PDA

View Full Version : Watch It Again - Humbers' Perfect Game

#1swisher
07-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Daryl Van Schouwen

All-Star break television: Philip Humber's perfect game, Thurs, July 12, 7 pm, Comcast SportsNet.

TDog
07-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Is this the first time Comcast has replayed the game? I only ask because because the Giants' comcast station has rerun the Cain perfect game at least a half dozen times. They also run station promo spots reminding you that Cain threw a perfect game. One has all 27 outs sped up to a blur and ending with Duane Kuiper yelling about Cain throwing the first perfect game in Giants franchise history. They also run ads on the Giants' flagship radio station reminding you that Cain threw a perfect game. The Giants won the World Series two years ago and appear to have the best team in their division this year. It isn't like anyone expects this to be the only season highlight. On TV they are running commercials selling commemorative bats in honor of the perfect game.

I understand it's a huge deal. I watched the game live and agree that it was an awesome accomplishment. But I was wondering how much different it's been in Chicago. Granted, Humber isn't one of the stars of the White Sox rotation. But Buehrle was when he threw his perfect game, and I have to believe things settled down after he lost to the Twins in his next start.

DumpJerry
07-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Is this the first time Comcast has replayed the game? I only ask because because the Giants' comcast station has rerun the Cain perfect game at least a half dozen times. They also run station promo spots reminding you that Cain threw a perfect game. One has all 27 outs sped up to a blur and ending with Duane Kuiper yelling about Cain throwing the first perfect game in Giants franchise history. They also run ads on the Giants' flagship radio station reminding you that Cain threw a perfect game. The Giants won the World Series two years ago and appear to have the best team in their division this year. It isn't like anyone expects this to be the only season highlight. On TV they are running commercials selling commemorative bats in honor of the perfect game.

I understand it's a huge deal. I watched the game live and agree that it was an awesome accomplishment. But I was wondering how much different it's been in Chicago. Granted, Humber isn't one of the stars of the White Sox rotation. But Buehrle was when he threw his perfect game, and I have to believe things settled down after he lost to the Twins in his next start.
The game was broadcast on Fox, not Comcast. I'm sure it took some check-writing by Comcast to get the rights to show it.

Brian26
07-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Is this the first time Comcast has replayed the game? I only ask because because the Giants' comcast station has rerun the Cain perfect game at least a half dozen times.

Does that Comcast station also run A's games? Comcast here in Chicago almost runs more Cubs games now than Sox games, as the Sox seem to always have their Sunday afternoon games and all weekday getaway games on WGN. Point being, there's less time available on Comcast Chicago to replay games.

TDog
07-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Does that Comcast station also run A's games? Comcast here in Chicago almost runs more Cubs games now than Sox games, as the Sox seem to always have their Sunday afternoon games and all weekday getaway games on WGN. Point being, there's less time available on Comcast Chicago to replay games.

I understand what you're saying and didn't realize the Humber game was a FOX game. I was getting the Red Sox that afernoon. Comcast Bay Area certainly has more room on its schedule than Comcast Chicago.

Comcast has two sports stations in San Francisco covering both northern Central Valley markets. Both are available in SF, Sacramento, Modesto, and maybe farther north and south. One is dedicated to Giants and one is dedicated to A's. Both run lesser sports as well. I don't know who gets the Warrior or Kings or Sharks or whatever. When there are conflicts, Comcast has a spillover station that makes sure that if either the Giants or A's play and it isn't on FOX or a local broadcast station (I know the SF NBC affiliate does some Giants games), every Giants game will be available on cable. There was an A's-White Sox game that wasn't televised this year, the extra-inning afternoon game that Voodoo sat through and I couldn't make it to, but that had nothing to do with a conflict.

Still, I hear commercial selling products commemorating the Cain perfect game or referring to it on the radio every day. It far exceeds what went on after the Dallas Braden perfect game for the A's a couple of years ago. And I find it a little odd.

keloms
07-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Thursday at 7 on CSN

http://members.boardhost.com/CRM/msg/1341765429.html

Then on Thursday night, CSN presents a replay of the "MLB on FOX" call of White Sox pitcher Philip Humber's perfect game vs. the Mariners Seattle's Safeco Field from April 21st of this year. Interestingly enough, Dave Sims, who called that game with ex-Cub Eric Karros, is also the voice of the M's on ROOT Sports Northwest in addition to "Sunday Night Football" PBP on the Westwood One/Dial Global Radio Network with Hall-of-Famer James Lofton. Needless to say, Sims actually got excited in calling the final out in which Humber became part of an elite group of just 22 players in MLB history to throw a perfect game.

Both "Chicago Pitching Classics" start at 7p, Wednesday for the Cubs & Thursday for the White Sox. The Cubs start a lengthy homestand vs. the Diamondbacks Friday, while the Sox stay in K.C. to face the Royals next weekend.

all*star quentin
07-12-2012, 08:32 PM
I have a gut feeling that Phil will be perfect! :smile: