PDA

View Full Version : The Onion: Cubs to Remove Ivy After Outfielder Hangs Self

RKMeibalane
07-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Cubs to Remove Ivy After OF Hangs Self (http://www.theonion.com/video/cubs-finally-remove-wrigley-field-ivy-after-third,28755/)

I'm surprised someone hasn't used this material sooner. :cool:

SephClone89
07-13-2012, 12:18 PM
This is too close to me for personal reasons, but I really don't find this one funny at all.

DonnieDarko
07-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Joking about suicide isn't cool. Shame on The Onion.

kittle42
07-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Pretty much everything that is about real life out of which a joke is made has affected somebody somewhere seriously. If we can't make light of life's darkest sides, we should shut down comedy.

doublem23
07-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Joking about suicide isn't cool. Shame on The Onion.

It's The Onion, they've been doing this for years

ChiSoxFann
07-13-2012, 12:45 PM
It's The Onion, they've been doing this for years

Exactly. I see nothing wrong with what they write. I always love reading the comments on their Facebook posts when people whine about the Onion, "going too far this time." It's the ****ing Onion!!!!

NardiWasHere
07-13-2012, 09:56 PM
I love how these guys yell and roll their eyes.

Boondock Saint
07-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Pretty much everything that is about real life out of which a joke is made has affected somebody somewhere seriously. If we can't make light of life's darkest sides, we should shut down comedy.

Amen. It's perfectly fine for someone to be offended by something like this, but it's perfectly fine for other people to find amusement in it too.

Frontman
07-13-2012, 10:16 PM
I normally crack up with the Onion; but this one pushed the envelope a bit too far for me. Nothing to get all up and arms about for myself, but I think suicide is just one of those things that you can't really bring an "up" side to the humor value.

They'll do better on another joke down the road. I do say the video cracked me up, as the Jay Mariotti parody is pretty damn good from that guy.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-13-2012, 10:30 PM
I normally crack up with the Onion; but this one pushed the envelope a bit too far for me. Nothing to get all up and arms about for myself, but I think suicide is just one of those things that you can't really bring an "up" side to the humor value.

They'll do better on another joke down the road. I do say the video cracked me up, as the Jay Mariotti parody is pretty damn good from that guy.

I thought George Carlin did a great job of it with his "Who has time for suicide?" bit.

kittle42
07-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Nothing is off limits. Nothing. Unless DIRECTLY targeted at a person who suffered through something, etc.

Frontman
07-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Nothing is off limits. Nothing. Unless DIRECTLY targeted at a person who suffered through something, etc.

That's really not true, is it?

Just ask Michael Richards, Gilbert Godfried, or Mel Gibson how "nothing is off limits." While I won't put the Onion's joke on the level what their three comments were or what they cost them, there is always a line of going too far with a joke.

A. Cavatica
07-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Kudos to the Onion for finding humor in great tragedy -- and by that I mean, playing for the Cubs.

kittle42
07-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Kudos to the Onion for finding humor in great tragedy -- and by that I mean, playing for the Cubs.

Hey-oh!

Boondock Saint
07-14-2012, 07:53 PM

Just ask Michael Richards, Gilbert Godfried, or Mel Gibson how "nothing is off limits." While I won't put the Onion's joke on the level what their three comments were or what they cost them, there is always a line of going too far with a joke.

Two of those guys weren't trying to be funny in any way, and if what you're referring to in Gottfried's instance was the 9/11 joke, nobody was in the mood to find anything about that situation funny at the time. If he were to tell the same joke today, there would be a much different reaction. It's a classic example of black humor.

Frontman
07-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Two of those guys weren't trying to be funny in any way, and if what you're referring to in Gottfried's instance was the 9/11 joke, nobody was in the mood to find anything about that situation funny at the time. If he were to tell the same joke today, there would be a much different reaction. It's a classic example of black humor.

Actually, Gottfried's joke was far more recent. The Japanese earthquake and its subsequent damage to a nuclear reactor was, and probably still is, not the best source of material for humor.

And Michael Richards comments were during his stand up routine. Pretty much the time to try and be funny, so yeah, he was wrong on that too.

NardiWasHere
07-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Actually, Gottfried's joke was far more recent. The Japanese earthquake and its subsequent damage to a nuclear reactor was, and probably still is, not the best source of material for humor.

And Michael Richards comments were during his stand up routine. Pretty much the time to try and be funny, so yeah, he was wrong on that too.

Aggressively pointing and shouting the n-word at a group of black hecklers is bad. You're right. I don't know if he was trying to be funny or not, but it doesn't matter, that wasn't good.

BUT that doesn't mean "race" is off the table for other more capable comedians.

A tasteless joke or an act of racism/sexism/etc. does not take a subject matter off the table. It means that joke or that person is unfunny/bad.

