PDA

View Full Version : How Many Wins in Detroit?

delben91
07-20-2012, 12:25 AM
After that gut-punch to end getting utterly dominated in Boston, do the Sox bounce back or does the hangover continue through the weekend?

I vote zero, I think Detroit will win Friday on Verlander's back, and ride that momentum through the weekend, with the Sox offense continuing its general ineptitude.

CoopaLoop
07-20-2012, 12:31 AM
Everyone will predict disaster after tonight and they will win 2 in Detroit.

CHISOXFAN13
07-20-2012, 12:35 AM
I've had a little while to shake off the feelings of that loss, so my optimistic side feels like we take two.

I think both teams make the playoffs when the dust settles.

DSpivack
07-20-2012, 12:44 AM

amsteel
07-20-2012, 12:46 AM
They'll win at least one, but that doesn't mean they'll play well.

We'll see how motivated RV can keep the team after the last two **** kickers of games.

JB98
07-20-2012, 12:59 AM
I'll say one, just because I don't want to be a complete ass and say zero.

I haven't been happy with much of anything on this road trip. The team looks slumpy at a time when Detroit is red hot.

Hopefully, the optimists are flaming this post come Sunday night.

HomeFish
07-20-2012, 01:12 AM
I think this is the end of the 2012 White Sox miracle run. It all comes crashing down in the Motor City as a resurgent Tigers team sweeps us and reclaims the division that, on paper, should be theirs by 10 games.

Nellie_Fox
07-20-2012, 01:13 AM
I think this is the end of the 2012 White Sox miracle run. It all comes crashing down in the Motor City as a resurgent Tigers team sweeps us and reclaims the division that, on paper, should be theirs by 10 games.There's the HomeFish we all know!

central44
07-20-2012, 01:28 AM

Detroit might be hotter than the Sox right now, but they're not a better team. The only edge they might have is a slight one offensively, and our Sox are significantly better in every other facet of the game. I expect the Sox to rise to the occasion for the big series, and I expect Peavy, Sale and our defense to negate their offense.

If our offense doesn't come back, the Sox should be able to beat this team in a close pitchers duel because they'll make fewer mistakes. If it does come back, they should tee off on Detroit's pitching, which after Verlander is *terrible.*

JB98
07-20-2012, 01:44 AM

Detroit might be hotter than the Sox right now, but they're not a better team. The only edge they might have is a slight one offensively, and our Sox are significantly better in every other facet of the game. I expect the Sox to rise to the occasion for the big series, and I expect Peavy, Sale and our defense to negate their offense.

If our offense doesn't come back, the Sox should be able to beat this team in a close pitchers duel because they'll make fewer mistakes. If it does come back, they should tee off on Detroit's pitching, which after Verlander is *terrible.*

Porcello might be terrible, but he's 2-0 with a 1.29 ERA in 14 IP against the Sox this year.

guillensdisciple
07-20-2012, 02:38 AM
Porcello might be terrible, but he's 2-0 with a 1.29 ERA in 14 IP against the Sox this year.

See Bruce chen, Mendoza, and luke hochevar

guillensdisciple
07-20-2012, 02:39 AM

They just took 3 of 4 from a good angels team. Just saying, might be optimistic but it sure as hell will be hard to get out of there with a sweep.

WhiteSox5187
07-20-2012, 02:40 AM
I think we lose tomorrow, we win on Saturday and Sunday.

LITTLE NELL
07-20-2012, 07:22 AM
I go with 2, the team has come back all year after devastating losses and will leave Detroit with a 2.5 game lead.

kufram
07-20-2012, 07:31 AM
I've learned not to try to predict baseball results. I hope for a series win. We were a couple of pitches away from a split in Boston so I'm not ready to throw in the towel as yet. This team has shown great resilience and I see no reason to give up on them. You just have to accept the streaky results of the offense, which means this streak will end too. The pitching has had poor streaks as well but, what do you know, WE are still in first place. Detroit isn't going to win the rest of their games.

It's always tough to lose like last night and the WSI suicide rate inevitably takes a big leap, but then teetering on the brink of disaster can be a way of life.

Dan H
07-20-2012, 08:07 AM
I said one. This team just isn't hitting. And they were extremely lucky they didn't get swept in Boston. The injuries and lack of depth are catching up with the Sox. And I hope Ventura doesn't "sacrifice" the Sunday game.

doublem23
07-20-2012, 08:14 AM
I said one. This team just isn't hitting. And they were extremely lucky they didn't get swept in Boston. The injuries and lack of depth are catching up with the Sox. And I hope Ventura doesn't "sacrifice" the Sunday game.

I would assume by now most people who watch baseball should know that "extreme luck" probably is the deciding factor in most single game results... The Sox were only a couple pitches away from splitting the series and perhaps one inning away from taking 3 of 4.

At any rate, this is the same team who two weeks ago annihilated one of the best teams in the AL; and the kind of reverence people here have for the mediocre Tigers would be more embarrassing if it wasn't so pathetic.

SCCWS
07-20-2012, 08:47 AM

I was surprised he didn't sit AJ last night before for the Tiger series. Maybe w Youk out they decided to rest him one game in Detroit instead.

Railsplitter
07-20-2012, 08:56 AM
On July 1, the Tigers were a sub- .500 team. They're not going to win 80% of thier remaing games.

The mark of winner is consistency. Alternating hot streaks and cold streaks does not a champion make,

sox1970
07-20-2012, 09:07 AM
On July 1, the Tigers were a sub- .500 team. They're not going to win 80% of thier remaing games.

The mark of winner is consistency. Alternating hot streaks and cold streaks does not a champion make,

Who said the Tigers have to win 80% of their games?

They were 39-42 at the half way mark. Since then, they're 10-2. They've played their way back to if they win 60% of their games now, they win 90 games.

And alternating cold and hot streaks...let's check the Sox season so far:

10-6
7-15
14-2
5-11
11-4
3-5

doublem23
07-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Who said the Tigers have to win 80% of their games?

They were 39-42 at the half way mark. Since then, they're 10-2. They've played their way back to if they win 60% of their games now, they win 90 games.

And alternating cold and hot streaks...let's check the Sox season so far:

10-6
7-15
14-2
5-11
11-4
3-5

The Tigers suck and we're going to beat the **** out of them.

Welcome to baseball. Time to man up.

sox1970
07-20-2012, 09:51 AM
The Tigers suck and we're going to beat the **** out of them.

Welcome to baseball. Time to man up.

10 games left with them. The better team will win. Hope it's us.

doublem23
07-20-2012, 09:57 AM
10 games left with them. The better team will win. Hope it's us.

It is us. They suck ass.

sox1970
07-20-2012, 10:03 AM
it is us. They suck ass.

k

mahagga73
07-20-2012, 10:07 AM
I like the matchups for the White Sox .I think they can win one,definitely two. This is all contingent on Robin not getting the case of the stupids again and pulling Sale or Peavy after 8 with a 1-0 lead and putting Thornton in.

TheOldRoman
07-20-2012, 11:11 AM
I going with two wins, althought I wouldn't be at all surprised if these *******s put on their bigboy pants tonight and beat Verlander, but then score three runs over the next two days against bad pitching.

doublem23
07-20-2012, 11:14 AM
I going with two wins, althought I wouldn't be at all surprised if these *******s put on their bigboy pants tonight and beat Verlander, but then score three runs over the next two days against bad pitching.

If I take off my homer glasses and try to look at this series objectively (which I hate doing, BTW), the swing game here is Humber. If he pitches well the Sox probably win 2/3 and calm everyone down. If he pitches ****ty, then we probably lose 2/3 and slink back to Chicago only up a 1/2 a game.

This Tigers team is really not very good, though, it would be a shame to waste such a good opportunity because 1/2 the lineup is currently M.I.A.

ChiSoxGal85
07-20-2012, 11:25 AM
It has a lot to do with timing. The Sox are hitting the Tigers in the middle of a hot streak, right when the Sox bullpen has hit a rocky patch and the offense seems to be struggling. It sucks, but I said 1 game. I hope the Sox prove me wrong.

FreeBuck12
07-20-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm saying 2. I'm a big believer in momentum however, and that mentality can give the team just the push they need in swing situations. This isn't the first time the Sox have faced an over-hyped mediocre team, and I truly believe they know they're superior. if we win against Verlander (and hes more than welcome to pitch the way he did starting the ASG) then we'll take Saturday for sure and maybe even Sunday.

also, since I wasn't a part of the pot game ranting last night, I'd just like to say that I highly dislike Cody Ross... and that the show boating last night was a little ridiculous, IMO

Sox
07-20-2012, 02:48 PM
As far as I'm concerned...new day...new series. I'm staying with my prediction of a 3 game win for the Sox.

tstrike2000
07-20-2012, 02:53 PM
I'll say two based on optimism, but too many rookies and a streaky offense could mean only 1 win.

Hitmen77
07-20-2012, 08:23 PM

I haven't been happy with much of anything on this road trip. The team looks slumpy at a time when Detroit is red hot.

That's pretty much my position too. I can see this team getting swept the way we've been playing - especially the offense.

If we can at least win 1 in Detroit, then we'll at least only lose 1 game in the standings and leave town still in first place. A sweep by Detroit this weekend would be a total disaster.

Sox
07-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Well so much for my prediction of a 3 game winning streak for the Sox. :mad:

SOXSINCE'70
07-21-2012, 07:22 PM
One,if the team is lucky. They have looked HORRENDOUS these last 2 games.:angry:

SOXSINCE'70
07-21-2012, 07:23 PM
One,if the team is lucky. They have looked HORRENDOUS these last 2 games.:angry:

Someone please get a big ****ing hit!!:angry:

Lip Man 1
07-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Like Detroit...it seems all they do is score with two outs.

Lip

JB98
07-22-2012, 06:04 PM

Next time, I'll stick with my gut and just say zero. Geez, what a terrible weekend of baseball.

kittle42
07-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Who are our six winners?

SOXfnNlansing
07-22-2012, 06:58 PM
so much for me thinking they'd win one game there :scratch:

guillensdisciple
07-22-2012, 07:19 PM
I just voted 0.

I was right.