PDA

View Full Version : BOS to DFA Lillibridge

soxinem1
07-16-2012, 03:55 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/red-sox-to-designate-brent-lillibridge-for-assignment.html

Who is the first to say 'bring him back'?? :smile:

DumpJerry
07-16-2012, 03:57 PM
That Youkilis deal is looking more and more one-sided every day.

CPditka
07-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Bring him back.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/red-sox-to-designate-brent-lillibridge-for-assignment.html

Frater Perdurabo
07-16-2012, 04:18 PM

I'll bite. I think I might prefer him over Hudson given his versatility.

And maybe that poor kid whose parents videotaped his meltdown over Lillibridge leaving can be made happy again.

central44
07-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Ha. Well i'd love to have him back--as a bench player who can play several positions, he's actually pretty valuable.

soxinem1
07-16-2012, 04:29 PM

And maybe that poor kid whose parents videotaped his meltdown over Lillibridge leaving can be made happy again.

:bandance:

ChiSoxGal85
07-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Ha. Well i'd love to have him back--as a bench player who can play several positions, he's actually pretty valuable.
I agree. If not back with the White Sox, I hope Brent lands on his feet somewhere he can do well and be happy. If I remember right, he's from the Seattle area...maybe the Mariners will pick him up.

OMG, I think the internet would break.

GlassSox
07-16-2012, 04:37 PM
I wish him the very best and I hope that he finds a team to play for.

DonnieDarko
07-16-2012, 04:39 PM
That Youkilis deal is looking more and more one-sided every day.

This.

LITTLE NELL
07-16-2012, 04:41 PM
I'd take him back in a Sebring minute.

GoGoCrede
07-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Awww. :(:

Mohoney
07-16-2012, 05:10 PM
I'll take him over Hudson. He can play the outfield a little bit, and Hudson can't.

Noneck
07-16-2012, 05:12 PM
I've been thinking and yes I would like him to return in place of Hudson. Hudson does play a better 2nd than Lillibridge but the Sox dont need a defensive replacement at 2nd. Lillibridge is a good pinch runner and then could fill in at 1st for PK or Dunn, who he would most probably be pinch running for. Hitting wise he has a heck of a lot more pop than Hudson. Who knows Lillibridge may have upside in his career, Hudson sure doesnt.

And God forbid something happens to an OFer. I dont know of any decent replacements to bring up now with any experience.

slavko
07-16-2012, 05:20 PM
I'll take him over Hudson. He can play the outfield a little bit, and Hudson can't.

"

SaltyPretzel
07-16-2012, 05:48 PM
I've been thinking and yes I would like him to return in place of Hudson. Hudson does play a better 2nd than Lillibridge but the Sox dont need a defensive replacement at 2nd. Lillibridge is a good pinch runner and then could fill in at 1st for PK or Dunn, who he would most probably be pinch running for. Hitting wise he has a heck of a lot more pop than Hudson. Who knows Lillibridge may have upside in his career, Hudson sure doesnt.

And God forbid something happens to an OFer. I dont know of any decent replacements to bring up now with any experience.

He's fast, but one of the worst base runners I've ever seen.

TheVulture
07-16-2012, 05:50 PM
DFA'd? Doesn't that mean Lillibridge is being sent to Pawtucket?

Domeshot17
07-16-2012, 05:55 PM
DFA'd? Doesn't that mean Lillibridge is being sent to Pawtucket?

No, when a player is out of options, they are designated for assignment. Basically, the player has a set number of days to either be claimed by another team, and if not, sent down or outright released.

TomBradley72
07-16-2012, 06:07 PM
I'd like to see Lilli back in a White Sox uniform before the end of the BoSox series. :cool:

I'd rather have Lilli vs. Hudson- he gives us more options-OF/IF/1B

TDog
07-16-2012, 06:19 PM
I'll bite. I think I might prefer him over Hudson given his versatility. ...

You might be right. Hudson was pretty close to an emergency move to find an everyday third baseman, and that seemed to work, even though he wasn't a third baseman, until the Sox picked up Youkilis. Now the team is heavy on utility infielders, although they do have Danks to provide late-inning outfield defense. Lillibridge, with his speed and his ability to play the outfield better than the infield looks like a better fit. He can pinch-run and pinch-hit, although he has had an aweful season at the plate.

I thought Lillibridge would go down when Crawford was activated, but I didn't consider that Lillibridge is out of options. Lillibridge also has some fans in Chicago.

The suggestion is that the Mets might be a good fit, and they might be willing to give up a minor leaguer in trade, but maybe I'm overlooking the obvious. The Yankees don't seem to have enough White Sox castoffs.

delben91
07-16-2012, 06:27 PM
You might be right. Hudson was pretty close to an emergency move to find an everyday third baseman, and that seemed to work, even though he wasn't a third baseman, until the Sox picked up Youkilis. Now the team is heavy on utility infielders, although they do have Danks to provide late-inning outfield defense. Lillibridge, with his speed and his ability to play the outfield better than the infield looks like a better fit. He can pinch-run and pinch-hit, although he has had an aweful season at the plate.

I thought Lillibridge would go down when Crawford was activated, but I didn't consider that Lillibridge is out of options. Lillibridge also has some fans in Chicago.

The suggestion is that the Mets might be a good fit, and they might be willing to give up a minor leaguer in trade, but maybe I'm overlooking the obvious. The Yankees don't seem to have enough White Sox castoffs.

But, but, but.... Lillibridge has a worse K/PA ratio than Dunn...There's no room for that in baseball!!!!!!!

Dunn: 138/375, 1 K every 2.7 PAs
Hudson: 15/109, 1 K every 7.2 PAs
Lillibridge: 26/67, 1 K every 2.6 PAs

TDog
07-16-2012, 07:10 PM
But, but, but.... Lillibridge has a worse K/PA ratio than Dunn...There's no room for that in baseball!!!!!!!

Dunn: 138/375, 1 K every 2.7 PAs
Hudson: 15/109, 1 K every 7.2 PAs
Lillibridge: 26/67, 1 K every 2.6 PAs

Lillibridge does strike out way too much. But he doesn't play every day, and that is going to make him even less sharp at the plate. He has been a role player who has played many games where he doesn't even come up to bat in a position where the team needs offense.

Last year in New York when the White Sox won the first two games of the series against the Yankees, he was a huge part of it. He came in to pinch run for Quentin in the ninth inning of the first game, stole second and scored on a Konerko hit for the second run in a 2-0 win. The next night, he came in as as a pinch-runner for Quentin in the eighth, scored on a home run by Konerko to make the score 3-2. He came up with two out in the ninth and got a single, but it was the bottom of the ninth where he made two catches in right that the game is remembered for.

I don't think any team would be looking for Lillibridge as an everyday player, in large part because he strikes out so much. But signing him as a DH obviously wasn't what I was suggesting.

DSpivack
07-16-2012, 07:17 PM
No, when a player is out of options, they are designated for assignment. Basically, the player has a set number of days to either be claimed by another team, and if not, sent down or outright released.

10 days. It's possible he could be traded, too.

WhiteSoxOnly
07-16-2012, 07:19 PM
He's fast, but one of the worst base runners I've ever seen.

This. The guy has gotten thrown out and or picked off of every base in every kind of situation when he was here. The wheels are there, the smarts aren't.

RKMeibalane
07-16-2012, 07:20 PM

This is exactly what I thought of when I read the subject line.

thomas35forever
07-17-2012, 02:33 AM
I'll take him back. Would be strange to see him and Youk in the same lineup. Even so, I'm okay with it.

russ99
07-17-2012, 02:44 PM

Hudson has a career of being able to hit big league pitching, Lillibridge only has that fluky month and a half to start last season.

Would he be able to take a job from Eduardo Escobar or Jordan Danks? That's the real question...

FielderJones
07-17-2012, 03:46 PM
Hudson has a career of being able to hit big league pitching

That ended this year.

Lip Man 1
07-17-2012, 03:55 PM
I'd guess he doesn't make it through waivers and is claimed by a N.L. club.

Lip

kobo
07-17-2012, 04:10 PM
The Sox need pitching more than they need Lillibridge. This isn't the Ozzie Guillen years where everyone has to play X amount of innings per week. Lillibridge offers nothing other than his versatility; he's simply not needed on this team.

russ99
07-17-2012, 04:53 PM
That ended this year.

Who's to say that's the case? We're just past halfway through the season.

Let's put it another way, I have more confidence in Hudson to hit than Lillibridge at this point and we have lots of weak hitting/decent fielding options.

Can't understand how a career .212 hitter gets so much love around here just because of a few home runs.

SCCWS
07-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Best case would be they find a righthanded IF or outfielder who could provide some offense as a DH when Dunn is facing a lefty he will struggle with ( which would be most). Then unload Hudson or Danks.

slavko
07-17-2012, 04:58 PM

Let's put it another way, I have more confidence in Hudson to hit than Lillibridge at this point and we have lots of weak hitting/decent fielding options.

Can't understand how a career .212 hitter gets so much love around here just because of a few home runs.

Who's to say? Padres. And they backed it up for ~$3M. Two utility infielders. Neither one can hit. One can play the outfield. Don't need Einstein here.

doublem23
07-17-2012, 05:02 PM

I don't know what thread you're reading, but all of the "Lillibridge Love" here is because he can play more than 1 position competently. Nobody is advocating the Sox pick him up to bat clean-up.

eriqjaffe
07-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Nobody is advocating the Sox pick him up to bat clean-up.Yeah, that was last year we wanted him to do that.

TheVulture
07-17-2012, 05:38 PM

We all loved what Lillibridge brought to the team last season. Just because he hasn't hit in sporadic at bats this year doesn't mean much to me, and his previous seasons play was sporadic as well. Last year was the only year he was getting consistent playing time and he produced. He should have been getting a lot of those at bats that were going to Fukudome and Hudson this year, for some reason Ventura didn't see him as the player we saw last year. I would have thought after last year he would have been established as the #1 utility guy. I mean he was 2nd on the team in OBP and SLG last year! Lillibridge should have got the first crack at 3b instead of Hudson, IMO, but I guess he hadn't impressed Ventura much. If he was getting an extra 5 to 10 at bats per week this year he may have been able to re-establish himself. With the number of at bats he got it could have been pure random chance that he was only hitting .170.

I see no reason to keep Hudson if we can get Lillibridge back since we already have Escobar to provide a good infield glove off the bench.

wassagstdu
07-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Somebody is going to pick up a bargain in Lillibridge -- provided they handle him better than Ventura did.

doublem23
07-18-2012, 01:31 AM
Somebody is going to pick up a bargain in Lillibridge -- provided they handle him better than Ventura did.

Considering the guy is a career .212 hitter... Probably not.

RKMeibalane
07-18-2012, 01:38 AM

Why not? People loved Ron Karkovice (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/karkoro01.shtml) when he played, and his career average wasn't much better. His swing had as many holes as his face.

Tragg
07-18-2012, 02:03 AM

I hear you on Lillibridge, although I'd prefer neither Hudson nor Lillibridge. We have a utility infielder; we have a utility outfielder. WE don't need Hudson, so let's got someone who can hit for the bench...or just try some AAA players. Can't do any worse than the incumbents.

palehozenychicty
07-20-2012, 01:34 PM
This. The guy has gotten thrown out and or picked off of every base in every kind of situation when he was here. The wheels are there, the smarts aren't.

Bingo. His baseball IQ is why he never developed into an everyday player.

CHISOXFAN13
07-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Why not? People loved Ron Karkovice (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/karkoro01.shtml) when he played, and his career average wasn't much better. His swing had as many holes as his face.

Karkovice was a pretty solid defensive catcher for a decade.

PorkChopExpress
07-20-2012, 03:00 PM
I hear you on Lillibridge, although I'd prefer neither Hudson nor Lillibridge. We have a utility infielder; we have a utility outfielder. WE don't need Hudson, so let's got someone who can hit for the bench...or just try some AAA players. Can't do any worse than the incumbents.

How about both. I haven't checked in on Dan Johnson in a while, but isn't he known for some pretty big pinch hits last season?

sox1970
07-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Traded to Indians.

That kid weeps.

MarySwiss
07-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Traded to Indians.

That kid weeps.
So do I. :(: