PDA

View Full Version : New State Farm Commercial with Kerry Wood

vinny
07-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Moderately funny commercial. Check out what Wood from the ivy.

ghITg_eq8Zo

ChiSoxGal85
07-10-2012, 10:06 PM
I've seen that and actually think that's funny and creative.

PalehosePlanet
07-10-2012, 10:55 PM
I thought there would be a pun on all of his trips to the DL, but still pretty funny.

thomas35forever
07-11-2012, 12:53 AM
I find it pretty bad, but maybe just because it looks desperate. Or maybe because I'm a Sox fan watching a Cubs commercial. Or..ah, screw it. I just find it weird.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-11-2012, 02:11 AM
I've seen that and actually think that's funny and creative.

Same. The "what year is it", makes me chuckle.

Railsplitter
07-11-2012, 06:52 AM
Pretty funny. Far better than those "Jerry and Jessica" commercials.

DonnieDarko
07-11-2012, 09:14 AM
i've seen that and actually think that's funny and creative.

+1.

Golden Sox
07-11-2012, 10:12 AM
When I first saw the commercial with Kerry Wood it made me wonder. Here it is you have an ex Cubs player in a commercial for a major insurance company. Other than the fact that he had one big game against Houston years ago, he basically was a pitcher who had an average career.He also lost alot of weight after they started testing for the juice. He never was on a pennant winning or World Series team and yet he's in a commercial after he retires from the bad guys. I hope it never happens but imagine what it would be like in the Chicagoland area if the Cubs actually won something. A few weeks ago I went to the Rosemont/Sun Times Sports Collectible Show. Some vendors were selling Cubs items from the 1969 team for some serious money. The 69 Cubs team finished 8 games out of first place. That same team which was basically together for years never made the playoffs once and yet they're looked back fondly by most Cubs fans. If the bad guys from the northside ever actually won anything we would probably be overwhelmed by the media here.

Irishsox1
07-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Couldn't they get a better Andre Dawson? They guy they use sounds like a bum. Would have been funnier if he pulled out Steve Bartman.

Saracen
07-11-2012, 11:42 AM
When I first saw the commercial with Kerry Wood it made me wonder. Here it is you have an ex Cubs player in a commercial for a major insurance company. Other than the fact that he had one big game against Houston years ago, he basically was a pitcher who had an average career.He also lost alot of weight after they started testing for the juice. He never was on a pennant winning or World Series team and yet he's in a commercial after he retires from the bad guys. I hope it never happens but imagine what it would be like in the Chicagoland area if the Cubs actually won something. A few weeks ago I went to the Rosemont/Sun Times Sports Collectible Show. Some vendors were selling Cubs items from the 1969 team for some serious money. The 69 Cubs team finished 8 games out of first place. That same team which was basically together for years never made the playoffs once and yet they're looked back fondly by most Cubs fans. If the bad guys from the northside ever actually won anything we would probably be overwhelmed by the media here.
Who would you prefer they use when marketing their product to Cubs fans during an All Star game? Should they have trotted out Shammy, would that be better? Of course they're going to use someone from the local team in these regionalized commercials, whether that local team has ever won anything or not.

DumpJerry
07-11-2012, 12:06 PM
It's pretty good. Sure beats using Aaron Rodgers in the Chicago area (but his commercial is alluded to in this one).

samurai_sox
07-11-2012, 12:39 PM
It's pretty good. Sure beats using Aaron Rodgers in the Chicago area (but his commercial is alluded to in this one).

Yeah but the fat and ugly Packers fanatic banging on the window at the end was pure gold.

kobo
07-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Couldn't they get a better Andre Dawson? They guy they use sounds like a bum. Would have been funnier if he pulled out Steve Bartman.
That was the real Andre Dawson.

amsteel
07-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Andre Dawson has surprisingly good comedic timing

sullythered
07-11-2012, 01:42 PM
He also lost alot of weight after they started testing for the juice.

Wood's average fastball was 94 mph when he broke into the league, 94 mph this season, and pretty much 94 mph every year in between. He no lika da juice.

moochpuppy
07-11-2012, 02:01 PM
it's pretty good. Sure beats using aaron rodgers in the chicago area (but his commercial is alluded to in this one).

+1

Irishsox1
07-11-2012, 03:45 PM
That was the real Andre Dawson.

It is?...well I guess being stuck in the ivy explains his 1989 playoff performance when he hit .105

PatK
07-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Would have been funnier if they pulled a WS trophy out of there, especially considering Wrigley wasn't built in 1908

PaleHoser
07-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Keep digging Kerry, I'm sure Sammy had to leave a few syringes in there.

RadioheadRocks
07-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Who would you prefer they use when marketing their product to Cubs fans during an All Star game? Should they have trotted out Shammy, would that be better? Of course they're going to use someone from the local team in these regionalized commercials, whether that local team has ever won anything or not.

Let's just jettison all this "feel-good Cubbie" crap into outer space, as it keeps perpetuating that "Cubbie Mystique" that makes most of us want to vomit.

Red Barchetta
07-12-2012, 07:08 PM
The fact that they dug out the old Dawson era uniform was a good touch. There are many Cub personnas that I could not stand over the years. At least they chose to use two players that I actually liked.

If they ever show a commerical with Dusty Baker, Mark Prior and Sammy Sosa, the TV goes out the window! :angry:

FielderJones
07-12-2012, 10:42 PM
If they ever show a commerical with Dusty Baker, Mark Prior and Sammy Sosa, the TV goes out the window! :angry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP9dlTornbM