PDA

View Full Version : We're going to play the Cubs less often

DumpJerry
07-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Four times a year in most years (http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/07/10/white-sox-cubs-series-to-be-reduced-to-4-games-most-seasons/).

Good news since the Cubs are slated to outdo the 1927 Yankees pretty soon.

shingo10
07-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Hawk was saying the other day that it looks like the Marlins are coming to the South Side next year...that should be a fun series.

The stuff with the Cubs is what it is. 4 games, 6 games...not a whole big difference.

mrfourni
07-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Hawk was saying the other day that it looks like the Marlins are coming to the South Side next year...that should be a fun series.

The stuff with the Cubs is what it is. 4 games, 6 games...not a whole big difference.

Hopefully that means they play the NL east, and the sox make their first trip to CITI Field.

Madvora
07-10-2012, 04:01 PM
It's not fair unless the teams that compete for the same thing, compete against the same teams the same amount of times.

Chez
07-10-2012, 04:11 PM
It's not fair unless the teams that compete for the same thing, compete against the same teams the same amount of times.

Just like in every other major professional sport and in every major collegiate conference?

SaltyPretzel
07-10-2012, 04:27 PM
I wish we would have a weekend series up in Milwaukee every year. :(:

aryzner
07-10-2012, 04:39 PM

I, for one, would love a balanced schedule like the English Premier League where they play one game home and one game away vs every other team in the league. Except in baseball terms replace "game" with "3 game series".

However, (if I am doing the math right in my head) this makes for even more regular season games than there already are.

doublem23
07-10-2012, 04:40 PM
I, for one, would love a balanced schedule like the English Premier League where they play one game home and one game away vs every other team in the league. Except in baseball terms replace "game" with "3 game series".

However, (if I am doing the math right in my head) this makes for even more regular season games than there already are.

Yes that would be 174 games

aryzner
07-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Yes that would be 174 games

I guess it's not that many more than a season now... but then again it is. I don't know. I just always have loved the idea of round-robin tournaments/seasons.

Golden Sox
07-10-2012, 05:39 PM
I'm just glad that the White Sox will continue to play the bad guys. It's always good to beat them every year in the series. I only watch the bad guys when the White Sox play them. I always like to see what minor league teams play like when they play us every year.

TomBradley72
07-10-2012, 05:40 PM
i wish we would have a weekend series up in milwaukee every year. :(:

+1

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-10-2012, 05:46 PM
But what about the prestigious BP Crosstown Cup?

jcw218
07-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Being that the divisions are going to be equal, my ideal schedule is 6 interleague series, 20 intraleague ( home and home) and 28 series within your division.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

The Dude
07-10-2012, 05:54 PM

I for one cannot wait to boo the old skipper for quitting on us the last couple years.

With regards to the Cubs, this sucks because the Cubs are one of the worst teams right now and SHOULD be easy wins. Otherwise, who cares?

Boondock Saint
07-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Thank God. Maybe we can go all the way and make it zero games.

slavko
07-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Thank God. Maybe we can go all the way and make it zero games.

It isn't special anymore is it? With the 8 team leagues, playing each opponent 22 times for a total of 154, life was simpler. Over 40 years ago.

thomas35forever
07-10-2012, 06:03 PM
I'm just glad that the White Sox will continue to play the bad guys. It's always good to beat them every year in the series. I only watch the bad guys when the White Sox play them. I always like to see what minor league teams play like when they play us every year.
Meh. I'll take wins regardless of who they're facing. I frankly don't have much reaction to this story except I'm glad we don't have to put up with the crap surrounding this series as much anymore.

ChiSoxFann
07-10-2012, 06:09 PM
I'm all for less games with the Cubs. Based on the media coverage, fan reaction and attendance the last couple years it seems fans don't really care about these Cubs/Sox games anymore.

