PDA

View Full Version : Sox trade for Brett Myers

Thome25
07-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Per Ken Rosenthal via twitter

chisox12
07-21-2012, 02:10 PM
According to Ken Rosenthal, Sox have acquired Brett Myers.

‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Source: #WhiteSox acquire Brett Myers from #Astros.

SephClone89
07-21-2012, 02:11 PM
***. Hasn't he been closing?

He's also an enormous *******. Goddammit.

Thome25
07-21-2012, 02:12 PM
I got you beat by a couple of minutes in What's the Score?

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=135207

Still unconfirmed.

Edit: Mods please merge.

SephClone89
07-21-2012, 02:14 PM
So they've added a guy who A) is a wifebeater, and B) threatens reporters and uses "retard" against them as a pejorative.

chaotic8512
07-21-2012, 02:17 PM
If we gave up any more than a bag of balls for this creep, I'll be pretty pissed.

Great choice to put in the bullpen... :scratch:

FreeBuck12
07-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Obviously Kenny Williams reads my blog ;)

chisox12
07-21-2012, 02:18 PM
So they've added a guy who A) is a wifebeater, and B) threatens reporters and uses "retard" against them as a pejorative.

Both of those incidents were over 5 years ago. People change. And the White Sox sure could use the pitching help.

CHISOXFAN13
07-21-2012, 02:20 PM

Stop living in the past.

With as many teams still alive, he's one of the top arms available.

Thome25
07-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Obviously Kenny Williams reads my blog ;)

Someone saw him reading it at the airport a few days ago.

UNDER THE RADAR BABY!!

Noneck
07-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Veteran with 19 saves this year on a crappy team.

CHISOXFAN13
07-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Five of the 12 earned runs he allowed were in one game.

He's also 19 for 21 in save opportunities. Whether or not he is the closer, I feel pretty good about adding him to the back end of this pen.

Thome25
07-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Veteran with 19 saves this year on a crappy team.

"Veteran" is the operative word. The 'pen could definitely use some experienced players like Myers.

sox1970
07-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Blair Walters is the minor leaguer going to Houston.

DumpJerry
07-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Blair Walters is the minor leaguer going to Houston.
First ballot material. Oh well.

chisox12
07-21-2012, 02:31 PM
"Veteran" is the operative word. The 'pen could definitely use some experienced players like Myers.

Yep. This is exactly what the bullpen needed.

Noneck
07-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Dont know what the Sox have in mind but he also could be a possibility to go to the rotation, if things fall apart there. If there was no salary pickup by houston I doubt the Sox gave up much. Hes making 11M this year.

sox1970
07-21-2012, 02:34 PM
First ballot material. Oh well.

Walters isn't much of a prospect, which probably means the Sox are taking on his remaining salary.

Thome25
07-21-2012, 02:37 PM
P Matt Heidenreich, P Blair Walters, and a PTBNL for Myers

Sox get cash too.

sox1970
07-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Matt Heidenreich, Walters, and a PTBNL for Myers

Sox get cash too.

Ok, that makes more sense than just Walters.

Over By There
07-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Baseball-wise, I love the move. Hard guy to cheer for, but hey... we've cheered for Albert Belle and Manny Ramirez.

tstrike2000
07-21-2012, 02:40 PM
***. Hasn't he been closing?

He's also an enormous *******. Goddammit.

Yes, he's made some poor decisions and may have some anger management issues, but let's give him the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully, he's learned and a lot of that crap is behind him.

Noneck
07-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Myers has his option for next year guaranteed at 10M based on a certain number of games finished this year.

Foulke You
We asked for veteran bullpen depth. Kenny provides it without giving up much and people still have to complain.

soxnut1018
Good move to shore up a young bullpen.

MrT27
07-21-2012, 02:42 PM
No way he closes, he has a $10mil option vest for next year if he finished 45 games, he's at 29 now. I wonder if the Sox are looking into getting him into the rotation

WhiteSox5187
07-21-2012, 02:42 PM
It certainly seems like a decent trade. I don't know how much (if at all) Myers will help but we get some bullpen help we need and didn't give up much.

DumpJerry
07-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Low cost trade which means the Sox can still trade for a starter, if that is in the plan.

CoopaLoop
07-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Gave up nothing for a righty set up man. Don't really care if he is a dbag, just complete the bridge to the 9th.

kufram
07-21-2012, 02:50 PM
I know nothing about this guy. I'll leave the judgements to others. I will say that everyone makes mistakes... in fact it is when we make mistakes that we can learn.

JB98
07-21-2012, 02:54 PM
I don't care if he's an ass. Just get people out.

GlassSox
07-21-2012, 02:57 PM

:cool:

Thome25
07-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Per Jon Heyman--Sox are only on the hook for 1 million of his salary for the rest of the year and also received cash towards Myers' 3 million buyout for '13.

Frater Perdurabo
07-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Apparently his vesting option for next year can be bought out for $3M.

I don't know much about him, either, but he's been Houston's closer this year. Seems like he could close or be the primary RH setup guy. Reed, Myers, Crain and Thornton are a formidable 7-8-9 inning corps, allowing Jones and two of the other rookies to be used in long relief and/or blowouts.

I've never read anything about the prospects we're sending to Houston, but it looks like KW has acquired on of the best relievers available.

JB98
07-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Apparently his vesting option for next year can be bought out for $3M.

I don't know much about him, either, but he's been Houston's closer this year. Seems like he could close or be the primary RH setup guy. Reed, Myers, Crain and Thornton are a formidable 7-8-9 inning corps, allowing Jones and two of the other rookies to be used in long relief and/or blowouts.

I've never read anything about the prospects we're sending to Houston, but it looks like KW has acquired on of the best relievers available.

I can tell you he gave up the longest HR in USCF history.

LTP on 8/30/04 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200408300.shtml).

BigHurt3515
07-21-2012, 03:04 PM
I don't care what he has done in the past at least if he gets people out and doesn't cause drama in the clubhouse I like it

Brian26
07-21-2012, 03:06 PM

Is he any more of a wife beater that Miguel Cabrera? Or is Cabrera off the hook now? This doesn't even get into the debate on whether Meyers if a wifebeater or his (ex) wife is a nutjob drunk who got the benefit of the doubt when the cops showed up.

It's a good trade, and the Sox are going for it. That's all that matters now.

Brian26
07-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Baseball-wise, I love the move. Hard guy to cheer for, but hey... we've cheered for Albert Belle and Manny Ramirez.

And Carl Everett. And Jenks. And David Wells, Canseco, Robbie Alomar......

07-21-2012, 03:18 PM

Bingo

thomas35forever
07-21-2012, 03:29 PM
This. As long as he's a better option than most, if not every arm in the current 'pen (and staying out of personal trouble would be a bonus), I'll be happy. I just hope he doesn't Javy Vazquez it and suck now that he's on a contender.

harwar
07-21-2012, 03:29 PM

:thumbsup:

thomas35forever
07-21-2012, 03:30 PM
I can tell you he gave up the longest HR in USCF history.

LTP on 8/30/04 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200408300.shtml).
I know that was a makeup game late in the year, but yikes, that attendance is awful.

voodoochile
07-21-2012, 03:36 PM
I hope they put him as the closer. I want a veteran out there when it's a 1-run game. I am sure Reed will be a fine closer, but he's proven to be shaky in really tight games. Let's not stress this kid to the point he becomes mentally unstable. He can helps set up.

VenturaFan23
07-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Solid pickup!

pudge
07-21-2012, 03:56 PM
I hope they put him as the closer. I want a veteran out there when it's a 1-run game. I am sure Reed will be a fine closer, but he's proven to be shaky in really tight games. Let's not stress this kid to the point he becomes mentally unstable. He can helps set up.

Agreed, although it sounds like that $3 million buyout doesn't apply if he reaches that $10 million incentive (closing 45 games), according to MLB.com. This will be interesting.

Brian26
07-21-2012, 04:20 PM
1 Peavy
2 Sale
3 Quintana
4 Floyd
5 Humber

Bullpen

6 Myers
7 Reed
8 Thornton
9 Santiago
10 Jones
11 Axelrod
12 Septimo?

Omogrosso and Veal back to minors?

GoGoCrede
07-21-2012, 04:24 PM
It will be hard for me to root for him, if at all. Yes, I know we've had guys of questionable character on the team; it's a case-by-case thing. Yes, I know what he's done is in the past and maybe he's changed. For his family's sake I hope so. I know other fans will disagree with me. It's my personal choice.

DumpJerry
07-21-2012, 04:28 PM
1 Peavy
2 Sale
3 Quintana
4 Floyd
5 Humber

Bullpen

6 Myers
7 Reed
8 Thornton
9 Santiago
10 Jones
11 Axelrod
12 Septimo?

Omogrosso and Veal back to minors?
Omogrosso was already sent down.

Tragg
07-21-2012, 04:54 PM
Myers is okay - throws a lot of softballs though. Not much stuff. Our starters have been okay this go-round, except for the unnecessary 6th starter we put in there. Need the pen help more.

Decent trade presuming the PTBNL is about what the named player was.

The big need is for a bench bat. There's not a hitter who is close to an average ML hitter on the bench. A AAAA player from AAA could do better than what we have.

Edit: Looks like we gave up 3 pitchers - Walters, Matt Heidenreich and a PTBNL.

RCWHITESOX
07-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Omogrosso was already sent down.

Excellent move to get some veteran experience added to the bullpen. What's there not to like? Get it done Kenny!

FreeBuck12
07-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Talking to Blair on the phone right now- he says the trade is "bittersweet"

DSpivack
07-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Although they come mostly as a starter, Myers' numbers against the AL are pretty awful. A 5.50 ERA, I think.

oldgrouch
07-21-2012, 05:31 PM
It will be hard for me to root for him, if at all. Yes, I know we've had guys of questionable character on the team; it's a case-by-case thing. Yes, I know what he's done is in the past and maybe he's changed. For his family's sake I hope so. I know other fans will disagree with me. It's my personal choice.

If he called a reporter a nasty name, I have no problem with that. Most
of them deserve everything they get.:wink::wink:

DickAllen72
07-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Five of the 12 earned runs he allowed were in one game.

He's also 19 for 21 in save opportunities. Whether or not he is the closer, I feel pretty good about adding him to the back end of this pen.
Good addition to the pen. I hope KW is through pursuing pitching for now and concentrates on adding some bats. A good hitting 2B would be nice, as well as a good hitting OF which would allow Viciedo to split DH duties with Dunn, depending on matchups.

A. Cavatica
07-21-2012, 05:43 PM
I hate that this team's management always has open arms for human trash like Brett Myers.

dickallen15
07-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Is he any more of a wife beater that Miguel Cabrera? Or is Cabrera off the hook now? This doesn't even get into the debate on whether Meyers if a wifebeater or his (ex) wife is a nutjob drunk who got the benefit of the doubt when the cops showed up.

240 pound man gives his wife a swollen cheek and you defend him because the White Sox picked him up. Wow.

SoxSpeed22
07-21-2012, 05:57 PM
As long as this ******* can get people out.

kittle42
07-21-2012, 05:58 PM
240 pound man gives his wife a swollen cheek and you defend him because the White Sox picked him up. Wow.

Agreed. A person doesn't deserve our good will simply because he was traded to our favorite sports team.

Guy's an ass, and I'll cheer for him because I cheer for laundry, as well all do, but he's an ass.

dickallen15
07-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Agreed. A person doesn't deserve our good will simply because he was traded to our favorite sports team.

Guy's an ass, and I'll cheer for him because I cheer for laundry, as well all do, but he's an ass.
I won't cheer for him at all. I realize that probably a good number of the players that have played for the Sox and I have cheered for, have probably been jerks in some way, but there is a line. Hitting women is on the wrong side of that line.

GoGoCrede
07-21-2012, 06:08 PM
I won't cheer for him at all. I realize that probably a good number of the players that have played for the Sox and I have cheered for, have probably been jerks in some way, but there is a line. Hitting women is on the wrong side of that line.

I agree, and you know, for his family's sake I hope he's changed, as I said earlier. But I won't cheer for him. If it came out that one of the players I adore - like Floyd - did what Myers did, I'd have no problem treating him the same way I will Myers. As it stands, I'm saving every penny for school, so I don't know if I'll be going to any more Sox games anyway. I know some fans will think I'm foolish, but I really don't care.

SOXSINCE'70
07-21-2012, 06:20 PM
If he called a reporter a nasty name, I have no problem with that. Most
of them deserve everything they get.:wink::wink:

:moron

"I represent that remark." :angry:

oldgrouch
07-21-2012, 06:32 PM
:moron

"I represent that remark." :angry:

I feel for ya, but most make their living trying to destroy people.:tongue::tongue:

Lip Man 1
07-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Just saw a report where Axelrod was optioned to Charlotte but I don't know if in fact that's happened. If true I don't know what they see in Lepsimo (or whatever the hell his name is) He's not good.

Lip

JB98
07-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Just saw a report where Axelrod was optioned to Charlotte but I don't know if in fact that's happened. If true I don't know what they see in Lepsimo (or whatever the hell his name is) He's not good.

Lip

I think they want to keep Axelrod stretched out for spot starts in the future. With all these guys being ouchie at one point or another during the season, I'm sure his services will be needed again in the rotation.

There's really no point in keeping Axelrod in the majors to pitch in long relief. It looks like they've decided Santiago should pitch in that role.

Tragg
07-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Septimo is a lefty and has a K pitch. I'd keep him around for the pen over Axe.

But who's our 5th starter now?

dickallen15
07-21-2012, 07:13 PM

Lip
Septimo or Veal will go down on Monday when Floyd is activated. I supposed they feel Axelrod was going to go down then anyway but was probably used up today. If Septimo or Veal pitched today and they were also going down and Axelrod did not, they would have probably been the one to be demoted with Axe getting one more day.

dickallen15
07-21-2012, 07:14 PM
Septimo is a lefty and has a K pitch. I'd keep him around for the pen over Axe.

But who's our 5th starter now?

Floyd will be activated Monday.

SI1020
07-21-2012, 07:15 PM
It will be hard for me to root for him, if at all. Yes, I know we've had guys of questionable character on the team; it's a case-by-case thing. Yes, I know what he's done is in the past and maybe he's changed. For his family's sake I hope so. I know other fans will disagree with me. It's my personal choice. I can appreciate that. I hated it when the Sox acquired Albert Belle and again when they got Manny Ramirez, whose time with the club was mercifully short.

Brian26
07-21-2012, 07:57 PM

You know my opinion on it. I'm following the debate on the other site as well where the same arguments are being discussed. Bottom line is the circumstances and evidence are fuzzy. He and the wife were both drunk in public and got into a shouting match in an isolated incident six years ago.

There seems to be quite a bit of drama with the talk of boycotting Sox games.

A. Cavatica
07-21-2012, 08:04 PM
I can appreciate that. I hated it when the Sox acquired Albert Belle and again when they got Manny Ramirez, whose time with the club was mercifully short.

And Wil Cordero. Not to mention the garden variety punks like Ozzie we've been treated to.

ZombieRob
07-21-2012, 08:30 PM
You know my opinion on it. I'm following the debate on the other site as well where the same arguments are being discussed. Bottom line is the circumstances and evidence are fuzzy. He and the wife were both drunk in public and got into a shouting match in an isolated incident six years ago.

I say this. If Bobby Hull can be praised and loved in this city and he was a monster to his wife, anyone deserves a 2nd chance. Hopefully he acknowledged he was wrong, realized he made a mistake and luckily no one was seriously hurt and he learned from it.

DSpivack
07-21-2012, 09:22 PM

Who said anything about boycotting Sox games. :?:

And Wil Cordero. Not to mention the garden variety punks like Ozzie we've been treated to.

Didn't 90s utility guy Tony Phillips have some issues along those lines? Or was his problem just degrees? Maybe I'm confusing him with Cordero as I think they were on the team around the same time.

cards press box
07-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Septimo or Veal will go down on Monday when Floyd is activated.

My guess is that Veal stays and Septimo is sent to Charlotte.

amsteel
07-21-2012, 10:03 PM
A guy that's thrown in September before? I'll take it.

MetroPD
07-21-2012, 11:34 PM
Both of those incidents were over 5 years ago. People change. And the White Sox sure could use the pitching help.
:scratch: is this supposed to be teal?

The standards to which we hold our sportsfigures today is appaling. Anyways, I hope he is on the club for a short time, the shorter the better. We don't need our ballclub associated with guys like this.

dickallen15
07-22-2012, 06:47 AM

It wasn't fuzzy. The police report indicated she said he hit her and her cheek was swollen. The eyewitnesses said he dragged her by her hair and slapped her. The eyewitnesses also had a quote by her indicating it wsan't the first time this had happened. I have a problem with 240 lb men hitting 120 lb women. I don't think there's any excuse for that. Perhaps we were raised differently. If it was the only time he's ever abused her or another woman, its still one time too many. Just because he plays for the White Sox right now is a sickening reason to justify or forget what he's done.

doublem23
07-22-2012, 08:06 AM
:scratch: is this supposed to be teal?

The standards to which we hold our sportsfigures today is appaling. Anyways, I hope he is on the club for a short time, the shorter the better. We don't need our ballclub associated with guys like this.

This is kind of bull****, athletes have been praised and turned into heroes for generations, despite the fact they've generally always been **** bags. Babe Ruth was a ****ty person. So was Mickey Mantle. So was Bobby Hull. So was plenty of them.

As for Myers himself, I don't really know all his backstory since he's been in the NL for his entire career and I only really follow the AL since I like to watch, you know, good baseball, but I don't recall him ever having any other kind of domestic problems in the past or since the incident and, IIRC, his wife ultimately refused to press charges against him. I'm not going to say that makes it OK for what he did, but I also know a lot of guys who make bad choices in some of their darkest hours who are otherwise relatively good people. Bottom line is if the victim is willing to forgive and try to move on, it's pretty hypocritical, IMO, for someone else to think they know any better.

Welcome to the Sox, Brett. Just pitch good.

Frater Perdurabo
07-22-2012, 08:46 AM
One can hate his guts and yet can still want him to do his job - getting hitters out - to help the team.

TheOldRoman
07-22-2012, 09:55 AM
It wasn't fuzzy. The police report indicated she said he hit her and her cheek was swollen. The eyewitnesses said he dragged her by her hair and slapped her. The eyewitnesses also had a quote by her indicating it wsan't the first time this had happened. I have a problem with 240 lb men hitting 120 lb women. I don't think there's any excuse for that. Perhaps we were raised differently. If it was the only time he's ever abused her or another woman, its still one time too many. Just because he plays for the White Sox right now is a sickening reason to justify or forget what he's done.That's 100% pure bull****, Dick. Brian wasn't arguing that it is okay for a guy to hit women and you know it. That's a shameful argumentative tactic.

As for my take, I don't like Myers and never will. There were some incongruities in the case, such as witnesses reporting he punched her several times in the face, yet her face not being all smashed up. That doesn't make that big of a difference, since it is not really much better at all if he just slapped her instead of punching. I also think that there is a very good chance he did/had hit her other times. I understand that often times in cases of domestic violence, the woman will feel responsible for being attacked and not press charges, so it's no ringing endorsement that they are still married and he didn't get charged. However, we really have nothing else to go off of here. There have been no other times since then that we know of where he hit his wife, and since we wasn't charged last time, he didn't really have a debt to repay to society, a la prison. It is never okay for a man to hit a woman under any circumstances, and if it happens again I hope his wife is strong enough to press charges and divorce him. However, until that happens, Myers is free to play. I won't like him as a player or buy a t-shirt of his, but at this point I don't think having him on the team is the worst thing ever.

FreeBuck12
07-22-2012, 10:07 AM
As someone who's worked around major and minor leaguers for 7 out of my 25 years on this earth- let me tell you one really important lesson I've learned: You HAVE to, as a fan, seperate what happens in an athlete's personal lives with what happens on the field. I PROMISE you, that if the majority of you had any idea what goes on in major leaguers personal lives (not all of them, granted) and based your opinions of your fave ballplayers on that, the way some are on Myers, you would hate 90% of the guys in the big leagues.

It sucks Myers hit his wife, but hes not the first and he's not the last. You dont have to like him as a person, but theres no reason you cant like him as a player.

As a woman who's been in abusive relationships im in no way justifying what he did, just trying to point out that its better for your own sanity as a fan, just to separate personal from professional feelings.

GoGoCrede
07-22-2012, 10:17 AM
As someone who's worked around major and minor leaguers for 7 out of my 25 years on this earth- let me tell you one really important lesson I've learned: You HAVE to, as a fan, seperate what happens in an athlete's personal lives with what happens on the field. I PROMISE you, that if the majority of you had any idea what goes on in major leaguers personal lives (not all of them, granted) and based your opinions of your fave ballplayers on that, the way some are on Myers, you would hate 90% of the guys in the big leagues.

It sucks Myers hit his wife, but hes not the first and he's not the last. You dont have to like him as a person, but theres no reason you cant like him as a player.

As a woman who's been in abusive relationships im in no way justifying what he did, just trying to point out that its better for your own sanity as a fan, just to separate personal from professional feelings.

First of all, I'm sorry you went through abusive relationships and hope you're doing well.

I'm sure plenty of athletes aren't as friendly as they appear. I can even buy that some of them have done things as bad as Myers has. The main difference is that we don't know about it. If tomorrow, say, it came out that Konerko was hitting his wife, I'd have no problem turning in my fan card for him. We just don't know about any of it, so there's no reason to dislike them. As for separating a person from who they are on the field. I've never been able to do that. An incident like this colors my opinion of the player and I can't separate it. Again, I know others feel differently and this is just me.

kittle42
07-22-2012, 10:23 AM

The nail has been hit on the head so hard by this post, I cannot pry it out.

If I started learning about the personal lives of athletes on teams I root for, I would stop rooting for anyone.

Brian26
07-22-2012, 10:28 AM
I'm sure plenty of athletes aren't as friendly as they appear. I can even buy that some of them have done things as bad as Myers has. The main difference is that we don't know about it.

