PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Williams and the Trade Deadline

chisoxfanatic
07-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Believe it or not, but the MLB trade deadline is now less than 3 weeks away. Kenny has already gone out and got Kevin Youkilis in a trade that has already paid off. How active do you see him being from here to the trade deadline?

delben91
07-11-2012, 06:44 PM
A pitcher of some variety will be acquired. Either a reliever or a starter if there seems to be no real recovery for Danks and they want to gain against fatigue of Sale or Quintana.

DumpJerry
07-11-2012, 07:41 PM
He'll make one deal for a player and six for churros.

Noneck
07-11-2012, 07:55 PM
This depends on too many factors that are unknown to me. Are Danks, Crain and Humber going to be healthy, Where will the Sox be in the standings in 2 weeks, Is anyone else going to get hurt in the next couple weeks, What are the advance sales for the rest of the year, Who will be available and at what cost.

kittle42
07-11-2012, 09:13 PM
In his fantasy league?

Zisk77
07-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Sox have interest in Kurt Suzuki. I think Kenny get 1 releiver or 2 and maybe a Geoff Blume type acquistion. We could use some right handed pop of the bench.

DonnieDarko
07-12-2012, 07:44 AM
Kurt Suzuki? Sign me up. I mean, he's older now, but he must still have something left in the tank...

And I think that a veteran reliever in the bullpen is very important and should be priority #1.

Thome25
07-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Kenny can *try* to make a deal or two before the deadline but, realistically what does he have of value that another team would want at this point?

Very little IMO.

doublem23
07-12-2012, 08:12 AM
Kenny can *try* to make a deal or two before the deadline but, realistically what does he have of value that another team would want at this point?

Very little IMO.

It's very hard to reconcile the notion that the Sox's farm system is bare with the reality that in 2012, the Sox minor league development has probably been the most productive in the Majors. I've learned by this point to know that whenever I feel like I've figured out what KW will do next, he pulls a rabbit out of his hat.

delben91
07-12-2012, 08:41 AM

Very little IMO.

About the same as when he got Youkilis from Boston for next to nothing.

Like MM said, KW always finds a way to surprise (though not always the good kind of surprises...)

tstrike2000
07-12-2012, 09:19 AM
A veteran pitcher of some sort I would guess, but who knows.

34 Inch Stick
07-12-2012, 09:27 AM

Very little IMO.

Salary relief. I don't think he will make any big moves. I hope he is looking for experienced pinch hitters as their is no one on the Sox bench I want coming in cold to hit in the 8th inning of a playoff run. You can get that kind of guy for salary relief and an A ball non prospect.

rdivaldi
07-12-2012, 09:32 AM

Very little IMO.

The farm system may not have many day 1 ready major leaguers at this point, but there are a quite a few players in A and AA ball that have good trade value at this point of the season. Sometimes perception becomes reality and that's what has happened to the Sox farm system. A couple of bad years and a bunch of blowholes trumpeting a "bare cupboard" from the mountaintops created the myth. Regardless, I'd prefer KW hold off on making trades unless our health doesn't hold up.

kevingrt
07-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Think KW makes one move for a veteran bullpen hand and that is it. Hey, maybe we get Jason Frasor back?

DonnieDarko
07-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Think KW makes one move for a veteran bullpen hand and that is it. Hey, maybe we get Jason Frasor back?

I wouldn't mind that at all. In all honesty, I don't know why we didn't resign him in the first place...

russ99
07-12-2012, 09:47 AM

Not a fan of Frasor, but we do need another veteran arm in the pen, even if Crain comes back healthy.

asindc
07-12-2012, 10:10 AM
I wouldn't mind that at all. In all honesty, I don't know why we didn't resign him in the first place...

I don't know if KW offered him a contract, but what I read is that he wanted to go back to Toronto. Doesn't mean he won't accept (if he is in a position to decide) a trade back here. Either way, I agree with most that we need at least one more veteran reliever, regardless of Crain's status.

As for what KW has to offer, a month ago most people on the interwebs did not think he had enough to get Youk. I've learned to just stay tuned...

amsteel
07-12-2012, 10:16 AM

Because the first one won't work out (Orlando Hudson), and the second one will fix the first (Youk).

chisoxfanatic
07-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Not a fan of Frasor, but we do need another veteran arm in the pen, even if Crain comes back healthy.
Does anyone know Crain's current status?

Hitmen77
07-12-2012, 10:23 AM
I can see him trading for a serviceable starting pitcher....but I don't expect anything like Greinke - just someone who can pass as a 5th starter. He could trade for a reliever too.

voodoochile
07-12-2012, 10:34 AM
It's very hard to reconcile the notion that the Sox's farm system is bare with the reality that in 2012, the Sox minor league development has probably been the most productive in the Majors. I've learned by this point to know that whenever I feel like I've figured out what KW will do next, he pulls a rabbit out of his hat.

In addition, teams who are willing to part with players at the deadline are normally doing so to save money and don't care as much about the return they get. Take a flier on a few A lvl players who may develop down the road. Whether the Sox have any close to ready prospects to trade probably won't matter in the slightest.

wilburaga
07-12-2012, 11:05 AM

The Sox did re-sign him. Then they salary dumped him back to the Jays for a couple of minor leaguers.

doublem23
07-12-2012, 11:20 AM
The Sox did re-sign him. Then they salary dumped him back to the Jays for a couple of minor leaguers.

Well, they picked up his option, basically the same thing, but he never actually hit free agency

MushMouth
07-12-2012, 12:46 PM
What's Bartolo Colon up to this year? :D:

doublem23
07-12-2012, 12:56 PM
What's Bartolo Colon up to this year? :D:

He's having a decent season in Oakland, but I'm always skeptical of how those A's pitchers will work once they're away from that comically pitcher-friendly park they play in.

kufram
07-13-2012, 05:41 AM
I would have picked all of the above.... With KW any of the choices are possible. I would not be very surprised if he went for a big name starter. We have a couple back end starting pitchers, so why get another one? I don't expect him to do that, but it would not shock me if he did.

white sox bill
07-13-2012, 06:31 AM
Me voted at least one, probably a vet. releiver thats old enough to :gulp:

Tragg
07-13-2012, 11:29 AM
I can see him trading for a serviceable starting pitcher....but I don't expect anything like Greinke - just someone who can pass as a 5th starter. He could trade for a reliever too.That's why we need Danks and Crain back so badly. They're better than serviceable and won't cost us any of the few prospects we have.

Foulke You
07-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Me voted at least one, probably a vet. releiver thats old enough to :gulp:
I would like a veteran right handed reliever. In light of Crain's off and on health status this year, it would be good to add depth there. I'm imagining a bases loaded 1 out inning in a towel waving playoff atmosphere and would feel a lot more comfortable handing the ball to a veteran to get out of the jam. It would be great if Kenny could add an impact set up guy. The Brewers supposedly are listening to offers for Francisco Rodriguez. He is a giant d-bag but he can still pitch.

Foulke You
07-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Does anyone know Crain's current status?
He is on the 15 day DL as of 6/24 with some shoulder inflammation. The last I heard was that they didn't think it was serious but he might need a rehab appearance in the minors before coming back. This is trip #2 to the DL this year for Crain. First one was for an oblique strain.

Lip Man 1
07-15-2012, 09:27 PM
This and That:

Crain said he feels fine after making 30 throws Sunday. Says he's on target to return to the active roster for the Twins series in Chicago next week.

Talked to Gonzo and others tonight and from what they say the Sox are actively looking and talking to Milwaukee for Grienke or Minnesota for Liriano. Haven't heard anything about Dempster or Garza.

That doesn't mean they aren't looking / talking, just that I and the folks I communicated with tonight haven't heard anything about it.

Was also told the Sox are "pushing hard" for veteran relief help.

Kenny obviously feels that help is needed and thinks he has the chips to play poker as the deadline approaches.

Lip

balke
07-15-2012, 11:01 PM
Talked to Gonzo and others tonight and from what they say the Sox are actively looking and talking to Milwaukee for Grienke or Minnesota for Liriano. Haven't heard anything about Dempster or Garza.

