PDA

View Full Version : I don't know about you guys....

Chisox_cali
07-25-2002, 10:45 PM
...but I for one am very excited and happy for Willie. Assuming JM doesn't pull a thing like last season with Crede and Rowand, willie may be ushering the start of the next these kids can play era.

:weewillie
'WooHoo!!! Don't worry Sox fans it will still look like ray's on this team, from a distance I look just like him!"

Jerry_Manuel
07-25-2002, 11:22 PM
I've always felt the games were more fun to watch with a young guy in there. I have a reason to watch them now. Twenty-four hours ago I didn't.

Chisox_cali
07-25-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
I've always felt the games were more fun to watch with a young guy in there. I have a reason to watch them now. Twenty-four hours ago I didn't.

That is very true, I'm actually looking forward to watching the game tomorrow.

As well as seeing ray ray in the oaktown game, because I get it on my baseball package.

Jerry_Manuel
07-25-2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
As well as seeing ray ray in the oaktown game, because I get it on my baseball package.

I want to see Ray in those yellow uniforms. :D:

Chisox_cali
07-25-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I want to see Ray in those yellow uniforms. :D:

Man those uniforms ROCK!!!!----No that was not supposed to be teal----I hope that the Sox put back on the PJ's for 70's night, God that would be funny!

:hawk
"I LUV When teams wear throwback jerseys"

Chisox_cali
07-26-2002, 12:13 AM
Can't you just imagine Paulie, or Maggs, or Buehrle in those PJ's. If I were in Chicago I would go to the game just to see them in those.

Chisox_cali
07-26-2002, 01:17 AM
Another thing about Young Guys, is that they always have a lot of heart, and have grown up together in the minors. I remember reading a real nice article about Hummel and Borchards friendship through the minors. I really wish I could find it so I could read it again.

EDIT: I found it. The whole article (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news_story.jsp?article_id=cws_20020312_hummel_ news&team_id=cws)

The part about Hummel and Borchard:

Hummel has forged a lasting friendship with outfield prospect Joe Borchard, and not just because they were the first two selections the Sox made in 2000.

Borchard, who was the 12th overall pick, was sent to Winston-Salem after Hummel had already been there about a month. They became roommates and have lived together at every stop since.

When Borchard discovered earlier this week that he would miss at least a month with a broken foot he stuck around the clubhouse until Hummel finished playing in that afternoon's Cactus League game.

"I've got to drive Hummel home," Borchard explained. "I'm his ride."

Even with a cast on his foot, Borchard's face lit up at the prospect of discussing how he and Hummel have been able to support each other.

"It makes it so good to have a guy there who has the same goals and the same ideas pertaining to baseball," Borchard said. "It makes it good to have a friend but also a companion who moves up through the system with you.

"It's been a lot of fun for us, and Tim's obviously a very solid player. He just keeps getting better. You've seen the spring he's had. He's just hitting the heck out of the ball. It's good to see that."

Hummel and Borchard are still single and spent three years in college after both getting drafted out of high school. While Hummel is the more outgoing, their personalities are quite similar.

"What's really nice about (our friendship) is the stuff you can talk about off the field," Hummel said. "Anything on your mind you're not afraid to say. Something that might not make other people happy, you ask him about it. Anything goes with us, there's no secrets."

At some point in the future, however, there's a good chance that Hummel will be patrolling some part of the infield at Comiskey Park. He'll then peer over his shoulder to see Borchard standing in the outfield, setting himself up for the next batter.

"We talk about it every once in awhile, but we try not to because if you start looking too far ahead you're not going to be able to take care of what's in front of you," Hummel said. "But that would be pretty neat one day to have us both up there."

That day may not be too far away.

KruseControl04
07-26-2002, 01:50 AM
I agree, the young guys do play with a lot of heart. Maybe its because they feel they have something to prove, which is good. Some of the veterans take it forgranted, and you can tell sometimes that they don't really care about the game, such as the case with the potential strike.