PDA

View Full Version : Youk--Bulletin Board Material

SCCWS
07-15-2012, 05:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8168192/boston-red-sox-bobby-valentine-blames-kevin-youkilis-poor-relationship

Valentine takes a parting shot at Youk. Hope he wears out the wall in left this week. Valentine has created more friction in the Red Sox clubhouse in his brief stint than Ozzie did in Chicago.

Sox
07-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Yeah definitely not a fan of Bobby V.....how funny would that be if Youk belted some dingers that would wipe that cat ate the canary smile off of Valentines face.

TDog
07-15-2012, 07:04 PM
The big difference between the Sox before the All-Star break and in the Kansas City series following it has been Youkilis failing to produce. He got the sacrifice fly to drive in the deciding run in the first game, but he otherwise didn't have a good night. He probably didn't get anything that he could have hit to drive in the runner at third in the ninth Sunday, and,. of course, Saturday he was intentionally walked in a similar situation.

Youkilis was the difference between winning and losing and the last homestand. I hope he returns to his earlier White Sox form in Boston. He seems like the sort of player who would be inspired to perform well against the team that dumped him.

JB98
07-15-2012, 07:34 PM
The big difference between the Sox before the All-Star break and in the Kansas City series following it has been Youkilis failing to produce. He got the sacrifice fly to drive in the deciding run in the first game, but he otherwise didn't have a good night. He probably didn't get anything that he could have hit to drive in the runner at third in the ninth Sunday, and,. of course, Saturday he was intentionally walked in a similar situation.

Youkilis was the difference between winning and losing and the last homestand. I hope he returns to his earlier White Sox form in Boston. He seems like the sort of player who would be inspired to perform well against the team that dumped him.

You mean other than getting a base hit to start the tying rally in the ninth? He reached base four times, scored twice and had the game-winning RBI. That stinks.

balke
07-15-2012, 07:36 PM

Instead of going out of your way to undermine his play... "Youk is 0-8 the past 2 games." would probably be a more proper way to state this.

That game winning RBI in KC also came after a 14 pitch at-bat - he had 3 walks that game. He's also flashed some decent leather at 3B.

WLL1855
07-15-2012, 07:49 PM

Jesus Christ crucify the guy already TDog. Clearly he's lower than pond scum.

palehozenychicty
07-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Some people just have nothing else to do. I'm not worried about Youkilis.

jdm2662
07-15-2012, 09:09 PM
Some people just have nothing else to do. I'm not worried about Youkilis.

Neither am I. He's not taking the bait, and has already moved on. However, if he wants to have a monster series, fine by me... :D:

doublem23
07-15-2012, 09:29 PM
You mean other than getting a base hit to start the tying rally in the ninth? He reached base four times, scored twice and had the game-winning RBI. That stinks.

This is the same guy who would dump a guy on pace to hit 50+ HR because he doesn't try to shoot little singles down the 3B line

palehozenychicty
07-15-2012, 11:01 PM
This is the same guy who would dump a guy on pace to hit 50+ HR because he doesn't try to shoot little singles down the 3B line

Haters gon' hate.

kittle42
07-15-2012, 11:23 PM

Give me a huge ****ing break.

Christ, TDog - can you just provide us a list of which players you deem worthy of praise, and we'll all agree to bash the rest of the team?

Kevin Youkilis is the reason the Sox were only 2-1 and had close wins these last three days.

Love it. The logic is reaching shoota-esque levels.

We should start a Pick to Not Click contest, to guess whom TDog will blame the game on each day. If it's Dunn, no one gets points.

TDog
07-16-2012, 12:40 AM

First of all, I didn't crucify Youkilis. He left five men on base Friday night and was thrown out for the third out of an inning trying to go from first to third on a single on a play that wasn't close taking the White Sox out of an inning. He got the runner in from third in the 13th, but he left runners in scoring position in the fourth and in the 12th and grounded into a double play in the second with two on when a hit when the Sox had Chen on the ropes He didn't have a very good game. Then he went hitless Saturday, although he drew a walk with a runner in scoring position in front of Dunn and he went hitless today, although he drew a walk with a runner in scoring position in front of Dunn. The game winning hit is sandwiched between failing with three runners in scoring position and an 0-for-8 slump. Anyone who believes Youkilis, who was carrying the White Sox offensively during the last homestand, had a good offensive series in Kansas City wasn't paying attention.

I merely observed that Youkilis didn't have a very good series and I hope he has a better series against the Red Sox. I am astounded that anyone would disagree with me.

Secondly, Dunn would have driven in more runs today if he would have singled instead of homering in the first. Having homered in the first, he still could have added to his RBI total with a single in the ninth, and his team would have been better for it. The Royals announcers in the ninth were talking about how this year they had seen other power hitters like Ortiz shorten their swings and the other way with men on base when the Royals defense employed their extreme shift.

Noneck
07-16-2012, 01:05 AM
Secondly, Dunn would have driven in more runs today if he would have singled instead of homering in the first. Having homered in the first, he still could have added to his RBI total with a single in the ninth, and his team would have been better for it. The Royals announcers in the ninth were talking about how this year they had seen other power hitters like Ortiz shorten their swings and the other way with men on base when the Royals defense employed their extreme shift.

I cant remember but did you say this same stuff about Thome when he was with the Sox?

Tragg
07-16-2012, 01:10 AM
This weekend, Dunn hit 3 homers, and checked in with an OBP of .538.

What are we talking about here. Turn Dunn into a slapper, which, if it worked, would work for about a week, until they stop shifting on him?

doublem23
07-16-2012, 01:12 AM

Dunn could hit 15 HR in 15 plate appearances for a series and some of his more ridiculous critics would find some fault with it

tstrike2000
07-16-2012, 01:16 AM
Dunn and Youk, both garbage. Get rid of both of them. Put Morel/Hudson back at 3B! Dump Dunn, get on the horn and get Mark Kotsay back here...PRONTO!!

TDog
07-16-2012, 01:23 AM
I cant remember but did you say this same stuff about Thome when he was with the Sox?

Don't compare Jim Thome and Adam Dunn. Jim Thome was an RBI man who drove in runners with singles and doubles as well as home runs. He was a .300 hitter several seasons with Cleveland and nearly hit .290 in his first year with the White Sox.

TDog
07-16-2012, 01:29 AM
Dunn and Youk, both garbage. Get rid of both of them. Put Morel/Hudson back at 3B! Dump Dunn, get on the horn and get Mark Kotsay back here...PRONTO!!

I never said Youkilis was garbage, of course. I never suggested dumping him. In the MVP thread, I wrote that he has been the White Sox MVP since his trade.

However, I don't want him to go hitless in his next eight at bat in Boston as he did in Kansas City. I am surprised this seems to be a controversial position.

Noneck
07-16-2012, 01:36 AM
Don't compare Jim Thome and Adam Dunn. Jim Thome was an RBI man who drove in runners with singles and doubles as well as home runs. He was a .300 hitter several seasons with Cleveland and nearly hit .290 in his first year with the White Sox.

You mentioned shortening the swing and Ortiz doing it. Did you want Thome to do that also? And where did I compare Thome to Dunn?

Aesero
07-16-2012, 02:51 AM
Dunn could hit 15 HR in 15 plate appearances for a series and some of his more ridiculous critics would find some fault with it

See the thing is, though, if he hits that many homeruns the games are already won and therefore they're not pressure situation hits. Homeruns from Dunn don't count unless they are hit in high pressure, close game situations in the 7th 8th or 9th. (Also has to be beyond the first month of play.)

Boondock Saint
07-16-2012, 04:00 AM
See the thing is, though, if he hits that many homeruns the games are already won and therefore they're not pressure situation hits. Homeruns from Dunn don't count unless they are hit in high pressure, close game situations in the 7th 8th or 9th. (Also has to be beyond the first month of play.)

And the wind can't be blowing out, it can't be too warm, he can't not swing at anything in the strike zone ever, and if the pitcher he's facing isn't Cy Young caliber or if he strikes out at any time during the game, any HR's accrued are null and void.

canOcorn
07-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Free Nate Schierholtz!

