PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 7-4 That's a Walkoff Winner! SOX 5 TEX 4 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
07-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Happy Independence Day!

GoGoCrede
07-04-2012, 10:36 PM
An amazing capper to a great day. And strangely I have gone from loathing Youkilis' batting stance to somehow loving it. I wonder why that is. :wink:

:dtroll::bandance:

Thome25
07-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Youk!!

If he keeps this up, I'd love to have him back next year too!:bandance::gulp::)

GlassSox
An amazing capper to a great day. And strangely I have gone from loathing Youkilis' batting stance to somehow loving it. I wonder why that is. :wink:

:dtroll::bandance:

Me too. What a great come from behind win.

soltrain21
Awesome.

CoopaLoop
Every day I wake up and thank Bobby Valentine for running Youk out of Bean Town.

SoxandtheCityTee
07-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Wow. Those two last at-bats were impressive. Yooooook! with the walk-off AND the two defensive plays he made in the fifth. Spectacular.:bandance:

gf2020
07-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Great long ABs by De Aza and Youk to wear down Adams, who also had to keep throwing over to first. Really think that's why Youk got a good pitch to drive.

White_Sock
07-04-2012, 10:39 PM
YOUK!!! Great defensive game topped off by a walk-off.

yazz32
07-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Youk had a great at bat. Grinding all the way! White Sox Winner! :bandance:

ohiosoxfan
That entire game was emblematic of a division winning club. . . defense, good bullpen, nice AB's

aryzner
That was a hell of an AB by Youkilis. I got up out of my chair for that one and I yelled. That was exciting!!

PalehosePlanet
07-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Great win! The bullpen deserves most of the credit for this one with 4.1 shutout innings of work. Axelrod was shaky as hell, but at least he gave us 5.2 innings.

Solid defense tonight by everyone, especially Youk.

Frater Perdurabo
07-04-2012, 10:42 PM
After a rough first inning, Axelrod really settled down and shut down the most dangerous lineup in the majors (other than the Hamilton tater), in his first start after holding down the second-most dangerous lineup in the majors. He may not be top-of-the-rotation material, but he's filling in admirably for Humber.

Over By There
07-04-2012, 10:44 PM
Really enjoying this team right now. :gulp:

DoItForDanPasqua
07-04-2012, 10:44 PM
This clinches that the Sox will come out ahead in the tough seven games against the Yanks and Rangers.

Noneck
07-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Great to beat the best on the national stage.

CoopaLoop
07-04-2012, 10:46 PM
4 1/3 scoreless innings from the pen tonight.

7 pitches from Addison Reed.

:gulp:

Railsplitter
07-04-2012, 10:48 PM
Yee HAAH!

Frater Perdurabo
07-04-2012, 10:49 PM
This pitching staff has gotten better as it has gotten younger. Robin and Coop will have some interesting decisions to make when Humber and then Danks are ready to return.

Frater Perdurabo
07-04-2012, 10:52 PM
I have no idea if DeAza, Rios and Viciedo expertly position themselves in the outfield, but together they cover a lot of ground.

Brian26
07-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Wow. Those two last at-bats were impressive. Yooooook! with the walk-off AND the two defensive plays he made in the fifth. Spectacular.:bandance:

Defense by the entire team tonight is the best I've seen in years. Beckham's arm at second, Youkilis at 3B, AJ throwing guys out trying to steal. What a team.

pczarapa
07-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Last two at bats by De Aza and Youkilis were absolutely fabulous!!!!

:dtroll:

Frater Perdurabo
07-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Also, it's worth repeating that our infield defense is among the best in the majors. It was great seeing all four infielders make great plays tonight.

voodoochile
07-04-2012, 10:59 PM

It's a fun time to be a Sox fan...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :supernana:

gf2020
07-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Also nice to comeback from that early three run deficit like it was nothing, like when the Yankees got up four on us last week. That's the sign of a mentally strong team that comes to play.

soxfan1965
07-04-2012, 11:00 PM
Youk is a money player, awesome win!

Brian26
07-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Also thank you to Robin for not putting down the mandatory Ozzie-sacrifice-bunt sign for Youkilis at the plate with De Aza at first. Instead, De Aza gets the green light to steal and Youk swings away for the win. What a difference a year makes.

all*star quentin
07-04-2012, 11:01 PM
This TEAM is firing on all cylinders! What a pleasure to watch this season.

:soxwin:

cub killer
07-04-2012, 11:03 PM
We hold these truths to be self evident: that the Sox are holdin on to 1st place tooth n nail!

SoxFan49
07-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Also, it's worth repeating that our infield defense is among the best in the majors. It was great seeing all four infielders make great plays tonight.

I think you can say our defense as a whole is among the best in the majors, you have the infield which is undeniably a great set of players.

the outfield has 2 guns with Viciedo and Rios, and all 3 outfielders are some of the best in fielding.

And then you have AJ and Tyler throwing everybody out from behind the plate.

Moses_Scurry
07-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Also thank you to Robin for not putting down the mandatory Ozzie-sacrifice-bunt sign for Youkilis at the plate with De Aza at first. Instead, De Aza gets the green light to steal and Youk swings away for the win. What a difference a year makes.

Biggest difference I've noticed (other than personality). Ozzie bunted at every single opportunity. Ventura rarely bunts. I like that.

mmmmmbeeer
07-04-2012, 11:05 PM

A-freaking-men. I can remember Ozzie sacrificing to get Juan Pierre to second...never made a bit of sense to me to sacrifice when you have your best base stealer at first. Robin played it perfectly.

Love seeing these offensive contributions from 3b...makes this lineup a lot tougher.

BigKlu59
07-04-2012, 11:12 PM
Youk is a money player, awesome win!

Affirmative... Acts like he likes his new digs.. Also great that the scmucks at ESPN are playing alot of face time from the South Side. Even got AJ's chop block at home plate cameo..

Nice win...nice defensive plays.. Nice gutsy job by Axelrod.. Hey, these guys just might be good.. Held up well against the Rangers and Yanks..

BK59

gf2020
07-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Eh. Robin had Beckham bunt earlier in the game in a less than ideal situation. So it's not like questionable bunt calls aren't still happening.

DrCrawdad
07-04-2012, 11:20 PM

Me too! I was at the Thrs win against the Yankees. SWEET!

There was so much to enjoy in today's win. Axelrod's moxie. Defense. Timely hitting. But the meatball fan in me loved AJ bowling over Napoli.

Sox win was the sweetest though.

Soxman219
07-04-2012, 11:24 PM
It's official, I don't hate Youk anymore.:bandance:

SCCWS
07-04-2012, 11:25 PM
Eh. Robin had Beckham bunt earlier in the game in a less than ideal situation. So it's not like questionable bunt calls aren't still happening.

Agreed and it was a lousy bunt by Beckham. Luckily the pitcher slipped or he had Alexi at 2nd.
But DeAza showed guts in the 10th. He was really in pain and I thought Robin would go to Danks even when he walked. But he toughed it out, got into scoring position and Youk plated him. Also DeAza had a great catch coming in as well. Terrific showing......................and the crowd got to YOUKKKKKKKKKKKKKK heading home.

Zakath
07-04-2012, 11:27 PM
This clinches that the Sox will come out ahead in the tough seven games against the Yanks and Rangers.

The tough stretch includes the series with the Jays, who have frankly owned us. There can't be a letdown against them heading into the Break.

ChiTownTrojan
07-04-2012, 11:30 PM

Youk has never had a sacrifice bunt in his career.

Foulke You
07-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Great win! The bullpen deserves most of the credit for this one with 4.1 shutout innings of work. Axelrod was shaky as hell, but at least he gave us 5.2 innings.

Solid defense tonight by everyone, especially Youk.

Bullpen was fantastic against a great lineup. Thornton was particularly effective for two innings. The big difference is that he has been mixing his offspeed pitches a lot more. It keeps the hitters from sitting on his fastball.

central44
07-04-2012, 11:40 PM
The tough stretch includes the series with the Jays, who have frankly owned us. There can't be a letdown against them heading into the Break.

The Jays scare me more than any team in the MLB, just because the Sox never seem to play them well. Hopefully they can break that mindset

TDog
07-04-2012, 11:49 PM
Biggest difference I've noticed (other than personality). Ozzie bunted at every single opportunity. Ventura rarely bunts. I like that.

It's always popular to look at the Sox this year and say, "Ozzie would have screwed it up." The fact is, the White Sox sacrificed with Beckham in the seventh after Ramirez slingled to lead off the inning. They have have 21 successful sacrifice bunts this year, a couple more bunt singles on sacrifice plays and a few failed sacrifice attempts, more if you include hitters who bunt foul trying to sacrifice. Ventura actually bunts a lot.

To put that into perspective, coming into tonight's game, the Angels led the American League with 26 sacrifice bunts, and two teams were tied for second with 21, the Red Sox and Tigers.

Last year the White Sox were second in the AL with 52 sacrifice bunts in about twice as many games, but 20 of those were credited to Pierre, who in many cases was credited with sacrifices while bunting for hits. The rest of the White Sox position players had only 30 sacrifices all year. I don't see much of a difference in the frequency in which Ventural bunts. In fact, I have read complaints here that he bunts too often, just like Guillen.

Not bunting in the 10th tonight, after bunting in the seventh, had a lot to do with Youkilis being at the plate, Youkilis not only being one of the two hottest hitters on the team, but being a nine-year major league veteran without a successful sacrifice bunt, although he has three failed sacrifice attempts and I believe he had a sacrice in AAA.

Tonight was Youkilis's night, though. His defense was great. Texas didn't give him a chance to win the damn game offensively in the seventh, but he won the damn game in the 10th. Washington probably would have walked him if he wasn't down 0-2 when De Aza got to second. Washington probably wishes that he would have walked Youkilis anyway. If the Rangers had put the shift on against Dunn, I would have hoped Dunn would have bunted to put the winning run at third, but I am guessing there wouldn't have been a full shift in that situation.

It would have been interesting to have seen what would have happened if Youkilis would have walked. Striking out with two on and two out with the score tied after they walked intentionally walked the guy in front of you must be considered a season low point by Dunn. It would have been interesting to see what he would have done with a chance to redeem himself.

The White Sox really played a great game tonight, especially on defense. The only runs came in after two out in the first, set up after Beltre shortened up his swing with two strikes and poked a ground ball through the infield to keep the inning going, and a two-strike pitch that Hamilton hit for a home run. Pierzynski had a poor offensive night, but after the Rangers hit him with an 0-2 pitch, he turned in a key play in the game by going hard into home.

It was a fun game to watch. Frustrating at times, fortunately more so for the Rangers than the White Sox, and quite fun to watch.

Noneck
07-04-2012, 11:53 PM
Youk has never had a sacrifice bunt in his career.

Thats what I was thinking. I couldnt see anyone giving him the bunt sign, even ozwaldo. He is not the typical Sox 2 hitter.

Nelson Foxtrot
07-05-2012, 12:07 AM
I know it's only been nine games, and he hasn't been drawing walks yet, but I'm loving Youkilis. I think Everett in 2003 was the last in-season addition to make a real impact so quickly.

DickAllen72
07-05-2012, 12:09 AM
Thats what I was thinking. I couldnt see anyone giving him the bunt sign, even ozwaldo. He is not the typical Sox 2 hitter.
Ozzie frequently set players up to fail.

FielderJones
07-05-2012, 12:10 AM
Just got back from a hot night at the ballpark.

Highlight of the game was AJ plowing through Napoli at the plate. When I saw the ball trickling away it was awesome. FJ Jr, a big AJ fan, even gave the old man a high five.

What an at bat by Youk in the 10th. Fouling off pitch after pitch to finally get one he could drive and win the game. Fireworks are always better after a White Sox Winner!

Let's sweep these suckers!

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

slavko
07-05-2012, 12:11 AM
Bullpen was fantastic against a great lineup. Thornton was particularly effective for two innings. The big difference is that he has been mixing his offspeed pitches a lot more. It keeps the hitters from sitting on his fastball.

Thornton been a forgotten man. Good call on mixing up the pitches. I'll say it again, Axelrod's mediocre, not bad, ground it out pretty good tonight. Youk with leather and long at-bats, I was wrong, he has some gas left in the tank. Nice way to end a Holiday.

Rohan
07-05-2012, 12:14 AM
Youk!

Harry Potter
07-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Looks like someone is a sore loser :whiner:

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin

Adams said De Aza fouling the ball off his knee and his extended recovery period was like icing the kicker baseball-wise

Adams: "It's always frustrating when they get an extended period of time like that. I understand he fouls it off ....

... but either get out of the game or stay in the game, one or the other. But there's nothing I can do about it."

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/mlb/players/full/5969.png&w=350&h=254

Save McCuddy's
07-05-2012, 12:22 AM

Amen -- and what a brilliant take by Youk there. 0-2 count with a tough breaking ball low and he lays off. What a ballgame!

Soxman219
07-05-2012, 12:24 AM

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/mlb/players/full/5969.png&w=350&h=254

Yeah, that must have been it, that's what cost you the game.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Foulke You
07-05-2012, 12:25 AM

It seems that Joe Nathan has trained Adams well in the ways of whining.

The Immigrant
07-05-2012, 12:26 AM

I didn't think it was possible for that team to get any less likable, but he sure proved me wrong.

beasly213
07-05-2012, 12:28 AM
Fun night to be at the ball park. It was hot and sticky but good the walk off made it worth it.

DSpivack
07-05-2012, 12:39 AM
Every day I wake up and thank Bobby Valentine for running Youk out of Bean Town.

While the two certainly didn't get along, the emergence of Will Middlebrooks is more the reason they traded him; with the rookie at 3B, Adrian Gonzalez at 1B and David Ortiz at DH, he had nowhere to play.

Awesome anecdote. :cool:

Fun night to be at the ball park. It was hot and sticky but good the walk off made it worth it.

I watched until the 6th ended, but headed out to watch fireworks. Sounds like I missed a great ending!

doublem23
07-05-2012, 12:53 AM
I have no idea if DeAza, Rios and Viciedo expertly position themselves in the outfield, but together they cover a lot of ground.

It definitely helps to have a real CF for the 1st time in years

TDog
07-05-2012, 01:16 AM

I was thinking during the at bat that De Aza was doing a good job of icing Adams. But clearly, De Aza fouled the pitch off of his knee and was in substantial pain. I don't believe the icing was deliberate, although the stolen base may have contributed to Adams believing the delay was deliberate.

It is interesting going back over the game how many pivotal at bats were decided with strikes.

ElevenUp
07-05-2012, 01:30 AM
I was at the game tonight with my family. After the top of the first I told my son that it was OK, we'd get those runs back. I'm glad the Sox were able to do just that. Hot night at the park, but getting a win and sharing the experience with my family made it all worth it.

DonnieDarko
07-05-2012, 01:36 AM

To be fair, De Aza has a bit of a reputation to...act out on his pain. That doesn't change the fact that when he gets hit it looks like it hurts like a BAMF, but I'm just saying that he's got that perception.

But yeah, I think it's a little classless to call a guy out on that, but whatever. I know that it happens over the course of a baseball season. I won't get too upset about it.

JB98
07-05-2012, 01:41 AM
That whining baby Adams had both De Aza and Youkilis 0-2. Maybe if he knew how to put hitters away, he wouldn't have lost the game.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-05-2012, 01:47 AM
That whining baby Adams had both De Aza and Youkilis 0-2. Maybe if he knew how to put hitters away, he wouldn't have lost the game.

I vote for this one.

thomas35forever
07-05-2012, 02:30 AM
Think Youk likes it here so far?

Tragg
07-05-2012, 02:56 AM
I didn't think it was possible for that team to get any less likable, but he sure proved me wrong.

Oh it's possible. Spend a game listening to Tom Grive and Steve Busby, who doesn't shut up (- he was pulled from the radio booth after their TV announcer had mental breakdown on air).

Soxman219
07-05-2012, 02:58 AM

Hope so.

LITTLE NELL
07-05-2012, 06:29 AM

The next big hurdle will be after this homestand and the All Star break, 16 out of 19 on the road.

cards press box
07-05-2012, 06:34 AM

It was very warm but it was also a very good ballgame and a fun night, too! Oh yeah, and

:winner

LITTLE NELL
07-05-2012, 06:46 AM
What a jerk Rangers pitcher Mike Adams is, just read on MLB.com that he said that DeAza should have got out of the game or stayed in, like right away. The poor guy got hit flush on the knee with the foul tip and was in a lot of pain, it was something he didn't fake.

Chez
07-05-2012, 07:19 AM
Beckham's play behind second saved the game. Sox have won the Axelrod starts against both the Yankees and Rangers -- unreal. With Thornton likely unavailable today, we need a good outing by Q and "All the Young Dudes" in the bullpen. This team is very, very likeable, isn't it?

elrod
07-05-2012, 07:27 AM

I almost put this in the Cole Hamels "Dude, you're not supposed to say that in public" category (Hamels openly admitted he threw at Bryce Harper of the Nats...). I was watching the game on the ESPN broadcast and one of the guys - not Nomar - was saying that a long injury delay could mess up a relief pitcher's rhythm. He said that in reference to any player going down - not DeAza - and it made sense. But the relief pitcher should NEVER actually admit that in public.

kufram
07-05-2012, 07:59 AM
To be fair, De Aza has a bit of a reputation to...act out on his pain. That doesn't change the fact that when he gets hit it looks like it hurts like a BAMF, but I'm just saying that he's got that perception.

But yeah, I think it's a little classless to call a guy out on that, but whatever. I know that it happens over the course of a baseball season. I won't get too upset about it.

I agree. De Aza did that little crawl along the ground in agony (which I'm sure was real) again as if looking for the nearest foxhole. You won't catch PK doing that after getting hit in the face with a pitch. If he were on another team it would annoy me, but since he's on my team it's ok!

Even so, calling for him to either get in or out of the game quicker is a little pathetic. The pitcher's full quote isn't so bad as the truncated one sounds though. He says himself that he has to be able to deal with the situation... which he does.

Must have been 2 great games to be at the park for those who were able to.

Youk could be what really makes this team take a big step forward.

October26
07-05-2012, 08:51 AM

YES! I would say Youk is having a blast right now. And so am I. Thanks, Kevin, for hitting that game-winning single which made my 4th of July Holiday absolutely perfect. Nothing better than a White Sox walk-off win (with fireworks) on the 4th of July. Keep on winning, White Sox! :bandance:

asindc
07-05-2012, 09:14 AM
I agree. De Aza did that little crawl along the ground in agony (which I'm sure was real) again as if looking for the nearest foxhole. You won't catch PK doing that after getting hit in the face with a pitch. If he were on another team it would annoy me, but since he's on my team it's ok!

Even so, calling for him to either get in or out of the game quicker is a little pathetic. The pitcher's full quote isn't so bad as the truncated one sounds though. He says himself that he has to be able to deal with the situation... which he does.

Must have been 2 great games to be at the park for those who were able to.

Youk could be what really makes this team take a big step forward.

Well, I am willing to cut anyone slack who has fouled a pitch off his knee. Different people react differently to real pain. Rather than finding De Aza's reaction a bit odd, I admire his tenacity for getting up and having a great AB, followed by a SB, both obviously very crucial plays in this game.

This was the most satisfying game of the year for me.:bandance: Well played on both sides, and it came down to which team would make one more outstanding play. Youk is the the player of the game for the Sox, but I give De Aza honorable mention. I am loving the way this team runs the bases and plays top flight defense.

Speaking of defense, the difference in the standings between the Sox and Detroit so far is that we have Pauly, Beckham, Alexei, and Youk (Morel before him) in our IF, while they have Fielder, Santiago, Peralta, and Cabrera playing in theirs. Barring the unforeseen, that won't change this season, no matter how well they play otherwise.

SI1020
07-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Also nice to comeback from that early three run deficit like it was nothing, like when the Yankees got up four on us last week. That's the sign of a mentally strong team that comes to play. Which is totally different than what we've had to get used to in previous years.

Golden Sox
07-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Nobody seems to be talking about this but isn't this the best defensive White Sox team since 2005? Now that Youk is at 3rd base, every one of our starting men is good defensively. Good defense always makes the pitching staff look better.

cws05champ
07-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Sox now .500 at home after the win!!!

Also, I just noticed that the Sox run differential is at +60 now....3rd in the majors behind Texas (+82) and Cardinals (+65). Unbelievable.

I have a good feeling about this team right now....if Danks can come back healthy and pitch like he is capable and Humber come back to be the long/swing man that will add more stability to the staff.

GlassSox
07-05-2012, 10:38 AM

Amen! He's only whining because he blew it.

Hartman
07-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Even if Youkilis didnt come through, you gotta love the way he wore out Adams.

aryzner
07-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Sox now .500 at home after the win!!!

Also, I just noticed that the Sox run differential is at +60 now....3rd in the majors behind Texas (+82) and Cardinals (+65). Unbelievable.

I have a good feeling about this team right now....if Danks can come back healthy and pitch like he is capable and Humber come back to be the long/swing man that will add more stability to the staff.

That's amazing that the Sox made such a huge dent in the Rangers' run differential on Tuesday and it's still far and away the best in the majors.

kobo
07-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Nice to finally have a 3B who can play defense and actually contribute offensively. Youk is hitting .306 with 1 HR and 9 RBI in 9 games since joining the White Sox.

Noneck
07-05-2012, 11:09 AM

This game is all about pitching, the more options and possibilities, the better the chances a team has.

kobo
07-05-2012, 11:11 AM
That's amazing that the Sox made such a huge dent in the Rangers' run differential on Tuesday and it's still far and away the best in the majors.
The Sox run differential on the road is +42, which is tied for 2nd best in all of MLB.

FielderJones
07-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Forgot to post about this last night as I was wiped out and sleepy. FJ Jr left to get some food, but came back to the seats right away to point out to me that Alexei's dad was at the top of the aisle between sections 130 and 131. I had not seen him in the stands before that. Mr. Ramirez came down the aisle, and I waved and said hi to him.

TomBradley72
07-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Most likeable Sox team since 2005 for sure- incredibly solid on defense, never out of a game to the last out, amazing array of rookies coming through on the pitching staff, and Ventura really seems to have his hand right on the pulse of this team and making the right moves accordingly.

I'll also give KW alot of credit- as a fan who weathered the 1970's and 1980's to have a line up with some of the biggest names in MLB- Rios, Youkilis, Konerko, AJ, Dunn, Peavy mixed in with our youth (Viciedo, Beckham, Sale) and role players (De Aza)- they've gone from my most hated edition of the White Sox (last year's mess) to a team that is right up there with my favorite teams (2005, 1983, 1990, 1977, 1972- I appreciated the 1993, 2000 and 2008 teams- but for whatever reason, they just didn't stick with me as much).

Very proud of this group of guys and thankful they are making this such a surprisingly fun summer of baseball.

everafan
07-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Yeah, that must have been it, that's what cost you the game.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Adams said it was frustrating - it was probably more frustrating for the guy writhing in pain.

Noneck
07-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Most likeable Sox team since 2005 for sure- incredibly solid on defense, never out of a game to the last out, amazing array of rookies coming through on the pitching staff, and Ventura really seems to have his hand right on the pulse of this team and making the right moves accordingly.

I'll also give KW alot of credit- as a fan who weathered the 1970's and 1980's to have a line up with some of the biggest names in MLB- Rios, Youkilis, Konerko, AJ, Dunn, Peavy mixed in with our youth (Viciedo, Beckham, Sale) and role players (De Aza)- they've gone from my most hated edition of the White Sox (last year's mess) to a team that is right up there with my favorite teams (2005, 1983, 1990, 1977, 1972- I appreciated the 1993, 2000 and 2008 teams- but for whatever reason, they just didn't stick with me as much).

Very proud of this group of guys and thankful they are making this such a surprisingly fun summer of baseball.

Role player? Hes one of the best leadoff hitters the Sox have had so far this year, in my lifetime, that goes back 50 years.

ZombieRob
07-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Role player? Hes one of the best leadoff hitters the Sox have had so far this year, in my lifetime, that goes back 50 years.
No Love for Chet Lemon or Rudy Law :D:

asindc
07-05-2012, 12:07 PM

One Dog.

TomBradley72
07-05-2012, 12:08 PM

Or John Cangelosi? Rob Machowiak? Darrin Erstad?

I screwed up on De Aza-I agree this may be the best overall season for a White Sox CF/lead off hitter in my time as a fan.

Noneck
07-05-2012, 12:12 PM

I have love for them and Pods 1st half of 05, I said one of.

BigKlu59
07-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Even if Youkilis didnt come through, you gotta love the way he wore out Adams.

I hope this rubs off on some of our free swingers.. In what is the pitch count MLB these days, get any starter close to the century mark before or near 5-6 innings and the chess game of the bull pen is a weak spot on most teams.. I think Mantos should get Honorable Mention for the turn around of Alex Rios. He looks more focused and calm up there and is spraying the ball all over the field..They dont know where to pitch him .. He's taken what he's given and put it into play or crushed a mistake.. "Huge" turnaround..

Youk also brings some level headedness to the game as a vet, when things will get squirrley down the stretch and leadership needs to be more pronounced.. If I needed someone in a fox hole with me, with him I wouldnt have to worry about my back..

Gotta give KW props on this move... Youk's not done yet, still has heart, and wants to show BV that he gave up on him prematurely.. Nothing like a scrapper scorned.. Lets sit back and enjoy the show..

BK59

soxinem1
07-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Great to beat the best on the national stage.

And at home where we are .500 now. :bandance:

hawkjt
07-05-2012, 01:10 PM
I hope this rubs off on some of our free swingers.. In what is the pitch count MLB these days, get any starter close to the century mark before or near 5-6 innings and the chess game of the bull pen is a weak spot on most teams.. I think Mantos should get Honorable Mention for the turn around of Alex Rios. He looks more focused and calm up there and is spraying the ball all over the field..They dont know where to pitch him .. He's taken what he's given and put it into play or crushed a mistake.. "Huge" turnaround..

Youk also brings some level headedness to the game as a vet, when things will get squirrley down the stretch and leadership needs to be more pronounced.. If I needed someone in a fox hole with me, with him I wouldnt have to worry about my back..

Gotta give KW props on this move... Youk's not done yet, still has heart, and wants to show BV that he gave up on him prematurely.. Nothing like a scrapper scorned.. Lets sit back and enjoy the show..

BK59

Rios is a different player this year. Obviously comfortable in right field vs center,he has been a great defender,not good,but great.
At the plate, he finally looks relaxed. Remember the tippy-toe stance of prior years? I never thought it made any sense. Now, he just digs in,and stands there normally,relaxed,and looks for a good pitch to drive wherever it is thrown. See ball,hit ball. Love it. He should be an allstar.

fram40
07-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Or John Cangelosi? Rob Machowiak? Darrin Erstad?

I screwed up on De Aza-I agree this may be the best overall season for a White Sox CF/lead off hitter in my time as a fan.

I love De Aza - and I believe he is the key to this offense performing well.

ChiSoxGal85
07-05-2012, 01:44 PM
I record every game, although I don't normally watch the game later when I know the outcome (which is almost always, thanks to WSI and MLB AtBat - yep, I'm addicted). But I felt the need to watch this one this morning after all the positive comments.

AJ's play at the plate running over Napoli was a terrific clean play. Good thing Napoli didn't get hurt or it would have incurred massive "AJ tried to hurt him on purpose because of the All-Star snub" crap from the Rangers.

Alexrod giving up the HR to Hamilton after that 4-run 2nd...:(:

Some really, really good Sox defense all game. Nice DP by Youk-Beckham-Paulie in the 4th. A spectacular pair of plays by Youk in the 5th. What a great pickup he has been for the Sox so far; kudos to KW. Beckham's play in the 7th to get the double play was key. DeAza's catch in the 8th - awesome!

Alex Rios is hitting the ball hard all over the field. What a great season he is having. Appreciate the Rios!

Addison Reed shuts down Hamilton, Beltre, and Young in the top of the 10th on like 7 pitches. Great job.

DeAza hit that foul ball directly off the corner of his kneecap. That freakin' hurts. Quit your whining, Adams.

Youk's at-bat to win the game is one of the highlights of the year.
This game is staying on my DVR for while. :bandance:

FourStarsTwoBars
07-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Did anyone else suffer on the Red Line after the game last night?

I and everyone else waited 16 minutes for train that accidentally didnt stop at the station. It went in reverse to come back. Grand and Chicago stops were packed with Navy Pier fireworks crowds that hadn't seen a Howard bound train in 25 minutes.

ghostface36
07-05-2012, 04:38 PM
amazing game my first of the year, i thought axlerod blew it after the first but it turned out not

Nellie_Fox
07-06-2012, 01:14 AM
Role player? Hes one of the best leadoff hitters the Sox have had so far this year, in my lifetime, that goes back 50 years.Aparicio?

Noneck
07-06-2012, 01:17 AM
Aparicio?

Of course hes also one of them.