PDA

View Full Version : Help me out

fado
08-08-2001, 12:01 PM
At what point do you give up on these "young" pitchers? KW is a good pitcher, I do not dispute that. But he has been pitching up in the bigs for almost two and a half seasons. His first full season last year. Hawk kept referring to KW as a young pitcher who needs to find...BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. His ERA last year was 6.04 with a not that great SO/W ratio. This year he was heading for the same thing. Will he do better in the pen. Probably, look what it did for Garland, but at the same time do you think that KW is a starter? I don't know and I was wondering what you guys think.

Mathew
08-08-2001, 12:10 PM
They can't use age as their defence. if they're in the bigs, they should perform at such a level, we tend to accept poor play from our young players. With so many pitchers on the farm, I don't understand why we're not happy with a good middle reliever a la Glover Kipper Garland. If these guys are performing out of the pen that should be great news. I'm sure these guy could all be great starters some day but if their good relievers now let them be. If later they look good enough mentally to start again go for it. Middle relievers are getting more credit these days, allstar selections ect. We need the 12 best pitchers we have on the team, not the 12 best potentials.

Fisk Fan
08-08-2001, 05:30 PM
The only problem that I see is that these pitchers usually do pretty well in AAA ball and are theoretically ready for the majors. When they initially do poorly, the manager usually gives them some time to try and sort it out in the big leagues. The hard part is knowing when to send them back down and when not to, for fear of a set back.

I still think that Kip can get the job done, but if he has to complete another tour of duty in the bullpen to get better, then so be it.