07-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Source? Link?

kittle42
07-13-2012, 03:26 PM
Trolling?

DonnieDarko
07-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Any hear anything about this?

Google produced nothing. So unless you're asking a pure question, I have to assume that you're trolling.

Madvora
07-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Google produced nothing. So unless you're asking a pure question, I have to assume that you're trolling.

What does Google know. I put my faith in Larry.

doublem23
07-13-2012, 04:14 PM
What does Google know. I put my faith in Larry.

I'm withholding judgment until I heat from someone at the airport on a cell phone

jdm2662
07-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Seriously? In this day an age, it takes one click to find out if something is real or bull****. :dtroll:

jdm2662
07-13-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm withholding judgment until I heat from someone at the airport on a cell phone

I will ask my son when I pick him up if he's heard anything. He just turned three months and has all the inside info...

kittle42
07-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Seriously? In this day an age, it takes one click to find out if something is real or bull****. :dtroll:

Seriously. And on another note, I ****ing hate when people come to message boards and ask for something it would take them 10 seconds to find themselves. I envision someone constantly refreshing WSI for info on where to find something instead of taking one iota of effort to find it themselves.

HomeFish
07-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Every contending team has online fans who are CONVINCED that they are about to get Ryan Dempster in a trade in exchange for the least favorite utility player on the 25 man roster.

Wedema
07-13-2012, 05:35 PM
Every contending team has online fans who are CONVINCED that they are about to get Ryan Dempster in a trade in exchange for the least favorite utility player on the 25 man roster.

So, the deal is Dempster for Orlando Hudson then?

SOXfnNlansing
07-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Waiting for Oscar to chime in :redneck

Hitmen77
07-13-2012, 06:03 PM

Perhaps someone at the Cairo airport?
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-white-sox-gm-spends-allstar-break-in-egypt-20120713,0,7368024.story

Brian26
07-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Waiting for Oscar to chime in :redneck

Took me a moment - you mean Otis, I think.

Before Otis, there was HSC. She had some good scoops.

Tragg
07-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Any hear anything about this?

No, and I hope I never do.

NardiWasHere
07-13-2012, 09:15 PM

Years later and countless variations of the same joke... I still smile.

chaotic8512
07-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Perhaps there is something there. I'm not holding my breath, and I don't think he'd do as well in the AL. That being said, if the opportunity is there to get the ML ERA leader and keep him away from the Tigers/Indians, you take it.

Sources: White Sox interested in Dempster (http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/8166795/new-york-yankees-chicago-white-sox-clubs-interested-trading-ryan-dempster-chicago-cubs)

Frater Perdurabo
07-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Perhaps there is something there. I'm not holding my breath, and I don't think he'd do as well in the AL. That being said, if the opportunity is there to get the ML ERA leader and keep him away from the Tigers/Indians, you take it.

Sources: White Sox interested in Dempster (http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/8166795/new-york-yankees-chicago-white-sox-clubs-interested-trading-ryan-dempster-chicago-cubs)

Thank you for the link.

The story reports the Cubs want pitching prospects and a highly-regarded 3B prospect. I think the Sox have lots of the former but not much of the latter.

Boondock Saint
07-14-2012, 09:55 PM
Thank you for the link.

The story reports the Cubs want pitching prospects and a highly-regarded 3B prospect. I think the Sox have lots of the former but not much of the latter.

Has something happened with Josh Vitters? I figured with how high up he was drafted and how long it's been since that draft, he'd be ready to come up sometime soon. But then again, that's just me assuming, having no idea of how he's done in the minors, or if he is or had been injured.

DumpJerry
07-14-2012, 10:44 PM

I would love for him to be with the Kitties. He is horrendous in AL parks.

sullythered
07-15-2012, 01:31 AM
Has something happened with Josh Vitters? I figured with how high up he was drafted and how long it's been since that draft, he'd be ready to come up sometime soon. But then again, that's just me assuming, having no idea of how he's done in the minors, or if he is or had been injured.
He had underachieved until this season. He is actually doing quite well this year, and is still young enough (22) to be considered a prospect.

voodoochile
07-15-2012, 01:46 AM
Thank you for the link.

Sign Youk to a 2 year extension and give them Morel.

WHAT?!??!? :tongue:

ZombieRob
07-15-2012, 03:43 AM
How much bargaining to the Cubs have? All the contenders know they are shopping him. Would they really give up a ton to get this guy knowing the Cubs are looking to move him?

central44
07-15-2012, 04:26 AM
How much bargaining to the Cubs have? All the contenders know they are shopping him. Would they really give up a ton to get this guy knowing the Cubs are looking to move him?

I definitely think they would, as long as they know other teams are interested.

I doubt that Dempster is worth a #1 starter package unless someone is desperate enough to overpay--although I guess if i'm the Yankees or Tigers, I am.

Brian26
07-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Would you give up Jared Mitchell straightup for Dempster?

kittle42
07-15-2012, 10:20 AM

I really do not mean to be an ass with the question, but you do know how the trade deadline works every year?

guillensdisciple
07-15-2012, 10:21 AM

Nopee

I understand that he might just be a correy Patterson but that whole speed and power bit he has going right now is wayyyy too good to pass up on.

kittle42
07-15-2012, 10:21 AM

Yup.

ZombieRob
07-15-2012, 11:06 AM
I really do not mean to be an ass with the question, but you do know how the trade deadline works every year?
I also know it depends on the circumstance. Teams know the Cubs are desperate for prospects and looking to dump salary. Team like our Sox, I don't thik are desperate enough to give the Cubs a ton of top tier prospects for a guy that's going to pitch 8 or 9 starts and walk. Tigers, Yankee and Red Sox IIRC don't have much left in the cupboard as well. I do think he'll be moved, but he want get the rewards the Cubs are expecting.

07-15-2012, 11:09 AM

Absolutely.

kittle42
07-15-2012, 11:17 AM
I also know it depends on the circumstance. Teams know the Cubs are desperate for prospects and looking to dump salary. Team like our Sox, I don't thik are desperate enough to give the Cubs a ton of top tier prospects for a guy that's going to pitch 8 or 9 starts and walk. Tigers, Yankee and Red Sox IIRC don't have much left in the cupboard as well. I do think he'll be moved, but he want get the rewards the Cubs are expecting.

In your opinion, is he any different than Greinke and, if not, will the Brewers also not get much of a return?

Tragg
07-15-2012, 12:12 PM

Hell no.

Cliff Lee netted Seattle one top (but not elite) prospect, a solid prospect and a few scrubs. And that's WITH the draft choice attached. Dumpster's an average pitcher having a great year. If you consider Mitchell a B, that's overpaying for Dumpster.
And Mitchell may be a B, but he's our best, the timing works perfectly with Rios' contract expiration, and he still doesn't have much minor league experience (under 2 years).

DrCrawdad
07-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Hell no.

Cliff Lee netted Seattle one top (but not elite) prospect, a solid prospect and a few scrubs. And that's WITH the draft choice attached. Dumpster's an average pitcher having a great year. If you consider Mitchell a B, that's overpaying for Dumpster.
And Mitchell may be a B, but he's our best, the timing works perfectly with Rios' contract expiration, and he still doesn't have much minor league experience (under 2 years).

Dempster scares me in two ways.

1. Sox trade for Dempster and he quickly reverts to what some Cubbie fans called him, Dumpster, and he spoils the Sox down the stretch playoff run.

2. Dempster goes to the Indians or Tigers and does great and helps them get to the post-season over the Sox. Or Dempster ends up on a post-season opponent of the Sox and he helps the Sox opponent stop the Sox.

(Yes, I could divide #2 in to two parts, but I see them as much of the same = he blocks the Sox.)

