PDA

View Full Version : Making first trip to US Cellular

hoosieric
07-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Hello White Sox fans,

I am a Reds fan in Northern Indiana, and have never been to a Sox game. This Saturday, me and three buddies have tickets to see the game against the Blue Jays (and get Alexei Ramirez bobbleheads!) I wanted to make the trip to experience a new ballpark and root on my old favorite player, Adam Dunn. I have a few questions that I am hoping you guys (and gals) can help me with...

1. I usually like to drive up to Chesterton and ride the train into Wrigley to cheer on the Reds against the Cubs, what is the best way to get to US Cellular?

2. How early should we arrive to make sure we get bobbleheads?

3. Are there any places in or around the stadium that we absolutely must hit up to eat before or after the game?

Any other suggestions on how to best enjoy the day or appreciated!
Thanks!

Go Reds and Go Sox!

Wedema
07-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Hello White Sox fans,

I am a Reds fan in Northern Indiana, and have never been to a Sox game. This Saturday, me and three buddies have tickets to see the game against the Blue Jays (and get Alexei Ramirez bobbleheads!) I wanted to make the trip to experience a new ballpark and root on my old favorite player, Adam Dunn. I have a few questions that I am hoping you guys (and gals) can help me with...

1. I usually like to drive up to Chesterton and ride the train into Wrigley to cheer on the Reds against the Cubs, what is the best way to get to US Cellular?

3. Are there any places in or around the stadium that we absolutely must hit up to eat before or after the game?

Thanks!

Go Reds and Go Sox!

1. If you take the South Shore from Chesterton you would have to take it all the way to Millenium Station (Randolph St.) and then take the Red Line back to SOX/ 35th Street.

2. You should get a bobblehead if you arrive around the time that the gates open at 1:40 (3:10 start)

3. I love to stop at Maxwell St. Depot on 31st street for burgers after the game, but if you are taking the train you could always visit Bacardi and the Park across the street from the Cell.

dickallen15
07-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Just be careful. According to the Tribune, USCF and its immediate area is very dangerous. At the beginning of the 2005 playoffs they even reported the area reaked of marijuana.

Southsider101
07-04-2012, 01:29 PM
If you like Chinese food, take the Red Line to the Chinatown stop at 22nd Street. Get off, explore and take your pick of any one of dozens of great restaurants before or after the game. The Three Happiness across the street from the CTA Red Line station is excellent for pre-game dim sum.

jamokes
07-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Unlike other ballparks, our owner does not want any competition for food or drink near the park. If you want a local establishment go to Cork and Kerry just north of the park on 33rd st. Bacardi's is team owned.

ChiSoxGal85
07-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Just be careful. According to the Tribune, USCF and its immediate area is very dangerous. At the beginning of the 2005 playoffs they even reported the area reaked of marijuana.
With all due respect, this poster is new, and may not be aware that this is a sarcastic post based on some recent WSI banter in other threads.

hoosieric - Wedema gave you some good advice and I'm sure that other regular game attendees will chime in. Enjoy the game!

KenBerryGrab
07-04-2012, 03:06 PM
What level are your seats? If yoU're downstairs, check out the statues on the outfield concourse.

If you want a nacho helmet -- highly recommended, btw -- do it early or the lines get huge.

I've always thought the cart-grilled hot dog "with" (grilled onions) is the park's signature taste.

DumpJerry
07-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Unlike other ballparks, our owner does not want any competition for food or drink near the park. If you want a local establishment go to Cork and Kerry just north of the park on 33rd st. Bacardi's is team owned.
There are other local places. One block each of Cork and Kerry is Turtles. Rocky's is two blocks north of Turtles. There's a bunch of places up and down Halsted which is five blocks west of the park. So far, none of them have been shut down by Sox ownership.

kittle42
07-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Please come back and post your experience as it compares to a game at Wrigley.

hoosieric
07-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Please come back and post your experience as it compares to a game at Wrigley.

Thanks for all the help everyone! I will keep this thread up on my phone for easy access when it's lunch-time.

