PDA

View Full Version : Dempster to Braves melodrama thread

doublem23
07-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Well, the whole world thinks Dempster was traded except Dempster. Thanks to Johnny Mostil for bringing this up...

http://tracking.si.com/2012/07/23/ryan-dempster-traded-braves/?xid=si_mlb

The speculation, she continues...

DSpivack
07-23-2012, 03:40 PM
If the player has a no-trade clause, you'd think you would ask them beforehand.

Noneck
07-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Hes not traded till he accepts a trade. I dont know what Epstein is pulling here.

jonred
07-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Welcome to the world of Twitter where a rumor can quickly become "fact" after it's retweeting 500 times. I think this is a case of the news leaking out before either team is prepared to announce it.

If the deal goes through, it's a nice trade for the Cubs and will likely up the ante for other trades this week.

doublem23
07-23-2012, 04:03 PM
If the player has a no-trade clause, you'd think you would ask them beforehand.

I believe he had already stated he'd accept a trade to Atlanta

DSpivack
07-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Welcome to the world of Twitter where a rumor can quickly become "fact" after it's retweeting 500 times. I think this is a case of the news leaking out before either team is prepared to announce it.

If the deal goes through, it's a nice trade for the Cubs and will likely up the ante for other trades this week.

That rumor was reported by 2 Cubs beat reporters.

DSpivack
07-23-2012, 04:05 PM
I believe he had already stated he'd accept a trade to Atlanta

Still has to accept the deal.

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/227499844422471680

kittle42
07-23-2012, 04:05 PM

I was told on these very boards that it was unrealistic to think that a top prospect could be gotten for a 2 1/2 month rental of a pitcher who has been on the DL this season.

Lip Man 1
07-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Dempster might be trying to work out some stuff with the Braves, maybe even sign an extension?

Lip

The Immigrant
07-23-2012, 04:23 PM
I was told on these very boards that it was unrealistic to think that a top prospect could be gotten for a 2 1/2 month rental of a pitcher who has been on the DL this season.

Who's the top prospect?

eriqjaffe
07-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Who's the top prospect?From what I'm hearing, it's Randall Delgado (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/delgara01.shtml).

kittle42
07-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Who's the top prospect?

Delgado. He's behind Teheran in the Braves' pitching prospects, but Teheran was a consensus Top 5 coming into the season.

Lip Man 1
07-23-2012, 05:59 PM
ESPN.com says the deal is now done... still not confirmed by anybody.

They changed the earlier story saying the Braves were "close.." to getting him.

UPDATE: They changed the story again, now saying the deal has been agreed to waiting Dempster's approval. Sounds like Dempster may be wanting some concessions to go since he still hasn't said yes. (Don't know why he wouldn't want to go...)

Lip

GoSox2K3
07-23-2012, 07:17 PM

:KW
Yeah, for some reason, the geniuses on this board think that a team should only expect to get a Zack Stewart-level prospect in exchange for a 2 month rental veteran pitcher. Where do they get their ideas?

.....The Cubs are getting the Braves to eat a ridiculously bad contract to a glorified utility player, right?

kittle42
07-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Yeah, for some reason, the geniuses on this board think that a team should only expect to get a Zack Stewart-level prospect in exchange for a 2 month rental veteran pitcher. Where do they get their ideas?

.....The Cubs are getting the Braves to eat a ridiculously bad contract to a glorified utility player, right?

Seriously, I wonder sometimes if people remember what happened in previous baseball seasons. It's right up there with every single player's free agent contract in the offseason being "too high." That's what happens!!!

doublem23
07-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Still no decision from Demspter, apparently trying to get the Cubs to deal him to LA instead.

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago-cubs/cubs-talk/Dempster-plans-to-make-next-start-hasnt-?blockID=745541&feedID=661&awid=7725392185453560846-915

MarySwiss
07-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Anybody else have a problem with the fact that a Cubs pitcher who has been frequently injured and has never been all that hot anyway is in this much demand? :?:

Kenny, please stay miles away from this.

doublem23
07-24-2012, 04:08 PM
Anybody else have a problem with the fact that a Cubs pitcher who has been frequently injured and has never been all that hot anyway is in this much demand? :?:

Kenny, please stay miles away from this.

I'm not sure what your definition of "all that hot" is, but Dempster leads all of baseball in ERA.

That being said, there's no way the Sox can match Atlanta's offer, so it's a moot point anyway

eriqjaffe
07-24-2012, 04:09 PM

Kenny, please stay miles away from this.He has pitched at least 200 innings for 4 straight years, and has put up better than league-average numbers in all but one of them. I'm not surprised there's interest.

kittle42
07-24-2012, 04:49 PM

No. You're pretty off base on this one.

Noneck
07-24-2012, 11:38 PM
That being said, there's no way the Sox can match Atlanta's offer, so it's a moot point anyway

They dont have to match any offer, all they have to do is put an offer out there and wait it out. If Dempster wants to stay in Chicago, the cubs will have to make the decision to keep him and get nothing or trade him to where he wants to go and get something. I think the Sox still have a shot at getting him.

PatK
07-25-2012, 10:07 AM
It always amazes me when a player refuses a trade to a contender.

Maybe living in Chicago is better than I think, or the Cubs really treat their players well, but this seems to happen to them more than others.

Lip Man 1
07-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Seems Dempster is hearing about his refusal to go to Atlanta from the Cub fan base:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/13977298-419/after-nixing-deal-ryan-dempster-feels-heat-from-fans.html

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
07-25-2012, 01:15 PM
It always amazes me when a player refuses a trade to a contender.

Maybe living in Chicago is better than I think, or the Cubs really treat their players well, but this seems to happen to them more than others.

That's because the Cubs are losers and often find themselves out of contention in July.

Cangelosi CF
07-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Is it true Dempster threw a hissy fit after getting pulled in today's game?

Hitmen77
07-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Is it true Dempster threw a hissy fit after getting pulled in today's game?

:nod:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-0726-cubs-pirates-chicago--20120726,0,7300734.story

Quentin08
07-25-2012, 03:34 PM
I haven't been following this story closely, but I do remember a couple weeks ago he said in an interview that if he gets traded, he'll have to put his big boy pants on and be a man about it. Has anyone seen those said big boy pants?

WhiteSox5187
07-25-2012, 03:37 PM
I haven't been following this story closely, but I do remember a couple weeks ago he said in an interview that if he gets traded, he'll have to put his big boy pants on and be a man about it. Has anyone seen those said big boy pants?

I don't remember him saying anything like that. Everything I have heard him say is that he is going to consider what is best for him and his family.

Rocky Soprano
07-25-2012, 03:38 PM

Maybe what he was referring to Zambrano's pants?
He seems to fitting those quite well.

Hitmen77
07-25-2012, 09:21 PM
The Braves have "moved on" from Dempster:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/25/frank-wren-the-braves-have-moved-on-from-ryan-dempster/related/

Brian26
07-25-2012, 09:23 PM

It's also a moot point because Dempster is a wimp and told Theo that he doesn't want to pitch in the American League.

Hitmen77
07-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Dempster has 10/5 rights. I have no problem with him using it. It's not his responsibility to make sure that other teams hand over future All-Stars to Theo.

....and yes, if this were happening to the Sox, I as a fan would not be happy about Dempster's decision and how it's mucking up my team's plans. :redneck

It's also a moot point because Dempster is a wimp and told Theo that he doesn't want to pitch in the American League.

If true, that might drive down his price since that takes a number of potential suitors out of the running. It sounds like Atlanta is no longer pursuing Dempster either. Hey, whatever forces the Cubs to get as lousy a return as possible is fine by me.

Steelrod
07-26-2012, 09:11 AM
It's everyone's job to get the best possible deal. That includes the player! The perception that the world loves the Cubs and they deserve every break is nonsense.
Also remember that if the Cubs don't satisfy Dempster's needs, they get to pay him 5 million, to finish a losing season. The pressure is on the Cub's, not Dempster.

Harry Chappas
07-26-2012, 09:49 AM

I hadn't heard this.

My son was a classmate of Ryan's son, Brady so I got to know he and his wife reasonably well. He is a hell of a guy so it's surprising that he seems to be burning bridges in Chicago where I assume he'll maintain his primary residence since his daughter gets treatment at Children's Memorial. The Sox would seem like a decent fit in that it would be the least disruptive in terms of his family. If he stands his ground on the Atlanta deal, it wouldn't shock me if the Sox got back in the mix.

soxinem1
07-26-2012, 10:31 AM
I hadn't heard this.

My son was a classmate of Ryan's son, Brady so I got to know he and his wife reasonably well. He is a hell of a guy so it's surprising that he seems to be burning bridges in Chicago where I assume he'll maintain his primary residence since his daughter gets treatment at Children's Memorial. The Sox would seem like a decent fit in that it would be the least disruptive in terms of his family. If he stands his ground on the Atlanta deal, it wouldn't shock me if the Sox got back in the mix.

It seems like the case. He has always been a 'team' guy. Remember, he was signed as a reclamation project and was a closer his first years with CHC.

Saying that, there are a lot of miles on this car's engine and the model is old as well. :cool:

While he may be leading the league in ERA it should not be expected to continue.

Seeing that the cubs have such an urgency to dump him what do they expect to get? :scratch:

Hitmen77
07-26-2012, 11:09 AM
It's everyone's job to get the best possible deal. That includes the player! The perception that the world loves the Cubs and they deserve every break is nonsense.
Also remember that if the Cubs don't satisfy Dempster's needs, they get to pay him 5 million, to finish a losing season. The pressure is on the Cub's, not Dempster.

