PDA

View Full Version : Ventura On Managing Pitching Situations...

Lip Man 1
07-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Only thing that I'm confused about is the comment that Thornton started the inning because of his success against Crawford and Gonzales.

I thought someone pointed out the numbers that Crawford hit Thornton very well?

:?:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-ventura-reed-remains-soxs-closer-20120720,0,4834467.story

Lip

mccoydp
07-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Only thing that I'm confused about is the comment that Thornton started the inning because of his success against Crawford and Gonzales.

I thought someone pointed out the numbers that Crawford hit Thornton very well?

:?:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-ventura-reed-remains-soxs-closer-20120720,0,4834467.story

Lip

I believe that Hawk said he was 5 or 6 for his last 16 against Crawford.

all*star quentin
07-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Rock and a hard place for RV, needing to rely on the veteran. Thornton pitches as if he's injured. no teal

Noneck
07-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Rock and a hard place for RV, needing to rely on the veteran. Thornton pitches as if he's injured. no teal

Father time catches up to all.

SBSoxFan
07-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Father time catches up to all.

Thornton still has plenty of fastball that he can still be extremely effective. He needed to learn how to throw an off-speed pitch 3 years ago, but never has. I have no idea why.

Noneck
07-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Thornton still has plenty of fastball that he can still be extremely effective. He needed to learn how to throw an off-speed pitch 3 years ago, but never has. I have no idea why.

Years back his fastball was enough, now its just not good enough because its not the same fastball he had back then.

SBSoxFan
07-20-2012, 10:32 PM
Years back his fastball was enough, now its just not good enough because its not the same fastball he had back then.

Data in the other thread seems to disagree with that.

Noneck
07-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Data in the other thread seems to disagree with that.

A fastball isnt only about velocity but also location and movement. These factors can be affected by age.

SBSoxFan
07-20-2012, 10:35 PM
A fastball isnt only about velocity but also location and movement. These factors can be affected by age.

Which is why he should have learned to throw an off-speed pitch 3 years ago.

Noneck
07-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Which is why he should have learned to throw an off-speed pitch 3 years ago.

Pitchers dont look 3 years down the road if what they have works, they stick with it. We will see next year (which is his contract year) if the old saying is true, You cant teach an old dog new tricks.

ZombieRob
07-21-2012, 01:47 AM
See therein lies the problem. His fastball has dipped 2mph and it's very straight. He really should of made the adjustment and learned an off speed pitch

fusillirob1983
07-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Pitchers dont look 3 years down the road if what they have works, they stick with it. We will see next year (which is his contract year) if the old saying is true, You cant teach an old dog new tricks.

That would be like Derrick Rose deciding not to practice his 3-pointers in the offseason because what he was doing before was pretty good.

Or Michael Jordan not learning how to post up.

Etc.