PDA

View Full Version : Rookie pitchers

thomas35forever
07-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Where would we be without them this year? Today's game only maginified just how crucial the young guys on the mound have been to this team. While the veterans drop like flies, they get called up and make quite a difference. Quintana can't do much wrong right now, Reed has more than filled the role left by Santos and Nate Jones hasn't had many blemishes either. Too early to judge the newest bullpen arms, but they might do some work too. When was the last time the Sox (or any team, for that matter) were carried so far thanks to so many pitchers just getting their first tastes of the bigs? If we win the division, there's no way this factor can be overlooked.

soxfanreggie
07-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Where would we be without them this year? Today's game only maginified just how crucial the young guys on the mound have been to this team. While the veterans drop like flies, they get called up and make quite a difference. Quintana can't do much wrong right now, Reed has more than filled the role left by Santos and Nate Jones hasn't had many blemishes either. Too early to judge the newest bullpen arms, but they might do some work too. When was the last time the Sox (or any team, for that matter) were carried so far thanks to so many pitchers just getting their first tastes of the bigs? If we win the division, there's no way this factor can be overlooked.

It also gives a lot of hope for the future, as these guys can be with the team for a while. As we start paying more for guys under longer term contracts ($500k for Rios, $1M for Dunn, $1.5M for PK, likely $2.5M for Floyd, $2M for Alexei, and the big one...$13.75M more for Danks), we'll definitely need these guys to stick around and perform for us. AJ could help us out, as I don't think he'll get the $6M he got this year. I could see the Sox offering him a 2-year deal though, perhaps with a club option for a 3rd with a $1M buyout. My only hope is that Peavy will like it here a lot and not seek a ridiculous deal that some team will probably give him.

amsteel
07-06-2012, 10:11 AM
My only concern with the young guys is that thus far a lack of scouting has benefited them greatly and as the season progresses teams will figure out their intricacies as they face more batters and video of them gets around.

palehosepub
07-06-2012, 10:40 AM
My only concern with the young guys is that thus far a lack of scouting has benefited them greatly and as the season progresses teams will figure out their intricacies as they face more batters and video of them gets around.

I have the same fear, the second and third time around the league these pitchers will be better scouted and the hitters will catch up. I am certainly happy with the rookies we have brought up with strong arms- Jones and Reed in particular - but you cant wait until they fail or drop off to make a move. I think the Sox are now very selective when they use Santiago, for example. Realistically we need two more veteran arms in the bullpen - maybe Crain and Humber can fill those roles but the Sox have to be assertive and find a veteran reliever. They wont have the prospects to get a Huston Street or Jon Broxton but Kenny needs to beat the bushes for a late inning guy that may save a non contending team some salary while picking up some B level Sox prospects - Ill throw out the names Trayce Thompson or Charlie Leesman as EXAMPLES.