Bob Roarman
07-16-2012, 07:44 AM
I never said Youkilis was garbage, of course. I never suggested dumping him. In the MVP thread, I wrote that he has been the White Sox MVP since his trade.

However, I don't want him to go hitless in his next eight at bat in Boston as he did in Kansas City. I am surprised this seems to be a controversial position.

You couldn't have realistically expected him to continue what he was doing. That's why it's ridiculous that when he does cools off, comes back down to earth a bit or has a rough series, that it's suddenly a huge change. Things like that happen to every hitter. Even after going 0 for 8, I believe he's still hitting over .300 with the Sox. If he was the biggest difference in winning that last home stand (and I'm not saying he wasn't) for you to expect an entire offense to depend on one player's uncanny ability to continue to drive in game winning runs game after game, you aren't going to do very well. And it won't be his fault.

SCCWS
07-16-2012, 08:34 AM
Since the Red Sox will start 3 lefties in this series, it might help the offense to move Rios up to 3rd and move everyone down a slot. But tonight is the righty so lets hope the bats are hot.

asindc
07-16-2012, 09:08 AM

What are we talking about here. Turn Dunn into a slapper, which, if it worked, would work for about a week, until they stop shifting on him?

It would work for longer than a week, because when they stopped shifting on him (the whole point of going the other way, mind you, is to get them to stop the shift), he would find more holes on the right side of the infield. No one (including, I dare say, TDog) wants Dunn to shorten his swing All The Time, but in situations where it is appropriate (2-strikes; runner on third and less than two outs; runner on 2nd when the aggressive shift is still employed), it would be good to see him get a hit or at least get on base when the likelihood of him hitting a HR with two strikes on him is less than 5% and a fly ball or single would likely score a run.

thehawkeroo
07-16-2012, 09:49 AM
And the wind can't be blowing out, it can't be too warm, he can't not swing at anything in the strike zone ever, and if the pitcher he's facing isn't Cy Young caliber or if he strikes out at any time during the game, any HR's accrued are null and void.

He must be somehow using a ball from the dead ball era, or else the live ball gives him an unfair competitive advantage.

tstrike2000
07-16-2012, 09:54 AM

I know you never said he was garbage, I was just using extreme exaggeration to show what we've had in the past and what we have now. Up to getting Youkilis, the White Sox were last in every hitting category at third base...in all of MLB. So, I guess I'm surprised Youk going hitless in the last two KC games is cause for any major concern. He did walk in each of those games. I highly doubt Morel or Hudson would've at least done that. Considering we don't hit KC well, and haven't won a series there in three years, we should be happy. The games Youk has already won for us with the bat and glove can't be understated.

kobo
07-16-2012, 10:43 AM

The big difference between the Sox before the All-Star break and in the Kansas City series following it has been Youkilis failing to produce.
While you never said Youk was garbage or anything of the sort, you heavily implied that the KC series was as close as it was due to Youk and his failure to produce. This stance is absolutely ridiculous. You cannot place blame on one member of the offense when the other 8 guys in the lineup fail to do the same thing in similar situations. Where is the outrage over Konerko's failed attempts to drive in runners in scoring position in this series?

kittle42
07-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Unless TDog wants to keep giving us more amusing fodder, I'll politely call for a moratorium on dumping on TDog in the thread.

TDog
07-16-2012, 01:15 PM
You couldn't have realistically expected him to continue what he was doing. That's why it's ridiculous that when he does cools off, comes back down to earth a bit or has a rough series, that it's suddenly a huge change. Things like that happen to every hitter. Even after going 0 for 8, I believe he's still hitting over .300 with the Sox. If he was the biggest difference in winning that last home stand (and I'm not saying he wasn't) for you to expect an entire offense to depend on one player's uncanny ability to continue to drive in game winning runs game after game, you aren't going to do very well. And it won't be his fault.

There are expectations among White Sox fans that he will have a great series against the Red Sox because he is going back to Boston. Those expectations didn't come from me. I was pointing out that he didn't have a good series in Kansas City. There was no criticism of Youkilis. If anything there was questioning people who are expecting him to have a great series in Boston. I hope he does, and he does have something to prove in Boston. It may be that his poor series in Kansas City because he was looking ahead to Boston.

