PDA

View Full Version : *Official* "Better Late Than Never" 7/13-14 Postgame Thread

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-14-2012, 01:36 AM
Whoo...won't be too busy of a gamethread, but a Sox win!

soxfanreggie
07-14-2012, 01:36 AM
I think this fireworks show may be close to what we saw in San Diego on the 4th.

GoGoCrede
07-14-2012, 01:37 AM
It was fun, everyone.

Boondock Saint
07-14-2012, 01:37 AM
pYzOQFpGPYE

Crooked Number
07-14-2012, 01:38 AM
Burls coulda fit three starts inside this one.

Sox win! In kc? In extras?? :o:

BigHurt3515
Thank god! Glad we won, would of sucked to see us lose there.

Gameday thread was fun tonight

voodoochile
I'm ragged out but happy. Heck of a thing to win that game. So many chances both to win and lose it, to come out on top was amazing.

Hope Peavy and Sale can go deep the next two games. I think we gonna need the bullpen the next 7 days after that.

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Mohoney
07-14-2012, 01:39 AM
Best win of the season, without a doubt.

ElevenUp
07-14-2012, 01:39 AM
Grindiest game ever. Hope Jake goes long later today.

Zakath
07-14-2012, 01:40 AM
14-pitch AB for Youkilis in the 14th inning in a game that started on the 13th but ended on the 14th to drive in the winning run.

He's kinda OK.

Boondock Saint
07-14-2012, 01:41 AM
14-pitch AB for Youkilis in the 14th inning in a game that started on the 13th but ended on the 14th to drive in the winning run.

He's kinda OK.

The at bat was 15 pitches.

edit: Looked it up again, just to be sure. I'm wrong, as well as stupid.

Foulke You
Wow, that game was epic. Feels like it should count for two wins. Peavy talked about the need for "grinding it out" in the second half. He was not joking! :D:

guillensdisciple
I'm going to bed. Before I do though- good game sox.

Noneck
07-14-2012, 01:47 AM
Quenched my Sox fix. Hope Peavy goes deep tomorrow and then Sale on sunday.

btw: PK doesnt look good at the plate at all.

Tragg
07-14-2012, 01:50 AM
Nice effort by Axelrod. Just make sure we give him needed rest.

Was Hudson safe in the 9th? I couldn't tell.

We have 2 utility infielders. How about a bat from the minors in lieu of one of them.

CoopaLoop
07-14-2012, 01:52 AM

We have 2 utility infielders. How about a bat from the minors in lieu of one of them.

Sure looked like his hand got in and then was tagged on the hip.

Taliesinrk
07-14-2012, 01:55 AM

Yes, Hudson did touch the plate, and was safe... close play, but the ump got it wrong.

This game reminds me of the one in extras several years ago where Marte tagged the guy out at home trying to score on a WP. Sox won that one over KC as well. What year was that?

central44
07-14-2012, 01:57 AM
This is one of those wins that can be huge for momentum, especially kicking off the second half.

Awesome to see the Sox fight through this one, especially when every bounce seemed to go against them. Fantastic win!

TheOldRoman
07-14-2012, 01:59 AM
Yes, Hudson did touch the plate, and was safe... close play, but the ump got it wrong.

This game reminds me of the one in extras several years ago where Marte tagged the guy out at home trying to score on a WP. Sox won that one over KC as well. What year was that?Hmm, Marte hasn't been on the team since 2005, and that play seems more recent. Was it maybe DJ Carrasco?

Tragg
07-14-2012, 01:59 AM
Viciedo hit that homer on a ball that was about an inch off of the ground. That's strength. If he could just learn to wait for good pitches he could be a sensational hitter.

TheOldRoman
07-14-2012, 02:04 AM
Viciedo hit that homer on a ball that was about an inch off of the ground. That's strength. If he could just learn to wait for good pitches he could be a sensational hitter.He will get better. And as he improves, he will draw a lot more walks. Just look at Corky McRoider, Sammy Sosa, who never saw a slider two feet outside that he didn't love. Even with his lack of discipline, he still drew 70-100 walks a year in his prime because he was a threat to homer every AB.

LongLiveFisk
07-14-2012, 02:05 AM
Ended up missing from the 7th inning on, so I was very glad to come here and see the good news. :D:

Don't stop now, boys! :bandance:

Irishsoxfan
07-14-2012, 02:06 AM
Wasn't expecting to catch any of this game live when I got up this morning. Glad I did.

TDog
07-14-2012, 02:07 AM
This is a pesky Royals team, and this wasn't their first heartbreaking loss of 2012. I thought the chances were good that the White Sox would lose the game when Youkilis grounded into a double play in the top of the second. Up by three, two on and none out, and the Sox had Chen on the ropes. I don't know if there was any activity in the bullpen at that point, but the White Sox were working Chen hard and seemed on the verge of blowing him out. Suddenly, it was just the three-run lead going into the bottom of the second, and I was pretty sure the Royals were going to score more than three against Quintana. And a two-out bunt in fact gave the Royals a two-run lead in the middle innings.

Still, the Sox took a lead into the bottom of the eighth, thanks to Viciedo. But Jones got a blown save with two more RBIs from Escobar. The Sox should have taken the lead in the ninth, but only tied it. Beckham's clutch two-out double after a wild pitch would have won it but for the blown save by Reed, and Pierzynski came close to winning it before sanity was restored with your basic sacrifice fly and a three-up, three-down inning from not a closer, but the previous game's starter -- and loser.

So many mistakes on both sides. Youkilis getting thrown out at third with two outs ended an inning that would have given Rios a chance to hit with runners in scoring position. But that wasn't as bad as Dyson getting picked off second with one out and the score tied in the bottom of the ninth. Shades of Brent Lillibridge in his first 2011 appearance in extra innings in KC.

And the White Sox ended up with only three hits with runners in scoring position -- the Viciedo home run that should have won the damn game, the Pierzynski single that should have won the damn game and the Beckham double that should have won the damn game that would be decided with a productive out, more than five hours after the White Sox seemed to be on the way to running away from the Royals with two homers in the first.

This is a game you need to win because it's a lot of work to go through for a loss. I think the Royals bullpen was worked harder than the White Sox pen, though. And it may have made a difference that the White Sox ended the game with a pitcher stretched out from starting and going on four days of rest.

Quite the memorable win.

waldo_the_wolf
07-14-2012, 02:10 AM

This game reminds me of the one in extras several years ago where Marte tagged the guy out at home trying to score on a WP. Sox won that one over KC as well. What year was that?

April 23, 2005

IronFisk
07-14-2012, 02:15 AM
Good win, and kept pace.

It's beer-thirty.

:gulp:

SoxSpeed22
07-14-2012, 02:15 AM
I really hope we get some vet help in the pen, either by Jesse coming back or getting someone else. A lot of KC's guys teed off on fastballs while our pitchers were throwing a bunch of fastballs. A vet could really steady things in the pen. Good thing KC made plenty of baserunning mistakes.
At least we've got the right guy going for tomorrow (knocks on wood).

voodoochile
07-14-2012, 02:18 AM

Wasn't the game KC loaded the bases with nobody out then the Sox threw a wild pitch and still went on to win?

Guess technically it's not a wild pitch if the runner is out, it's merely a caught stealing but still...

ZombieRob
07-14-2012, 02:30 AM
I really hope we get some vet help in the pen, either by Jesse coming back or getting someone else. A lot of KC's guys teed off on fastballs while our pitchers were throwing a bunch of fastballs. A vet could really steady things in the pen. Good thing KC made plenty of baserunning mistakes.
At least we've got the right guy going for tomorrow (knocks on wood).
I really think it was rust. The "stuff was there , just location was off.

HomeFish
07-14-2012, 02:30 AM
Just got back from this game. It was the first time I've seen the Sox play live since July of 2011, when I also saw Kevin Youkilis get a game-winning hit...against the Sox.

Was my first time seeing Quintana, Reed, Axelrod, Jones, Septimo, and the guy who came in after Reed (forgot his name). Obviously they didn't have their best nights, but it's exciting to have so many promising young players.

SoxSpeed22
07-14-2012, 02:33 AM
I really think it was rust. The "stuff was there , just location was off.That's a good point. They will get into the swing of things soon.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-14-2012, 02:41 AM
Just got back from this game. It was the first time I've seen the Sox play live since July of 2011, when I also saw Kevin Youkilis get a game-winning hit...against the Sox.

Was my first time seeing Quintana, Reed, Axelrod, Jones, Septimo, and the guy who came in after Reed (forgot his name). Obviously they didn't have their best nights, but it's exciting to have so many promising young players.

Jhan Marinez?

doublem23
07-14-2012, 02:51 AM
Well, if you're going to play 14 innings, you may as well win

HomeFish
07-14-2012, 02:52 AM
Jhan Marinez?

Yeah. He pitched really well. Was this his major league debut?

Tragg
07-14-2012, 02:53 AM
It looks like Dick Dotson (my favorite Sox pitcher of his era) has done a pretty solid job as pitching coach in Charlotte. There unheralded rookies are doing pretty well.

Youkilis getting thrown out at third with two outs ended an inning that would have given Rios a chance to hit with runners in scoring position. He was out by 5 feet, but the Sox have done a great job this year taking third on singles. And it's helped score runs.

doublem23
07-14-2012, 02:54 AM
Yeah. He pitched really well. Was this his major league debut?

No he had a cup of coffee with the Marlins last year. Tonight was his White Sox debut.

amsteel
07-14-2012, 03:59 AM
A win is a win, but jesus, there was a lot to dislike about this game.

My confidence in the babes in the bullpen is shrinking.

SaltyPretzel
07-14-2012, 05:01 AM
It wasn't pretty, but they fought. They would have lost this game last year.

cards press box
07-14-2012, 05:41 AM

He's kinda OK.

Yeah, he definitely is. What a trade! And as for tonight's long game,

:winner

roylestillman
07-14-2012, 06:38 AM
It wasn't pretty, but they fought. They would have lost this game last year.

This has become the slogan of the 2012 White Sox.

harwar
07-14-2012, 08:17 AM
There was some kind of glitch with mlbtv in our area and the entire game was without any broadcast from the booth .. the sounds of the game and crowd were there, just no Hawk and Stone .. i have to say that it was the most enjoyable game all year for me .. since i'm too sick to go to games now, it was almost like being there .. a home game would have been even better .. anyway, i love watching this team and like others have said, last year this would have been a loss ..

slavko
07-14-2012, 08:53 AM
Viciedo hit that homer on a ball that was about an inch off of the ground. That's strength. If he could just learn to wait for good pitches he could be a sensational hitter.

He's better at it. Had some painful times last year with no power AND no batting eye. It's coming together.

Ax is off my **** list now, but Jones and Reed are frustrating me.

07-14-2012, 08:56 AM
I fell asleep on the couch at least 3 times watching this game. I woke up thinking they lost. I'm not even sure what happened but I am happy to see a WIN!

07-14-2012, 08:58 AM
There was some kind of glitch with mlbtv in our area and the entire game was without any broadcast from the booth .. the sounds of the game and crowd were there, just no Hawk and Stone .. i have to say that it was the most enjoyable game all year for me .. since i'm too sick to go to games now, it was almost like being there .. a home game would have been even better .. anyway, i love watching this team and like others have said, last year this would have been a loss ..

Hey just a heads up. MLB.TV has that option for every game. I actually use it as my preferred method for viewing games. I crank the volume up a bit and just hear the crowd reactions instead of the announcers.

October26
07-14-2012, 09:09 AM
What a Friday the 13th and what a game! I fell asleep sometime around midnight so just went back to Comcast on Demand to watch the end of last night's game. These 2012 Sox grinders continue to impress--love it! :bandance:

34rancher
07-14-2012, 09:11 AM
I really was impressed by the battling of the young guns from the pen. Septimo was relentless getting that out at second. Lot of guts and heart. And Youk just is tough in that second hole. I wasn't a fan of moving Gordon out of it as he was breaking out, but wow. And Gordon had agood game too. Pretty much a solid team effort to grit that one out.
Hope Peavy and Sale can eat up some innings effectively the next couple days. It would be awesome to knock around their starter early as they went through their bullpen last night pretty quick. Go get em.