I went to games in 2002, 2003 and this year at Wrigley. I was surprised at the lack of a buzz in the stadium and it felt like any other game and the fans were pretty laid back, nothing compared to almost 10 years ago. I'd rather face the Brewers, Cardinals or other midwest NL teams anyway. Planning a roadtrip to a new city and ballpark is more appealing than another couple Crosstown games.

dickallen15
07-10-2012, 07:23 PM
I'm all for less games with the Cubs. Based on the media coverage, fan reaction and attendance the last couple years it seems fans don't really care about these Cubs/Sox games anymore.

I went to games in 2002, 2003 and this year at Wrigley. I was surprised at the lack of a buzz in the stadium and it felt like any other game and the fans were pretty laid back, nothing compared to almost 10 years ago. I'd rather face the Brewers, Cardinals or other midwest NL teams anyway. Planning a roadtrip to a new city and ballpark is more appealing than another couple Crosstown games.

Sox biggest gates are vs. the Cubs. I don't know why any Sox fan wouldn't want the Sox playing the Cubs as much as possible. They absolutely dominate them.

Max Power
07-11-2012, 11:00 AM
One series versus each team from the opposite league, alternate home team each season. Done. Why is this so difficult for MLB?

doublem23
07-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Sox biggest gates are vs. the Cubs. I don't know why any Sox fan wouldn't want the Sox playing the Cubs as much as possible. They absolutely dominate them.

Yeah, bingo, unless the Sox can find a way to squeeze 1-2 more Opening Days onto the schedule, losing a Cubs game is going to hurt.

sox1970
07-11-2012, 11:08 AM
One series versus each team from the opposite league, alternate home team each season. Done. Why is this so difficult for MLB?

The more "one and done" series you have, the more headaches with travel and making up rain outs. I don't need to see the Sox play 15 different NL teams every year. To me, interlegaue play should be kept to a minimum, and you play your own league to compete for league playoff spots.

Rocky Soprano
07-11-2012, 11:09 AM

Yeah, bingo, unless the Sox can find a way to squeeze 1-2 more Opening Days onto the schedule, losing a Cubs game is going to hurt.

It has become "cool" on here to say that you want less Sox-Cubs games or not to play them at all.

Has it lost some buzz? Yes.
Yet it still draws better than most if not all series, except for Opening Day. I don't see why anyone would want to lose that.

If you don't care for it that's great, but that is not a good enough reason to say they should play less games.

kittle42
07-11-2012, 11:23 AM
It has become "cool" on here

Nothing on here is cool.

Bobby Thigpen
07-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Nothing on here is cool.
Except for the annual "I hate winter" thread.

Chez
07-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Nothing on here is cool.

Wait. I thought we all are the cool kids. We're not the cool kids?!

HomeFish
07-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Things that are cool on WSI:

(1) Hating the idea of any White Sox player playing in an exhibition game (All-Star or WBC). This is the only fan base I'm aware of where a large percentage of people do not want to see their players in the ASG.
(2) Hating M&M Jacket guy

Hitmen77
07-11-2012, 02:20 PM
It has become "cool" on here to say that you want less Sox-Cubs games or not to play them at all.

Has it lost some buzz? Yes.
Yet it still draws better than most if not all series, except for Opening Day. I don't see why anyone would want to lose that.

If you don't care for it that's great, but that is not a good enough reason to say they should play less games.

I can't speak for others here, but I reject this accusation that I only prefer fewer Sox-Cubs games because it's the "cool" thing to say. This has been my own long-standing opinion and preference which I'm entitled to and it's based on much I like (or, rather, dislike) these games. I would answer the same it 99% of WSI were all for the games.

As far as the idea that all Sox fans must like having 3 home games vs. the Cubs because it helps our attendance. Well, it sounds like they're going from 3 home games a year to 2. If the Sox success really rests on the attendance of one extra game, then they need to find a better way to draw fans and be a successful franchise than to just hope we play the Cubs a lot.

Anyway, attendance is dropping for the current full slate of games vs. the Cubs. The last 2 games vs. the Cubs this year drew around 30k. If they went from 3 home games to 2 per year, that'll likely just fill up the 2 remaining games all that much more with the people who are huge fans of the crosstown series. I didn't crunch the numbers, but my rough guess is that all the home games since the Cubs series have averaged about 26k. Not exactly a huge difference from what they drew vs. the Cubs.

The one reason I do like the max number of games vs. the Cubs right now is because the Cubs are so bad. But, that still didn't stop the Sox from losing a series at home to them. ....and anyway, we all know from the media that this is going to change in the near future since Theo is building a new World Series dynasty on the North Side.

DeadMoney
07-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Lost in all of this... This all but assures that they will no longer be weekend series, correct? That is, unless they get creative and schedule the 4 games/2 series back-to-back Fri-Mon.

I really don't care for the Sox/Cubs series anymore. Like I told some people last week as I was preparing to go to the Sox/Rangers games... I was FAR more excited to go see those two teams play last week than I was a few weeks before to go see Sox/Cubs games.

moochpuppy
07-11-2012, 03:02 PM

Need a 174 games schedule to pull that off. :o:

FielderJones
07-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Need a 174 games schedule to pull that off. :o:

If you played 4 games each (2 and 2) against all the teams in the other league, that's 60 games. If you played 6 games (3 and 3) against all the teams outside your division that's 60 games. If you played 8 games (4 and 4) against teams within your division that's 32 games for a total of 152. We played 154 games 44 years ago. It would give extra time for the playoffs so the World Series didn't end in November. The bad part would be setting up travel for those short series.

Frater Perdurabo
07-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Lost in all of this... This all but assures that they will no longer be weekend series, correct? That is, unless they get creative and schedule the 4 games/2 series back-to-back Fri-Mon.

How about Friday night and Saturday noon at the Cell, and Saturday night and Sunday day at the Urinal (or vice versa)? This gives us a unique intra-city day/night double header.

Bud really should adopt the DH in the NL. Are fans of NL teams really going to stop following their team if their pitchers don't bat anymore?

doublem23
07-11-2012, 03:42 PM
How about Friday night and Saturday noon at the Cell, and Saturday night and Sunday day at the Urinal (or vice versa)? This gives us a unique intra-city day/night double header.

Absolutely zero percent chance that ever gets past the union

Frater Perdurabo
07-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Absolutely zero percent chance that ever gets past the union

Just because the union wouldn't approve it doesn't mean it's not a cool idea.

doublem23
07-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Just because the union wouldn't approve it doesn't mean it's not a cool idea.

Well then in that case I'd like to see the players soak their uniforms in gasoline and then light the ball on fire before every pitch

MAKE IT HAPPEN, BUD

moochpuppy
07-11-2012, 03:52 PM
If you played 4 games each (2 and 2) against all the teams in the other league, that's 60 games. If you played 6 games (3 and 3) against all the teams outside your division that's 60 games. If you played 8 games (4 and 4) against teams within your division that's 32 games for a total of 152.

That would still not be a fair schedule as per the criteria in Madvora's post to which I was referring. Every team would have to play the other 29 teams six times for a total of 174 games.

A team could face the other 29 teams 5 times for a 145 game schedule but the travel logistics would be nightmarish.

Frater Perdurabo
07-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Well then in that case I'd like to see the players soak their uniforms in gasoline and then light the ball on fire before every pitch

MAKE IT HAPPEN, BUD

Why the hyperbole?

kittle42
07-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Why the hyperbole?

I agree.

But maybe he would really like to see that happen! If so, someone get Oil Can Boyd on the horn.

delben91
07-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Why the hyperbole?

I've been operating under the assumption that hyperbole was what the cool kids did?

Am I wrong? :o:

ChiTownTrojan
07-11-2012, 05:26 PM
That would still not be a fair schedule as per the criteria in Madvora's post to which I was referring. Every team would have to play the other 29 teams six times for a total of 174 games.

A team could face the other 29 teams 5 times for a 145 game schedule but the travel logistics would be nightmarish.

