PDA

View Full Version : Umps will be umps...

Tragg
07-07-2012, 03:23 PM
The first base ump just ejected Greinke for spiking the ball after a close play at first on the second batter of the game. Doesn't look like he said a word. Brewer's manager ejected about 10 seconds later.

Just pitiful officiating.

Boondock Saint
07-07-2012, 03:47 PM
The first base ump just ejected Greinke for spiking the ball after a close play at first on the second batter of the game. Doesn't look like he said a word. Brewer's manager ejected about 10 seconds later.

Just pitiful officiating.

What a shocker- it's Joe West's crew.

TDog
07-07-2012, 04:57 PM
If you're going to eject Mark Buehrle for dropping his glove after being called for a balk, it is consistent to eject a pitcher for spiking a baseball after a call on a play at first went against him. I would have expected Grienke to be ejected there. One of my earliest radio baseball memories is Mickey Mantle being ejected for throwing his bat.

RKMeibalane
07-07-2012, 06:12 PM
If you're going to eject Mark Buehrle for dropping his glove after being called for a balk, it is consistent to eject a pitcher for spiking a baseball after a call on a play at first went against him. I would have expected Grienke to be ejected there. One of my earliest radio baseball memories is Mickey Mantle being ejected for throwing his bat.

:rolleyes:

ComiskeyBrewer
07-07-2012, 06:38 PM
This is no different than a batter slamming his helmet in frustration after getting stuck out(and they are never ejected unless they say something to the ump). Greinke said nothing to anyone, just slammed it in front of 1st. After the ejection you can even read his lips where he tells the ump "i was frustrated at myself". Now, should he have done that? No. But it's not worthy of an ejection 2 batters into the game(had this been later in the game, and Greinke had been mouthing off to the umps, then maybe). This wasn't directed at a fan, the opposing team or the officials. No reason to eject him.

RKMeibalane
07-07-2012, 06:50 PM
And of course, Joe West had to stick his nose in this mess, as both Greinke and Roenicke were involved in arguments with him after they were finished screaming at first base umpire Sam Holbrook.

TDog
07-07-2012, 07:05 PM

I don't know why I should get an eye roll for believing when I saw the play live that Grienke would get ejected. Mark Buehrle was ejected for less.

central44
07-07-2012, 09:51 PM
I don't know why I should get an eye roll for believing when I saw the play live that Grienke would get ejected. Mark Buehrle was ejected for less.

I'm not surprised he got ejected based on the crew. But that was pretty terrible of them. Grienke didn't hurt anyone, didn't show anyone up, didn't really do anything other than throw a minor tantrum that was 100% harmless and based on his frustration with *himself.*

Officials need to stay out of the way and let the players play. When they influence games with very little reason--like this case--then there's a problem.

SI1020
07-07-2012, 11:18 PM
I'm not surprised he got ejected based on the crew. But that was pretty terrible of them. Grienke didn't hurt anyone, didn't show anyone up, didn't really do anything other than throw a minor tantrum that was 100% harmless and based on his frustration with *himself.*

Officials need to stay out of the way and let the players play. When they influence games with very little reason--like this case--then there's a problem. I just watched the video. There was no reason to eject Greinke. Should he have spiked the ball? Of course not, but at the same time any reasonable person could see that it was not directed at the first base umpire. MLB umpires get more thin skinned with each passing year. Plus the fact that they blow far too many important calls. They are not the game. Somebody in power needs to make them be aware of that in no uncertain terms. That was a totally unnecessary ejection.

TDog
07-08-2012, 12:33 PM

Officials need to stay out of the way and let the players play. When they influence games with very little reason--like this case--then there's a problem.

If this had happened to Zambrano, the ejection would be celebrated.

RKMeibalane
07-08-2012, 12:35 PM
If this had happened to Zambrano, the ejection would be celebrated.

