PDA

View Full Version : Hawk: Peavy to replace CJ Wilson in All-Star Game

Frater Perdurabo
07-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Congratulations to Jake!

vinny
07-08-2012, 04:33 PM
I just heard that. Well-deserved, but I hope he doesn't pitch.

soxinem1
Replacing CJ Wilson.

YES!!

Chrisaway
Hawk just announced that he's taking CJ Wilsons spot on the team. Congrats you hillbilly!!!

soxnut1018
07-08-2012, 04:35 PM
#Taken

Frater Perdurabo

Exactly

soxinem1

Me too. Actually I'd prefer if Jake and Sale both sat.

getonbckthr
07-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Congrats but I wanted Jake to relax over the break...

Bobby Thigpen
07-08-2012, 04:45 PM
I can't wait to read the overreactions this fall to this turn of events should Jake falter down the stretch.

central44
07-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Now we just need AJ to miraculously make the squad :smile:

Not holding my breath for that one though.

SephClone89
07-08-2012, 04:52 PM
:gulp:I can't wait to read the overreactions this fall to this turn of events should Jake falter down the stretch.

GoGoCrede
07-08-2012, 05:08 PM
I really wanted this for Jake. Congratulations for him and damn, what a year he's having as opposed to last year. So proud!

soxfanreggie
07-08-2012, 05:08 PM

That would be nice, but I'm not sure if I see. Non-pitcher dropping off. Peavy gets another A-S ring, deserved honor for this year.

amsteel
07-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Which undeserving players can drop out to let AJ and Rios go to KC?

MarySwiss
07-08-2012, 05:40 PM
I might get flamed for this, but I don't care. I really wish I gave a damn about the ASG, but I don't. IMO, it's a beauty contest and a mid-season distraction. Sure if you're a Yankees fan or Rangers fan, you might care, but I plan to find a good movie to watch during the "festivities." Or catch up on my reading. :cool:

ChiSoxGal85
07-08-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm very happy for Jake - he deserves it. Would be nice if AJ would get selected, but without a catcher bowing out, I don't see it happening.

34rancher
07-08-2012, 06:05 PM

Cough#%*Dunn$&#cough.

Congrats to peavy. I have been tough on him, but congrats. Just don't pitch.

fisk4ever
07-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Cough#%*Dunn$&#cough.

There ya go.

Zakath
07-08-2012, 07:26 PM

Alex as well, possibly even more than AJ. He's 7th in the AL in average right now and is not on the team.

samurai_sox
07-08-2012, 07:27 PM
#Taken

Jake Peavy has a certain set of skills.

http://content7.flixster.com/photo/13/98/21/13982137_gal.jpg

WhiteSox5187
07-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Alex as well, possibly even more than AJ. He's 7th in the AL in average right now and is not on the team.

I think AJ is more deserving than Rios if only because AJ is the leader in offensive categories at his position (I know that Mauer has a higher average, OBP and OPS but he has also started nearly as many games at DH and first as he has at catcher).

vinny
07-08-2012, 08:52 PM
I might get flamed for this, but I don't care. I really wish I gave a damn about the ASG, but I don't. IMO, it's a beauty contest and a mid-season distraction. Sure if you're a Yankees fan or Rangers fan, you might care, but I plan to find a good movie to watch during the "festivities." Or catch up on my reading. :cool:

My read is that most on this board, anyway, feel similarly, and just want the laurels for our guys for bragging rights (and to deny a place to a Yankee or Red Sox player). Really, it's a crime that home field advantage in the WS is tied to this joke of a contest.

soxfan1965
07-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Vote often my friends.

Hitmen77
07-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Yeah, but does Jake Peavy own a Mazda dealership?

WisSoxFan
07-08-2012, 09:41 PM
My read is that most on this board, anyway, feel similarly, and just want the laurels for our guys for bragging rights (and to deny a place to a Yankee or Red Sox player). Really, it's a crime that home field advantage in the WS is tied to this joke of a contest.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Frontman
07-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Definitely deserves to go. And I'll echo the comments already posted. I would prefer for both Sale and Jake not to pitch, but I understand why they want to. It's an honor they played their careers to achieve, so an inning of work isn't a bad thing.

I just hope that the result benefits the Sox come late October.....

amsteel
07-08-2012, 09:57 PM
So can MLB reimburse the various places of business around Chicago for the loss in work productivity that occurred while we were voting?

tick53
07-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Schweet!!:D:

34rancher
07-08-2012, 10:06 PM

I'm pretending that by not having sale pitch today and sacrificing the loss his pitching effort in asg will get us home field advantage (and peavy in asg)

tstrike2000
07-08-2012, 10:11 PM

Rios has some pretty stiff competition based on the guys selected, but either Napoli or Wieters aren't as deserving as AJ.

October26
07-09-2012, 07:48 AM

I hear you and agree with you for the most part. For some reason though, I'm a sucker for the final man vote campaigns when it involves a White Sox player as has been the case the last few years. I enjoyed participating in the voting campaigns for Podsednik, Punch AJ, Pauliewood, and now TakeJake. As for the ASG, I usually watch the player introductions and then proceed to catch up on my reading or ironing. Since the weather has cooled a bit in Chicago this week, I might even go outside and work in my garden until the sun goes down. :D:

So can MLB reimburse the various places of business around Chicago for the loss in work productivity that occurred while we were voting?

:lol:

This. I voted until my hand hurt. Many of my Sox fan friends told me they voted day and night. My parents, who are both retired, saw how determined I was and helped me vote via my laptop and also via text.

We (my mom, dad, & I) were so happy to hear the news last night that Peavy is indeed going to the All-Star game. So happy for him; Congrats, Jake! :bandance:

jdm2662
07-09-2012, 10:11 AM
I will watch the all-star game if I have nothing to do. However, there are lots of stuff I need to get done this week. Last week, half of the week I had no power, and the other half was WAY too hot to be outside. With no Sox for four days, sounds like a good chance to get stuff done.

#1swisher
07-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Congrats, Jake! :gulp:

TDog
07-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Me too. Actually I'd prefer if Jake and Sale both sat.

That's not going to happen, certainly not with Sale. I would have preferred to see Sale pitch on Sunday to make his chance of pitching minimal. If you can start your best pitcher the day before the break, and your break is four days, the rest is built in to the schedule to start consecutive games.

Ventura seems sensitive to what players would prefer. Pitching in the All-Star Game seems important to Sale. Sale is probably happier down the line if he has a chance to pitch. Another possibility is that the White Sox are simply skipping a Sale start, concerned about his workload, and pitching a couple of innings between starts with maybe 10-days of rest is better for him physically.

In any event, Sale will pitch, and Peavy will probably pitch. If the game goes extra-innings, as it sometimes does, Peavy may pitch more than an inning or two.

I used to watch the All-Star Game to see Sox players. Now when I watch, I dread seeing them get into the game if the Sox are contending. It's a great honor, but Konerko hasn't been the same hitter since his hand was treated, and he could probably use the rest. I hope he only shows up as a pinch-hitter. Ideally, I would like to see Sale and/or Peavy just get a few one-pitch outs. The introductions are nice, though.