PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Chris Rongey's Post Game Show?

SoxThunder
07-19-2012, 01:54 PM
What do you think of Chris Rongey's Post Game Show?

amsteel
07-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Sports talk radio is the audio equivalent of reading YouTube comments.

tebman
07-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Sports talk radio is the audio equivalent of reading YouTube comments.

That's often true, but Rongey's a cut above the usual logorrheic sportstalk hosts. I enjoy listening and for me that qualifies him as a good broadcaster.

The callers, on the other hand, are usually the audio equivalent of YouTube comments. You're right about that.

ChiSoxFann
07-19-2012, 04:34 PM
He's allright, but I do hate how, in his eyes, the Sox can do no wrong sometimes. He's waaaaay better than Bryan Dolgin but I still miss Dave Wills.

kevingrt
07-19-2012, 04:37 PM
He's allright, but I do hate how, in his eyes, the Sox can do no wrong sometimes. He's waaaaay better than Bryan Dolgin but I still miss Dave Wills.

God, Willsy was the best. Bring him back and replace DJ. PLEASE WHITE SOX!

Noneck
07-19-2012, 04:46 PM
It seems to me that a show with this type of format has to be hosted by someone that cares about Sox deep and unconditionally. Rongey has never conveyed that passion to me.

slavko
07-19-2012, 05:10 PM
It seems to me that a show with this type of format has to be hosted by someone that cares about Sox deep and unconditionally. Rongey has never conveyed that passion to me.

"

TheVulture
07-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Chris Rongey is one of those people that makes me ask myself why I couldn't be doing that job.

FoulTerritory
07-19-2012, 05:24 PM
I think the quality of his show has degenerated quite a bit. He is often both unprofessional and irrational.

Yes, he has to deal with emotional lunatic callers, but so did Willsy and he never stooped to their level, nor did he immediately dismiss calls that have a reasonable beef with Sox personnel management or in-game management. Sometimes Willsy would even agree with a disgruntled caller.

PatK
07-19-2012, 05:41 PM
I think the quality of his show has degenerated quite a bit. He is often both unprofessional and irrational.

Yes, he has to deal with emotional lunatic callers, but so did Willsy and he never stooped to their level, nor did he immediately dismiss calls that have a reasonable beef with Sox personnel management or in-game management. Sometimes Willsy would even agree with a disgruntled caller.

I agree.

I don't listen that often these days, but it seems like when I do, he's jumping all over a caller that's bringing up a negative, yet valid point.

Dibbs
07-19-2012, 05:48 PM
He's not even "alright". The dude is ridiculous.

Harry Chappas
07-19-2012, 06:01 PM

It also seems like a call-in show should be hosted by someone who doesn't hold every caller that has an opposing view with utter contempt. He's like Dan Bernstein without the sense of humor.

October26
07-19-2012, 06:14 PM
I like Chris Rongey and think he does a great job hosting the Sox pre & post game shows.

WLL1855
07-19-2012, 06:16 PM
I think I'd behave about the same as he does if I had to deal with the same pack of idiots every day. I'd probably expect to get fired for that behavior as well.

Golden Sox
07-19-2012, 06:30 PM
I just don't find him to be that interesting. I've never felt he had any real passion for the White Sox. I was under the impression he grew up a Cardinals fan and thats were his heart is.

SoxThunder
07-19-2012, 07:42 PM
I agree.

I don't listen that often these days, but it seems like when I do, he's jumping all over a caller that's bringing up a negative, yet valid point.

I agree. I think Rongey is paranoid that the Sox (via the Score) will fire him if he makes one negative comment about management or the team. This means that any caller's valid point is immediately dismissed and you have to listen to Rongey's goofy defensive rant...

CoopaLoop
07-19-2012, 07:52 PM
You have to understand the Ranger is paid by the White Sox. There is a reason he doesn't say many controversial things about the team.

kevingrt
07-19-2012, 08:22 PM
You have to understand the Ranger is paid by the White Sox. There is a reason he doesn't say many controversial things about the team.

