PDA

View Full Version : Is this the worst player in professional baseball history?

doublem23
07-18-2012, 08:25 AM
Say hello to Shaq Green-Thompson, an 18th round pick of the Red Sox who is currently playing for the Gulf Coast League Red Sox. He has played in 11 games. He has 32 at bats. He has 31 strikeouts. You're reading that correctly. He doesn't have a hit yet, and has drawn 7 walks for a remarkable .000/.179/.000 line.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=green-002sha

Luckily for the young man, his future is probably football, as he was the #1 high school safety and will be attending Washington this fall.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Shaq-Thompson-113768

Railsplitter
07-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Say hello to Shaq Green-Thompson, an 18th round pick of the Red Sox who is currently playing for the Gulf Coast League Red Sox. He has played in 11 games. He has 32 at bats. He has 31 strikeouts. You're reading that correctly. He doesn't have a hit yet, and has drawn 7 walks for a remarkable .000/.179/.000 line.

Luckily for the young man, his future is probably football, as he was the #1 high school safety and will be attending Washington this fall.

One of those walks was with the bases loaded. :redneck

RKMeibalane
07-18-2012, 10:22 AM
I just think it's funny that his name is Shaq.

WhiteSox5187
07-18-2012, 12:15 PM
I suspect the only guy to come close would be Oney Guillen.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=guille001one

I am not a very good baseball player by any stretch of the imagination but I would like to think that I am better than this Shaq guy and I would like to believe I am better than Oney was.

BigKlu59
07-18-2012, 12:21 PM
Hell, and to think I gave up on being a Boy of Summer... Hell, for a few hot dogs and bus rides I could have swallowed my pride and been a statistical anomaly...

BK59

SephClone89
07-18-2012, 12:23 PM
I am not a very good baseball player by any stretch of the imagination but I would like to think that I am better than this Shaq guy and I would like to believe I am better than Oney was.

Probably not.

WhiteSox5187
07-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Probably not.

Probably not no, but I AM short which I would make me have a smaller strike zone which would make striking out 31 consecutive times slightly harder for me than Shaq (who also appears to be standing straight up).

I was actually wondering earlier if I (or any non-professional baseball player) were given 100 ABs in Rookie Ball how many hits would they get. I THINK I could maybe get five little flares that would drop in. There was a discussion awhile ago that asked if you were given 600 ABs at the major league level how many hits would you get, it seems to me that the law of averages would dictate that there would be something like 10 hits.

white sox bill
07-18-2012, 01:27 PM
:KW"OK we'll give you Sale AND Tank for him"

NardiWasHere
07-18-2012, 01:28 PM
I just think it's funny that his name is Shaq.

yes

WisSoxFan
07-18-2012, 01:35 PM
I suspect the only guy to come close would be Oney Guillen.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=guille001one

Oney his .333 in triple A.

RKMeibalane
07-18-2012, 01:38 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how he got there, though the answer likely has to do with his father being the White Sox manager at the time.

doublem23
07-18-2012, 01:39 PM

In 1 game

DumpJerry
07-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Well, he was drafted by the same guy who hired Valentine and traded Youkilis for a bag of balls.

RKMeibalane
07-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Well, he was drafted by the same guy who hired Valentine and traded Youkilis for a bag of balls.

As long as they don't promote him, it doesn't matter. The minor leagues are filled with people like this.

WisSoxFan
07-18-2012, 02:36 PM
In 1 game

That was a joke...

thehawkeroo
07-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Oney's mouth was bigger than his bat.

RKMeibalane
07-18-2012, 03:38 PM
Oney's mouth was bigger than his bat.

But not as big as the hole in his swing.

doublem23
07-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Yesterday's Game:

0-5, 5 K, 1 BB

Season-to-date

0-37, 36 K, 8 BB, .000/.178/.000

DeadMoney
07-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Yesterday's Game:

0-5, 5 K, 1 BB

Season-to-date

0-37, 36 K, 8 BB, .000/.178/.000

Do we have any idea what his one non-K was? I would just guess that, based on his inability to hit a baseball, he probably didn't hit it past the pitcher.

And I don't care... I'm fairly certain most who played baseball through HS could do no worse if given 37 ABs rookie ball.

doublem23
07-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Do we have any idea what his one non-K was? I would just guess that, based on his inability to hit a baseball, he probably didn't hit it past the pitcher.

And I don't care... I'm fairly certain most who played baseball through HS could do no worse if given 37 ABs rookie ball.

Ground out to 1st base.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&gid=2012_07_06_twirok_rsxrok_1&cid=471&t=g_log

russ99
07-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Usually kids who are used to aluminum bats struggle when they hit the minors.

Pretty likely he's in the minors due to his athletic ability more than his prowess with the bat, so it's amplified.

wilburaga
07-19-2012, 02:55 PM
One of the most wretched major league stat lines was turned in by our old friend Scott Ruffcorn.

He completed his pitching career with an 0-8 record (8.57 ERA), went 0-6 at the plate (1 walk), and retired with a fielding percentage of .714, having made 3 errors before recording his first assist or putout.

DeadMoney
07-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Usually kids who are used to aluminum bats struggle when they hit the minors.

Pretty likely he's in the minors due to his athletic ability more than his prowess with the bat, so it's amplified.

Well I understand the premise, especially with a highly touted football recruit who probably didn't have time to play in wood bat leagues/tournaments, but has he lost all hand/eye coordination as well? I mean, contacting a baseball doesn't change from metal to wood bats.

I'm sure he's there because of his athletic ability, but an 18th round pick seems pretty high for a guy who's going to play football (and apparently can't hit a baseball). I wonder if his high school baseball stats are out there anywhere.