Nobody did much of anything offensive Saturday and Sunday. Even Dunn with three home runs left three times as many runners in scoring position than baserunners he drove in. In fact, Dunn didn't drive in any runners from scoring position in the series. Somebody is going to have to step up offensively Boston, and there seem to be expectations at WSI that it will be Youkilis.

I hope people who want to attack me for making a simple point have reason to feel the need to gloat after Youkilis has a great series because they believe I said he sucks. If the misinterpretations of my statement and finding implications that do not exist in m text weren't so offensive I would find them amusing.

kittle42
07-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Nobody did much of anything offensive Saturday and Sunday. Even Dunn with three home runs left three times as many runners in scoring position than baserunners he drove in. In fact, Dunn didn't drive in any runners from scoring position in the series. Somebody is going to have to step up offensively Boston, and there seem to be expectations at WSI that it will be Youkilis.

I hope people who want to attack me for making a simple point have reason to feel the need to gloat after Youkilis has a great series because they believe I said he sucks.

I want to "attack" you because you continue to outdo yourself. See the above.

SCCWS
07-16-2012, 01:46 PM
There are expectations among White Sox fans that he will have a great series against the Red Sox because he is going back to Boston. Those expectations didn't come from me. I was pointing out that he didn't have a good series in Kansas City. There was no criticism of Youkilis. If anything there was questioning people who are expecting him to have a great series in Boston. I hope he does, and he does have something to prove in Boston. It may be that his poor series in Kansas City because he was looking ahead to Boston.

I hope people who want to attack me for making a simple point have reason to feel the need to gloat after Youkilis has a great series because they believe I said he sucks. If the misinterpretations of my statement and finding implications that do not exist in m text weren't so offensive I would find them amusing.

Actually you were the 3rd poster on the thread. Both of the posts before you said we "hoped" Youk would have a good series after the Valentine rant. Not sure where the "great expectations" for the series came from. We all agree it would be great if he tore them apart. Hopefully their staff doesn't use their familiarity of him to get him out.

Noneck
07-16-2012, 01:56 PM
I want to "attack" you because you continue to outdo yourself. See the above.

I never want to attack anyone but this is getting totally insane. How anyone could knock this guy for what he did in the KC series is amazing. I was one of the few that wasnt keen on the Dunn acquisition but realize he is what he is, hes not going anywhere and is not going to change what he does. Im not crazy about the heat wave we are having but look for the bright side of it, the same I do with Dunn.

SephClone89
07-16-2012, 02:03 PM

This is an act, right?

doublem23
07-16-2012, 02:26 PM

Oh god, just admit you overreached trying to make a point and everyone called you on it. No sense in digging the hole any deeper. Nobody ever posted anything saying they "expected" Youkilis to tear the Sawx apart, just that he has plenty of incentive to do so. And yes, while he didn't have a monster series at Kansas City, all you need to do is look at his WPA for the series, which was still easily positive, to know that his contributions to the series win was more than just what shows up in the box score. Sometimes you actually have to watch the games.

And, of course, it wouldn't be a TDog post without an absurd rip on Adam Dunn, who only paced the offense the whole weekend but somehow didn't live up to whatever ridiculous standards you have set for him. Anyways, Dunn may have only driven in 1 run for every 3 he left, but that still is getting 25% of the runners home, which bests both the AL average for amount of runners driven in which is roughly 13.8% (20,456 PA with runners on, 28,227 total runners, 4475 RBI - 568 HR). So he basically doubled the expected output, but hey, still not good enough.

hawkjt
07-16-2012, 02:56 PM
I am dreading this series. Youk probably puts too much pressure on himself and will struggle, the Red Sox are getting Crawford and Ellsbury back,and their offense will have a field day vs Axelrod,Humber,and a minor leaguer.
Their offense is good against average starters,and the Sox are facing their 4 best starters lately. Beckett finally had a decent outing yesterday,but the rest have been better lately.

