PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 7-20 DET 4 SOX 2 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
07-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Not a great start to this series.

mmmmmbeeer
07-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Eh, this is the one we were expected to lose. So be it.

CoopaLoop
07-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Absolutely need Sale to be a true stopper tomorrow.

Golden Sox
07-20-2012, 09:07 PM
With all of this talk about the White Sox needing more pitching, perhaps we can get somebody who can hit also. Since the all star break, this team is having a hard time scoring runs.

OmahaSoxFan
07-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Move on boys, go get 'em tomorrow... With Verlander on the hill, I didn't expect the Sox win this one anyway.

LoveYourSuit
07-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Last night's loss makes these next two games crucial to kind of avoid a complete mental free-fall.

eastchicagosoxfan
07-20-2012, 09:11 PM
Absolutely need Sale to be a true stopper tomorrow.
Absolutely need RBI's tomorrow, unless Sale's expected to win a 1-0 game.

Zakath
07-20-2012, 09:18 PM
One bad inning cost us the game.

In eight games since the Break, we've scored 3 runs or less 6 times. Needless to say, our record in those games is 1-5.

Our pitching staff's ERA for the season now is 4.02. Gave up exactly as many runs as we do on average. When only three guys get hits (and they're hitting 1, 5, and 8), you're not going to score many runs.

We've seen their ace. Our bats need to wake up against the rest of their sorry pitching staff.

Noneck
07-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Tough to win this one. Peavy had to out pitch Verlander but Peavy is not as good as Verlander.

DickAllen72
07-20-2012, 09:20 PM
With all of this talk about the White Sox needing more pitching, perhaps we can get somebody who can hit also. Since the all star break, this team is having a hard time scoring runs.
You are correct.

As soon as Detroit scored their third run I knew this game was over as I had no confidence that this offense could score four runs tonight.

Sox need to acquire a big bat.

Zakath
07-20-2012, 09:26 PM
You are correct.

As soon as Detroit scored their third run I knew this game was over as I had no confidence that this offense could score four runs tonight.

We have a lot of big bats, but none of them showed up. 0-15 from Youk, Dunn, Paulie, and AJ, which is sad because Verlander really wasn't dominating tonight.

You win games like this by putting up crooked numbers, and for that you need to string together hits, like Detroit did in the third.

Brian26
07-20-2012, 09:27 PM

What position would that person play....who would be replaced?

Brian26
07-20-2012, 09:27 PM

To replace whom?

DickAllen72
07-20-2012, 09:28 PM
We have a lot of big bats, but none of them showed up. 0-15 from Youk, Dunn, Paulie, and AJ, which is sad because Verlander really wasn't dominating tonight.

You win games like this by putting up crooked numbers, and for that you need to string together hits, like Detroit did in the third.
We need a good big bat.

34rancher
07-20-2012, 09:29 PM
You are correct.

I'd settle for some small bats that make contact. You aren't supposed to win with 4 hits.

Frater Perdurabo
07-20-2012, 09:32 PM
What hitter could/would the Sox acquire?

Most difference-making hitters play positions already occupied by our good hitters: Rios, PK, Dunn, Youkilis, Viciedo, AJ, DeAza. So do you bench or platoon one of them, or break up the double-play combo?

It's not like the Sox have a hole in their lineup now. They just need to hit better.

Brian26
07-20-2012, 09:36 PM
It's not like the Sox have a hole in their lineup now. They just need to hit better.

Exactly. There's not one glaring weak-link in the lineup right now. You're not going to make a blockbuster trade to replace Konerko for a few weeks until he gets better (he's already hitting the ball harder and showing signs of de-slumping), and no matter whom you replace, it probably creates a defensive liability that doesn't currently exist. There's no way you could bench Beckham right now for, say, Dan Uggla the way Beckham is playing second. Same thing goes for Alexei.

TDog
07-20-2012, 09:39 PM
It worries me when a White Sox starter begins the game with so many strikeouts. There used to be a baseball superstition that striking out the leadoff man was a bad omen. That has pretty much disappeared as so many hitters, even leadoff men, don't work not to be struck out the way they used to, but as dominant as Peavy must have looked through the first five batters, I was concerned about the work required to get the strikeouts.

