PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 'Jose, Can You Sweep?!' TEX vs SOX 7/5 Postgame Thread

soxinem1
07-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Well-played series, and now over .500 at home!! :bandance:

Think NYY is wondering how Quintana slipped through the cracks yet? :scratch:

Think BOS is tired of seeing Youkilis celebrating wins every night for the WHITE Sox? :scratch:

GET OUT THOSE BROOMS, BABY!!

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2012, 04:20 PM
What a refreshing conclusion

Thome_Fan
2012 White Sox: The Kids Can Pitch

aryzner
Oh hell yes!!

Frontman
Time to start feeling good about the White Sox chances, people. They swept the defending AL Champs, baby!!!

Woo hoo!!!

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2012, 04:21 PM
May need a mop instead of brooms

happydude
Excellent series. Have the Rangers been swept this year by anyone else?

sullythered
I officially bo-leave.

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2012, 04:22 PM

And catch!

October26
07-05-2012, 04:22 PM
SWEET SOX SWEEP! (and love the thread title, btw) :)

soxnut1018
07-05-2012, 04:23 PM
I love this team.

doublem23

Not in a three-game series

amsteel
After sweeping the two time defending AL champs with all around great SP, RP, offense, and defense, it'll be tough to think this team won't be in the playoffs.

DSpivack

Nope.

Here is the list of teams in baseball that have not been swept this season:

The Chicago White Sox.

Irishsox1
07-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Ho-Hum, just another 2 hitter in 103 degree heat.

FourStarsTwoBars
Farmer did a fantastic job calling the 9th.

GoGoCrede
May need a mop instead of brooms

LMAO love it and this team.

Crooked Number
This series:

A titanic blowout win - check

A walk off win - check

Terrific pitchers duel with another game winning hit from new aquisition - check

Tremendous performance by our Sox. DSNB!!!

Don't Stop Now Boys, let's steamroll the Jays, major payback to give here as well.

thomas35forever
07-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Quintana and Youkilis could be the difference in this race. Amazing.

UofCSoxFan
07-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Even when Danks and Humber are healthy, there is no way you drop Quintana from the rotation. He's legit.

doublem23
2 hours, 9 minutes... Anyone else getting the feeling that Quintana might be Spanish for Buehrle?

SOX ADDICT '73
First game I've been able to watch from start to finish all year! :bandance:
(and I spent the whole time voting to "TakeJake") :praying::crossfingers:

soltrain21
07-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Youk has looked fantastic so far.

voodoochile
07-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Wow the Quintana and Yoooooouk show roles on. Great job to get the sweep against a good opponent. Could have been a lot more runs but the Rangers played some good defense. Sox just keep rolling along.

Minnesota currently leads Detroit too.

:soxwin: :sweep

:)

:supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

harwar
This is fun ...

soxinem1
2 hours, 9 minutes... Anyone else getting the feeling that Quintana might be Spanish for Buehrle?

I've thought about that. Even when NYY tagged him the game pace was not all that bad because he got stronger and better as the game went on.

Who'd have thought a five-year minor league FA and a cast-off, odd-man out would supply some of the great season highlights thus far? And defensively, Youk has been very solid and looks confident as hell.

Think BOS beat writers who clamored for him to be traded are kind of thinking now that they woke him up big time? This has to be one of the best 'In-season trade, first home stand by the new player' debuts we have ever seen.

Noneck
07-05-2012, 04:31 PM
I officially bo-leave.

I love this team.

Agree X 3

johnnyg83
07-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Rangers scored 7 runs in three games against us. They average more than 5 a game. Nicely done, pitching.

ElevenUp
07-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Quintana with another gem. Just offense today to sweep the Rangers. I'm loving what I'm seeing from this team.

:bandance::sweep

TheOldRoman
07-05-2012, 04:32 PM
After sweeping the two time defending AL champs with all around great SP, RP, offense, and defense, it'll be tough to think this team won't be in the playoffs.Yeah, but if they would have played respectably against the A's, Astros, Blue Jays and Royals, they would be up by 8 games right now. That doesn't even account for the easily-winnable games against the Dodgers, Cardinals, Tigers and Red Sox that we have lost, mostly due to bad hitting. As good as the team looked this series, look back to this past weekend to see them score 0 and 2 runs. They have been inconsistent. They need to start beating bad teams - starting tomorrow.

SI1020
07-05-2012, 04:33 PM
2 hours, 9 minutes... Anyone else getting the feeling that Quintana might be Spanish for Buehrle? I have dared to entertain that thought. As I posted previously I really like watching him pitch. What a find this could turn out to be.

adidas773
07-05-2012, 04:34 PM
it feels good to be a sox fan.

Noneck
07-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Yeah, but if they would have played respectably against the A's, Astros, Blue Jays and Royals, they would be up by 8 games right now. That doesn't even account for the easily-winnable games against the Dodgers, Cardinals, Tigers and Red Sox that we have lost, mostly due to bad hitting. As good as the team looked this series, look back to this past weekend to see them score 0 and 2 runs. They need to start beating bad teams - starting tomorrow.

A team always has to beat the crap in order to make the playoffs but showing how they played against the best, it shows this team is real.

RCWHITESOX
07-05-2012, 04:36 PM
I have to say it again; for all those who said Youk was washed up and the Sox shouldn't persue him I'm sure your all very happy you were all wrong.

PalehosePlanet
07-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Well-played series, and now over .500 at home!! :bandance:

Think NYY is wondering how Quintana slipped through the cracks yet? :scratch:

Think BOS is tired of seeing Youkilis celebrating wins every night for the WHITE Sox? :scratch:

GET OUT THOSE BROOMS, BABY!!

He was 10-2 w/a 2.91 last year at high A ball for them so it makes no sense to me why they would let go of a 22 year old lefty that's pitching well.

Oh well, their loss.

I bet the Rangers fans are bitching about how their team can never beat a guy the first time they face him. A problem that all teams have, but some on this board think it's just us.

aryzner
Folks, I am giddy. I can't even sit still I'm so happy about this sweep. I haven't been this excited about a baseball season in quite some time. I hope it lasts!

IronFisk
nope.

The chicago white sox.

mercy!!!

Soxman219
I love this team, haven't felt this good since the Dodgers sweep series in 2005. Sweep the Jays (a team that gives the Sox problems), then count me as a believer.

TheOldRoman
07-05-2012, 04:38 PM
A team always has to beat the crap in order to make the playoffs but showing how they played against the best, it shows this team is real.They will be there the entire year, I agree. However, if they fail to win this division, they wouldn't be the first team which showed up for big games but missed the postseason because they couldn't beat the dregs of baseball.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Yeah, but if they would have played respectably against the A's, Astros, Blue Jays and Royals, they would be up by 8 games right now. That doesn't even account for the easily-winnable games against the Dodgers, Cardinals, Tigers and Red Sox that we have lost, mostly due to bad hitting. As good as the team looked this series, look back to this past weekend to see them score 0 and 2 runs. They have been inconsistent. They need to start beating bad teams - starting tomorrow.

1) This team is different than the team that played those games.

2) I wouldn't say that Toronto is a bad team.

awesomefan
07-05-2012, 04:40 PM
AWESOME Sweep of Texas. Don't they say "Don't Mess With Texas...Chicago White Sox just did & it was a Beautiful Thang.
I shall call him Jose "Can't Touch This" Quintana.
Johnny Danks "Spanks"
Matt "Can't Hit The Bat" Thornton
Addison "THE SPEED" Reed
I just call Gorden.....GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
The Cuban Missle...A.J.....P. K...The Tank...Youk....

GO SOX!!!! I LOVE THESE GUYS!!!!

palehosepub
I am swelling with Sox Pride.

Halfway through the season I never could have dreamed it would be this good. I am absolutely appreciating the game!

Noneck
They will be there the entire year, I agree. However, if they fail to win this division, they wouldn't be the first team which showed up for big games but missed the postseason because they couldn't beat the dregs of baseball.

No argument from me.

Foulke You
07-05-2012, 04:42 PM
He is looking like last year's Youk and that is a very good thing. I can't stress enough how big of a trade that was. Not only was the trade big, but the timing of the trade was even bigger with the Sox heading into a tough part of the schedule. KW didn't wait for the July 31st deadline to shore up a hole. He plugged it in June so he could get a full 3 months out of his acquisition and it is coming up aces. If Johnny Danks comes back strong, dare to dream big this October.

LoveYourSuit
07-05-2012, 04:42 PM
This Sale + Quintana combo could be deadly in the playoffs. Wow!.
How about Youk?
There was one poster here who fell off the ledge pissed about the trade. Trying to remember who it was. What a pick up by KW!

GoGoCrede
07-05-2012, 04:43 PM
How about Youk?
There was one poster here who fell off the ledge pissed about the trade. Trying to remember who it was. What a pick up by KW!

Eh. Does it really matter?

Soxman219
07-05-2012, 04:44 PM
I am swelling with Sox Pride.

Halfway through the season I never could have dreamed it would be this good. I am absolutely appreciating the game!

Same, really proud of this team right now.

Dan H
At the beginning of season, the White Sox were a bunch of questions. So far Rios, Peavy and Dunn have come through. Some questions still remain but they seem to be disappearing one by one. Winning these two tough, one-run games shows a lot. Now the questions remain for the other teams in the AL Central.

fisk4ever
Good to see different players step up at different times throughout the long season. For awhile it seemed like it was up to Paulie to carry the team, and now it seems much more like a team. Halfway home and we're 8 over .500.

GlassSox
07-05-2012, 04:45 PM

Si :D:

TheOldRoman
07-05-2012, 04:45 PM
1) This team is different than the team that played those games.

2) I wouldn't say that Toronto is a bad team.I see that the Blue Jays have gotten back over .500. They aren't a bad team, but they're not a particularly good one, either. We already lost 2 of 3 to them at home, so we need to take this series. The Sox need to beat teams like the Blue Jays if they're going to go anywhere.

DumpJerry
07-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Meanwhile, the "experts" at Sports Illustrated are very, very confused......

GoGoCrede
I'm squirreling away every penny I make right now, but damn if I don't want to start another savings account, just in case for the playoffs. :wink:

Noneck

Throw in a healthy Danks all set up to go vs. the yanks in ny to negate that short porch. Yea, Yea I know we are really jumping the gun now.

mahagga73
07-05-2012, 04:47 PM
I see that the Blue Jays have gotten back over .500. They aren't a bad team, but they're not a particularly good one, either. We already lost 2 of 3 to them at home, so we need to take this series. The Sox need to beat teams like the Blue Jays if they're going to go anywhere.
They are heavy on lefthanded pitching that's why they kill the Sox. It looks like they are going to throw 3 lefties again this series. The Sox have problems scoring even 1 or 2 runs on lefthanders .

LITTLE NELL
07-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Will be watching the Rays-Indians game down here in a couple of hours, will be pulling hard for the Rays to put us up by 3.

GlassSox
07-05-2012, 04:49 PM
What a great series. As others have posted, so much fun being a Sox fan.

RealFan
07-05-2012, 04:50 PM
We are playing team baseball. As Stone said at the end, the Sox thoroughly outplayed the Rangers in this series.

GREAT thread title by the way.

DSNB!

GlassSox
07-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Will be watching the Rays-Indians game down here in a couple of hours, will be pulling hard for the Rays to put us up by 3.

We will leave this in your hands, get the Sox another 1/2 game up. :cool:

LITTLE NELL
07-05-2012, 04:51 PM
What a great series. As others have posted, so much fun being a Sox fan.
The Sox are hotter than the weather!!

voodoochile
07-05-2012, 04:52 PM

Hi Ed!:tongue:

LITTLE NELL
07-05-2012, 04:52 PM
We will leave this in your hands, get the Sox another 1/2 game up. :cool:

I will do my best.

LoveYourSuit
07-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Throw in a healthy Danks all set up to go vs. the yanks in ny to negate that short porch. Yea, Yea I know we are really jumping the gun now.

That's the recipe in that park.

SoxSpeed22
07-05-2012, 04:55 PM
In this critical 10 game stretch, they ended up going 7-3 and just thoroughly beat the team with the best record. I don't know what the scouts saw, but another buy-low deal turns to gold.

ChiSoxGal85
07-05-2012, 04:56 PM
What a great game. Quintana holds the Rangers, who play in this kind of heat probably more often than the Sox, to 1 run. Good defense and just enough offense to win...thanks again to Youk.

Loved the REEEED chants in the 9th. That young man has been solid.

I love how this team is playing, and am glad I didn't write them off after last year.

The Chicago White Sox.

:thud:

mahagga73
07-05-2012, 04:56 PM
How about Youk?
why would anybody be pissed about upgrading the worst position slot in the league, 3rd base for the White Sox ? Youkilis is not so old he can't still be productive , it's not a Griffey or Manny Ramirez situation . The man had a subpar half season, mostly because he was glued to the bench. The Red Sox will regret if this wonderboy Middlebrooks turns out to be a flash in the plan. Youkilis exudes winning baseball .

