PDA

View Full Version : Some Encouraging News

Lip Man 1
07-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Gonzo spoke to Robin before the game, assuming the info getting to Robin is accurate he said the following:

* Crane is on course. Threw Tuesday, will throw again Thursday. Robin said they might not send him out for a rehab assignment because he needs him with the big club and thinks he can get whatever work he needs to do in before game time. Could be ready for Minnesota.

* Floyd could come off the DL Monday. Said he "checked out fine." That the move to the DL was done to "make him as comfortable as possible." (Suggests to me the issue is more mental concerns then physical which I've heard from some other sources.) Robin said (fingers crossed) the Sox could have the staff as healthy as they've been in a long time by next week. (Danks of course will not be ready...)

* Said Konerko is just going through a slump. His swing looks fine that he's just missing some pitches. Didn't suggest anything about his wrist being a problem.

So the news is encouraging. Hopefully the Sox will still be in first place when all these guys start coming back.

We'll see. Just don't get swept in Boston.

Lip

GABP
07-17-2012, 06:53 PM
* Crane

Really?

russ99
07-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Really?

No kidding. Sounds pretty crazy, but it looks like we're running out of rookies we can throw at the pen, so I hope they don't overwork Crain out of the blocks and land him back on the DL when we need him.

SephClone89
07-17-2012, 07:06 PM
* Crane is on course. Threw Tuesday, will throw again Thursday. Robin said they might not send him out for a rehab assignment because he needs him with the big club and thinks he can get whatever work he needs to do in before game time. Could be ready for Minnesota.

Really?

http://thegazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Kelsey-Grammer-as-Frasier-Crane-6422440.jpg

?

TheOldRoman
07-17-2012, 08:18 PM
It's good to hear Konerko's wrist isn't injured again, if in fact that is true. There were a handful of times I notice Paul grimace after hitting the ball.

all*star quentin
07-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Steve Stone during the game, said 1 rehab start for Crain.

Mingo
07-17-2012, 09:23 PM
I believe the Sox are the only Major League team not swept in a series this year.

ChiTownTrojan
07-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Steve Stone during the game, said 1 rehab start for Crain.

That's odd that they would ask a reliever to start a game.

Frater Perdurabo
07-17-2012, 09:25 PM
That's odd that they would ask a reliever to start a game.

It's not uncommon for a player on a rehab stint to get "priority." By starting him, they ensure Crain gets into the game in a "clean" inning.

Lip Man 1
07-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Gonzo apparently disagrees with Stone at least to the extent that a rehab start isn't mentioned in this story:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0718-bits-white-sox-red-sox-chicago--20120718,0,6056163.story

Also quotes Floyd with more positive news.

Oh sorry about the misspelling of Crain. **** happens.

Lip

thomas35forever
07-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Must have been right about Paulie after tonight's performance.

Tragg
07-18-2012, 01:00 AM
I see we're calling up another rookie to start on Wednesday.
We have a full staff, don't we: Peavy, Sale, Quintana, Axe and Humber. Quintana could pitch tomorrow with this 4 days of rest.

jcw218
07-18-2012, 01:34 AM
I see we're calling up another rookie to start on Wednesday.
We have a full staff, don't we: Peavy, Sale, Quintana, Axe and Humber. Quintana could pitch tomorrow with this 4 days of rest.

Yes, Quintina would go on normal rest on on Wed, but the Sox want Sale and Peavy to go against Detroit over the weekend so that would leave a spot starter for Thursday as Axelrod pitched on Monday and Humber pitched Tuesday.

Chez
07-18-2012, 08:07 AM
Must have been right about Paulie after tonight's performance.

Paulie's two hits may have been line drives in the box score, but really just flairs over first base. I'd like to see him start driving the ball -- tattoo the Green Monster with some shots.

slavko
07-18-2012, 08:25 AM
Paulie's two hits may have been line drives in the box score, but really just flairs over first base. I'd like to see him start driving the ball -- tattoo the Green Monster with some shots.

That's what I saw. Those swings weren't PK swings. More like slaps. The wrist until proven otherwise.

The Immigrant
07-18-2012, 09:28 AM

I was encouraged by his approach in taking those pitches to right field. That's usually a sign that he's close to turning things around.

Getting Paulie out of a slump is like pulling a U-turn in a cargo ship.

salty99
07-18-2012, 09:45 AM
I am disappointed in this story. I was highly looking forward to a report on the health of Brian Bruney.

soxinem1
07-18-2012, 09:53 AM
I am disappointed in this story. I was highly looking forward to a report on the health of Brian Bruney.

Or the return of Brent Lillibridge....

Hitmen77
07-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Gonzo spoke to Robin before the game, assuming the info getting to Robin is accurate he said the following:

* Floyd could come off the DL Monday. Said he "checked out fine." That the move to the DL was done to "make him as comfortable as possible." (Suggests to me the issue is more mental concerns then physical which I've heard from some other sources.) Robin said (fingers crossed) the Sox could have the staff as healthy as they've been in a long time by next week. (Danks of course will not be ready...)

* Said Konerko is just going through a slump. His swing looks fine that he's just missing some pitches. Didn't suggest anything about his wrist being a problem.

So the news is encouraging. Hopefully the Sox will still be in first place when all these guys start coming back.

We'll see. Just don't get swept in Boston.

Lip

If Floyd comes back on Monday (and assuming no other injuries to our starters:mad:), does Axelrod get sent down to AAA to continue working as a starter? Or does he move over to the Sox bullpen?

hawkjt
07-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Yes, Quintina would go on normal rest on on Wed, but the Sox want Sale and Peavy to go against Detroit over the weekend so that would leave a spot starter for Thursday as Axelrod pitched on Monday and Humber pitched Tuesday.

I like this move. Leyland always rigged his rotation to have Verlander start vs the Sox last year,and it worked.
I like having Sale backup Peavy vs Verlander on Friday. We have a shot vs Verlander with Jake,but if Verlander shuts us down,we still have a good shot on Saturday with Sale,to avert a disasterous sweep.

Chez
07-18-2012, 10:47 AM
If Floyd comes back on Monday (and assuming no other injuries to our starters:mad:), does Axelrod get sent down to AAA to continue working as a starter? Or does he move over to the Sox bullpen?

I think Robin and Coop would trust Axelrod pitching the 6th or 7th inning over Omogrosso, Marinez and maybe even Septimo. Assuming Floyd and Crain are activated for Monday, then I see Martinez and Marinez going down and Axelrod to the bullpen. The Sox may even send Martinez down after tonight's start and bring up another fresh arm for the Detroit series.

doublem23
07-18-2012, 11:15 AM
I think Robin and Coop would trust Axelrod pitching the 6th or 7th inning over Omogrosso, Marinez and maybe even Septimo. Assuming Floyd and Crain are activated for Monday, then I see Martinez and Marinez going down and Axelrod to the bullpen. The Sox may even send Martinez down after tonight's start and bring up another fresh arm for the Detroit series.

Do you mean Hernandez?

hoosiersoxfan
07-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Do you mean Hernandez?

I wish it was a 23 year old Pedro Martinez instead of Pedro Hernandez

all*star quentin
07-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Gonzo apparently disagrees with Stone at least to the extent that a rehab start isn't mentioned in this story:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0718-bits-white-sox-red-sox-chicago--20120718,0,6056163.story

Also quotes Floyd with more positive news.

Oh sorry about the misspelling of Crain. **** happens.

Lip

Now, during today's game, Stone said 'no rehab for Crain.'

BainesHOF
07-18-2012, 10:39 PM
It's obvious Konerko is hurt.

Noneck
07-18-2012, 10:57 PM
It's obvious Konerko is hurt.

If its the wrist as expected and needs surgery to correct it, DLing wont help, what do you do then?

BainesHOF
07-18-2012, 11:13 PM
If its the wrist as expected and needs surgery to correct it, DLing wont help, what do you do then?

You play through it and do your best, like he's doing.

Noneck
07-18-2012, 11:16 PM
You play through it and do your best, like he's doing.

Can the Sox have a punch and judy hitter hitting cleanup? I really dont know what the solution would be.

Lip Man 1
07-18-2012, 11:18 PM
4th time in the last five games Sox have scored three runs or less, but Konerko told Gonzo after the game tonight it's not his wrist, he said he's just "late" on pitches.

Take it for what that's worth.

Lip

Chez
07-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Do you mean Hernandez?

Yep! Sorry, wrong Pedro. :redface: