PDA

View Full Version : If you go to one game at Wrigley this year, go this Thursday at 1:20

DumpJerry
07-16-2012, 10:25 AM
:burly
It'll be nice to see some old friends again.

doublem23
07-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Make sure you bring a sign asking Mark if battling for last place was worth a couple extra million

ChiSoxGal85
07-16-2012, 11:23 AM
:burly
It'll be nice to see some old friends again.

I can't. Big girls don't cry. :whiner:

TheVulture
07-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Make sure you bring a sign asking Mark if battling for last place was worth a couple extra million

You realize the Sox didn't offer Buehrle a contract, right?

DumpJerry
07-16-2012, 11:39 AM
I can't. Big girls don't cry. :whiner:
A 21 strike out perfecto will make Dave Kaplan cry like a baby......:D:

dwitt76
07-16-2012, 11:52 AM
If this was a night game, i would be in.

Jollyroger2
07-16-2012, 12:52 PM

That Marlins team is very close to unraveling completely. The DC media here is having a field day with all the nonsense Ozzie is starting with Harper and co.

SI1020
07-16-2012, 01:25 PM
You realize the Sox didn't offer Buehrle a contract, right? I was under the same impression.

DeadMoney
07-16-2012, 01:39 PM

I was under the same impression.

I could be wrong, but I thought the Sox made an initial offer and when Buehrle came back to us and said he was prepared to accept the Marlins deal for X years/dollars, the Sox basically said "Thanks for your contributions here, we're not going to counter that deal." Doesn't really matter though as he was never going to get that kind of years/money from the Sox.

If I could get off of work, I'd be out there in a Buehrle jersey. I certainly wish he pitched one of the previous nights (as I also wish Zambrano pitched in the series) so I could attend.

In regards to their manager coming back to Chicago, I wish the media here would just leave him alone. It actually makes me nervous that he'll start some sort of controversy by sticking his nose (or mouth) where it doesn't belong (in the White Sox business). He's already criticized members of the organization (who apparently wanted to do different things with Beckham and Alexei) in a phone interview with Cowley and he's not even here yet!

Irishsox1
07-16-2012, 02:14 PM
There is no way that cheap skate Marlins owner is going to stick around and pay Buehrle $12M in '13, $19M in '14 and $20M in '15. He'll be traded before then. Ozzie will get fired, then all the big contacts get dumped.

Noneck
07-16-2012, 02:16 PM

Do you actually believe the Sox or his beloved cards didnt offer him a contract? He did the show me the money routine which is fine but dont turn him into the poor guy that had no where else to go guy.

ChiSoxGal85
07-16-2012, 02:42 PM
...and that would make me laugh like a hyena. :bandance:

WhiteSox5187
07-16-2012, 03:00 PM
I could be wrong, but I thought the Sox made an initial offer and when Buehrle came back to us and said he was prepared to accept the Marlins deal for X years/dollars, the Sox basically said "Thanks for your contributions here, we're not going to counter that deal." Doesn't really matter though as he was never going to get that kind of years/money from the Sox.

If I could get off of work, I'd be out there in a Buehrle jersey. I certainly wish he pitched one of the previous nights (as I also wish Zambrano pitched in the series) so I could attend.

In regards to their manager coming back to Chicago, I wish the media here would just leave him alone. It actually makes me nervous that he'll start some sort of controversy by sticking his nose (or mouth) where it doesn't belong (in the White Sox business). He's already criticized members of the organization (who apparently wanted to do different things with Beckham and Alexei) in a phone interview with Cowley and he's not even here yet!

I seem to remember reading in the Tribune that the White Sox offered him arbitration which they expected Buehrle to turn down and then never made him an offer. When the Marlins made their offer Buehrle went to the Sox and made it clear that if they made him an offer that was relatively close to that deal he would take it and the Sox said no. The White Sox then re-signed Danks which was probably the right thing to do.

Irishsox1
07-16-2012, 04:23 PM
The White Sox then re-signed Danks which was probably the right thing to do.

It was the right thing to do money wise, but with 3 starters on the DL and the Sox in first place, the Sox would be better off with Mark.

WhiteSox5187
07-16-2012, 04:32 PM
It was the right thing to do money wise, but with 3 starters on the DL and the Sox in first place, the Sox would be better off with Mark.

Unless I am forgetting someone we only have two starters on the DL. Hindsight would say that for 2012 the Sox would have been better served to bring back Mark and potentially let Danks walk but that is a) hindsight and b) good for 2012 but maybe not for 2013, 2014, etc.

DSpivack
07-16-2012, 04:40 PM
I seem to remember reading in the Tribune that the White Sox offered him arbitration which they expected Buehrle to turn down and then never made him an offer. When the Marlins made their offer Buehrle went to the Sox and made it clear that if they made him an offer that was relatively close to that deal he would take it and the Sox said no. The White Sox then re-signed Danks which was probably the right thing to do.

I still don't understand the contract extension for Danks. I get letting Buehrle walk, but at least his contract is based upon past performance, not a hope for the future based upon potential. That's what Danks is to me, and right now it seems he is way overpaid given the pitcher that he is.

There is no way that cheap skate Marlins owner is going to stick around and pay Buehrle $12M in '13, $19M in '14 and $20M in '15. He'll be traded before then. Ozzie will get fired, then all the big contacts get dumped.

I think he'll sell the team.

DeadMoney
07-16-2012, 06:55 PM
I think he'll sell the team.

You're probably right as the value is higher now than it's ever been.

Guy is a clown though... Anyone else watch The Franchise on Showtime last week? Paraphrasing Loria after Ozzie's opening speech in ST: "97 f-bombs... Man great job, that's the only way to get through to these guys." :rolleyes:

mahagga73
07-16-2012, 09:03 PM
He should have stayed with the Sox where he belongs. Ozzie ,on the other hand ,is finally out of sight and mind and I couldn't be happier the Marlins suck. The man needs some humble pie.

Mohoney
07-16-2012, 09:44 PM

Nobody in their right mind would trade for that contract without the Marlins eating a substantial portion of it.

doublem23
07-17-2012, 05:06 AM
Nobody in their right mind would trade for that contract without the Marlins eating a substantial portion of it.

Yeah, his deal is INSANELY back-loaded. It's a joke

SOXSINCE'70
07-17-2012, 08:15 AM
Big girls don't cry. :whiner:

Great song by The Four Seasons from 1962.:D:

SOXSINCE'70
07-17-2012, 08:16 AM

We can hope.:D:

DumpJerry
07-17-2012, 09:17 AM
Unless I am forgetting someone we only have two starters on the DL. Hindsight would say that for 2012 the Sox would have been better served to bring back Mark and potentially let Danks walk but that is a) hindsight and b) good for 2012 but maybe not for 2013, 2014, etc.
In the last 24 hours there have been reports that Gavin is headed for the DL. It looks like Humber is coming off tomorrow, but we'll have to wait to see if it really happens.

TheVulture
07-17-2012, 04:57 PM

Foresight during the off season would have said the same thing. John Danks at his best wasn't as good as Buerhle at his average. When Danks was having trouble averaging 6 innings a start at age 25, Buehrle had already had four consecutive 220 innings seasons including a 245 inning season. For my money, Buehrle at 35 would have been less risky than Danks at 30. There just aren't that many pitchers who have proven they can be effective year in and year out. Danks never showed he could go out and pitch seven plus innings effectively and consistently, there's no way I'd sign that kind of pitcher to a big multiyear deal. The Sox would have been better off trading Danks for a couple good prospects and re-signing Buehrle.

russ99
07-17-2012, 06:50 PM
A bit of hindsight on the Buehrle issue, seems to me like it just wasn't going to happen:

Unlike 2007, the Sox didn't negotiate during the season, rather waited for the offseason and the first move was offering arbitration.

Even without the backloading, his Marlins contract was $2M more than his last Sox contract - both 4 years.

With Jerry having to cut payroll after last year's debacle, there's no way Buehrle would have gotten a 4 year offer, not to mention a raise at age 33 on opening day.

With a lack of quality starters on the free agent market, Mark was able to name his price. If the Sox had the payroll and wanted to keep him, they would have signed him well before that point...

DumpJerry
07-17-2012, 06:52 PM
So, is anyone going to the game? I can't, but there will be "next year."

HomeFish
07-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Even with hindsight, I do not think that re-signing Buehrle would have been a good move.

Boondock Saint
07-17-2012, 09:14 PM
A bit of hindsight on the Buehrle issue, seems to me like it just wasn't going to happen:

Unlike 2007, the Sox didn't negotiate during the season, rather waited for the offseason and the first move was offering arbitration.

Even without the backloading, his Marlins contract was $2M more than his last Sox contract - both 4 years.

With Jerry having to cut payroll after last year's debacle, there's no way Buehrle would have gotten a 4 year offer, not to mention a raise at age 33 on opening day.

With a lack of quality starters on the free agent market, Mark was able to name his price. If the Sox had the payroll and wanted to keep him, they would have signed him well before that point...

This post makes too much sense. I demand you delete it immediately.

Viva Medias B's
07-17-2012, 09:53 PM
If I didn't have to work Thursday, I'd be there.

all*star quentin
07-17-2012, 09:57 PM
So, is anyone going to the game? I can't, but there will be "next year."

Good one!

bunkaroo
07-19-2012, 10:56 AM
If this was a night game I'd be there. But I'm taking off next Wednesday to see the Sox day game and I couldn't pull if off twice in two weeks. :(