Lip

They'd have to give up something big for Greinke. Mitchell/Viciedo/Jordan Danks plus pitching i'm guessing. I see Sanchez is doing well too.

(Note: Meaning one of those players. +6.5 mil is a lot though maybe they wouldn't have to give up that much talent.)

Can't see the Sox talking to the Cubs.

Boondock Saint
07-15-2012, 11:09 PM
They'd have to give up something big for Greinke. Mitchell/Viciedo/Jordan Danks plus pitching i'm guessing. I see Sanchez is doing well too.

Can't see the Sox talking to the Cubs.

For a 1 1/2 year rental? **** all that noise.

Tragg
07-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Agree - enough of that stuff. Those trades have failed repeatedly.
Trade for middle relievers haven't exactly been exemplary either.
We're short a bat as it is and to trade promising hitters like Vic for past their prime pitchers. Come on.

doublem23
07-16-2012, 12:03 AM
Doesn't the new CBA get rid of free agency compensation for FA lost who were acquired within the season? Should help drive some of the prices down on trade deadline acquisitions

rdivaldi
07-16-2012, 12:08 AM
Doesn't the new CBA get rid of free agency compensation for FA lost who were acquired within the season? Should help drive some of the prices down on trade deadline acquisitions

No, but the overall rules have changed:

The current compensation system for losing "Type A" and "Type B" free agents will be eliminated. Under the new system, teams will receive compensation for losing a free agent only if they offer -- and the player rejects -- a guaranteed one-year contract equal to the average salary of the league's 125 highest-paid players (This figure is currently $12.4 million). Compensation for losing such players will consist of one Draft pick at the end of the first round.
When clubs sign a compensation-eligible player, they will forfeit their own first-round selection, or their second-round selection if they pick in the top 10.

sullythered
07-16-2012, 01:08 AM
I have an itchy feeling that Greinke is gonna be a Sox, and I don't think it will take Tank to make it happen. My thought Castro/Mitchell/one of our young fireballers out of the pen.

voodoochile
07-16-2012, 01:10 AM

I'd do Humber and Jordan Danks in a heartbeat if it would be enough. Maybe throw in Axelrod if they want him. Not sure that's enough but it would get us in the room I'd think.

Boondock Saint
07-16-2012, 03:04 AM
I'd do Humber and Jordan Danks in a heartbeat if it would be enough. Maybe throw in Axelrod if they want him. Not sure that's enough but it would get us in the room I'd think.

If that gets it done, I'm all for it. But I feel that someone's going to break the bank for him, and the cost is going to be a hell of a lot more than that.

WhiteSox5187
07-16-2012, 03:10 AM

I would too but then you are still stuck with Axelrod or someone else getting a lot of starts down the stretch unless Danks can come back 100%.

ChiTownTrojan
07-16-2012, 07:38 AM
I would too but then you are still stuck with Axelrod or someone else getting a lot of starts down the stretch unless Danks can come back 100%.

Greinke Sale Peavy Floyd Qunitana

I have heard that some of the big-market teams (Yankees, Rangers) are nervous about dealing for Greinke, due to his anxiety issues in the past.

voodoochile
07-16-2012, 10:11 AM

I have heard that some of the big-market teams (Yankees, Rangers) are nervous about dealing for Greinke, due to his anxiety issues in the past.

If the offense stays somewhat consistent and the defense continues to play like it is that's enough to make a serious run at the playoffs and beyond. Anyone here not willing to go into a 7 game series with Greinke, Sale and Peavy as our big three?

bluedemon45
07-16-2012, 10:20 AM
I heard Steve Stone briefly on the Score this morning and he said he feels that Grienke is meant for a much smaller market and he was going to leave it at that.

asindc
07-16-2012, 10:59 AM
I heard Steve Stone briefly on the Score this morning and he said he feels that Grienke is meant for a much smaller market and he was going to leave it at that.

Could it be Pittsburgh?

Domeshot17
07-16-2012, 11:03 AM
You know, it is tough to tell how Greinke will handle pressure. Just because the guy has a bad anxiety disorder does not mean he will surely fall apart.

