PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Quentin in San Diego another 3 years

#1swisher
07-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Jon Heyman

sources: [/URL] Padres & Carlos Quentin closing in on contract extension. will remove him from trade market.

[url]http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/19632032/carlos-quentin-and-padres-closing-in-on-an-extension-will-keep-him-in-sd-3-years (https://twitter.com/#%21/search/%23Padres)

doublem23
07-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Enjoy last place, Carlos!

:crossfingers:

TheOldRoman
07-22-2012, 11:04 AM
What a horrible organization.

balke
07-22-2012, 12:04 PM
There were rumors of TCQ to Detroit. Wouldn't have liked to see fielder/cabrera/martinez/TCQ thats for sure.

getonbckthr
07-22-2012, 01:43 PM
3/30 million. I thought he would have gotten a lot more in free agency.

Tragg
07-22-2012, 02:21 PM
He's a prolific hitter who's not quite 30 years old.

amsteel
07-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Good for you CQ, You'll always have a place in my heart.

Just stay healthy!

DumpJerry
07-22-2012, 04:29 PM
Enjoy last place, Carlos!

:crossfingers:

What a horrible organization.

3/30 million. I thought he would have gotten a lot more in free agency.
This allows him to stay close to where he grew up and make more coin than all of us combined.

thomas35forever
07-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Hope TCQ finds a winning club there soon.

getonbckthr
07-22-2012, 05:03 PM
I hope has at least a partial no trade clause because with his power that is a trade friendly contract.

guillensdisciple
07-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Still one of my favorite players, and I hope he plays like a superstar for them. Always thought and still think he has that kind of potential.

delben91
07-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Good for Carlos. Plus it gives me a reason to spend more time at Petco.

Lip Man 1
07-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Wish him well and with the new O'Malley group coming in soon things might turn around there.

Lip

palehozenychicty
07-22-2012, 11:20 PM
That's a huge victory for the Padres. Q could have easily tested the market and beat that contract. I think he needs an AL team before too long, since he's brittle. If the Padres need to move him, he's a decent contract.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-22-2012, 11:30 PM
This allows him to stay close to where he grew up and make more coin than all of us combined.

This. For some, once you get to the point of generational wealth, the difference between 10m a year and 15m a year is negligible. Sure, he could have had a bigger payday elsewhere, but if he likes the area, who cares?

TheOldRoman
07-23-2012, 01:42 PM
This. For some, once you get to the point of generational wealth, the difference between 10m a year and 15m a year is negligible. Sure, he could have had a bigger payday elsewhere, but if he likes the area, who cares?It's not a bad deal for Carlos. I am surprised he got such a large deal considering his injury problems. It's bad for the Padres because he should have been traded. That team is on pace to lose 95 games this year, and will likely lose 90 games the next two seasons, also. Maybe the new owners (whenever they are officially sold) will spend more money, but right now it's not wise to have that much money invested in Quentin when their payroll is so small. He won't help them win on the field, so he should have been traded for prospects. They probably could have gotten a lot from Detroit.

TDog
07-23-2012, 07:25 PM
It's not a bad deal for Carlos. I am surprised he got such a large deal considering his injury problems. It's bad for the Padres because he should have been traded. That team is on pace to lose 95 games this year, and will likely lose 90 games the next two seasons, also. Maybe the new owners (whenever they are officially sold) will spend more money, but right now it's not wise to have that much money invested in Quentin when their payroll is so small. He won't help them win on the field, so he should have been traded for prospects. They probably could have gotten a lot from Detroit.

I think that idea that a losing team needs to trade its best players for prospects ia a ridiculous notion. The whole trading-for-prospects-at-the-dealdline system does at least as much to perpetuate the gap between the rich and poor teams as does the lack of a salary cap. The trade deadline was instituted in the first place because the rich teams in New York were using poorer teams as farm teams before the New York teams even had minor league development teams.

The non-waiver deadline really should be moved back to June 15, as it was before 1985. I think the White Sox would be a better team if Quentin were DHing, but I'm happy to see him sign a multi-year contract with a team for which he appearently wants to play.