I know many will disagree with me, but it isn't just a matter of pitch counts, although if care about pitch counts (and that wasn't a concern for tonight's two starters) strikeouts will limit your starter's innings. I was worrieed that Peavy tonight might be showing Detroit everything he had the first time through the order, perhaps trying to make to do too much in making a statement. Or maybe he was just pumped up and the adreneline rush wore off. Whatever, the second time through the order, the Tigers were able to handle him.

Sadly, the White Sox lost another winnable game tonight. Whatever the reason Peavy gave up the lead, the three-run inning sent Verlander out to the mound leading instead of trailing, and Verlander is usually a better pitcher when he has the lead and as the game progresses.

Saturday isn't a must-win. It's only July. But will be a big road game after two tough losses.

Noneck
07-20-2012, 09:42 PM
It would be nice to have a better hitting bench player but that would not have much of an affect on the teams hitting woes.

sullythered
07-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Tough to win this one. Peavy had to out pitch Verlander but Peavy is not as good as Verlander.

Sale is though.

Noneck
07-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Sale is though.

At this moment he may be and Peavy may be better than Porcello.

palehozenychicty
07-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Sale is though.

Slow down. He's grown up a lot faster than we expected this season. But until he wins a Cy Young and does it consistently, we just wait.

We do need him to throw the ball well. The team also needs to hit better. Then we have a shot.

Lip Man 1
Peavy pitched well enough to win if he had some support...but it was against Verlander so what are you going to do?

Kinda makes Saturday's game a "little" important from a momentum standpoint no?

Detroit's what now something like 15-3 in their last 18? Something like that?

Looks like they woke up.

Lip

slavko
Exactly. There's not one glaring weak-link in the lineup right now. You're not going to make a blockbuster trade to replace Konerko for a few weeks until he gets better (he's already hitting the ball harder and showing signs of de-slumping), and no matter whom you replace, it probably creates a defensive liability that doesn't currently exist. There's no way you could bench Beckham right now for, say, Dan Uggla the way Beckham is playing second. Same thing goes for Alexei.

Therein lies the germ of an idea. Say they don't bench Beckham for Uggla (just an example), but use him as part of a deal for Uggla. Might happen. TCM likewise.

TDog
07-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Peavy pitched well enough to win if he had some support...but it was against Verlander so what are you going to do?

Looks like they woke up.

Lip

Peavy had a runner on third and two out with a 2-0 lead before hitting a batter and giving up three RBI hits. He didn't pitch well enough to win.

Brian26
07-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Therein lies the germ of an idea. Say they don't bench Beckham for Uggla (just an example), but use him as part of a deal for Uggla. Might happen. TCM likewise.

I've come around on both guys. I like their defense too much. If the big bats in the middle do their job, you don't have to worry about having a power-hitting second baseman. Of course, if the big bats go into a slump, you've got the '83 White Sox again with Law, Dybzinski and Cruz at the bottom of the order.

eastchicagosoxfan
07-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Dunn is batting a bit over .200. He's all or nothing and lately too much nothing. Our number three hitter has to produce with more consistently.

JB98
07-20-2012, 10:02 PM
It's hard to get out of a slump against Verlander. Predictable result. Peavy needed to be lights out, and he was not.

Frater Perdurabo
07-20-2012, 10:19 PM

Looks like they woke up.

Lip

The Tigers have been on a hot streak. So have the Cubs. All teams have hot streaks and cold slumps. The Tigers aren't going to play .800 ball the rest of the year. I don't like the way the Sox are playing right now, and if we lose the division by one or two games there will be plenty of debate in October on what winnable games we lost hurt the most. But for the time being, let's enjoy the fact that we remain in first place, are in a pennant race at the end of July, and play crisp, fundamental defense to back up solid pitching.

slavko
07-20-2012, 10:20 PM
I've come around on both guys. I like their defense too much. If the big bats in the middle do their job, you don't have to worry about having a power-hitting second baseman. Of course, if the big bats go into a slump, you've got the '83 White Sox again with Law, Dybzinski and Cruz at the bottom of the order.

Not saying I want it to happen cause I don't, but not putting it past Kenny.

central44
07-20-2012, 10:37 PM
The Tigers have been on a hot streak. So have the Cubs. All teams have hot streaks and cold slumps. The Tigers aren't going to play .800 ball the rest of the year. I don't like the way the Sox are playing right now, and if we lose the division by one or two games there will be plenty of debate in October on what winnable games we lost hurt the most. But for the time being, let's enjoy the fact that we remain in first place, are in a pennant race at the end of July, and play crisp, fundamental defense to back up solid pitching.

Exactly.

Detroit is hot right now. The Sox are going through a bit of a cold streak. The timing isn't ideal but every team goes through each.

I highly doubt Detroit will remain this hot, and I highly doubt the Sox offense will remain this cold. We have all seen firsthand just how good it can be.

It would be nice to be back at full strength, though.

BigKlu59
07-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Still suffer from the Verlander Complex...If they were gonna lose a game this one was it.. Cinch em up tomorrow and take a game back..Somebody needs to keep the lumber out of the freezer..

BK59

Crooked Number
07-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Big opportunity for the club to show some resilience and composure tomorrow. Got our best guy going, time for our ace to follow suit and get the W.

Lip Man 1
07-20-2012, 11:18 PM
Last 13 games:

Sox 7-6
Tigers 11-2

The Sox have played 93 games. They have scored three runs or less in 40 of them. (43% of all games)

Sox record when scoring three runs or less is 8-32.

This appears to be the worst offensive stretch since June 13 through June 26. In 13 games the Sox scored three runs or less nine times (5-8 in that stretch)

Lip

guillensdisciple
07-21-2012, 12:56 AM
We suck

cards press box
07-21-2012, 04:06 AM

+1. Even good teams will have down periods at some point in a season and, what's more, the Sox are in one of the toughest points in the schedule all year. If the Sox can win one or two in this series and make it through the next couple of weeks at or near the top of the division, they are going to be OK.

harwar
07-21-2012, 07:48 AM
If the Sox can win one or two in this series and make it through the next couple of weeks at or near the top of the division, they are going to be OK.

This is how i see things also .. i expect the division lead to change hands a few times before seasons end .. you just don't want to be the only one left standing when the music stops .. it's going to be an exciting ten and a half weeks ..

Over By There
07-21-2012, 08:15 AM

Well said. :thumbsup:

amsteel
07-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Pretty soon, instead of at bat music for the Sox they're gonna start playing the Benny Hill song.

The components of this team are quite good. Getting them all to work at the same time seems to be the issue.

eastchicagosoxfan
07-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Last 13 games:

Sox 7-6
Tigers 11-2

The Sox have played 93 games. They have scored three runs or less in 40 of them. (43% of all games)

Sox record when scoring three runs or less is 8-32.

This appears to be the worst offensive stretch since June 13 through June 26. In 13 games the Sox scored three runs or less nine times (5-8 in that stretch)

Lip

Thanks Lip!

Zakath
07-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Last 13 games:

Sox 7-6
Tigers 11-2

Detroit's had the advantage of only playing 3 of those 13 on the road, and those 3 were in Baltimore. We on the other hand have played 8 of those 13 on the road.

The bad news is is at this point, we only have 1 more home game left (35) than we do road games, and we haven't been a stellar home team (24-22).

JB98
07-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Detroit's had the advantage of only playing 3 of those 13 on the road, and those 3 were in Baltimore. We on the other hand have played 8 of those 13 on the road.

The bad news is is at this point, we only have 1 more home game left (35) than we do road games, and we haven't been a stellar home team (24-22).

True, but at least the Sox have been trending the right way at home. You may recall they started out losing 13 of their first 20 at home. They are 17-9 in their last 26 at USCF. Their last homestand against Texas and Toronto was excellent.

This road trip, however, has sucked. The Sox haven't looked sharp. It sucks to be slumping at the same time the Tigers are hot. It's been a frustrating week to say the least.