ZombieRob
07-15-2012, 01:55 PM
In your opinion, is he any different than Greinke and, if not, will the Brewers also not get much of a return?
Grienke was much younger and a Cy young winner. Dempster is having a career year and has been on the disabled list once already this year. Maybe you're right. Maybe he will garner a haul in return. I think the Cubs could get some nice pieces for him, but I sure has hell wouldn't give up the farm to get him like I think Cubs fans are expecting.

Tragg
07-15-2012, 01:56 PM
We're so thin, that we just don't have the player resources to reasonably acquire Dempster (I'll be nice) - the opportunity cost is really high for us. And we may be getting a Humber anyway, which is a high price for a minor upgrade.
On the other hand, we could get an upgrade for a bench bat for virtually nothing (better hitters than Hudson are available for free).

WhiteSox5187
07-15-2012, 02:59 PM
We're so thin, that we just don't have the player resources to reasonably acquire Dempster (I'll be nice) - the opportunity cost is really high for us. And we may be getting a Humber anyway, which is a high price for a minor upgrade.
On the other hand, we could get an upgrade for a bench bat for virtually nothing (better hitters than Hudson are available for free).

While I agree that we don't have the resources to acquire Dempster it is worth pointing out that he has 10/5 rights now and the new CBA doesn't offer the Cubs an compensation if Dempster walks at the end of the year, if Dempster wants to stay in Chicago odds are something can be worked out by forcing the Cubs hand.

I was on the fence about Dempster coming here initially but with Danks potentially lost for the season and Floyd's arm now starting to bother him I am starting to come around to the idea of the Sox trying to get him.

Brian26
07-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Funny, one person thinks Mitchell would be an overpayment for Dempster, another person doesn't think we have the resources combined in the system to put together a package for Dempster.

Brian26
07-15-2012, 03:03 PM
While I agree that we don't have the resources to acquire Dempster

The Sox have the resources, its just a matter of determining what to trade and if anyone comes off the major league roster.

forrestg
07-15-2012, 03:08 PM
While I agree that we don't have the resources to acquire Dempster it is worth pointing out that he has 10/5 rights now and the new CBA doesn't offer the Cubs an compensation if Dempster walks at the end of the year, if Dempster wants to stay in Chicago odds are something can be worked out by forcing the Cubs hand.

I was on the fence about Dempster coming here initially but with Danks potentially lost for the season and Floyd's arm now starting to bother him I am starting to come around to the idea of the Sox trying to get him.
I think it will happen. He probably won't sign an extension to keep his options open. It is his choice.

Frater Perdurabo
07-15-2012, 03:19 PM
I would not trade Mitchell for Dempster. OTOH, the Cubs may not consider trading Dempster to the Sox for less than Mitchell.

Tragg
07-15-2012, 04:38 PM
I know - that's why the price is even smaller, because renters used to get the player for 2 months plus a draft choice. Now they don't get the choice.
Like I said above, the Rangers got Cliff Lee who is far, far superior to Dempster PLUS a draft pick, for an A and a B prospect. If the price for Dempster is a solid B prospect, that's too high.

Noneck
07-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Dont forget about the almost 5M Dempster will be owed for 2 months work.

Tragg
07-15-2012, 05:47 PM
We have the resources to get anyone we want. But I always think about the future years. That's why Youk was one of the few trades I liked. We lost a no-value utility infielder plus a failed prospect.

Right now, we have one legitimate position prospect that will be ML ready within 2 years.

Is Dempster better than Edwin Jackson?

It's going to be interesting to see the extent to which the price contracts due to the lack of draft pick going to the acquiring club.

kittle42
07-15-2012, 11:16 PM
Grienke was much younger and a Cy young winner. Dempster is having a career year and has been on the disabled list once already this year. Maybe you're right. Maybe he will garner a haul in return. I think the Cubs could get some nice pieces for him, but I sure has hell wouldn't give up the farm to get him like I think Cubs fans are expecting.

They are both rent-a-players and Dempster is the superior player this season aside from the injury.

WhiteSox5187
07-15-2012, 11:36 PM
They are both rent-a-players and Dempster is the superior player this season aside from the injury.