Huisj
07-19-2012, 03:59 PM
This article (I know, it's BP, but oh well, it's a well written article) tells a little more about him and the situation. Fairly interesting.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=17599

Oblong
07-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Probably not no, but I AM short which I would make me have a smaller strike zone which would make striking out 31 consecutive times slightly harder for me than Shaq (who also appears to be standing straight up).

I was actually wondering earlier if I (or any non-professional baseball player) were given 100 ABs in Rookie Ball how many hits would they get. I THINK I could maybe get five little flares that would drop in. There was a discussion awhile ago that asked if you were given 600 ABs at the major league level how many hits would you get, it seems to me that the law of averages would dictate that there would be something like 10 hits.

Doubt it. The talent level is exponential as you move up the ranks, even within HS ball between smaller and larger schools. An average guy on an average HS baseball team would not even make contact in rookie ball. Remember, even the worst guys in rookie ball were probably among the best HS players of all time at their respective school. Look at how much trouble Michael Jordan had the beginning in AA ball, he was a professional athlete who went through spring training before playing. Granted, that's not rookie ball but I think the comparison is valid to make the point.

I guess it would depend on whehter we're talking about a good HS player or just a guy off the street. You have to be an elite baseball player just to get looked at and placed in a rookie league.

For law of averages I think you are looking at getting 1 or 2 at most, just pure luck.

russ99
07-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Well I understand the premise, especially with a highly touted football recruit who probably didn't have time to play in wood bat leagues/tournaments, but has he lost all hand/eye coordination as well? I mean, contacting a baseball doesn't change from metal to wood bats.

I'm sure he's there because of his athletic ability, but an 18th round pick seems pretty high for a guy who's going to play football (and apparently can't hit a baseball). I wonder if his high school baseball stats are out there anywhere.

Aluminum bats give better bat speed and a more consistent and larger sweet spot. Could make a flawed hitter look halfway decent, numbers-wise.

Interesting article. Looks like he struck out a decent amount in HS too. Tools (speed and arm especially) and makeup are why he was drafted so high.

DumpJerry
07-19-2012, 10:25 PM
After tonight's game, I'm nominating Matt Thornton for the title.:angry:

Deadguy
07-20-2012, 10:39 PM

I've read that he comes from a very low-income area, which may be why he signed a professional contract. I hope that is not the only reason he did this and I hope he signed because he loves the game, but he's suffering some embarrassment right now because of it. What he's going through right now can't be fun.

I have to wonder why the Red Sox drafted him and signed him? It's not like he's Anthony Alford or Jameis Winston, who were also very highly regarded baseball players on the national scene, in addition to being highly regarded football players. Shaq didn't even play for a couple of years before hitting just .306 this Spring for his high school club. He's a project of the extreme nature and the difference between facing high school pitching and professional pitching is huge. Even kids who have devoted their entire lives to the sport struggle with the transition.

I also have to wonder why they didn't just leave him in the instructional league instead of throwing him out to the wolves like this. If he's going to have any kind of future in baseball, it would have been far better to acclimate him to the game in a way that doesn't leave frustrated with the game. Granted, he's probably not playing in front of more than a couple hundred people, but I've already read a couple of nationally publicized articles about his struggles. I hope he's either ignoring those articles or is oblivious to them.

He would have been better off walking on with Washington's college team if he wanted to give baseball a go, but I also have to wonder if this was just about the money. In the end, it could be a character building experience for him and can help him deal with failure in a mature way.

sullythered
07-21-2012, 09:29 AM
Doubt it. The talent level is exponential as you move up the ranks, even within HS ball between smaller and larger schools. An average guy on an average HS baseball team would not even make contact in rookie ball. Remember, even the worst guys in rookie ball were probably among the best HS players of all time at their respective school. Look at how much trouble Michael Jordan had the beginning in AA ball, he was a professional athlete who went through spring training before playing. Granted, that's not rookie ball but I think the comparison is valid to make the point.

I guess it would depend on whehter we're talking about a good HS player or just a guy off the street. You have to be an elite baseball player just to get looked at and placed in a rookie league.

For law of averages I think you are looking at getting 1 or 2 at most, just pure luck.
When you put it that way, it's pretty darned impressive how well Jordan did.

RKMeibalane
07-21-2012, 09:47 AM

Agreed. I thought his hitting .202 at Birmingham after not playing baseball for years was remarkable. Had the strike not happened, I wonder how his baseball career would have ultimately turned out.

Oblong
07-21-2012, 10:24 AM

He had the strength and conditioning of a professional athlete in his prime, not an 18 year old kid still growing, plus the terrific hand eye coordination required of an NBA player, let alone probably the greatest of all time, and the determination. Don't underestimate the determination.

How was Jordan as a HS baseball player? I would bet he was pretty good.

A friend went to a fantasy baseball practice at Comerica Park. He was in his early 30's at the time. A good player in HS but still only good enough to play in a division 3 school as a walk on. Dave Rozema, mid 50's, was pitching BP and obviously laying them in there to boost the egos, I'm sure nothing more than high 60s or low 70s. My friend was hitting him pretty good. Rozema says "Ok, watch this...' and proceeds to throw a breaking ball that fooled him. Just as a reminder. So we're talking about a former decent pitcher who's career ended early in his mid 50's schooling a good HS player 20 years younger.

doublem23
07-23-2012, 12:54 PM
And like that, Thompson's baseball career appears to be over, as he's left the GCL Red Sox to head to Washington to prepare for the Huskies' upcoming football season.

13 games, 0-39, 37 K

Wow.

http://deadspin.com/5928281?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow