PDA

View Full Version : coming out of the closet

cheeses_h_rice
08-08-2001, 12:53 PM
I suppose this is the sort of crap I have to brace myself for much, much, much more of this year...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/ravech_karl/index.html

Spiff
08-08-2001, 01:07 PM
The Sox haven't won the World Series in nearly a century, I don't see anyone feeling sorry for them.

"How can you not root for the Cubs?" "How can you not get pumped up for the next month and a half?"

How can you not have an original thought.

cheeses_h_rice
08-08-2001, 01:13 PM
Exactly my sentiment.

Look at this sentence:

"At some point, we must all confess to being closet Cubs fans"

What sort of self-aggrandizing hubris is this? You're celebrating the fact that you suck? In other words, it's better to really, really suck (as the Flubs have) than to try and compete (as the Sox have, at least lately)? It's better to choke away an 8.5 game lead midway through August than to hold onto one for an entire season like the Sox did?

I gotta tell ya, that's the most successful marketing campaign in the history of marketing. You get more "fans" by being really wretched than if you actually were a decent team.

Amazing.

Bmr31
08-08-2001, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Exactly my sentiment.

Look at this sentence:

"At some point, we must all confess to being closet Cubs fans"

What sort of self-aggrandizing hubris is this? You're celebrating the fact that you suck? In other words, it's better to really, really suck (as the Flubs have) than to try and compete (as the Sox have, at least lately)? It's better to choke away an 8.5 game lead midway through August than to hold onto one for an entire season like the Sox did?

I gotta tell ya, that's the most successful marketing campaign in the history of marketing. You get more "fans" by being really wretched than if you actually were a decent team.

Amazing.

Its a great marketing ploy.....it makes all the "losers" in the world, feel part of something bigger.... :)

cheeses_h_rice
08-08-2001, 01:17 PM
Well, let's just hope that this year provides yet another Tale of Misery for these closet idiots. I mean, they wouldn't actually want to win anything, would they?

Spiff
08-08-2001, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
In other words, it's better to really, really suck (as the Flubs have) than to try and compete (as the Sox have, at least lately)? It's better to choke away an 8.5 game lead midway through August than to hold onto one for an entire season like the Sox did?

YES! That's what burns me about the whole Cubbie love-fest. Does anyone love the Bengals or the Clippers because they suck? NO they say get your act together and we'll pay attention.

Chisox353014
08-08-2001, 02:49 PM
There are bats on the Indians bench that the Twins would love to have in their lineup -- like Russell Branyan

OK-that just proves how big of an idiot this guy is. Why in hell would the Twins, a team of contact hitters tailor-made to single and double teams to death in the Crapdome, want to replace Koskie or Ortiz with a .230-hitting "slugger" who strikes out every other at bat? With a baseball IQ this low, it's not surprising he's riding the Cubbie Luv-Rocket.

Fisk Fan
08-08-2001, 05:02 PM
I thought you were talking about these two "coming out" together....

:barney&sham