Dempster is clearly having the better season but Greinke's previous success against the AL might make him slightly more appealing as a rent a player for an AL team.

fusillirob1983
07-16-2012, 12:31 AM
Years later and countless variations of the same joke... I still smile.

Same hear. Hard to believe that joke is almost 8 years old.

DrCrawdad
07-16-2012, 01:06 AM

That aside is huge, IMHO, as it could easily have Dempster sitting and missing a portion of his scheduled starts the remainder of this season.

I don't recall the details at the moment but in the immediate aftermath I seem to recall Dempster dissing the Sox regarding the 2005 World Series Championship.

soltrain21
07-16-2012, 10:56 AM
That aside is huge, IMHO, as it could easily have Dempster sitting and missing a portion of his scheduled starts the remainder of this season.

I don't recall the details at the moment but in the immediate aftermath I seem to recall Dempster dissing the Sox regarding the 2005 World Series Championship.

Who cares?

kittle42
07-16-2012, 11:30 AM

Which pretty much has nothing to do with whether or not the Sox should want him. They should.

Morning reports say Dodgers and Tigers most "serious."

Noneck
07-16-2012, 11:51 AM
I keep thinking that since the ball is in Dempsters court, that the Sox have a shot. Being a 10-5 guy he can nix any deal, I could see him going to Yanks if they wanted him but the tigers or dodgers have no better chance of making it to playoffs than the Sox. By staying with the Sox he wouldnt have to move his family till next year. Basically his or his family's life wouldnt change. This would enable the Sox to low ball the cubs and would put the cubs in between a rock and a hard place. Take something or force the cubs to offer arbitration (with the possiblity of dempster accepting it) or get nothing. We will see soon how it plays out.

Foulke You
07-16-2012, 12:27 PM

I distinctly remember everyone's favorite ex-Cub, Michael Barrett after the WS parade commenting about it. "They are parading down our streets" or something to that effect. However, I don't recall anything specific said by Dempster. It is possible though.

WhiteSox5187
07-16-2012, 04:06 PM
I distinctly remember everyone's favorite ex-Cub, Michael Barrett after the WS parade commenting about it. "They are parading down our streets" or something to that effect. However, I don't recall anything specific said by Dempster. It is possible though.

I am pretty sure that it was Bob Howry who said that, not Michael Barrett.

mahagga73
07-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Cubs fans thinking that one of their players is better or more valuable than they actually are,no way.:rolleyes:

sox1970
07-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Cubs fans thinking that one of their players is better or more valuable than they actually are,no way.:rolleyes:

Insert any team name, including the White Sox.

mahagga73
07-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Insert any team name, including the White Sox.
I don't think like that,I still can't believe anybody would want either Stewart of Liilibridge. i think this Rizzo mania about says it all about Cubs fans . A twice traded prospect, going to the hall of fame without playing a game with the major league team.

kittle42
07-16-2012, 04:55 PM
I don't think like that,I still can't believe anybody would want either Stewart of Liilibridge. i think this Rizzo mania about says it all about Cubs fans . A twice traded prospect, going to the hall of fame without playing a game with the major league team.

I seem to recall Paul Konerko being twice traded....

TheVulture
07-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Sir Megadeth Cantaloupe

Anagram of 'Speculation Megathread'.

Or better yet: Nuclear Megadeth Patios

mahagga73
07-16-2012, 05:14 PM
I seem to recall Paul Konerko being twice traded....
Rizzo's like 28 years old already. Konerko's story is extremely uncommon. He was a player that made himself better .He was a decent prospect,nothing like what he became.

fusillirob1983
07-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Rizzo's like 28 years old already. Konerko's story is extremely uncommon. He was a player that made himself better .He was a decent prospect,nothing like what he became.

That's LaHair, who is 29. Rizzo is 22.

TheVulture
07-16-2012, 05:17 PM
He was a decent prospect,nothing like what he became.

Aside from being ranked the #2 prospect in all of baseball in 1998, I suppose you have a point.

kittle42
07-16-2012, 05:20 PM

Rizzo is 22. Konerko was once a Top 5 prospect.

You should go for the trifecta.

TheVulture
07-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Rizzo is 22. Konerko was once a Top 5 prospect.

You should go for the trifecta.

"He was a player that made himself better."

At least he got that part right.

kittle42
07-16-2012, 05:26 PM
"He was a player that made himself better."

At least he got that part right.

Can't argue with that!

DrCrawdad
07-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Which pretty much has nothing to do with whether or not the Sox should want him. They should.

Morning reports say Dodgers and Tigers most "serious."

Dempster is having a great season. He's been mediocre in other years. I hope he goes to the Tigers and reverts to form as "Dumpster."

SOXSINCE'70
07-17-2012, 09:11 AM
I will ask my son when I pick him up if he's heard anything. He just turned three months and has all the inside info...

That puts him ahead of most "mediots" like Joe "Coward" Cowley.:angry:

Foulke You
07-17-2012, 11:57 AM
I am pretty sure that it was Bob Howry who said that, not Michael Barrett.
An old WSI article from Hal Vickery has the answer. It was indeed Barrett who made the "parading down our streets" comment. Howry rambled about the Cubs being more popular and that it was still a Cubs town. I have a feeling that Hal would have mentioned a Dempster quote in this article had he said anything around that time. Here is the article with the actual quotes from both players:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?id=3061&category=2

Uncle_Patrick
07-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Take it for what it is, but a couple weeks ago on Chicago Tribune Live, Kaplan stated that he was positive that Dempster would never agree to be traded to the Sox. The other guests asked Kaplan if he had any inside info and he just grinned, but he claimed that Dempster knew what the "rivalry" meant to the fans and would not go across town. Again, it's Kaplan, and he may just be speaking to his own heart's desire.

WhiteSox5187
07-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Take it for what it is, but a couple weeks ago on Chicago Tribune Live, Kaplan stated that he was positive that Dempster would never agree to be traded to the Sox. The other guests asked Kaplan if he had any inside info and he just grinned, but he claimed that Dempster knew what the "rivalry" meant to the fans and would not go across town. Again, it's Kaplan, and he may just be speaking to his own heart's desire.

This is called "wishful thinking" and also a case of "denial" on the part of Mr. Kaplan. He is best served by continuing to cover what he knows, namely where athletes got their dinner the night before.

DrCrawdad
07-17-2012, 07:21 PM

This is called "wishful thinking" and also a case of "denial" on the part of Mr. Kaplan. He is best served by continuing to cover what he knows, namely where athletes got their dinner the night before.

Kraplan is such a tool! Imagine if a Sox fan broadcaster repeatedly took swipes like this towards the Cubbies. There would be howls of protest by Cubbie fans. Howls of the inferiority/little brother/chip on the shoulder complex B.S.

I still can't believe that Comcast thought to put Kraplan on White Sox pre and post games at one time.

Part of me would like to see Dumpster on the Sox if only to make Kraplan eat some crow.

kittle42
07-18-2012, 12:13 AM
Part of me would like to see Dumpster on the Sox if only to make Kraplan eat some crow.

I'd like to see him on the Sox so you'd stop calling him Dumpster.

Tragg
07-18-2012, 12:55 AM
dempster is having a great season. He's been mediocre in other years. I hope he goes to the tigers and reverts to form as "dumpster."

+1

DrCrawdad
07-18-2012, 01:03 AM
I'd like to see him on the Sox so you'd stop calling him Dumpster.

Am I hurting your feelings? Oh, so sorry if I offended you. Here let me help, try one of these ...

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTW_a6r2pDMlVoQ5pXMmrbHR7Fpl2XfL FEmmmFTVh7vzRslHHv5HQ

MUsoxfan
07-18-2012, 01:10 AM
Am I hurting your feelings? Oh, so sorry if I offended you. Here let me help, try one of these ...

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTW_a6r2pDMlVoQ5pXMmrbHR7Fpl2XfL FEmmmFTVh7vzRslHHv5HQ

From everything I can tell, he's really an upstanding guy. It just seems unnecessary

kittle42
07-18-2012, 01:11 AM
From everything I can tell, he's really an upstanding guy. It just seems unnecessary

Right. It's just childish, and I know a thing or two about childishness.

doublem23
07-18-2012, 01:12 AM

I don't think anyone has a problem with nicknames, just lame nicknames.

DrCrawdad
07-18-2012, 01:12 AM

Who? Dumpster or kittle42? Don't like the name Dumpster? It's one invented by Cubbie fans. Wear it.

MUsoxfan
07-18-2012, 01:14 AM
Who? Dumpster or kittle42? Don't like the name Dumpster? It's one invented by Cubbie fans. Wear it.

It's just not fun, nor is it funny

kittle42
07-18-2012, 01:14 AM

Right.

kittle42
07-18-2012, 01:15 AM
It's just not fun, nor is it funny

http://www.zazzle.com/its_not_funny_its_not_fun_tees-235847598616784556

DSpivack
07-18-2012, 01:21 AM
http://www.zazzle.com/its_not_funny_its_not_fun_tees-235847598616784556

Dempster St. runs throughout the near northern suburbs. When I was growing up, it seemed that it was always under construction, so we called it Dumpster. That's the only thing I associate with it in my mind: a street under construction.

As for the pitcher and the nickname, it offends only my sense of humor.

DrCrawdad
07-18-2012, 01:26 AM
Dempster's been called Dumpster here at WSI at least as far back as 2005 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=624120&postcount=19). Sorry kittle42 if it tarnishes the image of one of your heroes.

MUsoxfan
07-18-2012, 01:31 AM
Dempster's been called Dumpster here at WSI at least as far back as 2005 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=624120&postcount=19). Sorry kittle42 if it tarnishes the image of one of your heroes.

I have no problem with any person in the world being called names if they're clever or funny. This one is neither. Work on a better one and come back to us

kittle42
07-18-2012, 01:47 AM
Dempster's been called Dumpster here at WSI at least as far back as 2005 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=624120&postcount=19).

Dr. Crawdad calls Dempster a stupid name. Dr. Crawdad is told it's lame and not funny. Dr. Crawdad says, "But all the cool kids have been doing it since 2005."

OK, so this just proves that people have been unfunny for at least as far back as seven years. Thanks for continuing the legacy!

Calm down, no one is blaming you for the creation of "Dumpster," so no need to fingerpoint at prior usage.

kittle42
07-18-2012, 01:48 AM
I have no problem with any person in the world being called names if they're clever or funny. This one is neither. Work on a better one and come back to us

No, it's because it's one of my heroes, not in any way because the nickname is stupid and uncreative.

Tragg
07-18-2012, 01:54 AM
Who cares about a nickname.
The bottom line is that Dempster has a career ERA of 4.3 and a whip of 1.43 playing against NL competition and people want to put "packages" together for this decidedly mediocre player. Yea, he's having a career year - let's bank on that continuing.
He's got mediocre "stuff" is hitting the corners this year with his pitches, and likely will get torched in the Cell throwing his softballs up there.
We have pitchers like Dempster - they're named Humber and Axelrod.

DrCrawdad
07-18-2012, 02:09 AM

kittle42 and a couple others.

The bottom line is that Dempster has a career ERA of 4.3 and a whip of 1.43 playing against NL competition and people want to put "packages" together for this decidedly mediocre player. Yea, he's having a career year - let's bank on that continuing.
He's got mediocre "stuff" is hitting the corners this year with his pitches, and likely will get torched in the Cell throwing his softballs up there.

I've said close to exactly the same thing in this discussion thread. So I agree with what you're saying here. May one of the Sox opponents overpay for him and may he go on and revert to garbage with his new team.

