PDA

View Full Version : Other Deals This Season

hold2dibber
07-26-2002, 09:06 AM
Quite a few people have said that the Sox couldn't have gotten more for Ray because of the current labor uncertainties. Does anyone have any insight or perspective into the quality of players other teams have picked up in their deals this trading season? In particular, what other "rent-a-player" types have been traded and what have the trading teams received in return? I don't think the Yankees/A's/Detroit deal for Weaver involved any rent-a-players. Cliff Floyd is a rent-a-player though - does anyone know if the players the Marlins got for him were signficantly better/worse than the guy we got for Durham? Any other examples we could use as a litmus test to judge how well KW did in this deal?

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Cliff Floyd is a rent-a-player though - does anyone know if the players the Marlins got for him were signficantly better/worse than the guy we got for Durham? Any other examples we could use as a litmus test to judge how well KW did in this deal?

I think Floyd is worth more than Durham myself. The Marlins got some good prospects but with baseball running that team, I'm not sure what to think about that deal.

Wait and see for now. See if Rolen or Thome gets moved.

diehardjoe
07-26-2002, 10:27 AM
This is straight from me White Sox ticket rep!

WHITE SOX ACQUIRE RIGHT-HANDER JON ADKINS FROM OAKLAND
IN EXCHANGE FOR RAY DURHAM AND CASH CONSIDERATIONS

KingXerxes
07-26-2002, 10:34 AM
I knew they would try to spin this as "WE GOT CASH".

This "spin" is symptomatic of the core problem of this team, they are more interested in hyping AA players, and marketing the existing roster than they are of actually getting better.

We are now in possession of a AAA pitcher with a 6.04 ERA, and all we'll hear about is how hard he throws and what a great future he has. I for one am not buying this crap anymore. For at least ten years now the White Sox have hyped and hyped and hyped their minor league talent, and there has been precious little in the way of results.

kermittheefrog
07-26-2002, 11:12 AM
The guys Detroit got for Brian Moehler and Milwaukee got for Tyler Houston were better than Adkins for Ray. It's not like either of those guys are better than Durham. Florida got nothing for Floyd but Jeffrey Loria is running that team into the ground, thats what his MO is. We're supposed to be trying to win at least.

duke of dorwood
07-26-2002, 11:40 AM
We are NOT trying to win-under the rules it takes to win. Even our minor league teams are all losing.

hold2dibber
07-26-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
The guys Detroit got for Brian Moehler and Milwaukee got for Tyler Houston were better than Adkins for Ray. It's not like either of those guys are better than Durham. Florida got nothing for Floyd but Jeffrey Loria is running that team into the ground, thats what his MO is. We're supposed to be trying to win at least.

Are Moehler and/or Houston free agents at the end of the year? If not, the comparison is not really fair -- I wouldn't expect to get as much for a rent-a-player as you would for a guy who will be on his team for at least another year or two.

LongDistanceFan
07-26-2002, 12:24 PM
in speaking of rent-a-player. i have to really see what the mets get for Edgardo Alfonzo.

CLR01
07-26-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
I knew they would try to spin this as "WE GOT CASH".

Unless you are referring to something other than diehardjoe's post or he edited it, i see no spin in that statement. It states very clearly that the sox traded Durham and cash to Oakland for Adkins.

guillen4life13
07-26-2002, 01:54 PM
the fish also got juan encarnacion (i think).

KingXerxes
07-26-2002, 02:23 PM
CLR01 - I misread the post, my mistake.