GoGoCrede
07-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Nope.

The Chicago White Sox.

Muhahaha. I need to go to more games.

asindc
07-05-2012, 04:59 PM
The Sox have now not lost a series since the Cubs series. MIL, MIN, NYY, and now TEX. I was among those that was wrong about Youk, but given what we were working with and what we gave up, I didn't mind the deal. I'm just glad that the 'change of scenery' motivation is working for him!

Rookie pitchers can pitch. Love JQ's approach. I picked him up last week for my fantasy team and he has not let that faze him.:smile: Take at least two of three from TOR, and I think we set ourselves of nicely for the second half.

TheVulture
07-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Even when Danks and Humber are healthy, there is no way you drop Quintana from the rotation. He's legit.

That creep can roll, man.

hawkjt
07-05-2012, 05:00 PM
They are heavy on lefthanded pitching that's why they kill the Sox. It looks like they are going to throw 3 lefties again this series. The Sox have problems scoring even 1 or 2 runs on lefthanders .

And then you add in Morrow,who had a 2 hit shutout vs the Sox,and you have a tough arse pitching staff vs the Sox. Of course a couple of days after shutting down the Sox,Morrow got hurt and has been on the DL since,so thankfully the Sox do not get him again this weekend. This crap about not beating dregs like the Jays is ridiculous when they have a guy like Morrow out there throwing well located 97mph after 8 innings.

I prefer to think that the Sox need to beat pitchers who are not stellar,no matter what record their team has. Beating Greinke is not easy because the Brewers have a bad record,just like beating Oswalt was not tough because the Rangers have the best team in baseball.

So, vs the Jays, I like to think we can take two of three,with the matchups,but have to hope that Romero continues his confusion.

Now,as for the game....wow! Jose Quintana has been spectacular,again.
He now has 57 innings with almost half of his earned runs in that Yankee game...which we still won. Otherwise his ERA in his other 7 starts is about 1.00.....unbelievable.
The clear key for Jose is keeping men off base because when he is out of the funky hitch regular delivery,he gets in total rythmn and pounds the strike zone. Out of the stretch,like he constantly was vs the Yanks,he does not have the deceptive little hitch,and he has nowhere near the same rythmn.

Another day, another hero turn for Youk. Worked that walk,scored a run.
Went oppo on Harrison,and took him out to the part of the field the wind was helping. Just smart hitting....love this guy. 10 games,10 RBIs, 7-3 record....all good.

Texas came in red-hot at 16-4 in their last 20....now they are 16-7 in their last 23...well done,Sox!!

DSpivack
07-05-2012, 05:02 PM
why would anybody be pissed about upgrading the worst position slot in the league, 3rd base for the White Sox ? Youkilis is not so old he can't still be productive , it's not a Griffey or Manny Ramirez situation . The man had a subpar half season, mostly because he was glued to the bench. The Red Sox will regret if this wonderboy Middlebrooks turns out to be a flash in the plan. Youkilis exudes winning baseball .

D'oh!

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8124749/boston-red-sox-middlebrooks-headed-disabled-list

:rolling:

TheVulture
07-05-2012, 05:06 PM
D'oh!

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8124749/boston-red-sox-middlebrooks-headed-disabled-list

Eh, maybe the Lillibeast will re-emerge.

asindc
07-05-2012, 05:07 PM
D'oh!

Nick Punto is Option A to replace Middlebrooks in the lineup.:o: Option B is Lillibridge.

Noneck
07-05-2012, 05:07 PM
D'oh!

That just breaks my heart.

hawkjt
07-05-2012, 05:08 PM
D'oh!

Irony runs deep...ohhh the inhumanity.

Never trust the young Atlas bodies....go with baseball bodies like Youks!:D:

TDog
07-05-2012, 05:08 PM

Right now they have eight rookie pitchers on the staff, but Danks and Humber being disabled has something to do with that. The two rookie spots in the rotation have led to wins in their last two starts. Sale is in his first year as a starter, and he is on the short list to start the All-Star Game.

It helps when you can play defense, of course, which was one of the difference makers Wednesday night. They have been hitting well, although they have been shutout only two fewer times than they were all of last year.

Many seem to believe that the White Sox are in first because they Tigers haven't put it together yet. And maybe the rookie pitching of the White Sox will wear down in August and September. But this White Sox team has a "stuff staff." The Rangers missed Sale in April, of course, because Sale had to wait until the fourth game of the season to start. Now he is considered one of the nastiest pitchers in the league.

No doubt Rangers fans are lamenting that they lost two games started by two no-name rookie pitchers after getting clobbered in a start by their reclamation project, but the White Sox played three days of great baseball, today putting together enough to be an All-Star.

The addition of Youkilis certainly made a difference in this series, although today the White Sox were hitless with runners in scoring position. When you total it all up, with wins of 17 runs, 1 run and 1 run, this was the first series in which the Rangers were swept in more than a year.

Well played.

rdivaldi
07-05-2012, 05:09 PM
why would anybody be pissed about upgrading the worst position slot in the league, 3rd base for the White Sox ? Youkilis is not so old he can't still be productive , it's not a Griffey or Manny Ramirez situation .

Because a lot of fans cannot separate individual baseball occurrences. Since Griffey and Ramirez didn't work out, it was conclusive evidence that Youkilis could not succeed. Baseball is too fickle a sport for many people, they can't handle the highs and lows.

MarySwiss
07-05-2012, 05:11 PM
In the game thread, I suggested that Sox fans might want to send a thank-you card to Bobby Valentine for Youk. I still think that's a good idea, but we might also send one to the Yankees for Jose Quintana.

And--oh, I don't know--maybe a wake-up call (card) to the ESPN knuckleheads. (HELLO! Lookit what's up!)

And I really regret that I didn't get a preseason bet down on these guys. :D:

Keep it up, boyz!!!

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Lots of second half games against division foes gives the Sox an opportunity to control their destiny.

The Sox are fundamentally sound and play excellent defense, make few errors, cover a lot of ground and don't make their pitchers work too hard. They also get solid hitting from the "power positions," have a bona fide lead off hitter, have several hitters who can work pitchers, and have won games with power, speed and smart, aggressive base running.

Their pitchers all have different styles, but most can both get a strikeout when necessary, but usually let the defense make plays.

The coaches all seem relaxed and professional. Robin reminds me of Torborg; unlike his predecessor, Robin is not afraid to coach the players to practice and perfect baseball skills, at the same time he's not a stickler for ultimately unimportant minutiae (like Buck Showalter).

Overall this team reminds me of the 1990 club, with better power but a lesser bullpen. The difference is that so far, neither the Indians nor the Tigers look like the 1990 Athletics.

voodoochile
07-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Nope.

The Chicago White Sox.

That is so cool I stole it for my FB status.

mahagga73
07-05-2012, 05:15 PM
In the game thread, I suggested that Sox fans might want to send a thank-you card to Bobby Valentine for Youk. I still think that's a good idea, but we might also send one to the Yankees for Jose Quintana.

And--oh, I don't know--maybe a wake-up call (card) to the ESPN knuckleheads. (HELLO! Lookit what's up!)

Keep it up, boyz!!!
I think the map at ESPN probably ends at Philadelphia . It's the same one they had in 1776.

DSpivack
07-05-2012, 05:19 PM

Keep it up, boyz!!!

I understand why the Red Sox parted ways with Youkilis.

I can't say the same for the Yankees and Quintana.

chisoxfanatic
07-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Nope.

The Chicago White Sox.

WSI poster to appreciate that the most: DumpJerry. No chance for a hunger strike.

This is FUN! Now let's sweep the Jays (I'm at Midway soon departing for a wedding and will be surrounded by Jays fans).

Bucky F. Dent
07-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Loving this season.......and headed to the Cell this Sunday to take my six-year-old to his first Sox game! :)

Chez
07-05-2012, 05:29 PM
When this homestand started, I posted that 4 wins would be a reasonable goal. I'm revising. Let's take 2 out of 3 against the Jays, rest up over the break and come out smoking on the road.

Quintana is ridiculous. If Humber can be a .500 pitcher until Danks returns; and if Johnny can then pitch to his ability, I like our chances (barring injuries). The only thing that makes me nervous are All the Young Dudes in the bullpen. A healthy Crain would help immensely, but if Robin and/or Coop has lost faith in Santiago (and it appears they have), then we need another reliable veteran arm in the bullpen for the stretch drive.

shingo10
07-05-2012, 05:31 PM
I've thought about that. Even when NYY tagged him the game pace was not all that bad because he got stronger and better as the game went on.

Who'd have thought a five-year minor league FA and a cast-off, odd-man out would supply some of the great season highlights thus far? And defensively, Youk has been very solid and looks confident as hell.

Think BOS beat writers who clamored for him to be traded are kind of thinking now that they woke him up big time? This has to be one of the best 'In-season trade, first home stand by the new player' debuts we have ever seen.

That sounds exactly like a Hawk category. Yes!

Great win, great series. Loved hearing Robin on the postgame keep saying "We have a game tomorrow and then the next day..." So true. Gotta keep playing good baseball no matter who you're playing or where.

TomBradley72
07-05-2012, 05:32 PM
D'oh!

To Quote Chris Berman in the 2005 ALDS-

"Oh noooooooooooooooooooooo"

mahagga73
07-05-2012, 05:37 PM

Keep it up, boyz!!!
Bobby V is going to be back on ESPN sooner than expected I think.

Foulke You
07-05-2012, 05:52 PM
The split stats definitely back up that statement. The Sox vs. lefties this year: .236 avg and I *think* we are something like 7W-15L in games where a LHP started the game.

soxinem1
07-05-2012, 05:56 PM

In all honesty, this type of transaction is common. Youk was not hitting, has an expensive option for 2013, and hey, a hungry rookie wanted to stay in the show.

If anything, they should be on Adrian Gonzalez for his over-paid to-date season. For a guy scheduled to make $21 million the next SEVEN years, he sure looks like he slowed down.........

Also bear in mind that it has not even been a couple weeks since Youkilis became one of the good guys, and we have 80 more games to play. Sure, we all love what we see, especially since he has produced so much so quickly, but let's be cautiously optimistic going forward. We're talking about a guy who has not played a full schedule in three seasons.

We need Dr. Pain and his staff to keep him together!!

slavko
07-05-2012, 06:04 PM
The Sox have now not lost a series since the Cubs series. MIL, MIN, NYY, and now TEX. I was among those that was wrong about Youk, but given what we were working with and what we gave up, I didn't mind the deal. I'm just glad that the 'change of scenery' motivation is working for him!

Rookie pitchers can pitch. Love JQ's approach. I picked him up last week for my fantasy team and he has not let that faze him.:smile: Take at least two of three from TOR, and I think we set ourselves of nicely for the second half.

Youk, rookie pitchers I'm right there with you. These guys can hit, catch, throw, and everyone in the lineup can hurt you with the bat.

And best of all, thanks for spelling "faze" right. "Phase" means something entirely different.

CoopaLoop
07-05-2012, 06:17 PM

Haha, I said something similar as I was leaving the park today. Works quickly without walks, that'll work.

CoopaLoop
07-05-2012, 06:18 PM
In all honesty, this type of transaction is common. Youk was not hitting, has an expensive option for 2013, and hey, a hungry rookie wanted to stay in the show.

If anything, they should be on Adrian Gonzalez for his over-paid to-date season. For a guy scheduled to make $21 million the next SEVEN years, he sure looks like he slowed down.........

Also bear in mind that it has not even been a couple weeks since Youkilis became one of the good guys, and we have 80 more games to play. Sure, we all love what we see, especially since he has produced so much so quickly, but let's be cautiously optimistic going forward. We're talking about a guy who has not played a full schedule in three seasons.

Bobby V lost Youk, long before the hungry rookie made his way up. Those two didnt work and it was a change of scenery type move. Glad it happened.

JB98
07-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Lots of second half games against division foes gives the Sox an opportunity to control their destiny.

The Sox are fundamentally sound and play excellent defense, make few errors, cover a lot of ground and don't make their pitchers work too hard. They also get solid hitting from the "power positions," have a bona fide lead off hitter, have several hitters who can work pitchers, and have won games with power, speed and smart, aggressive base running.

Their pitchers all have different styles, but most can both get a strikeout when necessary, but usually let the defense make plays.

The coaches all seem relaxed and professional. Robin reminds me of Torborg; unlike his predecessor, Robin is not afraid to coach the players to practice and perfect baseball skills, at the same time he's not a stickler for ultimately unimportant minutiae (like Buck Showalter).

Overall this team reminds me of the 1990 club, with better power but a lesser bullpen. The difference is that so far, neither the Indians nor the Tigers look like the 1990 Athletics.

The Sox don't beat themselves very often. The last three seasons have been characterized by criminally stupid play and criminally stupid managing.

The era of criminal stupidity appears to be over with this 2012 club. This is a team that gets the most out of its ability, and these guys even get hits with RISP at a higher rate than most teams around the league.

Noneck
07-05-2012, 06:39 PM

If Youkilis plays the rest of year, he will play in about the same amount of games as he did last. That is fine by me.

soxinem1
07-05-2012, 06:52 PM
The era of criminal stupidity appears to be over with this 2012 club. This is a team that gets the most out of its ability, and these guys even get hits with RISP at a higher rate than most teams around the league.

Kind of like their manager did when he played..... :smile:

SCCWS
07-05-2012, 07:16 PM

That is pre-Youk. He hits Toronto pretty well.

SCCWS
07-05-2012, 07:21 PM

Red Sox will probably make the playoffs with 2 wildcards. They were only 2 out the last time I saw ESPN run the list.

kevingrt
07-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Would it be a terrible decision to purcahse a Quintana tshirt jersey? I got a Santos one last year and poof!

guillensdisciple
07-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Would it be a terrible decision to purcahse a Quintana tshirt jersey? I got a Santos one last year and poof!

Horrible idea- please don't press purchase.

mahagga73
07-05-2012, 08:25 PM

you have a point. As a White Sox fan I should have learned to temper my enthusiasm by now. I looked up his stats and he has not stayed healthy for 3 years running. Gonzalez was great last year ,must be having a bad year, he isn't that old to be slowing down yet is he?

GoGoCrede
07-05-2012, 08:28 PM

Buy it, who cares? If he sticks around, good. If he turns out to be the best Sox player this side of Buehrle, even better. If he's lousy, use it as a nightshirt. Win win win.

mahagga73
07-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Red Sox will probably make the playoffs with 2 wildcards. They were only 2 out the last time I saw ESPN run the list.
Red Sux nation expects Yankee results now ,now that they and the Yankees are one and the same. Look at last year,they won 90 plus games , had a horrible ending for once ,and they panicked to the point the GM left, and they ran off their 2 time WS champion manager . He probably better at least contend this year. As of now, they are a fringe contender.

DickAllen72
07-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Youkilis is a winner - always has been. He looks healthy now. Great acquisition by KW.

BainesHOF
07-05-2012, 08:54 PM
This team isn't just winning. It's playing the game the right way, and for that reason they are a joy to watch. It definitely has the potential to win the whole damn thing.

SI1020
07-05-2012, 08:55 PM
I think the map at ESPN probably ends at Philadelphia . It's the same one they had in 1776. I like that.

Wedema
07-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Loving this season.......and headed to the Cell this Sunday to take my six-year-old to his first Sox game! :)

Try to get there early as it is Kids Day and some players will be signing autographs for the kids from 11:30 to noon. It will make his first game even more enjoyable if he gets to meet some players before the game.

Zakath
07-05-2012, 09:12 PM
I was figuring we needed to go at least 5-5 through this 10-game stretch before the Break (Yankees, Rangers, Jays) to keep us in good shape for the second half. Well, we already have the 5, but we desperately need to have a decent performance against Toronto, if only for the team to prove that they can beat them.

Not to mention that we have a 4-game series in Toronto right after the big homestand at the beginning of August. Out of those 7 games, this team cannot afford to lose 5 or 6 of them (which would be about what our past performance against the Jays would indicate would happen).

Tragg
07-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Quintana has a LOT of MB in him. he has those same nasty slow breaking balls that end up at the ankles. No way this guy leaves the rotation.

TDog
07-06-2012, 12:07 AM
... and these guys even get hits with RISP at a higher rate than most teams around the league.

The last I looked, the White Sox were first in the league with runners in scoring position, although they won without getting any RISP hits today -- Ramirez looked like he might have been robbed of a hit, though. But it isn't just that there are getting hits with runners in scoring position, they seem to be getting more RBIs with runners in scoring position. Most of the runners are more aggressive in trying to score. The play at the plate with Pierzynski scoring Wednesday night probably turned the game around.

Tragg
07-06-2012, 12:12 AM
This is a team that gets the most out of its ability, and these guys even get hits with RISP at a higher rate than most teams around the league.

I see that as one of the few things that doesn't portend well for the second half. I'm not a big believer in "clutch" (major league players are clutch by definition to me), so I expect that to regress to the mean - the mean being how we hit in all situations relative to the other teams.

StillMissOzzie
07-06-2012, 12:44 AM
In the last week or so, the Sox have played the AL East-leading so-called best team in baseball, the Yanks, to a 2-2 draw, and swept the defending AL Champs and AL West leading Rangers. Things are definitely looking up. Now, if they could just play a little more consistently against the dregs of the league this year, I would definitely like our chances for some post-season baseball this year.

Oh, and SI? Bite me!

SMO
:gulp:

FielderJones
07-06-2012, 12:47 AM
I see that as one of the few things that doesn't portend well for the second half. I'm not a big believer in "clutch" (major league players are clutch by definition to me), so I expect that to regress to the mean - the mean being how we hit in all situations relative to the other teams.

Belief or disbelief has no bearing on reality.

voodoochile
07-06-2012, 03:07 AM

Not true at all.

Belief - AKA perception IS reality.

BigKlu59
07-06-2012, 05:25 AM
Not true at all.

Belief - AKA perception IS reality.

Perception based on that persons reality... Their perception may be his cousin, delusion, based on your perception..., Dr. Freud

BK59

Frater Perdurabo
07-06-2012, 08:04 AM

I'd want to see the BABIP with RISP before guessing if it will continue or regress.

A higher than average BA with RISP could also be a function of an improved approach. If our hitters are shortening their swings and/or trying to make contact to go opposite field with RISP (but not doing this when the bases are empty or there's just a runner at first), then a higher BA with RISP is more indicative of design than luck.

Tragg
07-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Beliefs are usually based on reality. I believe the sun shines and that the Sox have a good team. The reason that I believe as I do re clutch is because I've seen scant scientific evidence that supports the theory of "clutch" on a long term basis.
Frater made a good point about approaches - that could be it. But I would suggest that at least some of our hitters should adopt that approach on their non-RISP at bats as well (not all hitters, as it negates power to some extent).

everafan
07-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Consider this - when Danks returns to the rotation, if he pitches to his standard, he will be the 4th best starting pitcher on this team. It's not time to temper your expectations - it's time to acelerate them! Throw caution to the wind Sox fans - this is the team we have been waiting for!!

TomBradley72
07-06-2012, 11:49 AM

Very good point- that's one of things that impacted the Sox in 2006- very strong RISP in the 1st half- regressed to "normal" in the 2nd half.

UofCSoxFan
07-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Very good point- that's one of things that impacted the Sox in 2006- very strong RISP in the 1st half- regressed to "normal" in the 2nd half.

The team definitely faded that year, with losing months in July and September. Still, the team still won 90 games that year, good for 5th best in the AL. It would have been nice to have had the current playoff format back then.

voodoochile
07-06-2012, 03:14 PM
The team definitely faded that year, with losing months in July and September. Still, the team still won 90 games that year, good for 5th best in the AL. It would have been nice to have had the current playoff format back then.

Buehrle and Contreras hit the wall hard the second half of that season. Both posted ERA's north of 6.

cards press box
07-06-2012, 03:47 PM
What a great game! Quintana pitched a gem and Youkilis hit the game winning homer. These guys have given the Sox a tremendous boost this year!

Just about every Sox fan was down in the dumps after the disappointing 2010 and 2011 seasons. This year has been a real shot in the arm for Sox fans everywhere!

And for the third time in a three game series against the two-time defending AL champion Rangers,

:winner

NOLA Sox Fan
07-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Just about every Sox fan was down in the dumps after the disappointing 2010 and 2011 seasons.

Not to mention Kenny Williams' constant reminder over the off-season that this was going to be a rebuilding year. I had fully prepared myself for an absolutely terrible year. This season so far has certainly been a surprise. I love the gritty nature and fundamentals this team plays with....and I love having a manager that is not constantly in the national headlines for all the wrong reasons.

Luckily for me, I'll be up there in a couple weeks! Anyone see my post in the ticket exchange? If you have any good tickets available for the 7/23 or 7/25 games, please hit me up.

SCCWS
07-07-2012, 06:13 PM
That is pre-Youk. He hits Toronto pretty well.

:bandance:

mahagga73
07-16-2012, 04:32 PM
ladies and gentlemen,Bill James is a WSI poster now,lol. Just kidding, I know what you are saying, pretty much that the Sox might be due for a letdown there. I love Bill James stuff by the way.