PDA

View Full Version : How Much Fun Are You Having?

MARTINMVP
07-19-2012, 11:49 AM
It is so freakin' awesome to go about my day looking forward to the night's Sox game. Who knows where the team will be come September and beyond, but for right now, I'm having a blast with this.

Felt like I had to get this off my chest. :cool:

I'm more of a casual fan, so I can only imagine how much more fun this could be for the everyday lifer. Just from a fun aspect, how does this compared to July 2005, or any of your other favorite summer seasons with the Sox?

bunkaroo
07-19-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm having fun and I love that I haven't seen a loss yet at the park (knocking on multiple pieces of wood).

That said, I'm sure many of us are going to be a little more tense now that we're in the 2nd half where the Sox have traditionally not fared well in recent times. But I have hope that if any team can buck that trend, it's one managed by Robin. This DET series is going to be a great test. If we come out of that series 2-1 or 3-0 with DET playing well right now, I will feel pretty good about our chances.

Noneck
07-19-2012, 12:04 PM
The Sox in the hunt make summers very enjoyable.

doublem23
07-19-2012, 12:14 PM
After the last few years, it is very refreshing to still be giving a **** about baseball in late July. Also nice to see that Robin Ventura, who many thought was just an empty suit hired to take the heat off the Sox, actually knows what the hell he's doing. I'm excited about this year and the immediate future

MarySwiss
07-19-2012, 12:27 PM
It is so freakin' awesome to go about my day looking forward to the night's Sox game. Who knows where the team will be come September and beyond, but for right now, I'm having a blast with this.

Felt like I had to get this off my chest. :cool:

I'm more of a casual fan, so I can only imagine how much more fun this could be for the everyday lifer. Just from a fun aspect, how does this compared to July 2005, or any of your other favorite summer seasons with the Sox?

2005 was a blast until Cleveland started causing trouble toward the end. That got a bit nerve-wracking. As for this year, so far, so good. We'll see how it ends up! :D:

ChiSoxGal85
07-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Loving how this team plays and I'm enjoying this season very much. Stinkers like last night's 10-1 loss to Boston are much easier to take when they are surrounded by more wins than losses. I'm having a gas...DNSB!!! :bandance:

MARTINMVP
07-19-2012, 12:31 PM
2005 was a blast until Cleveland started causing trouble toward the end. That got a bit nerve-wracking. As for this year, so far, so good. We'll see how it ends up! :D:

So true. I wasn't even on-board as an official Sox fan at the time, and I remember that being a nail biter.

Another observation - early on, it seemed like Hawk and Stone were getting along better. I get the sense the two of them are also having more fun in the booth this year, as opposed to last. It makes for a better television broadcast.

GoGoCrede
07-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Loving it very much, though I'd enjoy it more if I could see more games on a weekly basis. Oh well, there's always highlight videos.

sox1970
07-19-2012, 12:49 PM
I'd be having more fun watching the Sox if they averaged more than 4 runs over the last 10 games, and if we knew Danks was coming back to give 10-12 good starts.

Pace yourself. The season really starts on August 31.

DSpivack
07-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Loving it very much, though I'd enjoy it more if I could see more games on a weekly basis. Oh well, there's always highlight videos.

While I do watch most games, I have only been to one game this season. I wish I could get to more.

After the last few years, it is very refreshing to still be giving a **** about baseball in late July. Also nice to see that Robin Ventura, who many thought was just an empty suit hired to take the heat off the Sox, actually knows what the hell he's doing. I'm excited about this year and the immediate future

I agree.

Moses_Scurry
07-19-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm loving it, but man am I nervous! A nice 8 or 9 game win streak starting tonight would help tremendously.

GoGoCrede
07-19-2012, 01:55 PM
While I do watch most games, I have only been to one game this season. I wish I could get to more.

Agreed. I'm trying to save every penny, but I really should be on the lookout for some good deals. Those tickets back in June were a steal.

TomBradley72
07-19-2012, 02:51 PM
I love this team- they very rarely frustrate me or piss me off- and every day my respect for their manager increases and the contrast vs. his predecessor grows.

I'm not sure if they can survive the injuries to the pitching staff that is leading to so many rookies, etc.- but IF they fade- it won't be because they choked or didn't play the game the right way- it will be a great group of guys who ran out of gas- so I'm enjoying it while it lasts and very hopeful they will be playing October baseball.

kufram
07-19-2012, 03:00 PM
This team has surprising resilience and anyone writing them off might miss something very good. I was in heaven from April until September 2005, but then I was on edge for several weeks because I didn't think it was possible for the Chicago White Sox to win the World Series. Every game was nail-biting ecstacy really.

This team is closest since to that group as far as character goes. It's all about getting on a roll at the right time now.

LITTLE NELL
07-19-2012, 03:15 PM
I think we would be having a lot more fun if we had not lost Danks, Humber, Floyd and Crain to all this time on the DL.

DonnieDarko
07-19-2012, 03:35 PM
I think we would be having a lot more fun if we had not lost Danks, Humber, Floyd and Crain to all this time on the DL. We might have had a 6 or 7 game lead right now.

This, pretty much.

That's not to say that I'm not having fun. I just feel that I could be having more. Oh well, let's just make it to the playoffs. That's all that I really care about. Considering how low the bar was set for this team (by both myself and the media), I'll take a playoff appearance as a successful season.

kufram
07-19-2012, 04:02 PM
I think we would be having a lot more fun if we had not lost Danks, Humber, Floyd and Crain to all this time on the DL.

But none of those pitchers were doing very well before injury were they?

Noneck
07-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Anyone not having fun, lets all remember that the Sox have only been in 1st place 10 times on July 19 since 1959.

Zisk77
07-19-2012, 04:44 PM
...so much fun that i can't feel my face.:gulp:

LITTLE NELL
07-19-2012, 04:54 PM

I thought about that but I wonder if they were holding back on their injuries and hoping they were just nagging little injuries that would go away.
As a golfer who plays 5 times a week and over 200 rounds a year I am fighting something just about all the time, nothing major and they go away after a week whether its the back, knee or shoulder. (I did have a knee problem in the winter and had to have a series of 5 Synvics injections but never missed a round.)

BigKlu59
07-19-2012, 05:09 PM
I thought about that but I wonder if they were holding back on their injuries and hoping they were just nagging little injuries that would go away.
As a golfer who plays 5 times a week and over 200 rounds a year I am fighting something just about all the time, nothing major and they go away after a week whether its the back, knee or shoulder. (I did have a knee problem in the winter and had to have a series of 5 Synvics injections but never missed a round.)

Damn Lil Nell you are a gamer.. Watch those knee joints. They are what ends up taking down a stallion way before his time before any plumbing issues.. Might want to invest in your own physical therapist/massuse to keep that war torn special issue of bones in top PT shape...

BK59

soxinem1
07-19-2012, 05:12 PM
The Sox in the hunt make summers very enjoyable.

That about sums it up, especially when the team overall is fun to watch play, unlike the sleepwalking we saw the last 3+ seasons.

hawkjt
07-19-2012, 05:12 PM
I am enjoying the daily tension of being in the hunt. This team plays smart baseball which is good to watch.
The injuries are sapping some of the hope tho.
But, I keep reminding myself that when we get Crain,Floyd and Danks back we will have 7 guys(Sale,Peavy,Quintana,Axelrod,Humber,Floyd and Danks) who have started and won games for us this year,all who should be available. That is probably a deeper rotation than anyone else in the AL.

Bullpen is young but if Crain is back strong, then it should be good enough,with maybe Q and Axe in there also.

I loved when this team was hitting like crazy ,and do enjoy it more when we are scoring more than 1 or 2 runs a game....time to go,Sox.

The Tigers are red-hot,so this weekend is huge.

TheVulture
07-19-2012, 05:19 PM

I'd think a 2.38 ERA while only allowing 3 of 10 inherited runners to score would be considered fairly solid.

LITTLE NELL
07-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Damn Lil Nell you are a gamer.. Watch those knee joints. They are what ends up taking down a stallion way before his time before any plumbing issues.. Might want to invest in your own physical therapist/massuse to keep that war torn special issue of bones in top PT shape...

BK59

No bone on bone yet so no knee replacements in the near future.

PatK
07-19-2012, 05:42 PM

My god, there were a couple of days where I thought my heart was going to explode out of my chest from the nerves.

MarySwiss
07-19-2012, 05:48 PM
No bone on bone yet so no knee replacements in the near future.
Nell, if it'll make you feel any better, my left knee has been bone on bone for several years, but the right one is the one that gives me the most problems. My ortho guy told me awhile back that I might be a candidate for knee replacement in a year or in ten years. (How's that for a definite maybe?) :D:

October26
07-19-2012, 06:01 PM
This team has surprising resilience and anyone writing them off might miss something very good. I was in heaven from April until September 2005, but then I was on edge for several weeks because I didn't think it was possible for the Chicago White Sox to win the World Series. Every game was nail-biting ecstacy really.

This team is closest since to that group as far as character goes. It's all about getting on a roll at the right time now.

Very well stated and I could not agree more.

I am enjoying this season very much and hope that Robin can lead the Sox into the playoffs this October. I am so proud of Robin for the oustanding job he has done in his first year as White Sox Manager.

LITTLE NELL
07-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Nell, if it'll make you feel any better, my left knee has been bone on bone for several years, but the right one is the one that gives me the most problems. My ortho guy told me awhile back that I might be a candidate for knee replacement in a year or in ten years. (How's that for a definite maybe?) :D:

Thats quite a gap, are you in much pain with the bone on bone?

MarySwiss
07-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Thats quite a gap, are you in much pain with the bone on bone?
The bone on bone doesn't bother me at all. I tore that meniscus about 20 years ago, and it's worn down ever since. The right knee meniscus that I tore about a year ago--in my sleep if you can believe it!--causes me more trouble. But they are both manageable so far.

Edit: I'm 60 years old. I played competitive volleyball and tap danced up until about three years ago despite the bone on bone.

seventyseven
07-20-2012, 04:30 PM
well, i've actually started watching parts of a few games on TV again...

i think i watched a grand total of 25 innings last season