PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 7-22 Murder City Massacre, DET 6 SOX 4 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
07-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Not a good return by Humber.

thomas35forever
07-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Exactly what I feared after getting walked off in Boston. At least there's a lot of baseball left.

aryzner
07-22-2012, 03:09 PM
Glad the Sox came to play this weekend.

What a joke.

sox1970
07-22-2012, 03:10 PM
If they were ever going to have a team meeting...

Frater Perdurabo
07-22-2012, 03:11 PM
DeAza is really struggling. I think his struggles are affecting the entire lineup. When he was setting the table, good things happened. I am not trying to blame him or arguing that he should be benched, but I think it will take him getting out of his rut for the whole offense to do better.

At least the bullpen showed up today.

LITTLE NELL
07-22-2012, 03:13 PM
That last game in Boston really killed this team, we have come back from tough losses all year but that one in Boston really hurt this team and it showed this weekend in Detroit. We need to sweep Minny as we have another 7 game trip coming up. After that the schedule favors us, no time to give up we are only 1.5 back.

PalehosePlanet
07-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Awful road trip at the wrong time. After Thursday night's loss, coupled w/Detroit's comeback win over the Halos, this is exactly what I expected. Was hoping the boys would prove me wrong, but knew in my heart they wouldn't.

WisSoxFan
07-22-2012, 03:15 PM
DeAza is really struggling. I think his struggles are affecting the entire lineup. When he was setting the table, good things happened. I am not trying to blame him or arguing that he should be benched, but I think it will take him getting out of his rut for the whole offense to do better.

I was thinking the same thing.

As you stated the good news is the bullpen did it's job today and the Sox collected 10 hits. All that can be done now is to come home and take it out on the Twins. That's the beauty of baseball, more games coming soon.

PalehosePlanet
07-22-2012, 03:18 PM

De Aza is also annoying the hell out of me with his playing everyone on the warning track defensively. At least seven or eight balls have fallen in front of him the last two weeks that should have been outs. CF's that play too deep are usually guys with no defensive confidence.

When Danks plays I'd rather see him in CF and De Aza in LF.

kittle42
07-22-2012, 03:21 PM
No surprises here.

PalehosePlanet
07-22-2012, 03:21 PM
That last game in Boston really killed this team, we have come back from tough losses all year but that one in Boston really hurt this team and it showed this weekend in Detroit. We need to sweep Minny as we have another 7 game trip coming up. After that the schedule favors us, no time to give up we are only 1.5 back.

When The Sox slump it's rarely for a week; usually two-three. I hope you're right but I'd be shocked if we swept anyone right now.

When you're hot you beat everyone, when cold you lose to everyone, no matter how good or bad the teams are.

thomas35forever
07-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Absolutely. This is when we find out what teams are made of. Right now, the Sox are bending. Not breaking though. And with the addition of Myers, who knows how much of an impact he'll make? It'll be tough to regain control of the division, but I'll be watching. Can't wait to be at the ballpark tomorrow night.

sox1970
07-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Hell of a time to get swept for the first time all season.

Soxman219
07-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Typical White Sox, wonders in the 1st half, only to fall in the 2nd half of the season. Even in the championship year the second half was not great. The Sox never win a big series in the 2nd half. That loss in Boston killed their confidence and put them in this position. What makes me angry is that they had the lead in every game this week yet only won once. Sickening sight.

So what now? Just start winning games. Don't worry about standings or the Wild Card. Just win a game. Then another, then another. The rest will take care of itself.

doublem23
07-22-2012, 03:36 PM
vXuCeZyPfmM

Lip Man 1
07-22-2012, 03:37 PM
At least they scored four runs.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
07-22-2012, 03:40 PM

Lip

10 hits was a good sign also.

DickAllen72
07-22-2012, 03:41 PM

Lip
Against garbage pitching.

sox1970
07-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Typical White Sox, wonders in the 1st half, only to fall in the 2nd half of the season. Even in the championship year the second half was not great. The Sox never win a big series in the 2nd half. That loss in Boston killed their confidence and put them in this position. What makes me angry is that they had the lead in every game this week yet only won once. Sickening sight.

So what now? Just start winning games. Don't worry about standings or the Wild Card. Just win a game. Then another, then another. The rest will take care of itself.

That's how I'm looking at it. They need to get to 89 wins. Maybe that will win the division, maybe that will win the 2nd wildcard---which is usually the average for that spot. If they can't get to 89 wins, they're done.

LITTLE NELL
07-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Against garbage pitching.

Yeah but sometimes garbage pitchers shut us out on 3 hits.

Lip Man 1
07-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Detroit is off tomorrow if the Sox can actually win a game they'll cut it to a game behind.

Detroit then goes to Cleveland...maybe the Indians can cool off that 13-2 spurt...the Sox sure as **** couldn't.

Detroit by the way has won seven of the last nine head to head meetings this year.

Lip

Thome25
07-22-2012, 03:50 PM
let the bridge jumping commence....

Harry Potter
07-22-2012, 03:54 PM
It would be very typical of the White Sox front office to send out playoff ticket invoices this week coming after this miserable road trip.

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Golden Sox
07-22-2012, 03:58 PM
I'm not into jumping off of bridges, there's no future in doing that. The trading deadline is still 9 days away and I would sure like to see a major trade that involved Dunn and Beckham. I would love to see both of these off this team. The sooner the better.

Falstaff
07-22-2012, 04:02 PM

Honestly, after that grueling 14-inning win in KC, plus didnt Sale throw like
120 pitches in KC... well, that was to me a decisive game/series. The White Sox showed up in Beantown exhausted, and have been flailing, trying to catch their breath, let alone a good hop, ever since. But we can take pride in that our team was last in MLB to get swept this year. Says everyone else is mo' beatable.

Now go grind the long haul.

WhiteSox5187
07-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Well that was bad but we have had rough patches like this before and have bounced back. I do think it's time to shuffle the lineup a bit. De Aza could probably use an off day as well as he has been struggling in July.

guillensdisciple
07-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Ya know, it's been this way for a long time.

Something about this team in the second half.

I hope we make the playoffs and do well, but I worry that we taper off after the deadline and the majority or the players that we could have traded for talent will just be free agents and we'll be screwed.

Lip Man 1
07-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Soxman 219 and Guillen talked about the "second half blues" and it's true... over the past eight seasons the best the Sox have done is to break exactly even with their win percentage in the first half. If memory serves that was in 2007 which wasn't saying much.

I can't explain it myself although that may be something for a future column. What is known is that if the Sox had just played respectable in the second half compared to the first half in say 2003, 2006, 2010 they probably make the playoffs. How different would this franchise look if they made the post season six times in the past 12 years?

Here though is a small sample size for discussion. First 10 games after the All Star Break...

2005 6-4 (opened on road)
2006 2-8 (opened on road)
2007 4-6 (opened on road)
2008 5-5 (opened at home)
2009 5-5 (opened at home)
2010 4-6 (opened on road)
2011 6-4 (opened on road)
2012 3-7 (opened on road)

The Sox usually opening on the road with eight to 10 game trips isn't helping matters either.

Lip

Jollyroger2
07-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Honestly, after that grueling 14-inning win in KC, plus didnt Sale throw like
120 pitches in KC... well, that was to me a decisive game/series. The White Sox showed up in Beantown exhausted, and have been flailing, trying to catch their breath, let alone a good hop, ever since. But we can take pride in that our team was last in MLB to get swept this year. Says everyone else is mo' beatable.

Now go grind the long haul.

Please. They aren't running marathons. They aren't playing well, period. They've been lazy and lackadaisacal. They just had a week off so the exhausted thing doesn't work. Given the pitching matchups in KC they should have swept that series. They were lucky to win two and then they drop three of four to a very mediocre Boston team.

You could see this weekend's sweep coming a mile away. Detroit is what, 16-4 or something over their last twenty? That's more than a hot streak, they're finally playing the way they should be. Did the Sox rise to the challenge? Nope, they got swept in very meek fashion. Disgraceful.

Lip Man 1
07-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Jolly:

Detroit has won 13 of the last 15.
They are 14-4 in July.
They have gone 16-5 since June 28th.

Lip

delben91
07-22-2012, 04:41 PM
About what was expected against Boston and Detroit. Maybe they'll step it up against Minnesota...

After all, they broke through the 2 run ceiling today, so thaat's somethimg.

HaroMaster87
07-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Are you guys seriously going after De Aza??? Who in the line up is hitting??

Has Bacon had a hit since he was moved out of the two hole??
Has PK had a hit since the Cubs series??
Dunn is back to last years form...
Where did YOOOUUKKKK go??

Every facet of this team is slumping right now, except for the defense...thats not gonna translate to any kind of wins...

It's still July...lets RELAX

sullythered
07-22-2012, 05:07 PM
You could see this weekend's sweep coming a mile away. Detroit is what, 16-4 or something over their last twenty? That's more than a hot streak
The Sox did exactly the same thing over a stretch from May to June. Was that "more than a hot streak?"

kittle42
07-22-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm not into jumping off of bridges, there's no future in doing that. The trading deadline is still 9 days away and I would sure like to see a major trade that involved Dunn and Beckham. I would love to see both of these off this team. The sooner the better.

You are aware there isn't a team trading away pieces who would want either of them in exchange, right?

JB98
07-22-2012, 05:10 PM
The Sox went 1-6 this week, while Detroit went 6-1. The Sox went from 3 1/2 up to 1 1/2 back.

Usually, you lose a few games in the standings when you have a slump like this, but losing five in a week is an especially heavy price to pay.

Really ugly week.

LITTLE NELL
07-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Are you guys seriously going after De Aza??? Who in the line up is hitting??

Has Bacon had a hit since he was moved out of the two hole??
Has PK had a hit since the Cubs series??
Dunn is back to last years form...
Where did YOOOUUKKKK go??

Every facet of this team is slumping right now, except for the defense...thats not gonna translate to any kind of wins...

It's still July...lets RELAX

When I looked at the schedule at the beginning of July I had them penciled in for 9-8 up to this point and we are 8-9 so like I said before we have to get through this tough July schedule and if we stay close to Detroit the schedule should favor us in August and September.

SoxSpeed22
07-22-2012, 05:27 PM

ChiSoxGal85
07-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Missed this game due to being on the road without wifi. All I have to say is 1) it sucks to face Detroit while they are hot and the Sox are slumping, and 2) when I voted in the other thread that "the Sox will win one game and I hope they prove me wrong," this is NOT what I had in mind.

palehozenychicty
07-22-2012, 05:38 PM
Soxman 219 and Guillen talked about the "second half blues" and it's true... over the past eight seasons the best the Sox have done is to break exactly even with their win percentage in the first half. If memory serves that was in 2007 which wasn't saying much.

I can't explain it myself although that may be something for a future column. What is known is that if the Sox had just played respectable in the second half compared to the first half in say 2003, 2006, 2010 they probably make the playoffs. How different would this franchise look if they made the post season six times in the past 12 years?

Here though is a small sample size for discussion. First 10 games after the All Star Break...

2005 6-4 (opened on road)
2006 2-8 (opened on road)
2007 4-6 (opened on road)
2008 5-5 (opened at home)
2009 5-5 (opened at home)
2010 4-6 (opened on road)
2011 6-4 (opened on road)
2012 3-7 (opened on road)

The Sox usually opening on the road with eight to 10 game trips isn't helping matters either.

Lip

The talent base is too thin throughout the organization. It's been top heavy, and I think that affects the players over a long season.

Some on the board have brought this theory up, and I think it's a factor.

amsteel
07-22-2012, 06:12 PM
No one should be shocked at what's gone down in the last week. Frustrated, of course, but not shocked.

I would have jumped for joy if someone told me on April 7 that the Sox would be 1.5 out on July 22.

Also it would be nice to take a lead, and, ya know, keep it.

Harry Potter
07-22-2012, 06:20 PM
I would have jumped for joy if someone told me on April 7 that the Sox would be 1.5 out on July 22.

Agreed - thanks for putting things in perspective.

Just frustrating because some on this board were already printing playoff tickets over the All-Star break

guillensdisciple
07-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Agreed - thanks for putting things in perspective.

Just frustrating because some on this board were already printing playoff tickets over the All-Star break

We're fans, no one can blame us.

shingo10
07-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Maybe this is the year the Sox clean up on teams like KC and Minnesota and it is enough to push them into the playoffs. We already competed good against Texas and NY. Boston destroyed us, and we've been "okay" against Detroit.

Blowing that 6 run lead against them might turn out to be the worst loss of the year though...hopefully not.

CoopaLoop
07-22-2012, 09:12 PM
The wrong time to be playing bad baseball.

Liriano vs Floyd tomorrow doesn't exactly have me excited about the skid ending.

Quentin08
07-22-2012, 09:37 PM
As bad as our offense has been lately, we had enough to win today. It's just frustrating that Humber had to give up 6 runs in the first 3 innings. We need to get back on track tomorrow. Looking forward to tomorrow night's game!

By the way, the thread title sucks. :rolleyes:

Soxman219
07-22-2012, 11:43 PM
The wrong time to be playing bad baseball.

Liriano vs Floyd tomorrow doesn't exactly have me excited about the skid ending.

Hey, we been slumping lately and Liriano pitches well against us. Maybe a double negative could happen and they put an eight spot on him tomorrow.

SCCWS
07-23-2012, 07:48 AM
Unfortunately they need a reversal before we get into next week. What happens if the Sox are 4-6 games behind Detroit a week from today. Are they still buyers ( big name) at the trade deadline????

pudge
07-23-2012, 05:00 PM
When I looked at the schedule at the beginning of July I had them penciled in for 9-8 up to this point and we are 8-9 so like I said before we have to get through this tough July schedule and if we stay close to Detroit the schedule should favor us in August and September.

Well said, gotta keep this in perspective, we knew this was coming at some point, let's get through it and get ready for the stretch run.

Urban Legend
07-23-2012, 05:10 PM
And now the Tigers get Anibal Sanchea from the Marlina to add to their starting pitchers - and Omar Infante to shore up second base. Infante was an All-Star (I think last season) with the BRaves and came up through the Tigers' organization. Saw him play many times for the Mud Hens when he was a skinny little guy - he looks like Sammy Sosa now. I'm sure it's from lifting weights...

But this will make it even harder for the Sox.

HaroMaster87
07-24-2012, 05:28 AM
Hey, we been slumping lately and Liriano pitches well against us. Maybe a double negative could happen and they put an eight spot on him tomorrow.

hahaha wow, you were close but no cigar...only got 7 off Liriano :D:

CoopaLoop
07-24-2012, 07:00 PM

Not bad.

guillensdisciple
07-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Who the hell is this guy?