PDA

View Full Version : Lets juggle the lineup a bit.

LITTLE NELL
07-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Right now PK is in a horrible slump, lets try this:

DeAza
Youk
Rios
Dunn
PK
AJ
Tank
TCM
Beckham (will we ever see the 2009 Gordo again?)

Noneck
07-20-2012, 10:50 AM
I dont know exactly what the batting order should be but if Paul is playing hurt he shouldnt be batting cleanup. A team cant have a slow banjo hitting cleanup hitter and be successful. At this stage he should be dropped to either the 6th or 7th slot if he is hurt. Paul and Sox are the only ones that know if he has a chronic injury, if its a slump then its a different story.

eriqjaffe
07-20-2012, 11:08 AM
IIRC, Ventura is on record saying that he won't move Konerko down in the lineup unless his slump lasts "into October".

SOXfnNlansing
07-20-2012, 12:07 PM
L DeAza been above average at lead off all year
R Youk
R Rios
R Konerko
L Dunn won't kill rally like he did in 3 hole
L AJ
R Viciedo
R Beckham bunt guys over
R Ramirez speed at the bottom, not an automatic out

JB98
07-20-2012, 02:46 PM
I dont know exactly what the batting order should be but if Paul is playing hurt he shouldnt be batting cleanup. A team cant have a slow banjo hitting cleanup hitter and be successful. At this stage he should be dropped to either the 6th or 7th slot if he is hurt. Paul and Sox are the only ones that know if he has a chronic injury, if its a slump then its a different story.

They keep saying it's a slump. I don't know. Paul's loss of power really concerns me. He's been mixing in a few more hits lately, but it's been almost all singles -- and a double that was nothing more than a grounder down the right field line that beat the defensive alignment.

Madvora
07-20-2012, 02:48 PM
IIRC, Ventura is on record saying that he won't move Konerko down in the lineup unless his slump lasts "into October".

If Konerko's slump lasts that long, we won't see October.

delben91
07-20-2012, 03:07 PM
They keep saying it's a slump. I don't know. Paul's loss of power really concerns me. He's been mixing in a few more hits lately, but it's been almost all singles -- and a double that was nothing more than a grounder down the right field line that beat the defensive alignment.

At least the fact that he's going to right field is encouraging approach-wise, so that's something.

There have been anecdotal indications that his wrist is bothering him, seems to be the likely culprit.

If the choice is singles vice nothing, I'll take the singles, just not what we count on from Konerko. An injured Konerko is still probably better than a healthy Dan Johnson.

SCCWS
07-20-2012, 03:31 PM
Right now PK is in a horrible slump, lets try this:

DeAza
Youk
Rios
Dunn
PK
AJ
Tank
TCM
Beckham (will we ever see the 2009 Gordo again?)

PK was 5 for 12 in the Boston series. That is not a horrible slump. They pitched him away and he went to right several times

JB98
07-20-2012, 03:37 PM
At least the fact that he's going to right field is encouraging approach-wise, so that's something.

There have been anecdotal indications that his wrist is bothering him, seems to be the likely culprit.

If the choice is singles vice nothing, I'll take the singles, just not what we count on from Konerko. An injured Konerko is still probably better than a healthy Dan Johnson.

Very true. There's nothing about Dan Johnson's profile that suggests he can be a productive middle-of-the-order hitter.

As concerned as I am about Konerko, I'm not sure I can go along with the people who are suggesting a DL stint for him. Two or three weeks off isn't necessarily going to make that thing better. Even if he's not producing the way we're used to seeing, his presence in the lineup means something.

Dan Johnson, in contrast, is not a presence in the lineup.

Noneck
07-20-2012, 03:45 PM

Harrleson mentioned wrist, hand and back yesterday, then him and Stone talked about guys with back problems. I think Paul is hurt and hope its not a chronic injury. If it is chronic and he does not have any power, he should not be batting cleanup. You can not afford to have a slow footed slap hitter in the middle of the lineup.

delben91
07-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Harrleson mentioned wrist, hand and back yesterday, then him and Stone talked about guys with back problems. I think Paul is hurt and hope its not a chronic injury. If it is chronic and he does not have any power, he should not be batting cleanup. You can not afford to have a slow footed slap hitter in the middle of the lineup.

This entirely from my own inferrence on similar types of things I've heard, but I've gotten the distinct impression that the wrist issue is one that will require off-season surgery. If that's the case, and it's the current version of Konerko, or no Konerko the rest of the year, I'd keep the current version.

Maybe not hitting cleanup, but still.

kobo
07-20-2012, 04:21 PM
L DeAza been above average at lead off all year
R Youk
R Rios
R Konerko
L Dunn won't kill rally like he did in 3 hole
L AJ
R Viciedo
R Beckham bunt guys over
R Ramirez speed at the bottom, not an automatic out
What exactly does this mean? Is Dunn killing rallies more than other hitters in the lineup? I don't think so and nobody has been able to prove that Dunn is failing more than others. Also don't like having 2 left handed hitters back-to-back because in a late game situation the opponent can bring in a LOOGY.

TDog
07-20-2012, 05:58 PM
What exactly does this mean? Is Dunn killing rallies more than other hitters in the lineup? I don't think so and nobody has been able to prove that Dunn is failing more than others. Also don't like having 2 left handed hitters back-to-back because in a late game situation the opponent can bring in a LOOGY.

Teams are doing that already when De Aza leads off innings in close games. They either go around Youkilis or take their chances with him depending on the situation.

I don't think reworking the lineup really would make a positive difference and don't expect it will happen. But I think you are more likely to see Viciedo hit cleanup than Dunn if Konerko were to move down in the order or sit out some games.