Truthfully, we don't even know what really happened between Myers and his wife either.

FreeBuck12
07-22-2012, 10:30 AM
First of all, I'm sorry you went through abusive relationships and hope you're doing well.

I'm sure plenty of athletes aren't as friendly as they appear. I can even buy that some of them have done things as bad as Myers has. The main difference is that we don't know about it. If tomorrow, say, it came out that Konerko was hitting his wife, I'd have no problem turning in my fan card for him. We just don't know about any of it, so there's no reason to dislike them. As for separating a person from who they are on the field. I've never been able to do that. An incident like this colors my opinion of the player and I can't separate it. Again, I know others feel differently and this is just me.

Well we all have our own opinions and I absolutely respect yoursThere's things that happen behind closed doors that the public never finds out about, and being privy to some of that information has made me (or forced me rather for my own sanity) to try my hardest to have an opinion of say, Miggy Cabrera the person vs Cabrera the player.

We all have our demons and we all do dumb things, and theres a ton of players I look at and think "*******" ,.. but I still cheer for them as players and because i want my team to win. Does that mean I think they're very good people? No, but I'd have a hard pressed time finding ANY team anywhere that I could root for if I knew all the awful horribly ****ty things a lot of the guys have done in their past.

I might be slightly more conditioned to trying to separate the two because I've had to do it for so long... I just find it easier to enjoy baseball when I look at it objectively rather than driving myself crazy wondering how I could cheer for a guy who punched his wife in the face 5 years ago. I'm not going punish myself and risk feeling like I can't cheer for the White Sox when Myers is playing because HE'S an abusive prick.

GoGoCrede
07-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Truthfully, we don't even know what really happened between Myers and his wife either.

I keep seeing a few quotes in this thread and I'm wondering if they're from an official report, or if they're just quotes from random articles?

As an aside, I'm really happy this discussion is remaining civil. I expected a lot of angry debates and I'm glad we can all discuss this. Thanks, mods.

GoGoCrede
07-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Well we all have our own opinions and I absolutely respect yoursThere's things that happen behind closed doors that the public never finds out about, and being privy to some of that information has made me (or forced me rather for my own sanity) to try my hardest to have an opinion of say, Miggy Cabrera the person vs Cabrera the player.

We all have our demons and we all do dumb things, and theres a ton of players I look at and think "*******" ,.. but I still cheer for them as players and because i want my team to win. Does that mean I think they're very good people? No, but I'd have a hard pressed time finding ANY team anywhere that I could root for if I knew all the awful horribly ****ty things a lot of the guys have done in their past.

I might be slightly more conditioned to trying to separate the two because I've had to do it for so long... I just find it easier to enjoy baseball when I look at it objectively rather than driving myself crazy wondering how I could cheer for a guy who punched his wife in the face 5 years ago. I'm not going punish myself and risk feeling like I can't cheer for the White Sox when Myers is playing because HE'S an abusive prick.

Thank you, I respect yours as well. I'm getting a new perspective from this thread. I do think I'd enjoy baseball a bit more if I COULD separate the player from the person as you're able to do. I won't stop enjoying the Sox (and I don't think I'd outright cheer or boo him), but when he goes out to pitch I'll probably just get up and get a drink from the fridge, lol.

I also think players who have done even worse than Myers probably just have better PR people since we don't know about it. I'm sure there's so much we don't know, as you have confirmed.

Thome25
07-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Dick Allen
George Bell
Terry Bevington
Wil Cordero
Tony Phillips
Royce Clayton
Albert Belle
Carlos Lee
Magglio Ordonez
Jaime Navarro
David Wells
Jose Canseco
Carl Everett
Bobby Jenks
AJ Pierzynski
Ozzie Guillen
Frank Thomas
Sammy Sosa
Roberto Alomar
Brett Myers

These are just the names of a few Sox ballplayers/coaches who have been (and in some cases still are) considered douchbags at some point in their careers.

Some were brought up on criminal charges while others were just flat out douche bags to the fans, media, their teammates, and their own families.

The bottom line is, alot of the time athletes are douchbags in their personal lives and IMO you have to learn to separate the person from the athlete....or watching sports just isn't for you IMO.

We're not watching them because we want to see what honorable boy scouts they can be. We watch them because they're good at sports.

I also believe that if a person (whether they're a professional athlete or not) makes a mistake, learns from it, and is genuinely sorry for it...then they deserve forgiveness and a 2nd shot at redeeming themselves.

dickallen15
07-22-2012, 10:44 AM
That's 100% pure bull****, Dick. Brian wasn't arguing that it is okay for a guy to hit women and you know it. That's a shameful argumentative tactic.

