PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 7-1 Return of the Popup; NYY 4 SOX 2 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
07-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Today's offense was brought to us by guest hitting coach Greg Walker.

Floyd needs to be flogged for every walk he surrenders, and flogged again for any walked batter he allows to score on a home run.

LongLiveFisk
07-01-2012, 04:57 PM
As unimpressive as Floyd was today, the game was never out of reach according to the scoreboard. The offense has to hit beyond just the first inning.

thomas35forever
07-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Bad offense. Get it back together on Tuesday.

OmahaSoxFan
07-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Well the Sox got out of New York with a split, so I am not all that disappointed - just glad the Sox won the Thursday\Friday games.

Things were looking good after the Sox came out of the gates and scored 2 runs in the top of the 1st, and Gavin got out of what could have been a disaster in the bottom of the 1st... but the bats went silent once again and Gavin couldn't hold the Yanks down.

The lead in the Central back down to 1 1/2 games, with an off day tomorrow (and both CLE and DET playing). Its going to be a tough stretch heading in the ASG with Texas and Toronto coming to the Cell (two teams the Sox have struggled with mightily the last few years).

LITTLE NELL
07-01-2012, 05:04 PM
4-3 roadtrip not bad but a letdown after winning the first 2 in NY.
Time for a good homestand, not easy with Texas and Toronto coming in but we are due to start winning at home.

JB98
07-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Floyd has never learned not to throw get-me-over pitches on 3-2. That home run by Cano was a mental mistake as much as anything.

Not a very good offensive approach today. They just popped up high fastballs from Hughes all day. That pitch is not a strike. If you can't hit it, you gotta lay off it.

Septimo looked good. I doubt Ohman could have retired that group of Yankee hitters in such impressive fashion. Small sample size, but let's hope that spot in the bullpen has been upgraded.

Adele_H
07-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Today's offense was brought to us by guest hitting coach Greg Walker.

Floyd needs to be flogged for every walk he surrenders, and flogged again for any walked batter he allows to score on a home run.

Credit the Yankees. While Sox prematurely celebrated after smacking gazillion HR in taking the first 2, probably partying deep into the night celebrating on Fri and Sat nights...... Girardi & the Yankees seemed to made adjustments.

Kuroda smartly refused to throw a get-me-over pitch down the middle -- even running risk of falling behind. Which he did, but Sox bailed him out each time trying to pull/uppercut everything. He kept going away-away-away, slow, slower -- Sox hitters apparently trying to go yard like they did Thu and Fri, kept jamming themselves instead of hitting a few soft opposite field gorks, putting runners on, getting Kuroda into the slide-step mode....... Phil Hughes merely continued same pattern, although in early innings he was absolutely meat until Yanks gave more margin for error with the lead.

Truth is..... Peavy and Floyd really didn't even the Sox a chance. Giving Yankees early lead, putting the Sox offense in a situation where they had to work uphill ----- one of the reasons Kuroda/Hughes could nibble so much is because they had the LUXURY to do so with the lead.

Peavy pitch selection to Wise, Granderson with less than 2 strikes, same as Jaimmi Carroll in Minnesota.... just awful. Like, literally what you would throw if you tried to lose the game. This is what I meant before: for a wily, savvy veteran who prides himself on being such a big student of the game, Peavy has these spells where his decision-making is bizarre and he seems to be on autopilot...

Floyd is beyond frustrating. He can't pitch from the stretch; he can't get LH out. Only he can go from dominating-mode putting up like 20 scoreless innings over several starts... to Total Meltdown in like 3 seconds flat. That new cutter of his is pure trash. Why did he & Cooper get rid of the SLIDER that used to combat the LH inside so effectively in the past? Was it because it was hurting his elbow? If so, then why didn't Sox trade Floyd while his value was high in the off-season? If not, then he needs to bring it back.

I mean.... was expecting Sox to go 7-0 or better on this road trip, so unreasonable? :bandance:

TDog
07-01-2012, 05:26 PM
As unimpressive as Floyd was today, the game was never out of reach according to the scoreboard. The offense has to hit beyond just the first inning.

As unimpressive as Floyd was, he only gave up four runs, which was as many as Peavy gave up Saturday, although Peavy went eight. Floyd actually did a good job pitching out of trouble, including a bases-loaded, none out situation in the first. But on a hot day in New Yord, a right-handed pitcher who gives up a lot of home runs is going to be challenged.

Unfortunately, the two best drives by White Sox hitters were hit to left. Rios certainly would have had a two-run homer just about anywhere else. A power-alley drive off the 399-sign is a no-doubter in most places. I also thought Beckham took Hughes deep later in the game. Hughes came back after the first inning, and except in the third when Konerko and Rios got hits against thim after two out, he had the White Sox completely off stride.

If Soriano had been available for the ninth Thursday, the Yankees might have won three out of four. But the White Sox might have been two pitches shy today of taking three of four from the Yankees. The difference in the day games in the series was the healthy Yankees starters going deep into games and not further straining the tired bullpen while the Yankees were getting all their runs on home runs to right, except for the Wise RBI double. The Yankees were able to get the most out of their home field advantage.

Rios was impressive, and not just with the two-out RBI hit in the first and what with anyone else on first and perhaps anywhere else, would ahve been a two-out RBI hit in the third. He had a great defensive game.

It is odd that the best start of the series for the White Sox was the one that many fans conceded as a loss. The home runs to right might have been more plentiful in the original Yankee Stadium configuration, where Ruth and Gehrig hitting lefty (Gehrig did too, but the park was designed with Ruth home runs in mind, with a monster left-center field), it was only 296 down the right-field line.

I get the sense that the Yankees will only go as far as their starting pitching will take them, and it's too bad the White Sox didn't do more with their healthy starters Saturday and Sunday.