I guess I always rooted for the guy because I have the same condition, and like him, it was not diagnosed until I was in my 20s (actually just 2 years ago). I am a marketing manager at work, I manage both my company's biggest client and biggest team. With the right balance of medicine and getting my mind right, I have been able to overcome it. The funny thing in my case is that when something goes wrong, and everything is on the line, and all the pressure is on me, I seem to strive. The disorder hits me the hardest, sometimes crippling, when there is time to think, nothing to do etc.

Sadly, its something that will impact each person individually and no 2 people will be the same. But I would love nothing more than Zach to come here and lead us to a title.

palehozenychicty
07-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Could it be Pittsburgh?

They are on everyone right now, including J. Upton, Quentin, and other hitters.

They also have the prospect depth to get a nice deal done without losing Cole or Taillion.

SephClone89
07-16-2012, 12:02 PM
You know, it is tough to tell how Greinke will handle pressure. Just because the guy has a bad anxiety disorder does not mean he will surely fall apart.

I guess I always rooted for the guy because I have the same condition, and like him, it was not diagnosed until I was in my 20s (actually just 2 years ago). I am a marketing manager at work, I manage both my company's biggest client and biggest team. With the right balance of medicine and getting my mind right, I have been able to overcome it. The funny thing in my case is that when something goes wrong, and everything is on the line, and all the pressure is on me, I seem to strive. The disorder hits me the hardest, sometimes crippling, when there is time to think, nothing to do etc.

Sadly, its something that will impact each person individually and no 2 people will be the same. But I would love nothing more than Zach to come here and lead us to a title.

Thanks for this post. Even in 2012 there seems to be rampant misunderstanding of mental conditions. Some of the stuff you read people say about Greinke, you'd think he's certifiably insane or something. Saw some similar misconceptions when Aubrey Huff went on the DL a couple of months ago.

WhiteSox5187
07-16-2012, 02:56 PM

:redface: I forgot about Floyd.

Tragg
07-16-2012, 03:21 PM
I have an itchy feeling that Greinke is gonna be a Sox, and I don't think it will take Tank to make it happen. My thought Castro/Mitchell/one of our young fireballers out of the pen.
So essentially we need to pay twice as much for Grienke as we received for Jackson plus a supplemental pick. Nice. Wouldn't surprise me though.
I just to trade our best prospects for 8 starts.
Trading TAnk, if that's on the table, for a rent would be asinine. A rent is Solely to help how , so we'll weaken our offense to help now. An offense that, by the way, doesn't have a decent bat on the bench.

asindc
07-16-2012, 03:25 PM
So twice as much as we got for Jackson. Nice.
I just to trade our best prospect for 8 starts.
Trading TAnk, if that's on the table, for a rent would be asinine. A rent is Solely to help how , so we'll weaken our offense to help now. An offense that, by the way, doesn't have a decent bat on the bench.

Will Teahen's contract be involved in the Greinke negotiations somehow?

Bucky F. Dent
07-16-2012, 03:26 PM
a pitcher of some variety will be acquired. Either a reliever or a starter if there seems to be no real recovery for danks and they want to gain against fatigue of sale or quintana.

+1

shes
07-16-2012, 03:39 PM

Other than Quintana (and maybe Jones), I don't see anyone they brought up from the farm performing league average or better at their position.

I suppose you could say Danks as well, but 22 ABs is a very small sample.

Not trying to be a DARK CLOUD or anything, but let's not kid ourselves or sugarcoat things -- the White Sox farm system is still one of the worst in baseball. I think the mistake people made was equating a bad farm system with one that has no major league players. Even the worst systems still produce productive major leaguers, as we have certainly seen this year.

delben91
07-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Other than Quintana (and maybe Jones), I don't see anyone they brought up from the farm performing league average or better at their position.

I suppose you could say Danks as well, but 22 ABs is a very small sample.

Not trying to be a DARK CLOUD or anything, but let's not kid ourselves or sugarcoat things -- the White Sox farm system is still one of the worst in baseball. I think the mistake people made was equating a bad farm system with one that has no major league players. Even the worst systems still produce productive major leaguers, as we have certainly seen this year.

Sale? Reed?