There's no subject matter restrictions to comedy. If something isn't funny, it isn't funny. If something's funny, its funny.

Generally suicide is not funny. I don't think many people will disagree with that.

However, the idea that numerous cubs players are so miserable that they are resorting to suicide by hanging themselves on the ivy DURING the game is funny. Like how does no one see the players during the suicide attempt? How is the ivy strong enough to hold these men? Its completely absurd.

Boondock Saint
07-15-2012, 08:44 PM

People go to Gilbert Gottfried stand up shows knowing what to expect. If you go to one of his shows and get offended, that's on you, not him. That's like going to an Andrew Dice Clay show and getting pissed because he's a misogynist.

Just because what Richards said happened during his stand up act, it doesn't mean he was saying it to be funny. He got pissed, blew up, and went on a bigoted rampage. That's not stand up.

Frontman
07-15-2012, 08:55 PM
People go to Gilbert Gottfried stand up shows knowing what to expect. If you go to one of his shows and get offended, that's on you, not him. That's like going to an Andrew Dice Clay show and getting pissed because he's a misogynist.

Just because what Richards said happened during his stand up act, it doesn't mean he was saying it to be funny. He got pissed, blew up, and went on a bigoted rampage. That's not stand up.

Which then goes onto AFLAC's lap of why hire the guy in the first place?

There are times comments, even comedy, can go too far. That's my point.

Like I said, this one from the Onion is just not my cup of tea, and probably won't go over with too many people. That doesn't discredit previous or future comedic works by them. (And, like I said, the guy's Mariotti impression was dead-bang on, including the "raise his right hand to make a point" gesture Jay would do on ATH.)

NardiWasHere
07-15-2012, 09:03 PM

Like I said, this one from the Onion is just not my cup of tea, and probably won't go over with too many people. That doesn't discredit previous or future comedic works by them. (And, like I said, the guy's Mariotti impression was dead-bang on, including the "raise his right hand to make a point" gesture Jay would do on ATH.)

If AFLAC believes its better for their business to sever ties with him for what he says, that's fine.

You are completely right that comments can go too far.

But here's the thing, an entire subject matter is not off limits. If a comedian can make it funny, they can and should say what they want.

Rape is not funny. Daniel Tosh got in trouble for saying something to a female heckler the other day. He wasn't funny, it was weird... whatever. If people want to stop attending his shows/watch him on tv, that's totally cool. Rape is a topic that 99% of the time, isn't funny. However, in the right hands, a comedian can make a joke concerning the topic or mentioning something horrible. The first thing that comes to mind is Woody Allen's response to Diane Keaton in Annie Hall when she tells him "her grammy" gave her a gift.... "My grammy never gave gifts. She was too busy getting raped by Cossacks." That isn't offensive. Its funny. It would be a shame to not allow that because 99% of the time, there is no funny joke to be made.

Boondock Saint
07-15-2012, 09:19 PM

1) They didn't Gottfried to tell jokes. They paid him to sound like a duck. He's a very popular voice actor.

2) There are times that comedy can go too far for some. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be attempted.

TheVulture
07-16-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm dissappointed the Onion would take a stance like this. For crying out loud,
ivy doesn't kill people, playing for the Cubs kills people.

downstairs
07-16-2012, 06:16 PM

Nothing is off limits... meaning no subject matter is off limits. Its how you deliver it.

Also, Michael Richards does not belong in that list. He wasn't telling a joke, he was yelling racist terms at a heckler. Had nothing to do with comedy.

downstairs
07-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Rape is not funny.

It can be. Louis CK has told good jokes with rape as the subject. Its all how you deliver it.

NardiWasHere
07-16-2012, 08:00 PM
It can be. Louis CK has told good jokes with rape as the subject. Its all how you deliver it.

read the entire post

gobears1987
07-17-2012, 06:44 AM

Gottfried also used that as a launcher for "The Aristocrats." That has to be the first time that the joke wasn't the most shocking joke of a show.

gobears1987
07-17-2012, 06:46 AM

George Carlin had a good bit on the subject.

TheVulture
07-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Nothing is off limits... meaning no subject matter is off limits. Its how you deliver it.

Also, Michael Richards does not belong in that list. He wasn't telling a joke, he was yelling racist terms at a heckler. Had nothing to do with comedy.

And Mel Gibson!? If that guy's a comedian, the world is about as funny as a morgue.

Makes some pretty good movies occassionally, though.

MetroPD
07-22-2012, 12:43 AM
Amen. It's perfectly fine for someone to be offended by something like this, but it's perfectly fine for other people to find amusement in it too.
I agree with this. If this is personal to some, then they probably shouldn't watch it. If some find this humorous then so be it.