Adele_H
07-01-2012, 05:38 PM
And who's this Leyson Septimo? Between Jordan Danks, Gordon Becks, John Danks, Leyson Septimo....

oh oh certain someone might have a seizure....

:farmer

"Happy Belated 4th of Christmakkuh and Merry New Year's, friends. Don't forget to tip your local fireman"

Bucky F. Dent
07-01-2012, 05:45 PM
At the beginning of the weekend if you had told me we would split the series, I would have been happy. However, after winning the first two, and scoring as many runs as we did in the second; a split leaves a bad taste.

chisoxfanatic
07-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Splitting this series is so disappointing after taking the first two.

fram40
07-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Splitting this series is so disappointing after taking the first two.

indeed. But the 4-3 road trip resulted in the Sox gaining a game on Cleveland and maintaining a 3 game lead on Detroit

Frustrating as hell, no doubt. But still, a good week. Now they need a 4-2 home stand, at worst.

October26
07-01-2012, 06:06 PM
At the beginning of the weekend if you had told me we would split the series, I would have been happy. However, after winning the first two, and scoring as many runs as we did in the second; a split leaves a bad taste.

This is how I'm feeling as well. I was really hoping for the Sox to win the series today and disappointed it did not happen.

amsteel
07-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Splitting with the Yanks on the road is satisfying, but I was hoping to really learn something about the Sox by playing a top-notch AL opponent.

What did we learn? The offense is capable of winning us games we have no business winning and losing us games we should win. Also, the starting pitching is usually good enough to keep us in most games.

AKA: Things we already knew on April 6.

Dick Allen
07-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Two winnable games, even with Gavin sucking today, but the offense goes into shutdown mode. This team just frustrates the living **** out of me.

guillensdisciple
07-01-2012, 06:44 PM
I wanted a split and we got the split. Zero complaints and 1.5 games up going home.

Lets start winning ball games at home please.

Golden Sox
07-01-2012, 07:24 PM
After winning the first two games I'm disappointed we didn't one of the final two games. We're not built to do well in Yankee Stadium. We're basically a right handed hitting team playing in Yankee Stadium which is built for left handed hitters. Both Rios and Beckham hit long outs today which would of been home runs anywhere else. I'm hoping we can have a good homestand this week.

slavko
07-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Some bad luck involved. We went 1-2-3 in the 8th but there were 4 rockets hit, 2 foul HR's, 2 right at a fielder.

Moses_Scurry
07-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Not crazy about the split after winning the first two, but it could have been worse. Without Tank's bomb in game 1, it's a series loss.

Now we play Texas and Toronto, two teams that have been major pains in the ass over the past few years. Also, is it me or do the Sox play Texas every year during the week of the 4th of July? We go to Lake Wawasee every year for the 4th, and it seems like they are always playing Texas when we are up there. It's the one week of the year that I can watch pretty much every game, since I only get the WGN games here in Indy. Stupid blackout rules.

palehozenychicty
07-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Credit the Yankees. While Sox prematurely celebrated after smacking gazillion HR in taking the first 2, probably partying deep into the night celebrating on Fri and Sat nights...... Girardi & the Yankees seemed to made adjustments.

Kuroda smartly refused to throw a get-me-over pitch down the middle -- even running risk of falling behind. Which he did, but Sox bailed him out each time trying to pull/uppercut everything. He kept going away-away-away, slow, slower -- Sox hitters apparently trying to go yard like they did Thu and Fri, kept jamming themselves instead of hitting a few soft opposite field gorks, putting runners on, getting Kuroda into the slide-step mode....... Phil Hughes merely continued same pattern, although in early innings he was absolutely meat until Yanks gave more margin for error with the lead.

Truth is..... Peavy and Floyd really didn't even the Sox a chance. Giving Yankees early lead, putting the Sox offense in a situation where they had to work uphill ----- one of the reasons Kuroda/Hughes could nibble so much is because they had the LUXURY to do so with the lead.

Peavy pitch selection to Wise, Granderson with less than 2 strikes, same as Jaimmi Carroll in Minnesota.... just awful. Like, literally what you would throw if you tried to lose the game. This is what I meant before: for a wily, savvy veteran who prides himself on being such a big student of the game, Peavy has these spells where his decision-making is bizarre and he seems to be on autopilot...

Floyd is beyond frustrating. He can't pitch from the stretch; he can't get LH out. Only he can go from dominating-mode putting up like 20 scoreless innings over several starts... to Total Meltdown in like 3 seconds flat. That new cutter of his is pure trash. Why did he & Cooper get rid of the SLIDER that used to combat the LH inside so effectively in the past? Was it because it was hurting his elbow? If so, then why didn't Sox trade Floyd while his value was high in the off-season? If not, then he needs to bring it back.

I mean.... was expecting Sox to go 7-0 or better on this road trip, so unreasonable? :bandance:

Exactly. They went to Avenue downtown after Friday night, then Tribeca on Saturday. It happens to teams that come to town.

Adele_H
07-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Exactly. They went to Avenue downtown after Friday night, then Tribeca on Saturday.

Whoa, I didn't say it. You said. Not me. Afterall would my real middle name be "NOTRumourMongerer" if it were not 100% true?

To suggest something like that, is, errr, an affrontery of, uhh, some sort.

Satisfaction, I demand it. On behalf of defamecated players :angry:

Boondock Saint
07-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Whoa, I didn't say it. You said. Not me. Afterall would my real middle name be "NOTRumourMongerer" if it were not 100% true?

To suggest something like that, is, errr, an affrontery of, uhh, some sort.

Satisfaction, I demand it. On behalf of defamecated players :angry:

Be more bitter.