PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 7-6 Peavy plucks Jay feathers; SOX 4 TOR 2 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
07-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Nice to get Jake the win

gobears1987
07-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Tribe finally lost a game too!

hoosiersoxfan
07-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Guarantees that Sox will go into the Allstar Break alone atop the AL Central! Hopefully its a 5 game lead rather than 1 game.

all*star quentin
07-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Keep winning boys! :gulp:

34rancher
07-06-2012, 09:47 PM
They are on fire right now. I almost wish the weather would stay this way and no all star break.
Interesting thought though in game thread. Will Dunn have have lowest number of singles by all star in history?

JB98
07-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Peavy was overdue for a win. He's pitched almost as well as Sale, yet he has three fewer victories.

We could use a laugher tomorrow, because Reed has worked three straight days. It was a struggling save for him tonight. They can't all be easy.

Nelfox02
07-06-2012, 09:53 PM
setting up to be an exciting second half.......nice win tonight against a team that normally smacks up around. another big hit by youk

picked up a game on the tribe.....sox picked the right time to get hot since DET is making a little noise the last few days

keep it up------need a good one from Gavin tomorrow

everafan
07-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Just bought tix for tomorrow. Go Gavin!!!

CHISOXFAN13
setting up to be an exciting second half.......nice win tonight against a team that normally smacks up around. another big hit by youk

picked up a game on the tribe.....sox picked the right time to get hot since DET is making a little noise the last few days

keep it up------need a good one from Gavin tomorrow

The positive is the Sox are doing it against good teams. Detroit has won three in a row, but needed to win the final two against the Twins to salvage a tie.

The schedule, at least on paper, is certainly in the Sox favor in the second half.

34rancher
Crazy fact for tonight. AJ Has almost caught Mauer for ops. He is currently 2nd on sox behind Paulie. Great job AJ. .870 OPS. WOW. And still catching the rooks.
LOVE THIS GUY!

34rancher
07-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Peavy was overdue for a win. He's pitched almost as well as Sale, yet he has three fewer victories.

We could use a laugher tomorrow, because Reed has worked three straight days. It was a struggling save for him tonight. They can't all be easy.

I agree about Reed. But his testicular fortitude was impressive by not getting rattled and getting out of his inning. Impressive for young guy. Thornton is really doing a great veteran job down there.

FielderJones
07-06-2012, 10:02 PM

I was not happy Robin trotted Reed out there a third consecutive game. Thornton could have easily finished this one up, and save Reed for tomorrow. But all's well that ends well.

guillensdisciple
07-06-2012, 10:05 PM
White sox winning the ship boys.!!

I'm getting the bubbly ready

PalehosePlanet
07-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Just bought tix for tomorrow. Go Gavin!!!

Yes go Gavin! And Sox killer Ricky Romero has been struggling of late, walking guys left and right. If we can lay off the changeup in the dirt, we'll get to him.

Another great out by the bulldog, Jake, tonight. Going to the 5th it looked like it might be another hard luck night, but Dayan started the rally by ripping a double into the LF corner; had a good feeling after that.

Brian26
07-06-2012, 10:11 PM
They are on fire right now.

10 wins in the last 13 games and at the highwater mark of the year, nine games over .500.

:winner:

slavko
07-06-2012, 10:12 PM
I was not happy Robin trotted Reed out there a third consecutive game. Thornton could have easily finished this one up, and save Reed for tomorrow. But all's well that ends well.

I'm right with you there. Thornton has discovered mixing up his pitches and I trust him like I haven't in a long time. But not as primary closer. Been there, done that.

palehozenychicty
07-06-2012, 10:23 PM
I like this win. Youkilis is still on it. I'm not saying that he will keep it up, but it will be nice if he can do it.

cub killer
07-06-2012, 10:24 PM
White sox winning the ship boys.!!

I'm getting the bubbly ready

Shhhh!!! Dear baseball gods, he was just kidding! Don't punish us for this!!
:D:

This is such an awesome summer. How could you not love watching this team??? 3 game lead, a nice crooked number :gulp:

34rancher
07-06-2012, 10:25 PM
10 wins in the last 13 games and at the highwater mark of the year, nine games over .500.

They also have finally gotten to place where they would be first in another division and second in every other one. Don't stop now boys.

The Immigrant
07-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Boy, this has been a fun team to watch since the June 22 loss to Greinke.

StillMissOzzie
07-06-2012, 10:43 PM
I am happy that they finally scored a few for the Jakemeister. Dude has been pitching his heart out and neither he nor the team have diddly squat to show for them, prior to tonight.

SMO
:gulp:

SoxSpeed22
07-06-2012, 10:55 PM
In all of the years he's been here, I have never seen Thorny buckle anyone with a breaking ball for strike 3. Maybe that's a good sign of things to come. Jake was on today and the defense really backed him up, especially Beckham. We all get the feeling that AJ was a little miffed about not being an All-Star. All in all, nice night and first place is guaranteed by the break.

aryzner
07-06-2012, 11:08 PM
I love the Chicago White Sox.

That is all.

johnnyg83
07-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Godamn I love a Friday win!

Peavy's WHIP still under 1.00. That is just silly.

EDIT:DARVISH AT 1.36 WHIP FWIW

johnnyg83
07-06-2012, 11:14 PM
In all of the years he's been here, I have never seen Thorny buckle anyone with a breaking ball for strike 3. Maybe that's a good sign of things to come. Jake was on today and the defense really backed him up, especially Beckham. We all get the feeling that AJ was a little miffed about not being an All-Star. All in all, nice night and first place is guaranteed by the break.

Crazy. I thought he was a 3 pitch: 2 seam FB , 4 seam FB, hard slider guy. And he threw a change and curve tonight, or were my eyes playing tricks on me?

BigHurt3515
07-06-2012, 11:55 PM
Great night at the ballpark!! Love going to the stadium and watching the Sox. And the fireworks were an added bonus!

PeteWard
07-07-2012, 12:35 AM

I thought the same thing but then remembered that Thornton going back to 2010 has been less than stellar when coming back in the ninth inning after closing the eighth. At least it seems that way. I could be wrong

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-07-2012, 12:39 AM
I thought the same thing but then remembered that Thornton going back to 2010 has been less than stellar when coming back in the ninth inning after closing the eighth. At least it seems that way. I could be wrong

He's been less than stellar in the ninth whether he pitches the eighth or not

Nellie_Fox
07-07-2012, 12:45 AM
I was not happy Robin trotted Reed out there a third consecutive game. Thornton could have easily finished this one up, and save Reed for tomorrow. But all's well that ends well.Matt going a second inning seldom works out well.

LITTLE NELL
07-07-2012, 05:35 AM

Thornton has a very hard time closing, the 8th inning is his.

PS. By voting for Peavy for the All Staar game I got 2 free weeks of MLB on the computer. I was surprised at how good the picture was, I did lose my browser twice during the game and had to re-boot. I don't know if the feed caused the browser to go down or if it was the usual IE hangups.

PSS. How funny was it before the game and Thornton leading his rookie ducklings out to the bullpen on a string.
Great sign along with Beckham's impersonation of Peavy the other day that the boys are having fun.

SephClone89
07-07-2012, 06:06 AM
Matt going a second inning seldom works out well.

Actually...

I was curious so I looked up his game log since '08 or so on Baseball Ref, and sorted by number of IP per game. There doesn't seem to be a significant change in Thornton's effectiveness or performance, whether he's going a single inning or if he's going four to six outs (especially when you take into consideration that you would expect him to give up more runs/hits the more outs he pitches).

You can look it up for yourself, but for example: so far, in this half season, Thornton has pitched over 1 IP on three occasions and has not given up a walk, a run or a hit. Obviously, that's a small sample size. So we could go back to last year, when his struggles were pretty well documented. Of the 16 times he pitched more than inning, he gave up 23 walks or hits, and nine runs. Not too bad for 26 innings of work.

Looks like it's just a case of perception and not necessarily hard fact.

Note: This doesn't include outings where he started a second inning and didn't retire a batter, though those are very few. There was one bad instance of that last year, but even including that it still isn't a horrible showing--it's arguably a pretty good showing. Relievers can't be perfect. They're by definition inconsistent and kind of mediocre...that's why they're relievers.

October26
07-07-2012, 07:22 AM

PS. By voting for Peavy for the All Staar game I got 2 free weeks of MLB on the computer. I was surprised at how good the picture was, I did lose my browser twice during the game and had to re-boot. I don't know if the feed caused the browser to go down or if it was the usual IE hangups.

PSS. How funny was it before the game and Thornton leading his rookie ducklings out to the bullpen on a string.
Great sign along with Beckham's impersonation of Peavy the other day that the boys are having fun.

Yes, that Beckham video is absolutely hilarious. :lol: I've enjoyed seeing it several times now and it just keeps getting better every time I watch it.

As for last night's Sox game, it was so much fun to watch - again! I, too, love that the Sox scored some runs and Peavy got the win. Oh, and this Youkilis fellow? He's pretty good. :cool:

First place feels great - :bandance:- keep on winning, White Sox!

doublem23
07-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Matt going a second inning seldom works out well.

Matt being asked to close out games seldom works well, too

Golden Sox
07-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Last night at 10:30PM I turned on Comcast Sports Net to see the White Sox highlights. They opened up the first 10 minutes of the show with the Cubs highlights. Evidently they think its more important showing the Cubs getting out of last place than it is showing the White Sox trying to get into the playoffs this year. I realize the co host was the Cubs ass kisser David Kaplan, but you still would of thought that the White Sox were the most important story of the evening.

Frater Perdurabo
07-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Last night at 10:30PM I turned on Comcast Sports Net to see the White Sox highlights. They opened up the first 10 minutes of the show with the Cubs highlights. Evidently they think its more important showing the Cubs getting out of last place than it is showing the White Sox trying to get into the playoffs this year. I realize the co host was the Cubs ass kisser David Kaplan, but you still would of thought that the White Sox were the most important story of the evening.

I would like to have an opportunity to have an extended conversation with Chicago TV producers, newspaper editors and radio program directors, and ask them why they consistently give the Cubs more coverage, more fawning/positive coverage, and more prominent placement.

I want to hear all of them say one of two things:

1. "Gosh, we never realized that, but upon reflection, you are right and we will try to be more balanced in the future;"

OR

2. "Ours is a business, and we know the Cubs have more fans and more affluent fans in the demographics we covet, so we give them more coverage to keep their fans paying attention to us."

What I don't want to hear, because it is a complete lie, is, "We are completely objective and balanced."

hawkjt
07-07-2012, 09:23 AM
In the last week or so, something has really clicked in for Matt Thornton,which is great news. He has looked much crisper,is mixing up pitches,throwing offspeed pitches for strikes and locating his fastball better. When he is like this, the Sox bullpen gets so much better. Now,if only Crain would come back strong, this bullpen should be fine.

This was a gritty win,led by Jake. He had good stuff,but had a couple of ducksnort,funky hits against him,but did not waver.

The Jays are second in the league in homers,so they are so dangerous in a small hot park like the Cell, anytime you hold them to one run...celebrate!

Clutch hitting by Dayan,Alexei,Gordo,Youk,PK and AJ....slowly making progress against the soft-tossing leftys? I am hoping the fact that they will see 4 leftys in a row might help them get a bit more confident as the weekend goes along. Romero has been walking the world lately,and is get-able,if we are patient...watch Youk!

I know they need the break for their bodies,but hate to stop this flow right now. Everything is in a groove....can Gavin get back in his after that Yanks struggle? Now, he did only give up 4 runs in 5.1 innings vs the Yanks so it is not like he totally blew up...but he needs to give the Sox 6+ today.

Go Sox!

Zakath
07-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Toronto started looking like we usually do when we play them. Hopefully it's a trend that will continue, because I'm getting tired of seeing us lose to them.

Youkilis is now 13-41 at the plate since joining the Sox and we're 8-3 since then. Coincidence or not, Rios's hitting streak started on the day that Youkilis joined the team.

guillensdisciple
07-07-2012, 09:53 AM

Anthony "god" Rizzo is playing. Come on now.

Frater Perdurabo
07-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Anthony "god" Rizzo is playing. Come on now.

That's part of the problem. The media always seems to be hyping a Cubs prospect - usually undeserved. Meanwhile, Chris Sale is putting up numbers that merit AL CY consideration but gets much less attention.

voodoochile
07-07-2012, 10:03 AM

Here's a trick. If you lose the feed, hit esc to exit full screen mode then click the link for "today's game" in the upper right corner of the "windowed box". The Sox game will actually be highlighted since you were watching it. Double click on that highlighted score box and the picture should reload.

Oh and hey...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

PalehosePlanet
07-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Toronto started looking like we usually do when we play them. Hopefully it's a trend that will continue, because I'm getting tired of seeing us lose to them.

Youkilis is now 13-41 at the plate since joining the Sox and we're 8-3 since then. Coincidence or not, Rios's hitting streak started on the day that Youkilis joined the team.

Over Ozzie's last 5 years with the Sox, between say...April 20th and May 20th, the Sox were always the worst team in the league. Then we'd wake up in late May and get hot for a while.

During those years we always seemed to play The Jays anywhere from 4-7 times during our patented Ozzie/Walker slump extraordinaire. I think this, more than anything else, is the reason for our lopsided numbers vs. The Jays and not any matchup problems.

DSpivack
07-07-2012, 12:01 PM
I would like to have an opportunity to have an extended conversation with Chicago TV producers, newspaper editors and radio program directors, and ask them why they consistently give the Cubs more coverage, more fawning/positive coverage, and more prominent placement.

1. "Gosh, we never realized that, but upon reflection, you are right and we will try to be more balanced in the future;"

OR

2. "Ours is a business, and we know the Cubs have more fans and more affluent fans in the demographics we covet, so we give them more coverage to keep their fans paying attention to us."

What I don't want to hear, because it is a complete lie, is, "We are completely objective and balanced."

The Cubs were on CSN last night, the Sox on CSN+. Maybe what you were watching was the Cubs postgame show?

Chez
07-07-2012, 12:26 PM
I appreciated this game.

JB98
07-07-2012, 12:31 PM
The Cubs were on CSN last night, the Sox on CSN+. Maybe what you were watching was the Cubs postgame show?

Nah. I watched the highlight show on CSN last night also. I can confirm they led with the Cubs.

TheOldRoman
07-07-2012, 02:33 PM

OR

What I don't want to hear, because it is a complete lie, is, "We are completely objective and balanced."They would say #2, even though there is no truth to Cubs fans being more affluent and the media knows it. The problem is, often times the coverage isn't equal. One team always has to be featured second or not get the back page, but both teams could get the same amount of coverage in terms of stories or articles, but they usually don't.

This is even more maddening because although "we cover them more because they have more fans," the media's Cubsession is huge part of reason the Cubs have the status they do now. Even aside from the Tribune talking points that Cubs fans routinely spout off (no fans, ghetto, bullet holes in seats, Cubs fans have more money, it was always a Cub town, remember the Ligues), the media has spent the last 28 years telling the fans that Wrigley is "how baseball should be" and the Sox game experience wasn't even close. So, they spend years giving the Cubs more attention, more positive attention, and then say "What do you want us to do? They are more popular" as an excuse for continually giving them more attention.

SI1020
07-07-2012, 02:38 PM
That's part of the problem. The media always seems to be hyping a Cubs prospect - usually undeserved. Meanwhile, Chris Sale is putting up numbers that merit AL CY consideration but gets much less attention. The Cubs have been hyping their prospects at least since I've been following baseball, which for me means Dick Drott and Moe Drabowsky. For a couple of generations they've had a totally complicit local media. It's to the point that I no longer pay attention so I honestly can't tell you if the great Anthony Rizzo is the real deal or just one more young Cubbie prospect that will eventually fail to match the hype.

LITTLE NELL
07-07-2012, 02:46 PM
The Cubs have been hyping their prospects at least since I've been following baseball, which for me means Dick Drott and Moe Drabowsky. For a couple of generations they've had a totally complicit local media. It's to the point that I no longer pay attention so I honestly can't tell you if the great Anthony Rizzo is the real deal or just one more young Cubbie prospect that will eventually fail to match the hype.

How could you omit the great Glen Hobbie?

Nellie_Fox
07-08-2012, 12:51 AM
Actually...

I was curious so I looked up his game log since '08 or so on Baseball Ref, and sorted by number of IP per game. There doesn't seem to be a significant change in Thornton's effectiveness or performance, whether he's going a single inning or if he's going four to six outs (especially when you take into consideration that you would expect him to give up more runs/hits the more outs he pitches).

You can look it up for yourself, but for example: so far, in this half season, Thornton has pitched over 1 IP on three occasions and has not given up a walk, a run or a hit. Obviously, that's a small sample size. So we could go back to last year, when his struggles were pretty well documented. Of the 16 times he pitched more than inning, he gave up 23 walks or hits, and nine runs. Not too bad for 26 innings of work.

Looks like it's just a case of perception and not necessarily hard fact.

Note: This doesn't include outings where he started a second inning and didn't retire a batter, though those are very few. There was one bad instance of that last year, but even including that it still isn't a horrible showing--it's arguably a pretty good showing. Relievers can't be perfect. They're by definition inconsistent and kind of mediocre...that's why they're relievers.You know, I hesitated to make that post because I figured I might be talking out of my butt. It was just a perception on my part, and I didn't confirm it. Thanks for straightening me out.

Then Matt closes out today's game to further slap me upside the head. I should just always remember that I know absolutely nothing about the game, and that I'm just some old guy in a recliner watching the games.