And kittle, I will be sure to do so. I actually like Wrigley, but I think a big reason for that is that the Reds always win there haha

hoosieric
07-04-2012, 07:07 PM
What level are your seats? If yoU're downstairs, check out the statues on the outfield concourse.

If you want a nacho helmet -- highly recommended, btw -- do it early or the lines get huge.

I've always thought the cart-grilled hot dog "with" (grilled onions) is the park's signature taste.

I've got upper-level seats, but I am definitely going to explore the park for about an hour-and-a-half before the game.

One more question, is Sox apparel priced reasonably at the stadium/near the stadium? I'd like to get a Dunn jersey shirt. At Great American Ballpark, everything is marked up about 30% all retail stores prices.

chisoxfanatic
07-04-2012, 07:28 PM
I've got upper-level seats, but I am definitely going to explore the park for about an hour-and-a-half before the game.

One more question, is Sox apparel priced reasonably at the stadium/near the stadium? I'd like to get a Dunn jersey shirt. At Great American Ballpark, everything is marked up about 30% all retail stores prices.
I would go to a sporting goods store near Chesterton if I were you. It would be considerably less expensive.

soxfan2504
07-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Hello White Sox fans,

Thanks!

Go Reds and Go Sox!

Regarding your questions in bold, if you are craving a Chicago dog, or other similarly greasy food, and you have time to go 4 blocks/half a mile west of the park, I'd recommend Morrie O'Malley's, at 35th and Union.

Be forewarded, though, that seating is all outdoors and very limited.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/morrie-o-malleys-hot-dogs-chicago-3
http://www.morrieomalleys35.com/Menu.html

Also, regarding where to transfer from the South Shore Line to the 'L', I'd recommend getting off at Museum Campus/11th Street, walk a couple blocks west down Roosevelt Road to the Roosevelt subway/'L' station complex. Take either the Red Line subway south 2 stops or Green Line elevated south 1 stop to 35th Street. More direct than going all the way downtown to Millennium/Randolph station and transferring there.

Have fun at the game!

DSpivack
07-04-2012, 07:43 PM

Unless your tickets are season tickets, you won't be able to.

hoosieric
07-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Unless your tickets are season tickets, you won't be able to.

when do gates usually open? also, thanks soxfan for the suggestion!

MtGrnwdSoxFan
07-04-2012, 08:14 PM
when do gates usually open? also, thanks soxfan for the suggestion!

Generally about an hour and a half before game time.

DumpJerry
07-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Do your tickets say lower deck access on them? If not, you're stuck upstairs. If you got your tickets from a season ticket holder, they should have the lower deck access notation.

SephClone89
07-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Regarding your questions in bold, if you are craving a Chicago dog, or other similarly greasy food, and you have time to go 4 blocks/half a mile west of the park, I'd recommend Morrie O'Malley's, at 35th and Union.

Be forewarded, though, that seating is all outdoors and very limited.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/morrie-o-malleys-hot-dogs-chicago-3
http://www.morrieomalleys35.com/Menu.html

I've never made it to MOM's, but I'll throw in a recommendation for 35th Street Red Hots, which is just about two blocks away, right outside of Lot G (my personal favorite lot)

GlassSox
07-04-2012, 10:35 PM
:welcome:

Hope you have a great time.

hoosieric
07-04-2012, 11:57 PM
Do your tickets say lower deck access on them? If not, you're stuck upstairs. If you got your tickets from a season ticket holder, they should have the lower deck access notation.

Oooh ok I think I see what you're saying.

Thanks for the help everyone! Should be a great time! Go Sox!

BigHurt3515
07-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Quick question, I am in section 152 on Friday, will I be able to roam around the park and check everything out?

beasly213
07-05-2012, 12:31 AM
Quick question, I am in section 152 on Friday, will I be able to roam around the park and check everything out?

Yep. Lower level you can go anywhere.. well minus the club level.

hoosieric
07-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Last question (for now)

Are you allowed to bring coolers into the game? At GABP you are allowed to bring small coolers in, as long as there's no glass and everything is sealed. Is US Cellular like this?

Chez
07-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Last question (for now)

Are you allowed to bring coolers into the game? At GABP you are allowed to bring small coolers in, as long as there's no glass and everything is sealed. Is US Cellular like this?