The pressure is on which Cub? :tongue: :duck:

I agree. The Cubs signed him to this contract knowing full well he was going to be a 10/5 player and could veto any trade. He's giving them his best effort on the field this year to live up to his contract. Theo's re-building plans aren't his problem.

kittle42
07-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Seeing that the cubs have such an urgency to dump him what do they expect to get? :scratch:

Seeing that the Braves were already ready to give up Delgado, they expect to get a decent return. Not a team's top prospect, but a top 3 guy, it appears.

Lip Man 1
07-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Wren the Atlanta G.M. (or assistant G.M.?) told an Atlanta radio station yesterday that the Braves have "moved on" and are looking at other options.

When pressed about why the deal fell apart Wren said he was told by the Cubs that Dempster "wanted to play on the same team as Ted Lilly and for personal reasons."

When asked about how the 'social media' played a part in all this, his answer was interesting and to me seems to point the finger at Dempster himself for leaking it.

Wren said that for "three days the Braves and Cubs kept this deal under wraps" then as soon as the player got involved it "was everywhere on the social media."

Maybe Dempster himself torpedoed it?

Lip

HomeFish
07-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Since the Nationals are my second favorite team, I would like to tip my hat to Ryan Dempster for apparently killing his trade to second place Atlanta.

Remember, the less of their talent they trade at the deadline, the worse of a draft pick Theo will get. This is why I am cheering the Cub's recent hot streak.

Brian26
07-26-2012, 07:22 PM

If true, that might drive down his price since that takes a number of potential suitors out of the running. It sounds like Atlanta is no longer pursuing Dempster either. Hey, whatever forces the Cubs to get as lousy a return as possible is fine by me.

I hadn't heard this.

It was all over MLB Radio yesterday. Memolo and Hollandsworth talked about it in the morning, Casey Stern talked about it in the afternoon. Boston was interested in Dempster also. Dempster made it clear to the Cubs that he wanted to no part of the AL. Dodgers were his "first choice" and the Braves "#2", but when it came down to it, his #2 was really not even somewhere he wanted to go.

kittle42
07-27-2012, 02:16 PM
So now the Dodgers won't even give away their No. 2 pitching prospect.

Oh, you have to love the Cubs. Hamstrung by Derrek Lee a few years ago. Hamstrung by Aramis Ramirez last season. Hamstrung by Ryan Dempster this season.

It's great.

Lip Man 1
07-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Buster Olney just on ESPN radio. Said the Cubs and Dodgers haven't talked in the last few days about Dempster.

Said he spoke with "The Genius" (LOL) and now the Cubs are at least thinking that he isn't going to agree to go any place. Epstein told him if they have to hold on to him they will and just take the draft picks.

Lip

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-28-2012, 03:55 PM
So now the Dodgers won't even give away their No. 2 pitching prospect.

Oh, you have to love the Cubs. Hamstrung by Derrek Lee a few years ago. Hamstrung by Aramis Ramirez last season. Hamstrung by Ryan Dempster this season.

It's great.

It's the Cubbie allure...players love it so much, they refuse to be traded.

Brian26
07-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Buster Olney just on ESPN radio. Said the Cubs and Dodgers haven't talked in the last few days about Dempster.

Said he spoke with "The Genius" (LOL) and now the Cubs are at least thinking that he isn't going to agree to go any place. Epstein told him if they have to hold on to him they will and just take the draft picks.

Lip

I may not understand the new rule completely, but I thought a team can only receive draft pick compensation (under the new CBA) if they offer the free agent a minimum contract (an average of the richest contracts in baseball). If Dempster is so close-minded about leaving Chicago, I can't see how he would turn down a new contract over the winter. In other words, in order to get rid of this guy, Theo may even have to forego the draftpicks and not offer him a contract.

doublem23
07-28-2012, 04:29 PM
I may not understand the new rule completely, but I thought a team can only receive draft pick compensation (under the new CBA) if they offer the free agent a minimum contract (an average of the richest contracts in baseball). If Dempster is so close-minded about leaving Chicago, I can't see how he would turn down a new contract over the winter. In other words, in order to get rid of this guy, Theo may even have to forego the draftpicks and not offer him a contract.

The Cubs would only be required to offer him a 1-year deal, so who knows if Dempster would really forego one last big payday to stay with a team that doesn't really want him any more

WhiteSox5187
07-28-2012, 10:35 PM

The Cubs would only be required to offer him a 1-year deal, so who knows if Dempster would really forego one last big payday to stay with a team that doesn't really want him any more

I read where the Cubs have said that if he would agree to the one year deal they would stick him in the bullpen.