SI1020
07-08-2012, 12:48 PM
If this had happened to Zambrano, the ejection would be celebrated. Not if he did exactly what Greinke did. Greinke did not challenge the umpire in any way, did not say a word about the call. In fact he said he thought the runner was safe after the game and in general bent over backwards to take the high road. Umpires are just becoming insufferable. I'm ready for the computers and the robots.

RKMeibalane
07-08-2012, 01:49 PM
The Brewers decided to send Greinke back out for today's game, and he gave up three runs in the first inning. But the real question is: will he be mad at himself? :cool:

TDog
07-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Not if he did exactly what Greinke did. Greinke did not challenge the umpire in any way, did not say a word about the call. In fact he said he thought the runner was safe after the game and in general bent over backwards to take the high road. Umpires are just becoming insufferable. I'm ready for the computers and the robots.

If I am watching a game, and I see exactly what I saw while I was watching the Grienke play, I would expect the player to be ejected. When I see something like that, I expect a player to be ejected. Players get ejected for spking bats at the plate after they are called out on strikes. I don't know why people are surprised with this ejection.

mzh
07-08-2012, 05:02 PM
If players get ejected for spiking bats AJ wouldn't make it through the 5th inning of most of the season.

ohiosoxfan
07-08-2012, 06:49 PM
You forget that THOUSANDS of people have paid big bucks to see umpires at the ir craft!

RKMeibalane
07-08-2012, 07:30 PM
You forget that THOUSANDS of people have paid big bucks to see umpires at the ir craft!

This is teal.

SI1020
07-08-2012, 07:48 PM
If I am watching a game, and I see exactly what I saw while I was watching the Grienke play, I would expect the player to be ejected. When I see something like that, I expect a player to be ejected. Players get ejected for spking bats at the plate after they are called out on strikes. I don't know why people are surprised with this ejection.The home plate umpire D.J. Reyburn was having a bad day calling balls and strikes in today's Sox vs Jays game. In the bottom of the 7th Alexandro De Aza got called out on strikes and proceeded to slam his helmet and get in Reyburn's face. No ejection. Finally in the top of the 9th our mild mannered manager Robin Ventura had enough and went out Earl Weaver style toe to toe with Reyburn and was promptly ejected. Umpires, even those the caliber of Joe West don't always have their trigger finger on the ejection button. Every time a player slams a bat or helmet or yells at an umpire there is not an automatic heave ho. If you think that every time a player shows emotion he will be ejected, or that Greinke deserved his then there is nothing else I can say.

WhiteSox5187
07-08-2012, 08:33 PM

This is teal.

Sorry for the hijack but I prefer the color posted above to teal. I wish that color could be used for something!

voodoochile
07-08-2012, 09:56 PM
If I am watching a game, and I see exactly what I saw while I was watching the Grienke play, I would expect the player to be ejected. When I see something like that, I expect a player to be ejected. Players get ejected for spking bats at the plate after they are called out on strikes. I don't know why people are surprised with this ejection.

I don't think people are surprised more so given the crew that called the game, but it's disappointing that the umps had such a huge impact on a game.

Fast thumbs suck. At least in the Buehrle situation you could see the frustration coming as it was the second balk call of the game and their had been at least looks exchanged prior to it. Sounds like this was spur of the moment.

Umps need to grow thicker skin.

Nellie_Fox
07-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Sorry for the hijack but I prefer the color posted above to teal. I wish that color could be used for something!It's "deep sky blue."

soxfanreggie
07-09-2012, 08:38 AM
And of course, Joe West had to stick his nose in this mess, as both Greinke and Roenicke were involved in arguments with him after they were finished screaming at first base umpire Sam Holbrook.

But...but...but...you mean people aren't there to see Joe West?!?!?!?!? :D:

Can he just go already? Maybe he can ride off in the sunset with Angel Hernandez and CB Bucknor!

wilburaga
07-09-2012, 10:23 AM
I've been watching baseball a fairly long time, and I don't recall anyone spiking the baseball. I think a no tolerance policy by the umpires is reasonable.

If Greinke is indeed being showcased, I don't think he drove his price up this weekend.