I will be very happy with a split,but am braced for worse...much worse.

kittle42
07-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Oh god, just admit you overreached trying to make a point and everyone called you on it. No sense in digging the hole any deeper. Nobody ever posted anything saying they "expected" Youkilis to tear the Sawx apart, just that he has plenty of incentive to do so. And yes, while he didn't have a monster series at Kansas City, all you need to do is look at his WPA for the series, which was still easily positive, to know that his contributions to the series win was more than just what shows up in the box score. Sometimes you actually have to watch the games.

And, of course, it wouldn't be a TDog post without an absurd rip on Adam Dunn, who only paced the offense the whole weekend but somehow didn't live up to whatever ridiculous standards you have set for him. Anyways, Dunn may have only driven in 1 run for every 3 he left, but that still is getting 25% of the runners home, which bests both the AL average for amount of runners driven in which is roughly 13.8% (20,456 PA with runners on, 28,227 total runners, 4475 RBI - 568 HR). So he basically doubled the expected output, but hey, still not good enough.

Now *that's* how you post! Dominance.

palehozenychicty
07-16-2012, 03:26 PM

The bottom line is that they took the series. They left some runs on the bags. We know that. Buy this is a bottom line game in the second half. Keep winning series, stay healthy, and move forward. That's all I ask of them.

They did that in a place where they have struggled recently, and for you to nitpick their techniques is fair, but silly when the only objective was accomplished.

delben91
07-16-2012, 03:28 PM
I am dreading this series. Youk probably puts too much pressure on himself and will struggle, the Red Sox are getting Crawford and Ellsbury back,and their offense will have a field day vs Axelrod,Humber,and a minor leaguer.
Their offense is good against average starters,and the Sox are facing their 4 best starters lately. Beckett finally had a decent outing yesterday,but the rest have been better lately.

I'm loving the dichotomy of this thread. Some post hoping Youkilis plays well given the motivation of his personal experience in Boston, others are hoping against hope that the Sox aren't totally over-matched and get swept.

Oh WSI, you never cease to amaze.

Aesero
07-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Ok new rule for Dunn: Home runs don't count unless they're hit with a runner in scoring position.

Gotcha

asindc
07-16-2012, 04:17 PM

Dreading? Really?

KenBerryGrab
07-16-2012, 04:18 PM
And the Red Sox DFA Lillibridge as the White Sox hit down. Drama meter: high.

palehozenychicty
07-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Dreading? Really?

I know. C'mon.

tstrike2000
07-16-2012, 06:13 PM
It'll be nice when this series is over, for all parties involved.

kittle42
07-16-2012, 06:30 PM
It'll be nice when this series is over, for all parties involved.

Just another series, minus a little Youkilis love in Boston.

thomas35forever
07-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Fisk homered in his first game back at Fenway. Will history repeat itself tonight?

TDog
07-16-2012, 06:51 PM

I was probably reacting more to something on saw on MLB and e-mails than WSI. There was no criticism of Youkilis, only noting that he wasn't carrying the team as he was before the All-Star break.

I don't think I even ripped Adam Dunn. I was referring to your ridiculouos statement that he could hit 15 straight home runs and he critics would still find something to complain about. It was so ridiculous that I believe it wasn't intented as argument but to play to the audience that is not interested in a debate as to whether a player leading the league in home runs is helping a team offensively when he is hitting less than .220 overall and less than .230 with runners in scoring position, rates that compare extremely unfavorably for No. 3 hitters, while striking out at a pace unprecedented in the history of major league baseball. It is the subject for legitimate debate, and you belittle anyone with concern that Dunn is hurting the team at least as much as he is helping it.

If Dunn shattered the major league record with 15 straight hits, I wouldn't find any reason to criticize him, even if they weren't all home runs. If Dunn were to go 15 plate appearances without striking out, I would be impressed. If he simply stopped striking out so often, stopped getting called out on strikes so often with runners on base, started hitting for a respectable batting average as every 50-home-run hitter in the history of major league baseball has done, I would be impressed. If he followed 15 straight home runs with 30 straight strikeouts, I would find reason to criticize him. There is more to run production than solo home runs.

I hope Youkilis, Dunn and everyone else in the road uniform has a great series in Boston and the team hits close to .400 for the week.

delben91
07-16-2012, 08:45 PM

If this is struggling, I can't wait for Youkilis to get in a groove.