PDA

View Full Version : Baseball TV Rights: A Drawn Out Battle

DSpivack
07-09-2012, 03:11 PM
http://www.adweek.com/news/television/baseballs-long-hot-summer-141725

NBC a new player in the game as all 3 (ESPN sunday-wednesday, Turner sunday-playoffs, Fox saturday-playoffs and World Series) TV contracts expire after 2013.

VenturaFan23
07-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Anything to make Buck and McCarver disappear from broadcasts is fine with me!

SephClone89
07-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Hope ESPN and/or NBC can take over from both FOX and TBS.

WhiteSox5187
07-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Hope ESPN and/or NBC can take over from both FOX and TBS.

I'd rather see NBC win outright, ESPN would make MLB more reliant on the Red Sox and Yankees in order to be relevant. But I suppose anything that gets MLB off of Fox has to be good.

Foulke You
07-09-2012, 05:01 PM
I'm literally giddy at the thought of watching the ALCS and World Series without Buck and McCarver ruining the broadcast. I really hope NBC gets the deal.

Viva Medias B's
07-09-2012, 05:10 PM
I'd like to see NBCU get the ESPN package for NBC Sports Network and the Fox package for NBC.

thomas35forever
07-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Bring baseball back to NBC so Costas can show Buck how to properly call a World Series game.

SephClone89
07-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Is ESPN's Monday Night game on the table, or no?

WLL1855
07-09-2012, 06:21 PM
MLB needs to get their act together and get the blackout rules adjusted to a more fan friendly reality.

Who am I kidding? That's never going to happen.

eastchicagosoxfan
07-09-2012, 06:57 PM
I'm literally giddy at the thought of watching the ALCS and World Series without Buck and McCarver ruining the broadcast. I really hope NBC gets the deal.

Just to be replaced by Berman and?????

Viva Medias B's
07-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Bring baseball back to NBC so Costas can show Buck how to properly call a World Series game.

If NBC gets the baseball package, would Buck leave Fox Sports and follow baseball to NBC? He does have the NFL job at Fox, of course, but baseball seems to be Buck's first love in sports.

Railsplitter
07-10-2012, 09:29 AM
I think it is in Costas' contract the if NBC has baseball, he's the Number One play-by-play announcer.

MARTINMVP
07-10-2012, 10:57 AM
If NBC gets the baseball package, would Buck leave Fox Sports and follow baseball to NBC? He does have the NFL job at Fox, of course, but baseball seems to be Buck's first love in sports.

I don't have any links to back me up, but I remember reading somewhere a few years ago where Buck was saying how baseball doesn't excite him that much anymore. Rather disheartening considering that he is Fox's A-team announcer for baseball.

If Fox lost all baseball rights, my guess is Buck stays and calls football.

EDIT: Google "Joe Buck/Baseball Not Exciting" -- I found a few links to back my claim. Two of them are below (the story from the first link has more insight)

http://jbrokaw.wordpress.com/2008/07/06/joe-buck-criticizes-baseball/

http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/07/joe-buck-admits-he-rarely-watches.html

SoxThunder
07-10-2012, 01:23 PM
I always loved the NBC World Series theme music.

Remember this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv33GxsxF04

PS - I hate how MLB on FOX uses the NFL's music.

SephClone89
07-10-2012, 02:02 PM

Literally the worst thing ever. They play it sometimes on Fox Soccer too. :angry:

Viva Medias B's
07-10-2012, 02:26 PM
I always loved the NBC World Series theme music.

Remember this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv33GxsxF04

Actually, I liked this one better:

hZA2Dz7I1X8

Meanwhile, Comcast/NBCU is selling (http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-nbc-sells-stake-in-ae-network-for-3b-in-cash-20120710,0,3111700.story) its state in A&E to other stakeholders for $3B. Comcast is expected to use the proceeds to increase its stake in NBCU. It currently owns 51% while General Electric, NBCU's previous owner, has a 49% stake. I would think that money would be a nice way to finance a rights deal with MLB.

Southsider101
07-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Get rid of baseball on Fox. Of the major networks that have held national contracts, they are clearly the worst. While they seemed to have cleaned things up more recently with added regional coverage and have borrowed liberally from MLB Network, they still seem to think that most of their viewers are 10 years old.

russ99
07-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Get rid of baseball on Fox. Of the major networks that have held national contracts, they are clearly the worst. While they seemed to have cleaned things up more recently with added regional coverage and have borrowed liberally from MLB Network, they still seem to think that most of their viewers are 10 years old.

Fox is annoying, but NBC is worse. They'd push tons of games on their crappy cable channel that most subscribers not on Comcast are hard pressed to get.

Would be like the NHL contract. Would anyone really be OK with the first 4 World Series games on the former Versus?

I much prefer ABC/ESPN, as ESPN is a basic cable channel and likely only the first round playoff games would end up there, as opposed to the first two rounds with the current Fox contract, and all three rounds on NBC/Versus.

Secondarily, ABC/ESPN are much more device/web video savvy than the other networks.

WhiteSox5187
07-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Fox is annoying, but NBC is worse. They'd push tons of games on their crappy cable channel that most subscribers not on Comcast are hard pressed to get.

Would be like the NHL contract. Would anyone really be OK with the first 4 World Series games on the former Versus?

I much prefer ABC/ESPN, as ESPN is a basic cable channel and likely only the first round playoff games would end up there, as opposed to the first two rounds with the current Fox contract, and all three rounds on NBC/Versus.

Secondarily, ABC/ESPN are much more device/web video savvy than the other networks.

I think over the course of the contract you would see NBCU becoming much more accessible to people who don't have Comcast. Even now it's not like it's the Outdoor Life Network anymore. I also don't think you would see ANY World Series games on cable. MLB draws much more of an audience than the NHL does.

Zakath
07-10-2012, 11:30 PM
I think it is in Costas' contract the if NBC has baseball, he's the Number One play-by-play announcer.

God help us. He'll regale us with stories from the late 1800's.

Bring Jon Miller back.

DSpivack
07-10-2012, 11:38 PM
God help us. He'll regale us with stories from the late 1800's.

Bring Jon Miller back.

I second that notion.

AZChiSoxFan
07-11-2012, 02:49 PM

I thought I was the only one who had thought of this (horrible) scenario. NBC gets the deal, then announces the hiring of Buck. What a nightmare that would be.

I also really like Al Michaels and recall the days when he used to do baseball. IF NBC got the deal, hopefully they'd squeeze him into a few games. I know many don't like Costas but I actually do like him as well. All in all, I'd love to see NBC get the deal.

HomeFish
07-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Which network used Scooter the Talking Baseball? Was that FOX?

tebman
07-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Meanwhile, Comcast/NBCU is selling (http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-nbc-sells-stake-in-ae-network-for-3b-in-cash-20120710,0,3111700.story) its state in A&E to other stakeholders for $3B. Comcast is expected to use the proceeds to increase its stake in NBCU. It currently owns 51% while General Electric, NBCU's previous owner, has a 49% stake. I would think that money would be a nice way to finance a rights deal with MLB.

However it shakes out I hope NBC comes back to baseball. To borrow a phrase from a local first-place baseball team, they appreciate the game. At least they used to; I know it's now Comcast-owned NBC Universal and no longer the industry-leading National Broadcasting Company, but I hope somebody there remembers that they have a tradition of doing baseball with class.

Here they are doing a White Sox-Tigers game in 1984:

A3OfRjfllgw

cub killer
07-11-2012, 05:43 PM
i don't mind Buck. I'd like to see him paired with Stone Pony, McCarver has to go.

MLB Network should get the rights, then be put on whichever OTA network out there, e.g. MLBN on Fox, MLBN on CBS, etc.

But yeah, a MLBN production without any Fox Sports music would be good.

Hitmen77
07-11-2012, 05:46 PM

I really really doubt NBC will push World Series games to their NBC Sports cable channel.

That notwithstanding, I don't follow the logic that NBC would supposedly put the WS on cable, but ABC/ESPN wouldn't.

I'd be all in favor of having MLB come back home to NBC - it's network home for something like 60 or 70 years.

I remember when ABC used to have Monday Night Baseball on network TV every week. But those days are long gone.

jcw218
07-12-2012, 02:27 AM
However it shakes out I hope NBC comes back to baseball. To borrow a phrase from a local first-place baseball team, they appreciate the game. At least they used to; I know it's now Comcast-owned NBC Universal and no longer the industry-leading National Broadcasting Company, but I hope somebody there remembers that they have a tradition of doing baseball with class.

A3OfRjfllgw

The commercial for Miller Lite at the end of the clip is pretty funny.

russ99
07-12-2012, 10:53 AM
I really really doubt NBC will push World Series games to their NBC Sports cable channel.

That notwithstanding, I don't follow the logic that NBC would supposedly put the WS on cable, but ABC/ESPN wouldn't.

You can't say with any certainty that they won't...

it's becoming a precedent. When channels pay such huge rights fees, it's becoming more common that they'll try to maximize ad revenue by putting more and more games on the cable outlet.

Would they put the MLB All Star Game on NBCSN? They have for the NHL... Also, not sure if you've noticed but the ALCS and NLCS games are being shown more and more on cable.

Again, ESPN is a basic channel, and a large majority of subscribers can access it, as opposed to NBCSN who only Comcast is positioning as a lower-tier channel for obvious competitive reasons.

ABC doesn't own a cable network so they have no such reasons to force impact games to the cable channel that will get them more revenue and force subscribers of other cable networks to either pay more or switch to Comcast.

Hitmen77
07-12-2012, 11:34 AM
You can't say with any certainty that they won't...

it's becoming a precedent. When channels pay such huge rights fees, it's becoming more common that they'll try to maximize ad revenue by putting more and more games on the cable outlet.

Would they put the MLB All Star Game on NBCSN? They have for the NHL... Also, not sure if you've noticed but the ALCS and NLCS games are being shown more and more on cable.

Again, ESPN is a basic channel, and a large majority of subscribers can access it, as opposed to NBCSN who only Comcast is positioning as a lower-tier channel for obvious competitive reasons.

If that's the case, then why wouldn't we be worried about Fox pushing World Series games to FX? Or ABC to ESPN?

With all due respect to hockey fans, I don't think the NHL all-star game is comparable to baseball's all-star game. Baseball is still a much bigger draw and I really don't think a major network is going to have some other blockbuster program to air on a Tuesday evening in July instead of the ASG.

ABC doesn't own a cable network so they have no such reasons to force impact games to the cable channel that will get them more revenue and force subscribers of other cable networks to either pay more or switch to Comcast.Not true. ABC and ESPN are both owned by Disney.

I think over the course of the contract you would see NBCU becoming much more accessible to people who don't have Comcast. Even now it's not like it's the Outdoor Life Network anymore. I also don't think you would see ANY World Series games on cable. MLB draws much more of an audience than the NHL does.

Agreed.

kba
07-12-2012, 11:34 AM

A3OfRjfllgw

That game was Jack Morris's no-hitter - April 7, 1984.

Think NBC would bring back Vin for a game or two? Even at 84, he's better than half the announcers in the league.

SoxandtheCityTee
07-12-2012, 07:36 PM

Sure it would. Unfortunately, Kabletown is going to spend it on a bunch of new reality shows, while GE will take the money it gets from selling some of its shares and put it into its microwave division. :wink: