in in the Bronx should help

His batting average will skyrocket at Yankmee Stadium.

JB98
07-24-2012, 12:25 PM
His batting average will skyrocket at Yankmee Stadium.

Only if his bat speeds up. I suppose it's possible he'll hit more home runs with that short porch, but hitting home runs really isn't his thing.

Ichiro has been a terrific player over the last decade, but I really do think his game is in severe decline.

Johnny Mostil
07-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Only if his bat speeds up. I suppose it's possible he'll hit more home runs with that short porch, but hitting home runs really isn't his thing.

Ichiro has been a terrific player over the last decade, but I really do think his game is in severe decline.

FWIW (and it may not be worth much), as near as I can tell, his batting average since the beginning of 2009, when the new Yankee Stadium opened, has been .303, while it's been .333 (21-for-63) in NY.

But, like I said, it may not be worth much. Not many ABs to judge, obviously, and I may have screwed up my calculations some way.

Madvora
07-24-2012, 01:16 PM
I just looked at his stats. This is his 20th year in professional baseball. Incredible.

IspepAloc
07-24-2012, 02:08 PM
I was surprised by the trade mainly because I didn't expect Ichiro to ever leave Seattle. Seemed like one of the few players in sports that came in with a team and would play his entire career with that team. At least now he is a heck of a lot closer to the playoffs than he was in the past few years with the Mariners. I think a lot of people have written him off and he'll use that as motivation. Look how well that's work for Youk.

PatK
07-24-2012, 03:59 PM

Well his wheels aren't the same as they were when he made his debut.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Gwynn getting nearly as many high chop singles to the left side of the infield.