PDA

View Full Version : Sox sale begins, includes Reinsy thoughts

Jerry_Manuel
07-26-2002, 12:43 AM
From the Trib: (I'll post the important parts)

The Sox reportedly agreed to pay about $500,000 of the remaining $2.1 million remaining on Durham's contract. An underachieving team and poor attendance at Comiskey Park combined to make Durham the first to go from the 2002 Sox.

"The reality is we could not afford Ray Durham beyond this year," Sox general manager Ken Williams said. "And I also think we have talented young men ready to step in."

"Jon has a good arm," Beane said. "We probably pushed him a little because we needed [starters] at Triple-A. He wasn't helped by our void [at Sacramento] and by rushing him. Kenny has historically taken [hard-throwing] guys like this and has a good track record of taking young arms and making them into good pitchers."

"Willie will get the bulk of the time there as the team currently stands," Williams said cryptically.

In Sox-speak, that means center fielder Kenny Lofton should have his suitcases packed. Lofton, the team's player representative, is among the soon-to-be free agents likely be purged by next Wednesday's non-waiver trade deadline as Williams shuffles the deck to get some fresh faces into the lineup for the final two months of a lost season.

As soon as Lofton departs, Harris figures to move to center and recently acquired D'Angelo Jimenez will be called up from Charlotte to play second. If the Sox can unload Royce Clayton, a more difficult task because of his $1.5 million remaining salary and .230 average, Jose Valentin will move to short and third baseman Joe Crede will be called up. Catcher Sandy Alomar Jr. is also on Williams' "must-go" list, which would open a spot for up-and-down prospect Josh Paul. The Sox also are shopping outfielders Jeff Liefer and Carlos Lee, along with Todd Ritchie and Bob Howry and others.

In a flip-flop version of the White Flag trade of '97, sources say Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf is steaming because his team appeared to wave the white flag weeks ago . This time, Sox fans are likely to support a housecleaning, with the team trailing Minnesota by 14 games and looking defeated at times on the field.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-26-2002, 01:00 AM
In a flip-flop version of the White Flag trade of '97, sources say Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf is steaming because his team appeared to wave the white flag weeks ago . This time, Sox fans are likely to support a housecleaning, with the team trailing Minnesota by 14 games and looking defeated at times on the field.

The only "housecleaning" this Sox Fan support starts right inside the chairman's suite and goes down the food chain from there.

How typical of the Cubune to screw up the facts in the story.

nut_stock
07-26-2002, 02:06 AM
We're doomed! ...and Reinsdorf Jr. is just waiting for his chance.

LongDistanceFan
07-26-2002, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
From the Trib: (I'll post the important parts)

jm you are doing a great job of keeping us updated, thanks

hold2dibber
07-26-2002, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

The only "housecleaning" this Sox Fan support starts right inside the chairman's suite and goes down the food chain from there.

I think Sox fans will support a houseclearing, but not a rebuilding. I agree that this team needs radical changes. But I don't think simply sticking the Charlotte Knights in White Sox uniforms will be met with approval by most Sox fans -- and certainly not by this Sox fan. Of course, a "houseclearing" at the top would be the best we could hope for -- but it ain't gonna happen (and if it does, it might mean that we'll all be rooting for the Washington D.C. White Sox).

duke of dorwood
07-26-2002, 08:43 AM
We clean house more often than a maid on caffeine.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-26-2002, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
We clean house more often than a maid on caffeine.

I am endlessly amazed how Chicago baseball fans willingly throw in the towel. Reinsdorf and the Cubune have everyone convinced that a baseball championship simply isn't possible in this city. The logical leaps of faith others willingly swallow are beyond comprehension. 85 years of this nonsense on the South Side. Even more up north.

Yes, by all means, let's allow the criminals to "rebuild" our team. Make sure you shovel plenty more of your money their way, too.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-26-2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

We probably wont get rid of reinsy any time soon, I don't care how much money he says he's losing. As for the rest of these slugs in management, they need to be shown the door post haste!

Chisox353014
07-26-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
From the Trib: (I'll post the important parts):
"Jon has a good arm," Beane said. "We probably pushed him a little because we needed [starters] at Triple-A. He wasn't helped by our void [at Sacramento] and by rushing him. Kenny has historically taken [hard-throwing] guys like this and has a good track record of taking young arms and making them into good pitchers."

You forgot to post the part where Beane burst out laughing and said "yeah, Kenny Williams has a great track record with young pitchers HAHAHAHA....no, seriously, I mean it, he's HEEHEEHEE got a great HAHAHA track record!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

Iwritecode
07-26-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge I am endlessly amazed how Chicago baseball fans willingly throw in the towel. Reinsdorf and the Cubune have everyone convinced that a baseball championship simply isn't possible in this city. The logical leaps of faith others willingly swallow are beyond comprehension. 85 years of this nonsense on the South Side. Even more up north.

Yes, by all means, let's allow the criminals to "rebuild" our team. Make sure you shovel plenty more of your money their way, too.

I haven't given the Sox organization any money since September 14? of last year. Haven't even bought any new hats or jersey's or anything. So far, all that's done is create quotes like this:

An underachieving team and poor attendance at Comiskey Park combined to make Durham the first to go from the 2002 Sox.

"The reality is we could not afford Ray Durham beyond this year," Sox general manager Ken Williams said.

So if we, the fans, don't spend any money, they say that can't afford a decent team. If we do spend more money, they spend it on underacheiving veterans that can't seem to stay healthy or can't hit their own weight... The ultimate catch-22.

KingXerxes
07-26-2002, 10:41 AM
I agree.

It's almost like Williams faxed Beane that statement, and had him read it as part of the deal. I wouldn't put it past him.