Soft-sided coolers with sealed water bottles are permitted. You can bring any kind of food (and as much as you want) into the park.

GlassSox
07-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Last question (for now)

On the White Sox web site there is an A-Z about US Cellular Field that will explain all about carry-ins & etc.

Zisk77
07-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Unlike Wrigley you can actually drive to the game. The Sox have there own parking lots - and you can tailgate! Although if you have a cheap place to park in the city, its still cheaper to take the redline.

mahagga73
07-05-2012, 05:30 PM
I've never made it to MOM's, but I'll throw in a recommendation for 35th Street Red Hots, which is just about two blocks away, right outside of Lot G (my personal favorite lot)
Is that the one past the ramp down the street ,says Vose or something on the sign, lots of ant-flubs shirts for sale? Yeah,that is a cheap ,good place to get dogs before game.

mahagga73
07-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Oooh ok I think I see what you're saying.

Thanks for the help everyone! Should be a great time! Go Sox!
I wouldn't worry about eating outside the park ,USCF has some of the best food in sports, especially the dogs.

kittle42
07-05-2012, 07:01 PM
I wouldn't worry about eating outside the park ,USCF has the best food in sports, especially the dogs.

They don't even have the best food in the AL Central.

mahagga73
07-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Please enlighten me. I've been to many NFL,MLB,NHL,NBA,college arenas,stadiums, etc. ,the Sox have the best food by far for the most reasonable prices.

AnkleSox
07-05-2012, 08:19 PM
If you have upper deck tickets and you get there early enough, you can go to the bullpen bar in right field and get a picnic table seat right at field level for free. For $15 extra you can upgrade to the tables that are up top (basically at the height of the top of the fence). This is the only way you'd be able to see the game from the lower deck with those tickets. In my opinion they are some of the best seats in the house, plus you get waitress/waiter service and have more food and beer options.

These fill up pretty quickly; I'd say you'd want to show up at least an hour early to get there.

Warriorjan
07-05-2012, 09:25 PM
If there are several of you coming, it might be just as cost effective to drive in and park in one of the lots as to take the train from Chesterton and then the CTA, when you factor in the fares, etc.
I agree that the dogs from the carts with the grilled onions are terrific - although today we escaped the heat with a cheeseburger at Bacaradi at the Park during the first couple of innings.
There is also a nice little Italian restaurant called Franco's on 31st street four blocks north of the park. Not a sports bar, just a family-run place.
Although you won't have lower-deck access you can check out the murals on the upper deck. As it's a Kids Day, kids will be running the bases after the game, so I would presume that you could take a quick walk around the lower deck right after the game.

Wedema
07-05-2012, 10:42 PM
If there are several of you coming, it might be just as cost effective to drive in and park in one of the lots as to take the train from Chesterton and then the CTA, when you factor in the fares, etc.
I agree that the dogs from the carts with the grilled onions are terrific - although today we escaped the heat with a cheeseburger at Bacaradi at the Park during the first couple of innings.
There is also a nice little Italian restaurant called Franco's on 31st street four blocks north of the park. Not a sports bar, just a family-run place.
Although you won't have lower-deck access you can check out the murals on the upper deck. As it's a Kids Day, kids will be running the bases after the game, so I would presume that you could take a quick walk around the lower deck right after the game.

Sunday is Kids Day-- not Saturday when he is going. Actually, on Kids Days, if you get there when the park opens, they do not check tickets and everyone had lower deck access for the autograph signing.

Harry Potter
07-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Sunday is Kids Day-- not Saturday when he is going. Actually, on Kids Days, if you get there when the park opens, they do not check tickets and everyone had lower deck access for the autograph signing.

OMG :o:. Anarchy!!!

DumpJerry
07-05-2012, 11:01 PM
I wouldn't worry about eating outside the park ,USCF has some of the best food in sports, especially the dogs.

Please enlighten me. I've been to many NFL,MLB,NHL,NBA,college arenas,stadiums, etc. ,the Sox have the best food by far for the most reasonable prices.
:rolleyes: This silliness again........

DumpJerry
07-05-2012, 11:03 PM
If you have upper deck tickets and you get there early enough, you can go to the bullpen bar in right field and get a picnic table seat right at field level for free. For $15 extra you can upgrade to the tables that are up top (basically at the height of the top of the fence). This is the only way you'd be able to see the game from the lower deck with those tickets. In my opinion they are some of the best seats in the house, plus you get waitress/waiter service and have more food and beer options.

These fill up pretty quickly; I'd say you'd want to show up at least an hour early to get there.

You still can't access the lower deck from the tables, however.

Really? They check them whenever I'm there on Kids Day. I've been to almost all of them since I'm a season ticket holder.

Brian26
07-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Really? They check them whenever I'm there on Kids Day. I've been to almost all of them since I'm a season ticket holder.

I think for Kids' Day, they let everyone (even Upper Deck tickets) come to the lower deck for autographs for the first hour after gates open.

PaleHoser
07-06-2012, 12:18 AM
Since there are four of you going to the park, I'd recommend driving all the way. The drive from Chesterton should be just over an hour depending on traffic and parking is plentiful around the park.

The park will be on your left as you drive toward the city and right off I-90. Exit at 35th Street (hard to miss, as most streets on the South Side that run east/west are numbered), make two left turns to cross over the expressway. Turn right on 37th and you'll be right at the cash parking lots. Weekend parking is $23.

Tolls would be about $12 round trip from Chesterton (both Skyway and Indiana Toll Road), so all four of you would get to the game for $35 plus gas. You also wouldn't be married to the train schedule.

Regarding food, I second the recommendation for 35th Street Red Hots. That's about two blocks west of the park on the north side of 35th Street, just on the other side of the viaduct. Chicago style dogs, home cut fries and some pretty tasty fried shrimp.

Regarding an Adam Dunn jersey (or any other Sox merchandise), I recommend Grandstand. Grandstand is a souvenir shop located four blocks west of the park (two blocks past 35th Street Red Hots) at the northwest corner of 35th Street and Wallace. They specialize in White Sox apparel and finding a Dunn jersey or T-shirt won't be a problem there. Well worth the walk (less than 10 minutes from parking).

salty99
07-06-2012, 09:49 AM
You still can't access the lower deck from the tables, however.

I've been to a bunch of kids days over the past 2-3 years and they never check.

gregoriop
07-06-2012, 09:53 AM

I live about 10 minutes away from the Chesterton station and it's almost always not worth it to take the train. I'm glad it's an option, but it really is a breeze driving to the Cell. The parking vs. train price is not a big difference, especially with 3 people.

Warriorjan
07-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Somehow I saw Saturday and it translated to Sunday in my brain. I'm blaming the fact that I attended yesterday's game, even though I only actually lasted three innings in our seats before giving up and having to get out of the heat.

Wedema
07-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Really? They check them whenever I'm there on Kids Day. I've been to almost all of them since I'm a season ticket holder.[/QUOTE]

If you arrive early for the autograph session, they do not check tickets and everyone is allowed in the lower level for the autographs.

hoosieric
07-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Thanks for all the help everyone! I will be sure to use it to make the most out of this trip! And I would drive in to the park, but I'm not really much of a big city driver yet, and the train relieves a lot of unnecessary stress for me haha.

Go Sox!

hoosieric
07-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Whoever suggested 35th Street Red Hots to me, THANK YOU! Delicious!

Couple quick thoughts...

Youk is a ballplayer.

And Sox fans need to fill up the stadium! It's a Saturday afternoon in Chicago, in a great stadium to see a game, and the home team is in first place. Great day for a game. Everyone on here is obviously a diehard and would go to every single game if possible, heck I know I would, but it's just hard for me to believe that more people don't go root on the Sox for a game on a Saturday.

LITTLE NELL
07-08-2012, 07:06 PM

Couple quick thoughts...

Youk is a ballplayer.

And Sox fans need to fill up the stadium! It's a Saturday afternoon in Chicago, in a great stadium to see a game, and the home team is in first place. Great day for a game. Everyone on here is obviously a diehard and would go to every single game if possible, heck I know I would, but it's just hard for me to believe that more people don't go root on the Sox for a game on a Saturday.

It's driving a lot of us here at WSI crazy why the fans are not supporting the team the way they should. There is some kind of boycott against the ticket and parking prices going on and management must address this for future seasons. Its a crime that we couldn't even get 30,000 for the Saturday and Sunday games.

WLL1855
07-08-2012, 07:36 PM
[/I][/B]

It's driving a lot of us here at WSI crazy why the fans are not supporting the team the way they should. There is some kind of boycott against the ticket and parking prices going on and management must address this for future seasons. Its a crime that we couldn't even get 30,000 for the Saturday and Sunday games.

Some of us live 3+ hours each way to the park. When I'm shelling out more in gas than I'm paying for my seat and parking, don't expect me to make every game they play.

I still make a half dozen games a year so I consider myself to be doing my part.

LITTLE NELL
07-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Some of us live 3+ hours each way to the park. When I'm shelling out more in gas than I'm paying for my seat and parking, don't expect me to make every game they play.

I still make a half dozen games a year so I consider myself to be doing my part.

You are doing your part and thank you.
Before I retired to Florida, 6 to 12 games a year is what we attended but I think high ticket and parking prices has kept fans like you and me away this year. Many years the Sox always had good walk-up crowds when they were in a race and the kids were out of school, that doesn't seem to be the case any longer.

DSpivack
07-08-2012, 07:43 PM

Couple quick thoughts...

Youk is a ballplayer.

[/I][/B]

It's not an organized boycott, it's an effect of a bad pricing model.

Warriorjan
07-08-2012, 10:03 PM
I was very surprised today, with it being a Kids Day (which meant cheap walk-up tix for kids, even though in the upper deck) and a beautiful day to boot, that there weren't more people at the park.
Just by chance, this was my fourth game this week, and by far the best weather-wise, although I would have preferred a win.

Golden Sox
07-08-2012, 10:09 PM
With all the talk of attendance on these posts, I was just wondering. Are the TV/Radio ratings for the White Sox any good this year as compared to last year? The attendance is starting to go up. Before this homestand our average attendance was 22,000. This last 6 game homestand averaged over 27,000 per game.

Nellie_Fox
07-09-2012, 01:25 AM
Stop the attendance posts. Now.

GABP
07-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Why?

C-Dawg
07-09-2012, 10:44 AM
I think for Kids' Day, they let everyone (even Upper Deck tickets) come to the lower deck for autographs for the first hour after gates open.

Its spotty, though. Yesterday there were indeed checking tickets, but I didn't linger long enough to see if any 500 ticketholders were allowed into the LD or not (and if they were, it makes me wonder why even check the tickets in the first place?). But on past Kids Days, they weren't even checking tickets.

Jerko
07-09-2012, 01:17 PM
They checked my ticket for the first time in years yesterday, coming out of the stadium club onto the 100 level. Even if I had 500 level tickets, I'd have to go that way anyway to get to the seats! My point is, it's never the same twice...... it all depends on who's working where and what mood they're in I guess.

chisoxfanatic
07-09-2012, 02:30 PM
They checked my ticket for the first time in years yesterday, coming out of the stadium club onto the 100 level. Even if I had 500 level tickets, I'd have to go that way anyway to get to the seats! My point is, it's never the same twice...... it all depends on who's working where and what mood they're in I guess.
I've always had the experience that if you smile at them and give them a good greeting, it gets them in better spirits, and they really don't care.

Jerko
07-09-2012, 02:51 PM
I've always had the experience that if you smile at them and give them a good greeting, it gets them in better spirits, and they really don't care.

Yes the one game you've been to in the past 2 years. :tongue:

And I ALWAYS give them good greetings!

thehawkeroo
07-09-2012, 10:17 PM
The curly fries at the park are great. I wish cobblestones was still open.

Nellie_Fox
07-10-2012, 01:43 AM
Stop the attendance posts. Now.

Why?If you're asking "why" in reference to my post above, first of all go read the WSI rules. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=114038) Then, because it hadn't been happening in a long time, a couple of reminders have been posted this season. We do not allow griping about the attendance. Period.