PDA

View Full Version : White Sox 1st half MVP.

Noneck
07-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Who do you think it was?

LITTLE NELL
07-08-2012, 02:14 PM
3 way tie, PK, Sale and Rios. Honorable mention to AJ and Jake. Hard to disregard Dunn but all these Ks drive me nuts.

Frater Perdurabo
07-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Who do you think it was?

Before answering, I need to know what a "halg" is.

:)

I think it's Chris Sale.

Noneck
07-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Before answering, I need to know what a "halg" is.

Its watching the game and not paying enough attention prior to posting. Thanks to the mod for the correction.

mzh
07-08-2012, 02:39 PM
I think it has to be Rios. He's done everything- average, good dose of power, and a good glove in right field. Considering how lethargic he was for most of last year, he's put them back into a lot of games where they otherwise might have rolled over and died.

bluedemon45
07-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Its a real tough choice- but I have to go with Sale. We never thought at the beginning of the year that he'd step into a starters role and win 10 games. He might even be the starter for the Allstar team.

Daver
07-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Robin Ventura.

getonbckthr
07-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Combo of Sale, Peavy and Quintana. They have been dominant all year keeping us in games until our offense can score as well as limiting the bullpens work load.

soxfanreggie
07-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Sale followed closely by PK

BigKlu59
07-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Sale... I'll hold off on the others till the pennant drive when "MVP" knocks at the right time bring the Silverware to the South Side. Then I'll angst over picking co-winners out of 9 possible candidates.

BK59

Moses_Scurry
07-08-2012, 04:10 PM
I'm giving it to Rios just because his turnaround from last season is so amazing.

soxinem1
07-08-2012, 04:37 PM
#23, then Sale, then PK, then all of the others.

asindc
07-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Rios.

central44
07-08-2012, 05:09 PM
I'm picking Konerko because he plays almost every day--but if I have to pick a pitcher i'd choose Quintana just because of how he's responded to the circumstances.

He may not be as good as Peavy or Sale, but the Sox have asked a LOT from him and he's come through every time. Having three excellent starters is very different from only having two.

StillMissOzzie
07-08-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm split between Rios and Sale, with honorable mention to PK & AJ.

Kinda nice when you actually HAVE a tough choice, ain't it?

SMO
:D::gulp:

sox1970
07-08-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm split between Rios and Sale, with honorable mention to PK & AJ.

Kinda nice when you actually HAVE a tough choice, ain't it?

SMO
:D::gulp:

Yeah, I'd echo all of this.

To tell you the truth, with all of the good stuff that happened in the first half, I actually think the Sox underachieved in the win-loss record. They probably should have a few more wins, and that includes the couple gift wins they already got.

Noneck
07-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Robin Ventura.

Yea maybe I should have put Robin on the list but then I would have to put on Kenneth. I sure as heck didnt want another thread about Williams out there.

delben91
07-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Konerko carried the offense for the early part of the year, so he gets my vote.

WSox597
07-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Robin Ventura.

This is true, what a difference from last year.

voodoochile
07-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Robin Ventura.

Actually not a bad selection, but of the players I went with Peavy, not necessarily because his numbers are better than Sale or Rios or Konerko (the other three obvious choices) but because, IMO, from early in the year, Jake set the tone for this team. He's been all business and clearly is pitching like someone with something to prove. From my perspective he has been the guy who more than anything exemplifies the way the team refuses to stop fighting. Jake's been rock solid even before this team looked like it could be a contender.

wassagstdu
07-08-2012, 07:09 PM
DeAza has made the biggest difference from 2011, allowing Rios to move to right where he is comfortable and solidifying OF defense, while providing the spark at the top of the order that makes the offense go.

Zakath
07-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Had to go with Alex. At the All-Star Break last year, he was hitting .213 with an OPS of .572, and finished with 44 RBI for the entire season. This year, he's at .318 with an OPS of .874, and already has 49 RBI.

Another guy who should have been on the All-Star team.

tstrike2000
07-08-2012, 07:50 PM
I have to say Chris Sale, by a decent margin. He's been an absolute stud and without his stability in the rotation, we would be at or below .500.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Actually not a bad selection, but of the players I went with Peavy, not necessarily because his numbers are better than Sale or Rios or Konerko (the other three obvious choices) but because, IMO, from early in the year, Jake set the tone for this team. He's been all business and clearly is pitching like someone with something to prove. From my perspective he has been the guy who more than anything exemplifies the way the team refuses to stop fighting. Jake's been rock solid even before this team looked like it could be a contender.

He's finally learned to "shut up and pitch!"

mikesouthside
07-08-2012, 08:29 PM
All of the above. Great first half. (I picked AJ after watching Flowers today...ha)

Noneck
07-08-2012, 08:57 PM
I made this poll because I really dont know who I think was the 1st half player MVP. The more supporting arguments for different players, the more I dont know who it was.

slavko
07-08-2012, 09:13 PM
I made this poll because I really dont know who I think was the 1st half player MVP. The more supporting arguments for different players, the more I dont know who it was.

This is the kind of tough choice I like. Can't decide either. That's a good thing.

Daver
07-08-2012, 09:23 PM

That is exactly why it is Robin Ventura.

Noneck
07-08-2012, 09:54 PM

Thanks for making me more confused.

Daver
07-08-2012, 11:20 PM
My work here is finished.

chisoxfanatic
07-08-2012, 11:29 PM
I have to say Chris Sale, by a decent margin. He's been an absolute stud and without his stability in the rotation, we would be at or below .500.
Like Verlander last year, Sale has prohibited this team from going into a long losing streak. He's been a constant in the rotation.

Carneyman14
07-09-2012, 11:37 AM
I voted for Sale, just because we needed a shut down ace. But they are all valuable. I would think Dunn would be at the bottom, just because if we lost him it wouldn't be a huge blow to us. We lose any of the other guys in the 2nd half and we would be in trouble.

24thStFan
07-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Sale because of his consistency. Others have had good stretches (e.g., Konerko) but have been inconsistent. Chris has been good the entire first half.

Keep it going boys!

JB98
07-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Tough call between Rios and Sale, but I went with Rios just because he's making a positive impact nearly every day. Sale has performed great every fifth day.

ChiSoxGal85
07-09-2012, 12:25 PM
I can't choose the first half MVP, because there are too many who deserve it!! :bandance:

PaleHoser
07-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Robin Ventura + coaching staff.

Can you imagine who spazzed out Ozzie would be with eight rookie pitchers? The kids would never have a chance.

Irishsox1
07-09-2012, 01:35 PM
I went with DeAza. He doesn't have the MVP numbers of other Sox players but he's very important for stabilizing the outfield, a good lead off hitter and allowed Rios to go to right where he is much better. He fixed a lot of problems that have hurt the team the last couple of years.

BringBackBlkJack
07-09-2012, 02:13 PM
My decision came down to Konerko and Sale. I went with Konerko because he's an everyday player, and also to those who mention Ventura as a candidate, I believe Konerko has undoubtedly made Ventura's transition a hell of a lot easier. PK's the captain of the clubhouse and I would wager he has been instrumental in steadying the ship for Robin.

Knowing what I thought of the team coming into the season, I love that this poll even exists, let alone how many valid options there are.

kufram
07-09-2012, 02:28 PM
I can't choose the first half MVP, because there are too many who deserve it!! :bandance:

This. Too many contributors to pick out one most valuable but I would give credit to Ventura for sticking with his plan when things didn't look too good.

bigdommer
07-09-2012, 02:35 PM
I went with Sale as I received the following text from my cousin and diehard Yankee fan: "I hope we don't draw you first round. I don't want to see Sale twice in a short series."

I like De Aza to win my "glue guy" award. He has been a great combination of defense, leadoff hitter, base stealer, and all around catalyst. When he drilled that ball of his knee last week I really worried about the lineup if he went out, as he would be pretty tough to replace.

everafan
07-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Can get behind Sale for MVP becaue he can only influence 20% of the outcomes. I went with Rios due to his overall contributions, skewed heavily toward offensive production.

beasly213
07-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Churros.

VenturaFan23
07-09-2012, 04:10 PM
All of the above + Ventura/coaching staff.

thomas35forever
07-09-2012, 04:15 PM
It's a very tough call, but since the offense has finally come alive to compliment our strong rotation, I have to give it to Paulie as the catalyst of the lineup. It could easily go to anybody, but Paulie provides the leadership that allows the hitters to perform game in and game out. I give it to him.

sullythered
07-09-2012, 04:43 PM
It goes to show you what kinda year this has been when we have two All-Stars who each only have one vote for team MVP.

DumpJerry
07-09-2012, 05:21 PM
I was all set to vote for the Churro guy behind 110, but decided I had to go with the guy who sells the flautas.

Kenny, even though technically he's not a "player." He's the one who hired Robin. He's the one who drafted Sale. He's the one who got Youkilis.

wsoxfan
07-09-2012, 06:22 PM
I don't think I could vote for one single person either. From Kenny to the coaching staff and down the line. Even Quintana should get honorable mention for stepping up big time when Danks and Humber went down with injuries. Who knows where they'd be without his contributions so I vote all of the above personally.

DeadMoney
07-09-2012, 06:29 PM
I voted Rios, but it's impossible to choose for me.

What a difference a year makes though... Last All-Star break, Dunn and Rios were talking about how it was on them to get going in the second half to get the team going. This year, we're talking about 4 All-Stars (Dunn being one of them) and two - pretty big - snubs in Rios and Pierzynski.

BigKlu59
07-09-2012, 10:24 PM
I voted Rios, but it's impossible to choose for me.

What a difference a year makes though... Last All-Star break, Dunn and Rios were talking about how it was on them to get going in the second half to get the team going. This year, we're talking about 4 All-Stars (Dunn being one of them) and two - pretty big - snubs in Rios and Pierzynski.

Funny how thats the team thats always been there since 2005 and when they are under the helm of a non distractive straight shooter they come to the park to play every day as a team.. Kudos to Robin. He controls the "Mental" in the game, so his players dont become "Mental Cases"...

BK59

Noneck
07-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Its been a great 1st half and its very hard to disagree with anyone's choice for MVP. The one thing that really sticks out to me is the huge discrepancy in votes for Sale and Peavy. Statistically they are not that far apart. I think the reasons for the huge discrepancy is Sales number of wins and the fact that Sale is the Sox future. I myself could never vote a pitcher as a MVP though. Rios and Pauls stats are very similar also. The rest of Rios game (fielding and base running) has has been better than Pauls. But Paul is the guy that brought the Sox out of the gate with a great first 2 months which the Sox sorely needed. De Aza has been the leadoff hitter that the Sox have needed for years and his play in center has really solidified the outfield defense. AJ is having the type of year that I wish he would have had for all the previous years with the Sox. Maybe if AJ would have taken that power out his back pocket previously, the Sox wouldnt have had to dig deep in their pocket for a left handed power DH and used the money for a couple young position players or pitching. Finally after much thought I will go with the intangibles and seniority that the captain has brought to this club.

TDog
07-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Overall, the success this season has been a true team effort. If not for the overall strong pitching, the offense might not have a chance to shine. Offensively, Konerko carried the team for awhile. Last week, Youkilis was the offensive MVP. Rios may have been the most valuable, especially if you include his defense. Including defense, I would put Ramirez on the next level, probably with Pierzynski and De Aza, ahead of Viciedo, Dunn and Beckham. Those 1-10 votes that the BBWAA gets must be difficult to fill out precisely. There have been one or two games where Hudson was the MVP.

I don't know that Youkilis will continue to be the offensive force he has been since the Whtie Sox acquired him, but if he does, he could end up the team's MVP for the season. But overall I would probably put Rios first and Konerko a very close second.

The White Sox are tied for second in the American League in sacrifice bunts at the break, so I don't see how anyone could consider Ventura responsible for the team's success.

GoSox2K3
07-11-2012, 04:52 PM

Perhaps "Ozzie's Absence" is the MVP.

....maybe that shouldn't be in teal.