Irishsox1
07-16-2012, 04:28 PM
We currently have 2 starters on the DL and another missing a start. I'd start with that minor problem.

WhiteSox5187
07-16-2012, 04:30 PM
Sale? Reed?

I will give you Reed but Sale pitched about 18 innings in the minors. I don't really count him as being developed by the Sox farm system.

TheOldRoman
07-16-2012, 04:52 PM

Sadly, its something that will impact each person individually and no 2 people will be the same. But I would love nothing more than Zach to come here and lead us to a title.I agree with this. It's unfair to say "He can't handle a big city" or "He will collapse under media scrutiny." He has acknowledged his issues and received treatment, and he has pitched very well since then. A lot of people still see anxiety issues and depression as being "mentally weak," and that isn't the case. They are legitimate ailments which have legitimate treatments (even if there isn't a cure).

The possibility exists that he would falter in that situation, but I think it's unfair to just assume that he will have a blow-up or relapse just because he is put in a high stress situation. Every time taking the mound in the majors is a high stress situation. Also, it's not like the Sox are under the same media scrutiny as the Yankees, Red Sox or Cubs are. Honestly, even in a pennant race the media does little more than dismiss the Sox and come up with stories telling fans not to get excited because they are going to fall apart anyway. I wouldn't have any apprehension about the Sox trading for Grienke at all.

sullythered
07-16-2012, 05:36 PM
I will give you Reed but Sale pitched about 18 innings in the minors. I don't really count him as being developed by the Sox farm system.

Home grown is home grown.

shes
07-16-2012, 05:42 PM
Sale? Reed?

Forgot about Reed. Good call.

Sale pretty much went straight from draft pick to Sox uni so any development he did was at the ML level.

JB98
07-16-2012, 06:09 PM
I agree with this. It's unfair to say "He can't handle a big city" or "He will collapse under media scrutiny." He has acknowledged his issues and received treatment, and he has pitched very well since then. A lot of people still see anxiety issues and depression as being "mentally weak," and that isn't the case. They are legitimate ailments which have legitimate treatments (even if there isn't a cure).

The possibility exists that he would falter in that situation, but I think it's unfair to just assume that he will have a blow-up or relapse just because he is put in a high stress situation. Every time taking the mound in the majors is a high stress situation. Also, it's not like the Sox are under the same media scrutiny as the Yankees, Red Sox or Cubs are. Honestly, even in a pennant race the media does little more than dismiss the Sox and come up with stories telling fans not to get excited because they are going to fall apart anyway. I wouldn't have any apprehension about the Sox trading for Grienke at all.

Agreed. I'd take him. He's a proven pitcher, and the Sox could use a couple of those.

Tragg
07-16-2012, 07:34 PM
The other thing is that starting pitching isn't our greatest need. We have humber coming back; say what you want about Axe but he pitches like a decent 5th starter. And if we get Danks back...
In contrast we have 6 bullpen rookies. now I think they pitch about as well as your basic veteran middle reliever; but there are a few relief pitchers out there who are really good.
Our greatest need is for a bench bat. WE have zero on the bench.

In our last 2 division titles, I believe we made zero major July acquisitions.

JB98
07-16-2012, 07:59 PM
The other thing is that starting pitching isn't our greatest need. We have humber coming back; say what you want about Axe but he pitches like a decent 5th starter. And if we get Danks back...
In contrast we have 6 bullpen rookies. now I think they pitch about as well as your basic veteran middle reliever; but there are a few relief pitchers out there who are really good.
Our greatest need is for a bench bat. WE have zero on the bench.

In our last 2 division titles, I believe we made zero major July acquisitions.

But will we? There's no reason to believe he'll be back anytime soon.

Tragg
07-17-2012, 09:40 AM
But will we? There's no reason to believe he'll be back anytime soon.
Who knows.
Meanwhile, workhorse MB has SEVENTEEN decisions already, which is really remarkable.
And I think we were hasty in cutting Ohman. We just refused to restrict him as to a limited pitcher like him should be used - as a situational lefty.

doublem23
07-17-2012, 09:56 AM
Who knows.
Meanwhile, workhorse MB has SEVENTEEN decisions already, which is really remarkable.
And I think we were hasty in cutting Ohman. We just refused to restrict him as to a limited pitcher like him should be used - as a situational lefty.

Well, I can't believe anyone is complaining about a lack of Will Ohman, but while I will agree that the Sox didn't use him properly, that just seems to be the way Robin and Coop are going to manage and coach their pitchers. I guess it's easier for them to find guys who are going to be able to respond to the way they want them to pitch rather than try and bend their philosophies for every individual player.

delben91
07-17-2012, 10:28 AM

Has anyone picked Ohman up off waivers? Or is he in Charlotte?

jcw218
07-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Has anyone picked Ohman up off waivers? Or is he in Charlotte?

The White Sox officially released him. He is a free agent now and have not heard of any team signing him.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

eriqjaffe
07-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Has anyone picked Ohman up off waivers? Or is he in Charlotte?IIRC, he was released on July 3, so he's a free agent ATM.

delben91
07-17-2012, 10:42 AM
The White Sox officially released him. He is a free agent now and have not heard of any team signing him.

Thanks.

Kind of hurts the argument that the Sox were hasty in releasing him if no other team in MLB wanted him as a LOOGY.

palehosepub
07-17-2012, 11:43 AM
He is on the 15 day DL as of 6/24 with some shoulder inflammation. The last I heard was that they didn't think it was serious but he might need a rehab appearance in the minors before coming back. This is trip #2 to the DL this year for Crain. First one was for an oblique strain.

I dont see the Sox doing a huge deal they will get a veteran reliever or two I'm thinking JJ Putz as opposed to a top closer like Street or Broxton they dont seem to have enough to trade to get a top tier reliever or starter they will do a few lower profile upgrades

amsteel
07-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Right now Axelrod, Reed, Jones, Santiago, Septimo, Omogrosso, and Martinez have pitched a combined career 26 innings in August, September, and October.

For the love of god, we need an experienced reliever.

Lip Man 1
07-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Gonzo reports tonight at the Tribune web site that Toronto and Miami scouts have followed the Sox both in Kansas City and now Boston.

Says names being thrown out for a possible deal are Oliver and Janssen from the Jays. Doesn't say anything about whom the Sox might be looking at for the Marlins.

Any ideas?

Lip

sox1970
07-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Gonzo reports tonight at the Tribune web site that Toronto and Miami scouts have followed the Sox both in Kansas City and now Boston.

Says names being thrown out for a possible deal are Oliver and Janssen from the Jays. Doesn't say anything about whom the Sox might be looking at for the Marlins.

Any ideas?

Lip

I think Anibel Sanchez or Ricky Nolasco could be on the radar.

Domeshot17
07-17-2012, 10:21 PM
What about the reliever with the fake identity and visa from Miami. Guy was solid. I wonder how much he would cost.

Frater Perdurabo
07-17-2012, 10:24 PM

Any ideas?

Lip

Buehrle?

:)

Brian26
07-17-2012, 10:27 PM

Any ideas?

Lip

Buehrle

DSpivack
07-17-2012, 10:31 PM
What about the reliever with the fake identity and visa from Miami. Guy was solid. I wonder how much he would cost.

Juan Oviedo. Was suspended for much of this season, then sprained his UCL in his elbow. Hasn't pitched at all this season (at least in the majors).

WhiteSox5187
07-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Buehrle?

:)

Ohhhh were it only to be true!

DSpivack
07-17-2012, 10:34 PM

Any ideas?

Lip

If the Sox are interested in lefty specialist Darren Oliver on the Blue Jays, then they're probably interested in the Marlins' Randy Choate, as well.

Noneck
07-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Ohhhh were it only to be true!

At 48M for the next 3 years, I would pass.

chisoxfanatic
07-17-2012, 11:27 PM
Yea, I don't see Kenny taking on the salary either, even if the gate gets better numbers.

WhiteSox5187
07-17-2012, 11:41 PM

Yea, I don't see Kenny taking on the salary either, even if the gate gets better numbers.

I don't think there is anyway Buehrle comes back to the Sox via trade anytime soon but it's fun to think about and were the Marlins willing to eat some of that salary I would have him back in a heart beat. He is still effective and would also probably lead to an increase at the gate for his first couple of games back.

Noneck
07-17-2012, 11:53 PM
I don't think there is anyway Buehrle comes back to the Sox via trade anytime soon but it's fun to think about and were the Marlins willing to eat some of that salary I would have him back in a heart beat. He is still effective and would also probably lead to an increase at the gate for his first couple of games back.

Well miami would have to salt and pepper a lot of that 48M to make it worth the Sox while.

doublem23
07-18-2012, 12:00 AM

He was going by the name Leo Nunez, but his real name is Juan Oviedo. He would be eligible to return to baseball next week, but unfortunately, in a minor league rehab appearance, he suffered a sprained elbow in his throwing arm. So who knows now?

voodoochile
07-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Well miami would have to salt and pepper a lot of that 48M to make it worth the Sox while.

Straight up for Floyd...:D:

DSpivack
07-18-2012, 12:25 AM
He was going by the name Leo Nunez, but his real name is Juan Oviedo. He would be eligible to return to baseball next week, but unfortunately, in a minor league rehab appearance, he suffered a sprained elbow in his throwing arm. So who knows now?

Oviedo doesn't make much sense given his status this season. Mujica isn't anything great. Out of their bullpen, that leaves only Steve Cishek and Randy Choate. I don't know why they'd trade a young, talented, cheap reliever like Cishek, but Choate is a 36-year old lefty specialist. I would guess that he's who the Sox are most after at this point, realistically.

kufram
07-18-2012, 05:49 AM
Although I would always welcome any form of good pitching to come to us, it would be worth remembering that patience pretty much paid off when the offense was scuffling early in the year. There were lots of calls for various players to be "sent down to figure it out". I'm less worried that we have so many rookies than some others.... maybe the rookies don't know that they are bound to fail.

Our pitching has been good at times.... it could be good again, soon even.

amsteel
07-18-2012, 12:49 PM
Small sample size but so far in the second half the bullpen has an ERA of 5.87, WHIP of 1.50, and SO/BB of 1.57. Gah!

FielderJones
07-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Small sample size but so far in the second half the bullpen has an ERA of 5.87, WHIP of 1.50, and SO/BB of 1.57. Gah!

Yet somehow have gone 3-2 and gained a half game since the break.

amsteel
07-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Yet somehow have gone 3-2 and gained a half game since the break.

I would say that's in spite of the bullpen, not due to it.

TheOldRoman
07-18-2012, 02:37 PM
I would say that's in spite of the bullpen, not due to it.The bullpen lost a game on Monday in which the Sox might not have scored again if they played 19 innings. Their other loss featured Peavy being left in too long. The pen did, however, play a big role in the Sox winning on Friday, even with the runs they gave up.

oldgrouch
07-18-2012, 04:25 PM

Didn't he shut us down at least once since he left?

Lip Man 1
07-18-2012, 11:43 PM
Gonzo tonight said that regarding Minnesota it's Liriano and Miami it's Choate the Sox are looking at.

Lip

DSpivack
07-18-2012, 11:49 PM
Gonzo tonight said that regarding Minnesota it's Liriano and Miami it's Choate the Sox are looking at.

Lip

Randy Choate I'd like. A good lefty specialist, 36 years old, and doesn't have a bad contract ($1.5 mil this season). I imagine he would come relatively cheaply.

Not sure how I feel about Liriano. He's not all that good anymore. He is having a somewhat bizarre season. I think I read recently that last friday he became the first pitcher in MLB history to strike out at least 15 batters while giving up a grand slam in the same game. He started out the season getting shelled as a starter, had a few brief scoreless appearances out of the pen, got shelled again in a long relief appearance, than has done pretty well returning to the rotation. Still I don't really trust him and he is making $5.5 million this season, and is arbitration-eligible once the season ends.

CoopaLoop
07-18-2012, 11:54 PM
No thanks to Liriano and we need another righty in the pen, not a lefty.

Maybe Crain will come back and fill that role, but it's tough to put faith in that guy this season.