You don't compete against the teams in the other league for playoff spots. The Sox don't need to play the Cardinals the same number of times as the Cubs do in order for it to be balanced, we just need to play each of those teams the same number of times as the Tigers and Indians do.

ChiTownTrojan
07-11-2012, 05:33 PM
If you played 4 games each (2 and 2) against all the teams in the other league, that's 60 games. If you played 6 games (3 and 3) against all the teams outside your division that's 60 games. If you played 8 games (4 and 4) against teams within your division that's 32 games for a total of 152. We played 154 games 44 years ago. It would give extra time for the playoffs so the World Series didn't end in November. The bad part would be setting up travel for those short series.

I don't think there's any way they'll shorten the season. How about this:

- 45 games against the other league (3 against each team, alternate home and home)
- 60 games against the same league, out of division teams (6 against each team)
- 60 games within the division (15 against each team)

165 game schedule. Very balanced. It makes sense to play each team within the division more because you are directly competing against them for the division title. But right now, what is it 19/year? That's a bit too much. 15 seems about right.

doublem23
07-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Why the hyperbole?

:?:

You're telling me watching guys get lit on fire wouldn't be cool?

Red Barchetta
07-11-2012, 08:01 PM
I wish we would have a weekend series up in Milwaukee every year. :(:

Me too. I wish the Brewers would come back to the AL Central and in return the Royals go to the NL Central.

I'm surprised the Astros agreed to move to the AL. That eliminates any chance of an all Texas World Series. I was thinking the Diamondbacks should move to the AL West and then move the Astros to the NL West.

Boondock Saint
07-11-2012, 08:05 PM

MAKE IT HAPPEN, BUD

R.A. Dickey just became the most exciting pitcher in baseball for a totally different reason. :cool:

Zakath
07-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Being that the divisions are going to be equal, my ideal schedule is 6 interleague series, 20 intraleague ( home and home) and 28 series within your division.

That's 21 games vs. division opponents. 18 is already too many.

DumpJerry
07-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Why? Those are the teams you want to beat up on since each game has a more direct impact on the standings than non divisional games.

Brian26
07-11-2012, 11:38 PM

I like the Saturday idea. Weren't the Yankees and Mets forced to play one of these a few years back due to a rainout?

kittle42
07-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Why? Those are the teams you want to beat up on since each game has a more direct impact on the standings than non divisional games.

Because it's boring seeing the Royals/Indians/Tigers/Twins every other homestand already.

TheVulture
07-12-2012, 12:10 PM

The BP Cup isn't as coveted these days since it has been filled with Corexit.

Paulwny
07-12-2012, 12:44 PM

Because it's boring seeing the Royals/Indians/Tigers/Twins every other homestand already.

Under Bud Selig there will always be many more games against division rivals. By playing more games against division rivals you lessen the chance of a team winning their division with less than a .500 record.
Fans in other divisions whose teams finished above .500 would be outraged that their team wasn't going to the play-offs will a team below .500 was.
Selig wants to avoid this situation.

ChiTownTrojan
07-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Under Bud Selig there will always be many more games against division rivals. By playing more games against division rivals you lessen the chance of a team winning their division with less than a .500 record.
Fans in other divisions whose teams finished above .500 would be outraged that their team wasn't going to the play-offs will a team below .500 was.
Selig wants to avoid this situation.

The second wildcard slot gives those fans less to complain about.

Lamp81
07-13-2012, 12:46 AM

In the current 6 games series, it can end in a 3-3 series tie, with the team who held it the prior year retaining it. Same thing can be done in a 4 games series.

The should add a tiebreaker, something like most runs scored or least runs allowed. If still tied, they can go with the team that plays in the better smelling ballpark.:D:

rookie
07-14-2012, 12:41 AM
The thing I don't like in this new schedule is that you might end the season with an interleague series. I like ending the season against a division rival.

Mohoney
07-14-2012, 01:58 AM
I'll miss the little reprieve that 3 "road" games in Chicago seems to give the team. I'll miss playing road games against a team that we beat more often than we lose to in their park.