ZombieRob
07-18-2012, 02:32 AM
Finally someone with sense. Grienke should be the main target. I just mentioned Axelrod may not be all that bad, just not on the A.L, because he pitches like an N.L pitcher. Crawdad, give it up. Just to many uptight people on here looking to complain and take the internet to seriously.

WhiteSox5187
07-18-2012, 02:47 AM

If you can consistently hit the corners you will have a pretty good year. I don't mind the Sox taking a two or three month flyer on a guy having a career year. It's not like we're talking about offering him a five year extension.

ZombieRob
07-18-2012, 03:11 AM
If you can consistently hit the corners you will have a pretty good year. I don't mind the Sox taking a two or three month flyer on a guy having a career year. It's not like we're talking about offering him a five year extension.
Theo is going to hold teams hostage from what we have been hearing. For Grienke an Ex Cy young winner and a relative young guy who's still a power pitcher sure. Dempster who lives and dies nibbling, not so much.

doublem23
07-18-2012, 06:27 AM

My feelings exactly.

Theo is going to hold teams hostage from what we have been hearing. For Grienke an Ex Cy young winner and a relative young guy who's still a power pitcher sure. Dempster who lives and dies nibbling, not so much.

Theo's got no leverage in this situation, everyone and their uncle knows the Cubs want to sell off their vets, this isn't like a Phillies situation with Hamels, where they might dump him or they might try to extend him. Plus, as has been mentioned, the Sox might be a very attractive landing spot for Dempster, as he won't have to abruptly move his family or be living in hotels for the next 8 weeks. Who knows how many places he'll even consider being traded? Oh, yeah, and Theo hasn't exactly proven to be a shrewd negotiator so far in Chicago; he got completely burned on that Zambrano deal, eating almost his entire salary and getting nothing of value in return. So we'll see.

ZombieRob
07-18-2012, 07:19 AM
My feelings exactly.

Theo's got no leverage in this situation, everyone and their uncle knows the Cubs want to sell off their vets, this isn't like a Phillies situation with Hamels, where they might dump him or they might try to extend him. Plus, as has been mentioned, the Sox might be a very attractive landing spot for Dempster, as he won't have to abruptly move his family or be living in hotels for the next 8 weeks. Who knows how many places he'll even consider being traded? Oh, yeah, and Theo hasn't exactly proven to be a shrewd negotiator so far in Chicago; he got completely burned on that Zambrano deal, eating almost his entire salary and getting nothing of value in return. So we'll see.

Exactly! Spot on. I don't know if it's the Cub writers in this town over valuing Dempster or hoping he brings a haul. Now I can see Garza who has been a bit forgotten bring in a better deal.

doublem23
07-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Exactly! Spot on. I don't know if it's the Cub writers in this town over valuing Dempster or hoping he brings a haul. Now I can see Garza who has been a bit forgotten bring in a better deal.

Definitely think Garza will end up bringing back more than Dempster. Really, I think the Dempster sweepstakes will ride on what happens to Hamels, Greinke, etc. If the Phillies and Brewers decide to hold on to their guys, then the price may be out of the Sox's range, but if Texas and Boston are able to fill their pitching needs I think the price for Dempster might be more attainable. And I know the guy's riding basically a career year right now, but he wouldn't be the first player in the history of baseball to have a fluke A+ season in an otherwise B/C career. If the Cubs just want a crap prospect and some salary relief, I wouldn't be opposed to the Sox taking a flyer on the guy. The Sox do seem to have a pretty nice stable of young, promising arms, so I don't want anything to do with him in 2013 and beyond, but I can't think of the last time a team went into the final two months of a chase for the play-offs and regretted having too many pitchers.

soxinem1
07-18-2012, 05:51 PM
Definitely think Garza will end up bringing back more than Dempster. Really, I think the Dempster sweepstakes will ride on what happens to Hamels, Greinke, etc. If the Phillies and Brewers decide to hold on to their guys, then the price may be out of the Sox's range, but if Texas and Boston are able to fill their pitching needs I think the price for Dempster might be more attainable. And I know the guy's riding basically a career year right now, but he wouldn't be the first player in the history of baseball to have a fluke A+ season in an otherwise B/C career. If the Cubs just want a crap prospect and some salary relief, I wouldn't be opposed to the Sox taking a flyer on the guy. The Sox do seem to have a pretty nice stable of young, promising arms, so I don't want anything to do with him in 2013 and beyond, but I can't think of the last time a team went into the final two months of a chase for the play-offs and regretted having too many pitchers.