ChiSoxGal85
07-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Awesome to wake up and find out they won this game, as I just could not stay awake any more. Detroit and Cleveland both won yesterday and that makes it so much sweeter. Love this team - even when stuff doesn't go their way or someone screws up, they just keep battling back.

Hitmen77
07-14-2012, 10:27 AM
I missed most of the early part of the game, so I didn't see Quintana pitch. But looking at the box score, it looks like he didn't have a great outing: 5 IP, 5 ER. How was he out there. Was KC hitting him hard?

hawkjt
07-14-2012, 10:31 AM
I missed most of the early part of the game, so I didn't see Quintana pitch. But looking at the box score, it looks like he didn't have a great outing: 5 IP, 5 ER. How was he out there. Was KC hitting him hard?

Jose did not have his normal command....similar to the Yankee start. He hung in there,and could have won the game,like the Yankee game, if Jones does not give it up in the 8th.

Jose is a different pitcher out of the stretch,I think that is clear.
He needs to keep guys off base to really get in rythmn.
It is KC....they hit the Sox,period,so not too worried.

kevingrt
07-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Jose did not have his normal command....similar to the Yankee start. He hung in there,and could have won the game,like the Yankee game, if Jones does not give it up in the 8th.

Jose is a different pitcher out of the stretch,I think that is clear.
He needs to keep guys off base to really get in rythmn.
It is KC....they hit the Sox,period,so not too worried.

I completely agree. Jose Q looks to be very much of a rhythm pitcher which is not uncommon for young starting pitchers. I think he will continue to improve with runners on base and pitching out of the stretch. The one thing he needs to do to continue his unprecedented success is to continue not walking guys. If he can keep his BB/9 under 2.00, which seems unlikely but heh, he should be in for a very nice second half of the seasons.

voodoochile
07-14-2012, 11:51 AM

I didn't get any MLB broadcast at all until very late in the game. I finally gave up and watched on gamecast until trying again around the 8th inning. At least I still got to watch nearly an entire game...:tongue:

MetroPD
07-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Paulie looks like he is absolutely lost up there at the plate. I'm not sure what the deal is, but hopefully he can somewhat rebound. His bat was sorely needed last night but we won none the less.

kevingrt
07-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Paulie looks like he is absolutely lost up there at the plate. I'm not sure what the deal is, but hopefully he can somewhat rebound. His bat was sorely needed last night but we won none the less.

I think his wrist is very much bothering him. I'm not a doctor though.

delben91
07-14-2012, 12:44 PM
I think his wrist is very much bothering him. I'm not a doctor though.

That doesn't stop a lot of folks on here from making definitive medical diagnoses, so I say go for it! :cool:

Zisk77
07-14-2012, 01:03 PM
Finally, someone in MLB sells the inward turn (instead of going through the motions) and picks a guy off second. We get abouy 20 guys a year in High school with that move.

It was 2005 when Marte tagged runner out at home on wp.

JB98
07-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Probably not ideal to blow out the entire bullpen the first game of a long trip, but it's a little easier to stomach that when you walk away with a win.

The last few years, the Sox have had trouble closing games against the Royals - especially down there. Kansas City has a good approach at the plate and seems to find the holes against us, for whatever reason.

Even when we beat the Royals, it's a battle.

TomBradley72
07-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Looks like this will be a hell of a rollercoaster ride through the second half- a group of very gutsy (Septimo's pick off at 2nd in late in a tight game, Axelrod scooping Paulie's throw on the run) but but very inexperienced rookies in the pen.

Looks like we got a decent arm in the Ozzie Guillen "trade"- Ventura/Marinez in exchange for the Ozzie Guillen circus moving to Miami is almost as a good of a deal as Youk for Stewart/Lillibridge.

GoGoCrede
07-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Now that I'm actually coherent (some of my posts in the gamethread were really out there), gotta say it was pretty exciting. And definitely one of those games that other years' teams would have lost. A quality I've noticed in recent years is the team's ability to persevere, and bounce back. Those are good qualities to have in the playoffs. :wink:

Also, sucks for the KC fans who were mostly there for the fireworks. The kids must have gotten restless.

Quentin08
07-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Went to bed in the bottom of the 11th with bases loaded and only 1 out. Fully expected a loss. The first thing I did when I woke up this morning was reach for the remote and turn on the tv, and right away I saw the final score on the ticker on the bottom of the screen. Great feeling!

kittle42
07-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Finally, someone in MLB sells the inward turn (instead of going through the motions) and picks a guy off second. We get abouy 20 guys a year in High school with that move.

It was 2005 when Marte tagged runner out at home on wp.

They mentioned on the radio that the team was out there at 2pm working on pickoffs - and of course mentioned how sorely needed that was the last few seasons. Ozzie...cough....

BigKlu59
07-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Now that I'm actually coherent (some of my posts in the gamethread were really out there), gotta say it was pretty exciting. And definitely one of those games that other years' teams would have lost. A quality I've noticed in recent years is the team's ability to persevere, and bounce back. Those are good qualities to have in the playoffs. :wink:

Also, sucks for the KC fans who were mostly there for the fireworks. The kids must have gotten restless.

This... Tough spot for Reed keeping the ball in the infield and still losing the save... Tough play at the plate, but oh well.. If you're gonna win it all you have to win games like this..Its a good thing we picked up Youk when we did..This guy has never say die written all over himself...

Keep the train rolling and get thru this stretch..

BK59

voodoochile
07-14-2012, 04:30 PM

Wonder if they are even allowed to set off a massive fireworks display at 12:45 AM local time or whatever.

The stadium area is fairly remotely located so probably but I doubt the Sox would be allowed to.

jdm2662
07-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Wonder if they are even allowed to set off a massive fireworks display at 12:45 AM local time or whatever.

The stadium area is fairly remotely located so probably but I doubt the Sox would be allowed to.

I think I heard the sox have a midnight curfew for fireworks, but don't quote me on it. Kaufman is not in a residential area, so they might have still been able to show them.

aryzner
07-14-2012, 04:58 PM
I haven't read the whole thread and I don't know if this has been said by others, but in previous years when the Sox would go into extras in an away game, I was almost certain they lose. This year, it's different. I always felt they had a chance and they showed me that they did.

central44
07-14-2012, 05:20 PM
I haven't read the whole thread and I don't know if this has been said by others, but in previous years when the Sox would go into extras in an away game, I was almost certain they lose. This year, it's different. I always felt they had a chance and they showed me that they did.

Yup. If KC erases a 3-0 deficit last season, it's game over. The Sox would hang their heads and pack it in, there was no fight.

I'm guessing a lot of that mentality has to do with the manager.

voodoochile
07-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Yup. If KC erases a 3-0 deficit last season, it's game over. The Sox would hang their heads and pack it in, there was no fight.

I'm guessing a lot of that mentality has to do with the manager.

There's also 4 veterans on this team who want to prove they aren't done and a bunch of kids who want to show they belong. There's a lot of reasons beyond the coaching staff change for this team to be fighting tooth and nail. In addition I think Robin is doing a heck of a job and lets not forget he wants to prove he belongs in a dugout too.

Take a team off to a hot first half when they were all but written off for dead before the season started throw in a bunch of the aforementioned stuff and you've got a good recipe for a team that isn't going to role over and play dead. More so since all of those veterans are running hot.

ChiSoxGal85
07-14-2012, 06:59 PM
It doesn't even really matter to me why this team fights back, although it's interesting to speculate. Just the fact that they do means they are SO much more fun to watch than last year. :bandance:

chicagowhitesox1
07-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Nice double by De Aza driving in Beckham.