PDA

View Full Version : Sunday's Starter (8 July)?

delben91
07-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Any word on who will start on Sunday since it apparently isn't Sale?

I've read that it could be Axelrod on short rest or the just called up Duente Heath, but not seen anything definite.

34 Inch Stick
07-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Ventura said Axlerod with a 4 inning maximum

eriqjaffe
07-06-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm going, and I was very excited to see Sale. I'm considerably less excited to see Axelrod and a 4-inning maximum.

Noneck
07-06-2012, 03:05 PM
I really hate giving up games.

PeteWard
07-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Can't believe they are doing this. :mad: Is this KW or Ventura?

ja1022
07-06-2012, 03:21 PM

Yep. Especially when you're in a pennant race with a slim lead over the favorite.

Daver
07-06-2012, 03:23 PM

Can you use your power of prescience to give me next weeks lottery numbers?

delben91
07-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Can't believe they are doing this. :mad: Is this KW or Ventura?

I kind of get skipping Sale if it's part of a broader plan to limit his innings and keep him ready for a potential post-season run.

I don't get bringing back Axelrod on short rest if there's a guy that could pull a spot start instead. Guess with the AS Break, additional innings for the bullpen aren't a big deal, as they'll have 4 days to recover, but still...

Tragg
07-06-2012, 03:48 PM
I kind of get skipping Sale if it's part of a broader plan to limit his innings and keep him ready for a potential post-season run.

Agree.
But to skip so he can pitch in the all star game: Nix.

doublem23
07-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Agree.
But to skip so he can pitch in the all star game: Nix.

He's still skipping a start and throwing 1-2 innings in an exhibition game. It's not like guys don't throw on the side on off days anyways

Noneck
07-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Can you use your power of prescience to give me next weeks lottery numbers?

Comeon Daver. The Sox have possibly the best pitcher currently in baseball ready to go on his normal rest pattern and are saving him so he can pitch in a stupid all star game. Sale can get probably at least a 8 day rest after the break. Who do you think has a better chance of giving the Sox a win on sunday, Axlerod going 4 or Sale?

Daver
07-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Comeon Daver. The Sox have possibly the best pitcher currently in baseball ready to go on his normal rest pattern and are saving him so he can pitch in a stupid all star game. Sale can get probably at least a 8 day rest after the break. Who do you think has a better chance of giving the Sox a win on sunday, Axlerod going 4 or Sale?

I'd want to know if Robin told his best starter that he would get an opportunity to pitch in the All Star game.

asindc
07-06-2012, 04:47 PM

That's not what they are doing.

Noneck
07-06-2012, 04:50 PM
I'd want to know if Robin told his best starter that he would get an opportunity to pitch in the All Star game.

Axlerod going 4 it is, all the reasons behind it I dont know. Yes I am selfish but yes if I was Sale I would probably feel differently.

amsteel
07-06-2012, 04:52 PM
People would be more pissed if Sale can't pitch in September because he was run ragged in July.

Remember, he's already pitched more innings this year than in his entire career.

Noneck
07-06-2012, 04:52 PM

Please explain to me , I must be missing something here and making a ass of myself.

asindc
07-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Please explain to me , I must be missing something here and making a ass of myself.

They are using the AS break to skip a start. IF he appears in the AS game, it will be no more than 2 IP, which would be roughly equivalent to a between-starts side session. If he doesn't, that's cool, too (from the organization's perspective). This is all in keeping with their general approach to Sale (aside from the thankfully-very-brief-bizarre-bullpen-demotion), in which they have taken advantage of every opportunity to skip one of his starts. The last thing they want to do is tell Sale he cannot pitch in the AS game, but this move is about the rest of the season.

mzh
07-06-2012, 04:56 PM
They've been planning on giving Sale extra days of rest pretty much throughout the entire season, and the All Star Break is just another opportunity to do that. The fact that he is pitching in the All Star Game is irrelevant because he would have thrown a few innings of side work during the break regardless of whether he was an All-Star or not.

ZombieRob
07-06-2012, 05:18 PM
People would be more pissed if Sale can't pitch in September because he was run ragged in July.

Remember, he's already pitched more innings this year than in his entire career.
People would be more pissed if he can't because of the All Star game. Plus it's not a certain he'll actually get in the game. So what if they blow the start for his All Star game and he doesn't even get in? I'm with Noneck on this one.

delben91
07-06-2012, 05:23 PM
People would be more pissed if he can't because of the All Star game. Plus it's not a certain he'll actually get in the game. So what if they blow the start for his All Star game and he doesn't even get in? I'm with Noneck on this one.

But they aren't skipping the start BECAUSE of the All-Star game, it's coincidental that he's in the AS game because they'd skip this start regardless. It isn't causal.

Unless the Sox are just lying and this isn't about innings and is about the AS Game, but I'm not a big enough conspiracy theorist to claim that.

asindc
07-06-2012, 05:27 PM

Noneck
07-06-2012, 05:29 PM
They are using the AS break to skip a start. IF he appears in the AS game, it will be no more than 2 IP, which would be roughly equivalent to a between-starts side session. If he doesn't, that's cool, too (from the organization's perspective). This is all in keeping with their general approach to Sale (aside from the thankfully-very-brief-bizarre-bullpen-demotion), in which they have taken advantage of every opportunity to skip one of his starts. The last thing they want to do is tell Sale he cannot pitch in the AS game, but this move is about the rest of the season.

First thanks for the explanation. I dont know when Danks and Humber will return but if one of them returns after the all star break, wouldnt it make more sense for Sale to miss that start, rather than a start where a pitcher will only be allowed to go 4 innings?

asindc
07-06-2012, 05:32 PM
First thanks for the explanation. I dont know when Danks and Humber will return but if one of them returns after the all star break, wouldnt it make more sense for Sale to miss that start, rather than a start where a pitcher will only be allowed to go 4 innings?

I think the uncertainty of Danks and Humber is part of the thinking here. For Sunday's game, every pitcher will be available except Floyd and maybe Peavy, so scheduling (tentatively) Alexrod for four innings won't be that big of deal.

kobo
07-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Do you want the Sox to limit his innings and make sure he can pitch later in the season, or do you want them to have him make every scheduled start? IF he pitches in the ASG he'll throw 2 innings at most. As others have said, if he wasn't at the game he'd be throwing that much in a side session. Seems like a win-win to me.

Noneck
07-06-2012, 05:41 PM
I think the uncertainty of Danks and Humber is part of the thinking here. For Sunday's game, every pitcher will be available except Floyd and maybe Peavy, so scheduling (tentatively) Alexrod for four innings won't be that big of deal.

Ok it makes sense now, thank you again. And Daver was right, I have no power of prescience, looking at my twinspires account proves that.

Carneyman14
07-06-2012, 05:43 PM
I got the call the other day. I will be our Sunday starter.... :redneck

Zisk77
07-06-2012, 05:54 PM

Sox 3-0 in Axelrod's last three starts. Of course those were against the dregs of baseball...Brewers, Yankees, Rangers. :scratch:

asindc
07-06-2012, 06:25 PM
I got the call the other day. I will be our Sunday starter.... :redneck

How's your changeup?

Mingo
07-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Sox 3-0 in Axelrod's last three starts. Of course those were against the dregs of baseball...Brewers, Yankees, Rangers. :scratch:

This ^^^^

They got away with it three times - and Ventura lets the rest of the bench get some starts on these games - taking advantage of a group physchology to produce as a 2nd team.

I like it - every guy on the team has a clear role to play.

ZombieRob
07-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Do you want the Sox to limit his innings and make sure he can pitch later in the season, or do you want them to have him make every scheduled start? IF he pitches in the ASG he'll throw 2 innings at most. As others have said, if he wasn't at the game he'd be throwing that much in a side session. Seems like a win-win to me.
If that's the thinking why did he go 8 inning in a 19 run game?

mzh
07-06-2012, 07:23 PM
He was pitching well, and with two rookies starting the next 2 games saving the bullpen was the name of the game.

Say what you want, but he's not being skipped for the sole purpose of pitching in the ASG.

kobo
07-06-2012, 07:28 PM

I don't know I'm not Robin Ventura or Don Cooper.

#1swisher
07-06-2012, 07:34 PM
During the AS break, Sale planned to do some work on his new house in Florida.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120701&content_id=34263976&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws

delben91
07-07-2012, 11:55 AM
End of this article (http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/10914/sale-credits-conditioning-for-breakout-year) indicates that Sale will get another 2 week "break" later in the season to limit his innings.