PDA

View Full Version : A Past Trade


LongDistanceFan
07-26-2002, 06:02 AM
I forgot the yr, but it involves either the Fl or Mont. a trade was done. it was an obvious salary dump, but the league did not approve the trade. i think the league revised it or force the other team to come up with some other player to pay. so maybe the league will do the same with this one.

davers brought up a interesting comment, if we didn't trade him and management wanted him to walk, he could have forced us into arbitration? i would like to know more about this.

furthermore, maybe this arbitration would not be in the new CBA, just like the possibility of the compensation. still i would've kept him, i know it was all about the cash, but this is ridiculous.

i keep wanting to say it was mont and bos- pedro martinez, but i may very well be wrong here.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-26-2002, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
I forgot the yr, but it involves either the Fl or Mont. a trade was done. it was an obvious salary dump, but the league did not approve the trade. i think the league revised it or force the other team to come up with some other player to pay. so maybe the league will do the same with this one.

davers brought up a interesting comment, if we didn't trade him and management wanted him to walk, he could have forced us into arbitration? i would like to know more about this.

furthermore, maybe this arbitration would not be in the new CBA, just like the possibility of the compensation. still i would've kept him, i know it was all about the cash, but this is ridiculous.

i keep wanting to say it was mont and bos- pedro martinez, but i may very well be wrong here.

I don't understand why making Durham a token offer would be a bad thing. If Ray skates, we get compensation picks. We're miles ahead for the effort.

I'm not sure about this arbitration bit, but even if it did come to past, so what? Ray can only get what an arbitrator rules is most fair and it can only be for one year's salary. More than that, we have NOBODY better than Ray to bat #2 and play second base.

We're going BACKWARDS by trading him--especially for some AAA roster filler. The idea we're also paying a chunk of Ray's remaining salary just adds insult to injury.

This team is going BACKWARDS, and playing the kids is no cure for the cancer. We went down this path back in 1997, remember? It has led us precisely back to the same spot we're at today. It's a sham. It's an excuse. It isn't going to work.

That's why I say, screw playing the kids, and....

SELL JERRY SELL!

soxtalker
07-26-2002, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


I don't understand why making Durham a token offer would be a bad thing. If Ray skates, we get compensation picks. We're miles ahead for the effort.


I've heard several reports that indicate that compensation picks are likely to disappear. They give the union some say in the draft process, and a world-wide draft is one of the key issues on MLB's plate. Just another bit of uncertainty impacting trades this season...

PaleHoseGeorge
07-26-2002, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker


I've heard several reports that indicate that compensation picks are likely to disappear. They give the union some say in the draft process, and a world-wide draft is one of the key issues on MLB's plate. Just another bit of uncertainty impacting trades this season...

If you can't provide a link to a definitive source on this theory, I strongly urge you to stop repeating it.

We're not in the business of helping propagate rumors.

LongDistanceFan
07-26-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


If you can't provide a link to a definitive source on this theory, I strongly urge you to stop repeating it.

We're not in the business of helping propagate rumors.

hey phg even if its true, i say so what, i like your idea of the arbitration. its only one yr and we still can get another yr of svc and/or wait for a better time with better chance of getting something better. if not, then let him walk. oak needed a 2b now and no-one is going to tell me that kw didn't or couldn't play hardball this time. as we both have said, what is rumored about compensation should not affect on how one does trading. kw should learn how to play hardball in trading instead of getting reamed.

in the cbs rumor section, la, oak, atl, were all looking for improvement at 2b. met are looking to move edgardo alfonzo who is still a great 2b, evn tho he is playing 3b.

this has JR hands prints on this, but kw is still over his head in trading.

Dadawg_77
07-26-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


If you can't provide a link to a definitive source on this theory, I strongly urge you to stop repeating it.

We're not in the business of helping propagate rumors.

It is a rumor. The talk is the current FA losing compensation system will go away. So no extras draft picks for teams that lose FAs.

In the current system, the Sox would of had to offer Ray arbitration in order to get the comp pick. Ray could accept or refuse arbitration thus the Sox could be stuck paying him next year, if he accepted arbitration. I think Barry Bonds accepted arbitration this year from SF this year, not sure if they worked out a deal before the case was heard. The reason the Sox couldn't have Jose C. on the team before May 1?, was the Sox didn't offer him arbitration, thus were prevented from singing Jose to a major league contract till that date. Maybe because of last years buyers market, which cause a couple of players to take arbitration route instead of the free market, teams are afraid to be stuck in arbitration with thier FA. Most likley Ray would of pulled in 7 million to 10 million dollars based on comparable salaries. So teams afraid of that cost, don't want to offer arbitration thus they wouldn't even get any comp picks. So you trade the guy now for peanuts to walk away with somthing without any real risk.

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Ray could accept or refuse arbitration thus the Sox could be stuck paying him next year, if he accepted arbitration.

Exactly. They don't want to pay him that's why he was moved.

First class organization though.