We need a guy to give decent starts to finish the season. With Dempster you have the dual motivation of FA and going to a contender just a few miles away from where you currently play.

And yes, whoever said you cannot have enough pitching options?

At this point, if we lose this division, I would say starting pitching would be the culprit, not the lineup. While a veteran bullpen guy would be nice, Crain returning healthy might solve that need. We really need a solid 6-7 inning starter, because who knows what the deal with Danks, Floyd, Humber, and Quintana will be for the duration of the 2012 season.

DSpivack
07-18-2012, 07:10 PM
We need a guy to give decent starts to finish the season. With Dempster you have the dual motivation of FA and going to a contender just a few miles away from where you currently play.

And yes, whoever said you cannot have enough pitching options?

At this point, if we lose this division, I would say starting pitching would be the culprit, not the lineup. While a veteran bullpen guy would be nice, Crain returning healthy might solve that need. We really need a solid 6-7 inning starter, because who knows what the deal with Danks, Floyd, Humber, and Quintana will be for the duration of the 2012 season.

Despite his success so far this season, I remain really skeptical that Dempster would do well in the AL. That's why I'd be wary of dealing for him. Greinke is my dream, but I realize that's a pretty unrealistic one.

soxinem1
07-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Despite his success so far this season, I remain really skeptical that Dempster would do well in the AL. That's why I'd be wary of dealing for him. Greinke is my dream, but I realize that's a pretty unrealistic one.

Sure, but he is a vet and its not like he's pitching on fumes. Even though some luck is involved with Dempster's season, my point is we need an arm that can deliver some good innings.

It's not like I was clamoring for the return of Lucas Harrell, though based on his season this far he would fit nicely...............

DSpivack
07-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Sure, but he is a vet and its not like he's pitching on fumes. Even though some luck is involved with Dempster's season, my point is we need an arm that can deliver some good innings.

It's not like I was clamoring for the return of Lucas Harrell, though based on his season this far he would fit nicely...............

I read another rumor today that the White Sox were interested in Clayton Richard.

kittle42
07-18-2012, 10:53 PM
I read another rumor today that the White Sox were interested in Clayton Richard.

Yeah, I saw that on Rotoworld. Now *that's* a bad idea.

JB98
07-19-2012, 12:37 AM

I wonder if Richard still throws the ball away every single time he has to throw to a base.

SephClone89
07-19-2012, 09:59 AM

Yeah, I saw that on Rotoworld. Now *that's* a bad idea.

I'm opposed to it solely because I don't want to deal with Score callers and posters calling him "Richards" again.

cws05champ
07-19-2012, 03:40 PM

If they ship in Petco park to Chicago with him, he wouldn't be bad.

TheVulture
07-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Despite his success so far this season, I remain really skeptical that Dempster would do well in the AL. That's why I'd be wary of dealing for him.

More skeptical of Dempster doing well than Humber, Axelrod, or even Floyd and Danks at this point?

Considering Sales and Quintana keeping up the performance when they've already surpassed their career highs in IP is somewhat doubtful, and well, I know I can't be the only one holding my breath when Peavy pitches, either, I have a hard time imagining the White Sox sending out five starters now through the end of the season that are better than even a mediocre version of Dempster.

TheVulture
07-19-2012, 08:49 PM

I guess you won't be down with my suggestion of 'R-Dump', then.

KnightSox
07-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Dempster has been traded to Atlanta.

doublem23
07-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Dempster has been traded to Atlanta.

And that's all she wrote for this thread.