Isn't he selected by the radio station though?

Boondock Saint
07-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Isn't he selected by the radio station though?

Yes, and the radio station was selected by the Sox. If the Sox get pissed because he's ripping the team, they can decide to go find another radio station when their deal expires.

Mohoney
07-19-2012, 09:40 PM
The sooner he goes away, the better. He's like the annoying little kiss-ass at work that you hope fails his drug test or gets caught stealing something.

Frontman
07-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Ranger is good in my book. Yes, he could be more critical of the White Sox at times; but that's not his job to do. His job is to host the show. He's there to provide information and keep the show moving. The callers do enough anti-Sox commentary.

And there are times I have to give him credit for even though he's "jumping all over" a caller, he at least allowed the moron to make a stupid point before doing so. (Back in 2009 when some moron suggested Thome needed to lay down a bunt every once in a while sticks in my mind how Ranger's has to keep some restraint. I would of called it the way I see it, hung up on the guy, called the guy back just to hang up on him again. Then I would of made sure the guy's number would be on the "never again take a call from this example of human stupidity" list......)

SpartanSoxFan
07-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Wait a sec...
Did my ears deceive me? Did Rongey just question the decision to put Matt Thornton in for the 9th???
The apocalypse must be near.

mahagga73
07-19-2012, 10:46 PM
I think I'd behave about the same as he does if I had to deal with the same pack of idiots every day. I'd probably expect to get fired for that behavior as well.
He IS THE IDIOT.

mahagga73
07-19-2012, 10:54 PM

You know why he acts like that? Because he tries to be a know it all smartarse like his idol Bernstein. If you didn't know better you would think they were the same person. Neither one has ever been wrong about anything and all callers are idiots for questioning their superior sports intellect.

DumpJerry
07-19-2012, 11:03 PM
You have to understand the Ranger is paid by the White Sox.
Nope. He's paid by CBS radio. In fact, the decisions of whom to hire are made in New York by CBS execs. The White Sox get to approve the choice, but they don't make it.

We learned this when Rooney left.

Urban Legend
07-20-2012, 12:14 AM
Rongey appears to have zero insight into what Sox management is thinking... Phil Rogers, and Rosenbloom conjecture much better than Ronger does. And yes, half the callers are idiots...this isn't an NPR show.

CoopaLoop
07-20-2012, 12:15 AM
Nope. He's paid by CBS radio. In fact, the decisions of whom to hire are made in New York by CBS execs. The White Sox get to approve the choice, but they don't make it.

We learned this when Rooney left.

I have talked to a guy who was reprimanded for speaking negatively about the Sox while hosting White Sox weekly.

You just don't do it when the White Sox are in control of the airwaves.

guillensdisciple
07-20-2012, 02:40 AM
I have talked to a guy who was reprimanded for speaking negatively about the Sox while hosting White Sox weekly.

You just don't do it when the White Sox are in control of the airwaves.

Weird, sounds like Cuba to me. Did not know the sox ran things this way.

doublem23
07-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Weird, sounds like Cuba to me. Did not know the sox ran things this way.

Uh, it's pretty much the way every business runs it's PR

guillensdisciple
07-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Uh, it's pretty much the way every business runs it's PR

To quote Stan marsh-

" I thought this was America"

asindc
07-20-2012, 09:07 AM

This. Sometimes I wonder how he puts up with it.

asindc
07-20-2012, 09:08 AM
To quote Stan marsh-

You thought correctly. America is where businesses are free to fire someone for such things.

doublem23
07-20-2012, 09:45 AM
To quote Stan marsh-

Randy Marsh

SI1020
07-20-2012, 09:47 AM
You thought correctly. America is where businesses are free to fire someone for such things. Exactly. The Cubs were able to turn Harry Caray into a harmless house man. Rongey undoubtedly has to walk a very fine line.

Jerko
07-20-2012, 10:22 AM
This. Sometimes I wonder how he puts up with it.

He gets to follow the Sox around and gets paid for it. That's how.

Lip Man 1
07-20-2012, 12:40 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3703

Lip

FreeBuck12
07-20-2012, 12:48 PM
I agree. I think Rongey is paranoid that the Sox (via the Score) will fire him if he makes one negative comment about management or the team. This means that any caller's valid point is immediately dismissed and you have to listen to Rongey's goofy defensive rant...

I always got this impression strictly from listening to him, but then a week or so ago I wrote a piece on my website about other players who have pitched perfect games with only mediocre or so-so careers besides Humber, and I posted the link on my Facebook page.

85% of it was about the history of the perfectos and the players (guys who never really accomplished much outside of the one brilliant game) but the tiny bit I did talk about the White Sox, Rongey just laid into me about via facebook comment.

It was nice to have him reading my work and giving me his opinion, but it was as if I'd wrote an entire article about how awful Humber and Floyd have been this season, when it was really just a fly-by generalizing sentence leading into the actual point I was trying to make.

I would have liked some feedback on the actual body of my article and not just one ending paragraph sentence, but what can ya do? :scratch:

chisox12
07-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Not a fan. Haven't listened to the postgame show in years. Between some of the ridiculous callers and Rongey's inability to say anything negative about the Sox, it is very tough to listen to.

Chez
07-20-2012, 05:06 PM
The thing that bothers me most about him is that he really doesn't know baseball. For example, a few years ago he chastised a caller for suggesting that the Sox should have pinch hit for a pinch hitter after a pitching change because (according to Chris), the rules state that a pinch hitter must bat after he is announced into the game.

I would estimate that 98% of those of us on this board know that isn't the rule and that you can pinch hit for a pinch hitter -- done all the time. Maybe he was confused about the rule that a pitcher entering a game must face at least one batter before replaced, but c'mon -- it's his damn job (and a damn GOOD job) to know the game.

The pre and post game shows are basically unlistenable.

fram40
07-20-2012, 05:25 PM
what bothers me the most about both the pre-game and post-game sshows are the commericials. good god, it seems like 50% of the shows are commercials.

Over all - Ranger does a decent job in a tough role. imho

sox1970
07-20-2012, 05:40 PM
what bothers me the most about both the pre-game and post-game sshows are the commericials. good god, it seems like 50% of the shows are commercials.

Over all - Ranger does a decent job in a tough role. imho

Agreed on the commercials. Fisher nuts, those stupid quiz questions...keep it.

Golden Sox
07-26-2012, 11:16 AM
I wouldn't think he would be very critical of the White Sox. I'm sure he 's aware of how the bad guys on the Northside didn't bring back Chip Caray and Steve Stone after the 2004 season. Both of those guys pointed out how the Cubs didn't play well enough to get into the 2004 playoffs and both of them were not brought back after that. Before that the Cubs turned Harry Caray into a houseman something he never was when he worked for the White Sox.

SoxandtheCityTee
07-26-2012, 04:47 PM

Wow, Bryan Dolgin. Haven't thought about him in ages. I think he does the Rangers pre and post on Dallas radio these days, a job formerly held by a really bad blast from the AM 1000 past, Mike Ogulnick.

Rongey's always been nice in person when I've seen him at appearances. I can't stand listening to most callers so I miss the post-game show a lot. I wish sports talk radio would accept the concept of having the on-air staff do all or nearly all of the talking -- maybe respond to texts and emails, as they do on TV, but stop giving away so much airtime to the Unlistenables.

Standing Ovation
07-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Why does anyone even listen to a post game show? I kinda sorta understand football postgames, but who the hell wants to listen to it 162 times a year?

FielderJones
07-26-2012, 10:16 PM
I wish sports talk radio would accept the concept of having the on-air staff do all or nearly all of the talking -- maybe respond to texts and emails, as they do on TV, but stop giving away so much airtime to the Unlistenables.

It's the rare fan indeed that has anything worthwhile to add to a radio call-in show. Most of them are unlistenable, as you say.

Frater Perdurabo
07-26-2012, 10:32 PM
It's the rare fan indeed that has anything worthwhile to add to a radio call-in show. Most of them are unlistenable, as you say.

"Baseball is a talking sport," as one of the local DFW-area sports talk shows says (and the hosts generally do a good job with baseball, during the rare occasions when they actually discuss it).

There is endless opportunity to dissect baseball's many managerial moves, pitches, at-bats, swings, fielding plays and defensive positioning.

Sometimes callers are fools. Sometimes they are drunks. Sometimes they are drunk fools. But sometimes they are reasonable and intelligent with good points to make. However, when the host works for the radio home of the team, the host is limited in his/her ability to agree with cogent criticism of the team. Consequently, it becomes too easy to dismiss all criticism as if it comes only from drunken fools.

Johnny Mostil
07-27-2012, 08:57 AM
not a fan. Haven't listened to the postgame show in years. Between some of the ridiculous callers and rongey's inability to say anything negative about the sox, it is very tough to listen to.

+1

Domeshot17
07-27-2012, 10:24 AM
"Baseball is a talking sport," as one of the local DFW-area sports talk shows says (and the hosts generally do a good job with baseball, during the rare occasions when they actually discuss it).

There is endless opportunity to dissect baseball's many managerial moves, pitches, at-bats, swings, fielding plays and defensive positioning.

Sometimes callers are fools. Sometimes they are drunks. Sometimes they are drunk fools. But sometimes they are reasonable and intelligent with good points to make. However, when the host works for the radio home of the team, the host is limited in his/her ability to agree with cogent criticism of the team. Consequently, it becomes too easy to dismiss all criticism as if it comes only from drunken fools.

I think the same idea has to be remembered in terms of Rongey. The guy sees a lot of baseball, but he was hired based on the tone of his voice, not the words that come out.

BainesHOF
07-28-2012, 01:20 AM
The thing that bothers me most about him is that he really doesn't know baseball.

Bingo.

What made Wills good is that he knew baseball. If memory serves me correctly, he even served as a college pitching coach. He never said stupid stuff.

Unfortunately, Rongey doesn't really know the game. He's learned some on the job, but he remains lacking. It wouldn't even be bad if he just performed the basic duties of a postgame host, i.e. wrap-up the game, give scores, let fans voice their opinions and give away some pizzas. Instead, he tries to prove he knows the game by talking too much about it and gets WAY over his skiis. It's insulting to listen to some of his gibberish. The Bernstein Jr. act is lame, too. I seldom listen to the postgame show anymore, though I'd like to. When I do now, it's purely for comedic value.

It's a shame a team in a major market isn't served better.

Nellie_Fox
07-28-2012, 01:47 AM
Okay, it's now time to tone it down. Ranger is a registered user on this board. You're making it personal now.

Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean they "don't know baseball," unless of course you are absolutely convinced of your superior knowledge, in which case it's probably time to tone your ego down.

soxnut1018
07-28-2012, 01:58 AM
I've always really liked Rongey, but the callers make the show near unlistenable at times.

Rohan
07-28-2012, 02:32 AM
I have always really enjoyed Rongey's show. I have heard him say negative things about play before so I think all of this silliness about him being nothing but positive is far from true.

Honestly, I prefer him to pretty much every other post game radio show i've ever listened to.

Medford Bobby
07-28-2012, 09:38 AM
I get to hear SOME of the post game on home games on XM radio. (XM now cuts out right in the middle of his post game show)

Ranger does does a great show, and like I say I enjoy the calls untill XM pull the plug on the feed....:angry:

Wedema
07-28-2012, 09:34 PM
I haven't listened in years as I think the show has dropped in quality big time since Dave Wills left for Tampa.

harwar
07-29-2012, 10:09 AM
i'm not sure that you can compare Willsy to Chris Rongey .. anyway Dave now has a new legion of drillrods to drink miller lite's with .. i think Rongey does a competent job

SoxFanCPA
08-22-2012, 10:47 PM
Rongey is arguing with fans on Twitter about ticket pricing and it seriously sounds like he works on commission.