ghostface36
07-07-2012, 12:50 PM
??
Haven't heard that name in a while

Frater Perdurabo
07-07-2012, 01:00 PM
??

He has to get his back rehabbed. Then he needs to prove he can still field and hit, likely at Charlotte. If so, then he should return to the Sox on Sept. 1. Barring a free agent signing or trade, or the Sox offering Youkilis arbitration or a new deal, Morel is our best hope at the hot corner in 2013.

DSpivack
07-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Charlotte.

white sox bill
07-07-2012, 01:29 PM
If hes due back in September at least the roster will have been expanded to accomodate him. Then maybe we will get a idea what we have w/him

Noneck
07-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Back problems dont bode well for a ball player, its really tough to predict what will happen to Morel.

LITTLE NELL
07-07-2012, 02:47 PM
According to Baseball Reference the Sox can keep Youk in 2013 for $13,000,000 or buy him out for 1,000,000 and he becomes a free agent.
If he keeps going the rest of the year like he has so far I think we have to spend the 13 million and keep him or maybe renegotiate for another couple of years. What that would do to Morel is anyone's guess.

Frater Perdurabo
07-07-2012, 03:26 PM
According to Baseball Reference the Sox can keep Yuke in 2013 for $13,000,000 or buy him out for 1,000,000 and he becomes a free agent.
If he keeps going the rest of the year like he has so far I think we have to spend the 13 million and keep him or maybe renegotiate for another couple of years. What that would do to Morel is anyone's guess.

If the Sox win the division, KW will have some interesting decisions to make, specifically with Youkilis' and Peavy's options. And if you keep those guys, don't you have to bring back AJ?

Tragg
07-07-2012, 03:46 PM
If the Sox win the division, KW will have some interesting decisions to make, specifically with Youkilis' and Peavy's options. And if you keep those guys, don't you have to bring back AJ?

Just sign who you think you need the most and get get through other avenues. You don't owe anyone anything.
The thing we have now, though, is two number 1 quality starters plus what I see as a MB clone (at least so far). We've never had that in ages. Exciting.

As for Morel, you hit it above. The main consideration is to get him ready for next year....get him healed and as much time at the plate as you can give him in Charlotte. Absolutely don't put him on the ML roster until his time's up in Charlotte. We don't need him but he needs experience.

Noneck
07-07-2012, 06:43 PM
If the Sox win the division, KW will have some interesting decisions to make, specifically with Youkilis' and Peavy's options.

I believe they will have to go a lot deeper than just winning the division, maybe winning it all and maybe not, for the Sox to put out out 35M for 2 guys.

slavko
07-07-2012, 07:08 PM
According to Baseball Reference the Sox can keep Youk in 2013 for $13,000,000 or buy him out for 1,000,000 and he becomes a free agent.

Visions of Gary Gaetti, but this guy's younger and better. If there was money to keep him or Peavy, it's probably going to be Youk.

A. Cavatica
07-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Back problems dont bode well for a ball player, its really tough to predict what will happen to Morel.

Youk also has back problems.

Noneck
07-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Youk also has back problems.

I know, so did Melton and Crede. All I want is for the youk to get through the second half of this season.

samurai_sox
07-08-2012, 12:02 AM
??

I never heard that name period.

I have heard of Brent Morel though.

Nellie_Fox
07-08-2012, 01:57 AM
I guess if people can't get Alexei's name right after five seasons, I shouldn't be surprised that someone would call Brent Morel "Brett."

bigdommer
07-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Just sign who you think you need the most and get get through other avenues. You don't owe anyone anything.
The thing we have now, though, is two number 1 quality starters plus what I see as a MB clone (at least so far). We've never had that in ages. Exciting.
e.

I don't think it's about "owing" anything to anyone, but more about going for it or not. If KW feels comfortable with Sale, Danks, Q, Floyd, and Humber/Ax, then Peavy is expendable. However, Peavy's production cannot be replaced without either committing more total $ to a FA or shipping out prospects. And if you bring back Jake, you have one of the best staffs in MLB, so why risk that with a young inexperienced catcher. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gavin dealt for prospects and his $ used to pay Jake. It comes down to if you value Jake more at $18MM than Gavin at $9.5MM. Jake is immovable and IIRC you can't offer arbitration if you buy him out.

Tragg
07-08-2012, 11:16 AM
I don't think it's about "owing" anything to anyone, but more about going for it or not. If KW feels comfortable with Sale, Danks, Q, Floyd, and Humber/Ax, then Peavy is expendable. However, Peavy's production cannot be replaced without either committing more total $ to a FA or shipping out prospects. And if you bring back Jake, you have one of the best staffs in MLB, so why risk that with a young inexperienced catcher. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gavin dealt for prospects and his $ used to pay Jake. It comes down to if you value Jake more at $18MM than Gavin at $9.5MM. Jake is immovable and IIRC you can't offer arbitration if you buy him out.
The problem with Youk and Peavy, imo, is that both will have open market values below the option price. That makes it tough to exercise one, much less both.
There are a lot of other issues as well: Alexei, Viciedo, Beckham are having offensive problems....if AJ, Rios, Dunn and De Aza cool off, those holes will become more glaring. Two future starters - Morel and Flowers, are struggling as well. (I do think Flowers can handle the pitching staff - at least I've seen nothing that says he can't). And we just don't have much in the way of position prospects to help - we just don't.
We aren't going to stay the same.

DumpJerry
07-08-2012, 11:25 AM
??

I've never heard that name and I've been a Sox fan since about 1971.

I guess if people can't get Alexei's name right after five seasons, I shouldn't be surprised that someone would call Brent Morel "Brett."

white sox bill
07-08-2012, 11:46 AM
I know, so did Melton and Crede. All I want is for the youk to get through the second half of this season.
Someone please check the water at 35th and Shields