As for my take, I don't like Myers and never will. There were some incongruities in the case, such as witnesses reporting he punched her several times in the face, yet her face not being all smashed up. That doesn't make that big of a difference, since it is not really much better at all if he just slapped her instead of punching. I also think that there is a very good chance he did/had hit her other times. I understand that often times in cases of domestic violence, the woman will feel responsible for being attacked and not press charges, so it's no ringing endorsement that they are still married and he didn't get charged. However, we really have nothing else to go off of here. There have been no other times since then that we know of where he hit his wife, and since we wasn't charged last time, he didn't really have a debt to repay to society, a la prison. It is never okay for a man to hit a woman under any circumstances, and if it happens again I hope his wife is strong enough to press charges and divorce him. However, until that happens, Myers is free to play. I won't like him as a player or buy a t-shirt of his, but at this point I don't think having him on the team is the worst thing ever.

Actually the original article said the eyewitnesses saw him slap her face once and drag her by her hair, and the eyewitnesses reported she said, 'I am not going to let you do this to me anymore." That indicates its happened before. The police report says Mrs. Myers was found crying with a swollen cheek and she said he punched her twice. He didn't get charged because just like the vast majority of domestic abuse cases, the wife ultimately refuses to press charges. If anyone wants to clap and cheer or get an autograph or put this guy on a pedestal because he can throw a baseball 94 MPH, that's their business. Everytime I see him in a White Sox uniform, I'm going to be thinking of that night in Boston. I hate that he's a White Sox.

Thome25
07-22-2012, 10:45 AM

Someone close the thread because this is the bottom line right here.

kittle42
07-22-2012, 10:55 AM
And you know, it's not just being a douchebag or doing illegal things. Humber posted a bunch of stuff to his Twitter after his perfecto which made me realize I think he's a moron, but that didn't mean I rooted for him less when I saw him pitch Tuesday.

You have to separate it for your own sanity, as was stated earlier.

voodoochile
07-22-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm not going to close this (yet) but I do ask that people try to keep a lid on their anger and frustration and not let it get the best of them. It's possible to have a discussion about this stuff without tearing each other to bits in the process.

Hopefully he has grown since that incident. Alcohol and drugs can lead people to cross lines they won't when sober, hopefully that was the case here.

Tragg
07-22-2012, 01:19 PM
It's just for a few months, My issue is that he just isn't a particularly good pitcher - 1.34 WHIP, 3.5 ERA against NL competition and doesn't have much stuff.. If we gave up 3 non-prospects, fine - hope that's the case and that he pitches well.

SI1020
07-22-2012, 01:31 PM
And you know, it's not just being a douchebag or doing illegal things. Humber posted a bunch of stuff to his Twitter after his perfecto which made me realize I think he's a moron, but that didn't mean I rooted for him less when I saw him pitch Tuesday.

You have to separate it for your own sanity, as was stated earlier. I wish, I really wish I could say what I wanted to.

kittle42
07-22-2012, 03:22 PM
I wish, I really wish I could say what I wanted to.

There's always PMs.

I don't post at Politically Incorrect because I don't want to hate any of the posters here.

BainesHOF
07-22-2012, 05:10 PM
From purely a baseball point of view, this is a great trade, especially when you look at what the team gave up.

Reed was to be a closer for a rebuilding team. He is most definitely not a closer at the moment for a contending team. He's okay against mediocre to bad competition, but he's a pitcher waiting to be beat by contending teams. He throws around the same speed too much, doesn't get over breaking pitches enough and his fastball isn't fast enough to rely on it by itself.

I haven't seen Myers pitch in quite awhile, but going off his stats I'm all for making him our closer. The only other pitcher on our staff who has a chance to fill that role with success this year is Crain.

By the way, I don't ever want to see Thornton pitch in a meaningful ninth inning again. Everyone should know by now that he doesn't do well in pressure situations.

Williams has done his part to make this team a surprising contender which has legitimate World Series possibilities when you consider the front of the rotation. Now it's up to the players to produce.

I think the pitching will be good enough. The defense is great. The offense is the big variable to me. At this point, I'd say the most important part/biggest question mark on the team is Konerko. To me, it's obvious that he's injured. He probably can have surgery now and miss the rest of the season or play it out and have surgery in the offseason. What are the chances that Konerko will return to form this year? I fear the answer to that question. Without a dangerous Konerko bat in the lineup, I'm afraid the team is doomed.

SCCWS
07-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Actually the original article said the eyewitnesses saw him slap her face once and drag her by her hair, and the eyewitnesses reported she said, 'I am not going to let you do this to me anymore." That indicates its happened before. The police report says Mrs. Myers was found crying with a swollen cheek and she said he punched her twice. He didn't get charged because just like the vast majority of domestic abuse cases, the wife ultimately refuses to press charges. If anyone wants to clap and cheer or get an autograph or put this guy on a pedestal because he can throw a baseball 94 MPH, that's their business. Everytime I see him in a White Sox uniform, I'm going to be thinking of that night in Boston. I hate that he's a White Sox.

I applaud your stance if that is how you feel. But you post as Dick Allen 15. I would assume you are a big Dick Allen fan. But he dumped his wife ( and ultimately his children) for a younger woman. Now because of this he got screwed in divorce court but regardless, do you condone his actions???

kittle42
07-22-2012, 05:25 PM
I applaud your stance if that is how you feel. But you post as Dick Allen 15. I would assume you are a big Dick Allen fan. But he dumped his wife ( and ultimately his children) for a younger woman. Now because of this he got screwed in divorce court but regardless, do you condone his actions???

THAT's your parallel?

It's not a crime. It's arguably not even immoral. Half the country gets divorced for different reasons.

SephClone89
07-22-2012, 05:39 PM
that's your parallel?

It's not a crime. It's arguably not even immoral. Half the country gets divorced for different reasons.

+1

russ99
07-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Fact is that Myers did his odorous things drunk and as a member of the Phillies in 2006.

I've followed him as an Astros fan and since 2010 in Houston he's been a model citizen other than minor altercations with the press which is expected of a big league player with a sketchy past.

I see him like an older Bobby Jenks. He may have done some unsavory things in the past, but he's grown up since then and that doesn't diminish his skill as a pitcher.

soxguy
07-28-2012, 12:17 PM
I for one don't give a crap what he does in his personal life. We are trying to win a world series here, not a boy scout troop.

doublem23
07-28-2012, 12:38 PM
I for one don't give a crap what he does in his personal life. We are trying to win a world series here, not a boy scout troop.

There's a line you can cross that personal shortcomings would cause me to not support a player. Myers isn't at that level to me. Not that I'm saying hitting a women isn't a big deal, just that in this case it appears to be one terrible mistake. I don't think anyone deserves to be judged solely on the single worst moment of their life. We'd all be pretty big scumbags if that were the case.

voodoochile
07-28-2012, 12:52 PM
There's a line you can cross that personal shortcomings would cause me to not support a player. Myers isn't at that level to me. Not that I'm saying hitting a women isn't a big deal, just that in this case it appears to be one terrible mistake. I don't think anyone deserves to be judged solely on the single worst moment of their life. We'd all be pretty big scumbags if that were the case.

Bingo!

doublem23
08-04-2012, 06:12 AM
Sox completed the Myers trade last night by sending Chris Devenski, 21-year-old who had kind of been a reliever/starter swingman in Kannapolis, to Houston as the PTBNL

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=devens000chr

KenBerryGrab
08-04-2012, 10:54 AM
It's nice having someone to trust in the eighth or top of the ninth. Just don't let him finish enough games for the clause to kick in.

Tragg
08-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Sox completed the Myers trade last night by sending Chris Devenski, 21-year-old who had kind of been a reliever/starter swingman in Kannapolis, to Houston as the PTBNL

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=devens000chr

Sox dealt from strength in all of these trades - minor league pitchers with modest ceilings. Sox seem able to fill back of bullpen/5th starter roles pretty easily internally.
The only trade that sent the Sox scrambling some was dealing the utility infielder - low ceiling positional depth in the minors is a different story (although I do think that we have one fairly high ceiling SS prospect who, obviously, needs to stay there to develop).

doublem23
08-05-2012, 01:16 PM
The only trade that sent the Sox scrambling some was dealing the utility infielder - low ceiling positional depth in the minors is a different story (although I do think that we have one fairly high ceiling SS prospect who, obviously, needs to stay there to develop).

If you're talking about Carlos Sanchez, I'm not sure how high his ceiling is (I interpret high ceiling to mean potential star player). He definitely has a chance to be an MLB regular, but I'm also not sure he's going to be a SS, seeing as even in Birmingham, he's playing 2B most regularly.

He's still probably established himself as one of our better everyday player prospects, with Mitchell if he could ever cut down on the ****ing strike outs, Walker, who has really turned the corner lately, and Joey DeMichele, who has really been on fire to start his professional career.